The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: How much do you think X-Men: First Class will earn worldwide?
$0 50 million 0 0%
$50 100 million 4 6.90%
$100 150 million 10 17.24%
$150 200 million 3 5.17%
$200 250 million 5 8.62%
$250 300 million 5 8.62%
$300 350 million 4 6.90%
$350 400 million 14 24.14%
$400 450 million 6 10.34%
$450 500 million 5 8.62%
$500+ million 2 3.45%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #76
chaseter
Bland User

Default Re: The Official X-Men: First Class Box Office Discussion Thread! - Part 1

That is what I guessed. I think it will make around 25 million this week including this weekend. Then another 12 next week, 6 after that, then probably die off the week after with 2-3 million. It should have a nice domestic tally of about 150 million.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #77
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: The Official X-Men: First Class Box Office Discussion Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
That is what I guessed. I think it will make around 25 million this week including this weekend. Then another 12 next week, 6 after that, then probably die off the week after with 2-3 million. It should have a nice domestic tally of about 150 million.
I wish it was more. I really want a sequel to this .

I NEED to see Fassbender in action wearing his Magneto costume!!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #78
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

$150 million isn't a bad domestic total, really.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #79
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
$150 million isn't a bad domestic total, really.
Yeah, but that's what it cost to make the film. Usually if a film can't top its budget Domestically, the studios feel a sequel won't make them any profit. Fantastic Four 2 and Daredevil come to mind, as does Superman Returns.

Why Sony agreed to finance a Ghost Rider beats me, but they did cut the film's budget in half so maybe they're expecting a similar $130 Million return that would double their production budget.

This film needed to make about the same as Origins to guarantee a sequel and its gonna be hard for it to reach $180 Million in-house

I really want a sequel. Not an X4.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #80
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

It's not a situation where they'll choose one over the other in regards to X4 or a First Class sequel. Fox wanted both, as well as another Wolverine film (which is likely to be the next film that goes into production).

Old 06-14-2011, 03:28 PM   #81
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenReilly19 View Post
It's not a situation where they'll choose one over the other in regards to X4 or a First Class sequel. Fox wanted both, as well as another Wolverine film (which is likely to be the next film that goes into production).
I'm pretty sure the studio doesn't intend to invest money in two different X-Men [team] franchises. Evidence being back when Origins came out, Rothman addressed it as "the next X-Men property" giving it prevalence over any other X-Men-related endeavour. In other words, the money Origins made financed First Class and whatever money First Class makes will finance either the sequel or an X4.

The Wolverine franchise is being treated separately in the vein of their Daredevil and Fantastic Four franchises. Primarily because it follows the divide and conquer route FOX took after X3. To spend another $150 Million on a First Class sequel and simultaneously spend $250+ on an X4 wouldn't make alot of sense with their current strategy.

To me X4 doesn't make alot of sense, period. Jackman and Berry alone will cost $20 Million each and the same goes for McKellen and Patrick Stewart. Paquin is also very expensive now with the ongoing success of TruBlood and Ben Foster is making $5 Million a movie now. The cast alone would eat up the entire production budget of a First Class sequel which is why I'm pretty sure that's what they'll do next if they indeed greenlight a follow-up.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #82
chaseter
Bland User

Yes they will. They can't make X4, X5, X6, X7, etc. The Wolverine, Deadpool, X4, X5, and First Class 2 are all in talks. How many solo films will actually work? I even think a full on Deadpool movie will bomb. He's just too much for the General Audience. They scrapped a Magneto solo movie for crap's sake.

So what are their options with this franchise? X4, maybe X5? That isn't enough. I would bet all the money I have that they will make a First Class sequel.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:34 PM   #83
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
I'm pretty sure the studio doesn't intend to invest money in two different X-Men [team] franchises. Evidence being back when Origins came out, Rothman addressed it as "the next X-Men property" giving it prevalence over any other X-Men-related endeavour. In other words, the money Origins made financed First Class and whatever money First Class makes will finance either the sequel or an X4.

The Wolverine franchise is being treated separately in the vein of their Daredevil and Fantastic Four franchises. Primarily because it follows the divide and conquer route FOX took after X3. To spend another $150 Million on a First Class sequel and simultaneously spend $250+ on an X4 wouldn't make alot of sense with their current strategy.

