The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #26
Matt Mortem
Mr. Self Destruct

Default Re: The Official X-Men: First Class Rate and Review Thread: Third Edition

Topping FC will be tough. It's hands down one of the best super-hero films I've ever seen!

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #27
JimB
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official X-Men: First Class Rate and Review Thread: Third Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Agreed on everything.

Not a fan of the art on X-Men during the Quitely/Kordey era (including support artists) in general. Cat Beast has nothing on 90s Beast! Jim Lee's stuff (not just Beast) was classic & Joe Mad's crazy dimensions & super-slick style was quite possibly my favourite ever art on X-Men!
lol at the Cat Beast comment. Actually cat is the word that came to my mind when I was trying to figure out why I'm not very fond of the alteration of Beast by that artist. I was tempted to say he resembled a sort of feline more specifically a cat, but then I thought to myself that was the reason he's called Beast. But nah, a beast should not look like a little poor kitty

The Lee and Madureira's beast to cite two great examples of Beast rendition looked actually like a badass beast without losing part of his human traits and scientific intellect.

And thanks for reasserting my thoughts regarding this cool character. I have to live with the current Beast alterarion till another artist do something cooler with his current aspect hehe.

Btw, I miss the work of those two great artists. Too bad Lee went to pencil Batman, which imho, his art doesn't look as good or shine as much as when he used the pencil the X-men.

Last edited by JimB; 06-17-2011 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Vocabulary correction
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #28
Scarlettess
and a 1..2..3..4

So went to see X-Men First Class yesturday, and i have to say i was very very pleased by the result. I was very skeptical of how this movie would turn out after Wolverine and the skeptism everyone was making in some of the other threads. So here's a short summary:

Action - 9/10 - was very good, really drew you in into the fights, though he CGI maybe could have been better in some scenes.
Story - 9/10 - seemed very fast paced imo, but very good none the less, had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
Characters- 10/10 - got everyone spot on imo, though would have liked to see Emma Frost and Havok have more screentime. LOVED Nicholas Hault as Hank, James McAvoy was amazing as Professor X, and Kevin Bacon as Magneto, these three absolutely shone for me.
Costumes - I too felt Beasts reveal was a tad bit wierd, but everything after was great, liked not loved the costumes at the end, I don't know i think they could have made them better. Magneto's costume at the end...wth? looked great from the back but had me stumped when i saw it, though i love the helmet.

Movie Overall - 8/10 - overall fully enjoyed it, though at times felt it was dragging a bit and the movie was a bit too long.

Would i go see it again - Hell Yes!

Better than X-2 - very close but i think X-2 just skims the surface this time.

So there's my review

Scarlettess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 AM   #29
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettess View Post
So went to see X-Men First Class yesturday, and i have to say i was very very pleased by the result. I was very skeptical of how this movie would turn out after Wolverine and the skeptism everyone was making in some of the other threads. So here's a short summary:

Action - 9/10 - was very good, really drew you in into the fights, though he CGI maybe could have been better in some scenes.
Story - 9/10 - seemed very fast paced imo, but very good none the less, had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
Characters- 10/10 - got everyone spot on imo, though would have liked to see Emma Frost and Havok have more screentime. LOVED Nicholas Hault as Hank, James McAvoy was amazing as Professor X, and Kevin Bacon as Magneto, these three absolutely shone for me.
Costumes - I too felt Beasts reveal was a tad bit wierd, but everything after was great, liked not loved the costumes at the end, I don't know i think they could have made them better. Magneto's costume at the end...wth? looked great from the back but had me stumped when i saw it, though i love the helmet.

Movie Overall - 8/10 - overall fully enjoyed it, though at times felt it was dragging a bit and the movie was a bit too long.

Would i go see it again - Hell Yes!

Better than X-2 - very close but i think X-2 just skims the surface this time.

So there's my review
Kevin Bacon as Magneto

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #30
JimB
Side-Kick

Atually he didn't look that bad with that sleek cool helmet

JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #31
nite-owl
Side-Kick

I give 8.5/10, my only real problems with the movie was that some parts were rushed which I don't think can be helped. My main issue with the film was that some of the dialogue was downright terrible.

nite-owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #32
Sebastos
Bebop User

I saw FC last weekend and a week later I can finally sit down and wrap my head around it. I won't post a lengthy review but just simply say that I LOVED IT. I had already seen a few snippets from the movie before it's release but that didn't affect the great time I had watching this, nope, not one bit. I was hooked from start to finish, from the acting, to the story, to the special effects....a real job well done to Vaughn, Singer and crew. FC left me wanting more, i'll be first in line upon DVD release!

9/10

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Sebastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:30 PM   #33
ronny
Banned User

Amazing, AMAZING film. Not a dull performance in the whole thing and showed each character as a nuanced person with their own foibles and quirks. Seeing Magneto slowly become drunk with power was tragic and the finale sent chills up my spine.
I give it a strong 10/10 and believe it to be the best X-Men film ever made.

Now, here's hoping we see the Four Horsemen on screen one day soon! This director could certainly pull it off.

ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
Visceral
Side-Kick

It was a good film mainly driven by Fassbender giving us a reason to care beyond wolverine in this universe. That said I could have used more Fassbender, mystiques background was too nice.

I need to know that every single one of you would die for the man next to him.
Visceral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #35
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Finally got to see it today.....great movie. I had managed to keep most of it spoiler free before I saw it (there were a couple of things I found out before hand...because afterall, many fanboys on here can't consider themselves alive unless they are spoiling something)....so there were some good surprises for me. It's one of the best in the franchise.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #36
protocida
Side-Kick

I've finally watched it.

