Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #26
JAK®
Upstart

Default Re: All Things Superman: An Open Discussion - Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyIsRKing View Post
Anyway...Good films should make you question the nature of your own reality and your philosophy...in my opinion.
But what if it's not the point of the film to do that?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #27
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Anyway...Good films should make you question the nature of your own reality and your philosophy...in my opinion.
Personally I think films that make you question the nature of your own reality are usually sci-fi and while there are a few of them, they are certainly not the only good movies in the world.

Well yeah, but that's the thing about the word 'good'... It is completely subjective.

IMO a movie doesn't have to do that to be 'good'. It only has to live up to the genre and style it claims to be.

For example, I think 'legally blonde' is a brilliant movie. It is a top notch chick flick. Doesn't make me question anything, it's just feel good.

Superhero movies are a strange genre because they can fit into both the 'fun, feel good, action packed' category (I.e. Thor, Spiderman) or the 'deep, intelligent commentary on society' category (TDK)...

But even then, a lot of people will never recognise a superhero film as 'good'. Or any sci-fi/fantasy for that matter. That's why they very rarely win awards for anything but special effects.

And it's precisely becaus of this attitude of 'escapism' which is basically like saying 'your movie is not good because it's not REAL'... As though any movie is!

I want Superman to be the perfect blend of both styles. I want it to be action packed, I want some fun Lois and Clark teasing banter, i want jimmy's infectious enthusiasm to make me smile - and I want it to be set in a modern day context, too see how Superman could come about BECAUSE of today's society of war and greed. I want that human struggle for Clark, and the truly evil nature of Lex, and the difficulty of having to face Zod, who represents the last tie to you home world.

And you know what, I couldn't give a damn if it falls into some people' s 'good' book.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #28
WeasleyIsRKing
Side-Kick

Hopefulsuicide, you are right. Everything has their own definition of what a good film is...its subjective. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences.

Guess I was just trying to point out that at their core...comic books and superhero films in general have the potential to be so much more than just escapism.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #29
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Clive Owen for Lex Luthor!
Jeffrey Dean Morgan for Perry White!
Now wait a minute... Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Perry White? Really? You know who Perry White is right?

Old 06-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #30
El Payaso
Banned User

Everyone who defines a superhero movie as just social issues or just escapism is just limiting the genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
when I watch The Hangover or Dude, Where's My Car? I don't question my own reality or philosophy....I just laugh my ass off
And those aren't presicely good movies.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 AM   #31
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Earle View Post
Now wait a minute... Jeffrey Dean Morgan as Perry White? Really? You know who Perry White is right?
Yeah...

He's that dude who runs the daily globe, right? Who cares, I just think JDM is like sooooo awesome, I've got that as my status to be cool...

OR

Yes, and I think JDM would make an amazing 'bark is louder than his bite' Perry, who can incorporate an almost fatherly presence at times, and who always stands his ground.

Also about the right age I'd want for him. I don't want a really old Perry like the last movies.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 06-13-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #32
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Hopefulsuicide, you are right. Everything has their own definition of what a good film is...its subjective. Everyone has their own tastes and preferences.

Guess I was just trying to point out that at their core...comic books and superhero films in general have the potential to be so much more than just escapism.
I think they already are more.

You don't have to include a lot of 'speechy' type lines, or in depth conversations about moral complexities and political implications to get more out of the concept than 'cool, he can fly, wish I could fly'

Even the simplist of stories can shed light on society, without it being the central purpose of the film.

And I don't know how you can do a Superman story that has NO escapism value. Even back when they had him fighting the Nazis, he stood as a symbol of hope. A fantasy people could escape into.

In today's society it should be just as relatable, as long as they have his world be the same as our own. Have him out there in the middle of a war in the middle east, and suddenly the film becomes both a comment on what's real and a fantasy about a man who could make it all better.

*\S/T*
Old 06-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #33
WeasleyIsRKing
Side-Kick

I really liked JDM on the show Supernatural and in Watchmen. Haven't seen him in anything else. I could see him channel the father figure from Supernatural in the role of Perry White.

Agreed, tired of seeing Perry be old. This is a modern update, right?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #34
Sam
Im Always Around

Looks like we wont have any Man of Steel news at San Diego Comic-Con...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/bu...er=rss&emc=rss

Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #35
Alientraveller
Side-Kick

Wow, a Comic-Con without Snyder, that'd be weird.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #36
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Well info Henry is there promoting 'Immortals', we might get some snippets about how it's all going at least.

*\S/T*
Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 PM   #37
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Yeah...

He's that dude who runs the daily globe, right? Who cares, I just think JDM is like sooooo awesome, I've got that as my status to be cool...

OR

Yes, and I think JDM would make an amazing 'bark is louder than his bite' Perry, who can incorporate an almost fatherly presence at times, and who always stands his ground.

Also about the right age I'd want for him. I don't want a really old Perry like the last movies.
Well he is the editor of one of the best newspapers, so he cant be too young.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #38
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Well no... is a 45 year old with greying hair too young tho?

Just think about it, I think it'd be incredible.

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 06-13-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #39
Mr. Earle
Banned User

I think girls will be expecting Lois to hook up with him considering how hot they think he is.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #40
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
I think girls will be expecting Lois to hook up with him considering how hot they think he is.
Just like men will be expecting every man in the movie to hook up with Diane Lane?

*\S/T*
Old 06-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #41
Mr. Earle
Banned User

She's too old. JDM isnt THAT old. Maybe i'm exaggerating. I think he really works in fatherly roles (he was great in Supernatural) so he could be Jor El.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #42
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Looks like we wont have any Man of Steel news at San Diego Comic-Con...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/13/bu...er=rss&emc=rss
Just as I expected. Regardless, it's nice to have confirmation at last.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #43
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

I have no idea how people can be surprised The Dark Knight Rises won't be there. Since when has Nolan brought one of his flicks to Comic Con?

As for The Man of Steel, I figure they'll release something around that time like a first look at Cavill on the cover of EW or something. We'll see.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #44
Mr. Earle
Banned User

Didnt we get the teaser for TDK in comicon?

Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #45
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

this is disappointing

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 06-13-2011, 01:11 PM   #46
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
She's too old. JDM isnt THAT old. Maybe i'm exaggerating. I think he really works in fatherly roles (he was great in Supernatural) so he could be Jor El.
JDM is 45, Diane Lane is 46.

And I just don't see JDM as Jor-el. Jor-el is more clean cut, more straight, calm, intelligent. Perry can be a bit rough around the edges. Proffesional, but not someone you'd want to mess with.

I dunno, maybe it is a weird choice, but he's not just a choice I like, he's literally the only suggestion that I really really like. I think the other one that I thought would be okay would be DeNiro, but that was mostly for the star power he'd bring to the film.

*\S/T*
Old 06-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #47
GreenKToo
In the fire

I still think John Goodman would be an excellent Perry. As would Ed Harris.

Old 06-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #48
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I still think John Goodman would be an excellent Perry. As would Ed Harris.
I see Ed Harris as Sam Lane myself

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM   #49
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

JDM could work as White but it remains to be seen if they're going with the same White we all know or going with a younger White.

At any rate, I WANT Clive Owen as Luthor. His character in Closer was both likeable and nasty at the same time. Perfect for Luthor.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 PM   #50
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Clive Owen can't act to save his life. He has the most deadpan unexpresionless voice I have ever heard. Tom Welling could give him lessons.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Closed Thread