To me X4 doesn't make alot of sense, period. Jackman and Berry alone will cost $20 Million each and the same goes for McKellen and Patrick Stewart. Paquin is also very expensive now with the ongoing success of TruBlood and Ben Foster is making $5 Million a movie now. The cast alone would eat up the entire production budget of a First Class sequel which is why I'm pretty sure that's what they'll do next if they indeed greenlight a follow-up.
I'm telling you, they wanted both.

Here's a recent quote from the First Class writers where they mention it as well:

"It's very possible that you are going to see two different tracks of X-Men films developing, with more movies set during the 60s or 70s in the First Class continuity and also the existing film series continuing."

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...rly-inclu.html

Not to mention Lauren Shuler-Donner pitched X4 to Bryan Singer, when Singer was still attached to direct First Class and he told her to hold off on it, until after First Class.

They even turned in a completed treatment into the studio before First Class was released.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #84
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Yes they will. They can't make X4, X5, X6, X7, etc. The Wolverine, Deadpool, X4, X5, and First Class 2 are all in talks. How many solo films will actually work? I even think a full on Deadpool movie will bomb. He's just too much for the General Audience. They scrapped a Magneto solo movie for crap's sake.
I agree.

Quote:
So what are their options with this franchise? X4, maybe X5? That isn't enough. I would bet all the money I have that they will make a First Class sequel.
Its the smartest thing to do financially and critically. First Class may not be doing great at the BO but its the highest rated summer popcorn movie on RT (87%). Its a MUCH better film than THOR and still slightly better than Super 8. I'm pretty sure Green Lantern won't top its quality, and neither will HP7 or TF3. Cap is the wild card [with that gorgeous trailer].

I don't see FOX gathering together the millionaire cast from the trilogy and spending Avatar numbers on an X4.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #85
psyonic
X-Man

I bet Jackman would work even if he doesn't get paid as much as 20 million, he loves the X-Men franchise. Berry, Marsden and Paquin have shown interest to return, not sure about Janssen, Stewart, Romijn or Mckellan. I think Ashmore, Page, Foster and Cudmore will return if asked.

If X4 happens, it has the potential to be a huge hit.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #86
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
I bet Jackman would work even if he doesn't get paid as much as 20 million, he loves the X-Men franchise.
Even if Jackman were to take a paycut, it wouldn't be entirely up to him. The agency that represents him would not allow him to lower his salary more than 50% for a studio picture with what will probably be a $200+ Million budget. Actors like Jackman, superstars, can't sell themselves short - just for the sake of maintaining their superstar image. This is pretty much what happened with Norton on TIH. They got cheap on him and as much as he loved the character, he walked. Its financially irresponsible to allow a studio to undercut you. That's Hollywood. If it were to be an independent feature, then its no biggie, hell - some actors will work for free to do small films.

Quote:
Berry, Marsden and Paquin have shown interest to return
Marsden is cheap but Berry and Paquin aren't. At least $20 Million between the two of them.

Quote:
not sure about Janssen, Stewart, Romijn or Mckellan. I think Ashmore, Page, Foster and Cudmore will return if asked.
Ellen Page will say no. Romijn, Ashmore, Cudmore and Janssen won't cost alot, but Foster, McKellen and Stewart will cost at least another $30 Million combined.

Quote:
If X4 happens, it has the potential to be a huge hit.
I would watch it, no doubt, but its just unlikely for the studio to blow that much money on something that might not make it back.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #87
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Patrick Stewart has shown Intrest In returning.He made comment as First Class was about to be release reminding people he and Ian Mckellan are still around and available
for future films.I don't know If Ian Mckellan after The Hobbit wants to return to X-Men.
But If Bryan Singer directs that IS a good chance of him returning.Also matthew Vaughn talked about for a First Class sequel having a flashford with him and Stewart.I don't know
about Rebecca Romijn but I am pretty sure no attempt will be made to bring back Famke janssen.Even If Singer were to totally Ignore The Last Stand they aren't bringing Jean back.I am sure Shawn Ashmore would return.But I have doudts any actors from the
Last Stand will be asked back.And even If they do I have doudts Ellen Page would return.With the exception of Inception she does small films where she largely does the same character type of Juno.