Amazing movie. The best movie I've seen this year and one of the best comic book movies ever made, if not the best. Great Script, great cast, great special effects, great pacing, great action scenes... Everything was mindblowingly good. Makes me wish I could have seen it earlier and be part of the forum frenzy that happens in the first two weeks...

In summary, I loved it and I hope they make a sequel as fast as possible.

10/10.

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:13 PM   #37
Angamb
Banned User

wow, protocida, Im surprised about your such a positive review, hehe

"one of the best, if not the best"?

I would like to know how would you rate Batman Begins/Dark Knight/Watchmen.... to name a few.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #38
Scarlettess
and a 1..2..3..4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Kevin Bacon as Magneto
haha oops! lol I meant to say Fassbender haha i think it was just because i was reading the posts before everyone was mentioning Kevin Bacon lol but yeah he was good too.

Scarlettess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #39
protocida
Side-Kick

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are some of my favorites, but I often find them too long and/or boring on some parts. Especially The Dark Knight. X-Men: First Class was very energetic and fast-paced, which earns it many points when you rewatch it.

Not a big fan of Watchmen.

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:51 PM   #40
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Watched it the other day between the preview screening of Green Lantern, Super 8, and the midnight premiere of Green Lantern. In all the hoopla for GL I never offered up my thoughts on Super 8 or First Class. But I expected not to like it at all, because of Matt Vaughn, but I thought it was pretty good. I'm not too big on the X-Men comics, but Azazel was my favorite character power/looks-wise, Magneto was my favorite character-wise.

My only real complaint: I didn't really like Angel or Emma.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 AM   #41
katie_girl09
All kinds of smexy.

It was a good movie. Was it deserving of its current 87% on Rotten Tomatoes? I don't think so. This movie - while I liked it - has some serious flaws (a severe lack of character development and unfocused action sequences being among them). There were also times when I felt like I was watching a 60s James Bond movie (soooo not into James Bond, you don't understand).

Still, I'd give it an 8/10.

katie_girl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #42
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

A severe lack of character development?! I'm sorry but what movie were you watching?

Magneto is developed throughout the film! Xavier and Mystique had great character development too for their cinematic story arcs. The other X-men had small but good development too especially Beast.

There are a few who we don't learn much about or get to watch them develop but you can't develop so many characters in a 2 hour film.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Spideyfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 12:03 PM   #43
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
A severe lack of character development?! I'm sorry but what movie were you watching?

Magneto is developed throughout the film! Xavier and Mystique had great character development too for their cinematic story arcs. The other X-men had small but good development too especially Beast.

There are a few who we don't learn much about or get to watch them develop but you can't develop so many characters in a 2 hour film.
Well considering that Havok and Banshee got absolutely nothing, he was probably watching X-Men: First Class.

You are right - the characters that got developed got developed brilliantly. Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, Beast, and Shaw were all handled well. Even characters like Emma Frost and Moira, while not getting huge development, were given distinct personalities that separated them from the rest.

But, Havok and Banshee got nothing. Angel got nothing except a pointless turn that served no purpose other than to have someone turn. Darwin got nothing, but I'll admit his death scene was well executed.

While Riptide and Azazel got nothing, they didn't really need anything. Secondary villains always get the shaft. That's just how it is.

But Havok and Banshee certainly got nothing. Angel inexplicably went from one end of the spectrum to the other. That's where the characterization lacked significantly.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #44
Paroxysm
Banned User

I watched this again last night and I loved it. My only complaint and it's really not that big of one is Fassbender's accent. It kinda bugged me. Magneto sounded too Irish. I know Fassbender's German/Irish but yeah it was just weird. lol

Paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:06 PM   #45
JP
Smelly

Severe lack of character development will always plague this franchise. Save for certain characters in X1, I've never really had a problem with it.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #46
HaloCod27
Banned User

Coming out of the theater, I only had one emotion: rage.

Why? Because this movie is pretty darn perfect and it deserves a lot more recognition and I wish it was doing better in the box office.

I had a great audience, they only laughed at the funny parts.

They especially loved the
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
cameo of Wolverine and him saying to F off, and they loved Xavier's bald comments.

I give this movie 9.5/10

HaloCod27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:37 PM   #47
katie_girl09
All kinds of smexy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
Well considering that Havok and Banshee got absolutely nothing, he was probably watching X-Men: First Class.
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Severe lack of character development will always plague this franchise. Save for certain characters in X1, I've never really had a problem with it.
True. But considering how seriously this movie took itself I would have expected more.

katie_girl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #48
JP
Smelly

I thought it was the first X-Men film that didn't take itself too seriously.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #49
By your Command
Danger Room Technician

^I agree with this, if Beast had come out in the hangar with his new look in front of the old cast, there would have been deep philosophical conversations about it, and Wolverine probably would have cried.

BRYAN SINGER: "Don't be so sure..."
By your Command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:37 PM   #50
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

This movie was amazing, easily the best X-Men movie. The only that comes close is X-Men 2, which is the only X-Men movie I liked prior to seeing First Class. It far surpassed my expectations of the movie, Fox sorta did a bad job promoting the movie. The only reason I saw it was because of the great word of mouth. The action, script & acting were all fantastic. It's great to see that Fox has finally got their crap together, I can't wait for The Wolverine, Deadpool & the inevitable First Class 2.

I'm not sure if I liked it more than Thor, but it's easily in my top 5 favorite super hero movies.