If there Is a Deadpool movie actully made It will be done on small budget.And If Deadpool Isn't In production by end of next year It ainet happening.

As I have siad I will bet everyone It was bryan Singer who came up with the X4 outline.

With The Wolverine now likely coming out In 2013 the earliest I could see X4 Is In 2015.Hugh Jackman would likely want some time In between films.I have always believed you
could a first Class sequel set In late 1960's or early 1970's allowing you to use the same cast without a lot of makeup to make them look older do X4 and then do a third first Class when teenage Cyclops,Teenage Jean,and Teenage Storm are Introduced.

Don't forget If actors start asking too much for x4 a couple could be dropped.I seriously doudt Patrick Stewart would ask for 20 Million.He never asked that much for star Trek Films.If Halle Berry Insists on same for x4 as Hugh jackman they could drop her.And few are going to be complaning too much If she's not In It.Anna Paquin would get more now but I doudt she would want that much.

The danger on there not being a First Class sequel If If It does what The Incredible Hulk and fantastic Four:Rise of the Silver Surfer did domesticly.Fox could come away with audence will only show up for cast members from earlier X films.Even If there IS a First Class sequel except a reduced budget.With the domestic Box Office they may Insist on a 100-110 Million budget similar to X2.

The fact It hit 100 Million monday was rare piece of good news on the Box Office.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #88
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
Even if Jackman were to take a paycut, it wouldn't be entirely up to him. The agency that represents him would not allow him to lower his salary more than 50% for a studio picture with what will probably be a $200+ Million budget. Actors like Jackman, superstars, can't sell themselves short - just for the sake of maintaining their superstar image. This is pretty much what happened with Norton on TIH. They got cheap on him and as much as he loved the character, he walked. Its financially irresponsible to allow a studio to undercut you. That's Hollywood. If it were to be an independent feature, then its no biggie, hell - some actors will work for free to do small films.

Marsden is cheap but Berry and Paquin aren't. At least $20 Million between the two of them.

Ellen Page will say no. Romijn, Ashmore, Cudmore and Janssen won't cost alot, but Foster, McKellen and Stewart will cost at least another $30 Million combined.

I would watch it, no doubt, but its just unlikely for the studio to blow that much money on something that might not make it back.
How do you know Ellen Page will say no? lol .. she said yes to X3 .. Famke Janssen got 13 million for X3 and if the original cast returns, people will watch this movie.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #89
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I will be stunned If ELlen Page were to return.And besides I think they would be more
Intrested In getting Anna Paquin.If X4/X5 Involves adapting Days of Future Past I see
them giving Rogue the role Kitty had In the comics.I just don't see Famke Janssen
returning.Even If they Ignore X-Men The Last Stand they aren't bring Jean back.They
aren't going to spend a lot of time getting out of hole Brett Ratner put characters In.
If Bryan Singer directs I firmly believe he will work on getting as many X-Men and X2 actors as he can.Famke Janssen won't be one of them.If Halle Berry asks for too much
they would drop storm.It's more likely Singer would want to try to get Alan Cumming back as Nightcrawler than try to get Kelsey grammer(who I also would be shocked to see return) Page,and Ben Foster back.If Ian Mckellan won't return or for some reason they can't make deal with him they could bring entrie new cast group of villians.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #90
Angamb
Banned User

Good monday!!!

better than Wolverine and close to X1.

Im happy. I was expecting a bit less.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #91
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I will be stunned If ELlen Page were to return.And besides I think they would be more
Intrested In getting Anna Paquin.If X4/X5 Involves adapting Days of Future Past I see
them giving Rogue the role Kitty had In the comics.I just don't see Famke Janssen
returning.Even If they Ignore X-Men The Last Stand they aren't bring Jean back.They
aren't going to spend a lot of time getting out of hole Brett Ratner put characters In.
If Bryan Singer directs I firmly believe he will work on getting as many X-Men and X2 actors as he can.Famke Janssen won't be one of them.If Halle Berry asks for too much
they would drop storm.It's more likely Singer would want to try to get Alan Cumming back as Nightcrawler than try to get Kelsey grammer(who I also would be shocked to see return) Page,and Ben Foster back.If Ian Mckellan won't return or for some reason they can't make deal with him they could bring entrie new cast group of villians.
You're making a lot of assumptions about people asking for more money or people who will be asked to return and who won't return.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #92
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The monday showing was better than I expected after hearing of the estimaes on Sunday.It made close to 3 million.A danger I thought would be it would barely hit 2 mIllion.It was good sign It hit 100 Million Monday and not on Tuesday.If it can stay In
the 2 million range on Weekdays this week It could hit 106 Million before Green Lantern
hits.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #93
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
Good monday!!!

better than Wolverine and close to X1.

Im happy. I was expecting a bit less.
The Monday number is fine and a little bit higher than I thought that it would be but Wolverine is not a good comparasion as an early May release has different weekdays than a June release.

The movie is still running slightly behind X-Men and the movie faces GL this weekend so it's not out of the water yet. It has to drop well against GL or it's not going to make as much as the first movie domestically.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:10 PM   #94
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
You're making a lot of assumptions about people asking for more money or people who will be asked to return and who won't return.
OK I accept that.Yes we can't be sure how much people would ask.I just
have serious doudts Ellen Page would return.Just Like with Kelsey Grammer
who publicly said he hoped X-Men The Last Stand would be last film.

With Famke Janssen I just don't see a way to bring her back.If they were to Ignore The Last Stand it wouldn't be alternate version of the Phoenix story.
And If they don't Ignore Last Stand they killed Jean off.And I just don't think
they would spend a whole lot of time undoing certain things the Last Stand
did.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #95
Hamill-Joker
Side-Kick

You don't have to have McKellen reprise Magneto.

Just have Fassbender play old Magneto. They can do a lot with make-up these days.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:29 PM   #96
Angamb
Banned User

Im not worried about domestic gross.

If the worldwide boxoffice ends bigger than X1, it will be perfect for me.

And if its close to Wolverine, amazing.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #97
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Unless your movie is making Pirates level money the studio worries more about the domestic boxoffice as they get more cash from it.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #98
Angamb
Banned User

The most important thing for a studio is the total gross.

The domestic gross is a part of the total, but the money its the money, wherever it comes from.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #99
MARVEL ROCKS
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
The Monday number is fine and a little bit higher than I thought that it would be but Wolverine is not a good comparasion as an early May release has different weekdays than a June release.

The movie is still running slightly behind X-Men and the movie faces GL this weekend so it's not out of the water yet. It has to drop well against GL or it's not going to make as much as the first movie domestically.
pretty much.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM   #100
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
OK I accept that.Yes we can't be sure how much people would ask.I just
have serious doudts Ellen Page would return.Just Like with Kelsey Grammer
who publicly said he hoped X-Men The Last Stand would be last film.

With Famke Janssen I just don't see a way to bring her back.If they were to Ignore The Last Stand it wouldn't be alternate version of the Phoenix story.
And If they don't Ignore Last Stand they killed Jean off.And I just don't think
they would spend a whole lot of time undoing certain things the Last Stand
did.
I hope you're right. As much as I hate many things that were done in x3, the worst thing you can do is devote a movie to undoing it or ignoring it. Which is why I dont want an x4, cuz I just dont see how it will work.

Ignoring or undoing events of the movie make the series a joke with no credibility. Going with the events of the movie gives us a sequel without Cyclops, jean, rogue, or Xavier.

Theoretically, we could exist without magneto because that could make way for sinister or someone. But no Xavier, jean, Cyclops or rogue leaves us with a team of storm (?) and wolverine (?) - assuming Jackman and berry come back - a powerless rogue (unless of course we convolute the movie by undoing the cure), and characters like colossus, iceman, and kitty pryde which might work in an 80's comic run, but not quite as well in the movies. But then again banshee, havok and beast worked.

I dont know, I just dont really see where x4 could go that wouldn't take the franchise in an incredibly different direction that taints the credibility and legacy of the films. I think they are already close to ruining the legacy with all these directors who dont want to be bound to the other movies and all this talk of ignoring this film or that film. First class worked, but I think they're really starting to push it.

If these disappointing box office numbers result in no more xmen movies being made, I will be satisfied. Even tho I liked x3 and wolverine, first class brought some dignity back to the franchise, and I think itd be great to see the series end on a high note. Let hugh do his wolverine movies, and call it a day.

Closed Thread