The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #51
Paroxysm
Banned User

Default Re: The Official X-Men: First Class Rate and Review Thread: Third Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
This movie was amazing, easily the best X-Men movie. The only that comes close is X-Men 2, which is the only X-Men movie I liked prior to seeing First Class. It far surpassed my expectations of the movie, Fox sorta did a bad job promoting the movie. The only reason I saw it was because of the great word of mouth. The action, script & acting were all fantastic. It's great to see that Fox has finally got their crap together, I can't wait for The Wolverine, Deadpool & the inevitable First Class 2.

I'm not sure if I liked it more than Thor, but it's easily in my top 5 favorite super hero movies.
Other production company's had a bigger hand in the making of this movie.

Paroxysm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:53 PM   #52
JP
Smelly

Default Re: The Official X-Men: First Class Rate and Review Thread: Third Edition

Oh boy. Every time Fox has a well received film people always talk about how it had nothing to do with Fox.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #53
Spider-Vader
Mercin' & Workin'

I think Fox is changing a new leaf. First a good R rated Predator movie in vein of the original & now a good X-Men movie. Hell, instead of forcing Scott to make a new Alien movie they're letting him do his own thing. Fox has changed... accept it & don't whine about something good.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #54
JP
Smelly

They had a handful of great 2hour+ films this past year.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 PM   #55
Paroxysm
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Oh boy. Every time Fox has a well received film people always talk about how it had nothing to do with Fox.
I don't know what your talking about. I'm just letting Vader know that other production company's played a bigger part in making this than 20th Century Fox's film production unit.

Why should they get all the credit?

Old 06-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #56
Paroxysm
Banned User

Quote:
I think Fox is changing a new leaf. First a good R rated Predator movie in vein of the original & now a good X-Men movie. Hell, instead of forcing Scott to make a new Alien movie they're letting him do his own thing. Fox has changed... accept it & don't whine about something good.
I never understood the nerd rage with 20 Century Fox. lol

Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 PM   #57
JP
Smelly

Ah, I guess I misinterpreted your post. I thought you were implying that the film was great in spite of Fox, like the people who refuse to give them any credit for Avatar.

Yes, there were different production companies working on the film, but that's the same with most films.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #58
Paroxysm
Banned User

Yeah you should turn off your auto-defend.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:41 PM   #59
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Heh.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #60
mclay18
Side-Kick

I saw it again the other day. After watching that scene with Eric and Raven in Eric's bedroom, I couldn't believe I denied that Rebecca Romijn did a cameo (my eyes were either blurry or off that previous time). Well, it's a nice throwback to the original trilogy aside from that other cameo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroxysm View Post
Other production company's had a bigger hand in the making of this movie.
The Donners' Film Company co-produced all the X-Men films, but that doesn't say much for the varying quality of each one. Fox used two regular co-financing partners, Ingenious Media and Dune Entertainment.

From what FilmNerdJamie said, Fox is gradually letting producers and directors have more creative freedom for their films. It's not just directors who have a long and established resume but with newer directors too. That's very encouraging.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:36 AM   #61
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

It is strange that it's not getting better press than it is. It was 10 times better than I expected.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #62
BMM
Side-Kick

It received great press during its week of release, but with a new blockbuster debuting every week, and the fact that First Class isn't breaking box office records, I guess there are only so many headlines it can occupy. I do wish it received more attention, though.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #63
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Not really, its just about who the director is and who wrote the story.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:37 AM   #64
BMM
Side-Kick

No, it's not. People haven't been complaining for years because Fox just happened to make a few "unlucky choices." It's clearly been a case of studio interference, as well.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #65
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

FOX just picks bad movie concepts and most of the time, those films get a bad director and bad writing staff. Or when they get something interesting, they hire a bad writing team and a bad director.

"Will you control that power or let it control you?" - X3
"Is the future truly set?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #66
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Not my opinion of the film, but someone on another message board that I frequent posted why he thought the film was bad. Some of his points I think are valid, but I think he mostly just comes across as angry toward the X-Men film franchise in general.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
I didn't dislike it because I'm a comic purist, I disliked it because it was just bad. To complain aboout changes would suggest that there they took something and then changed it. But X-Men: First Class isn't really based on the comics or the other movies. It's a reboot that has even less to do with the comics than the movie franchise it's rebooting.

It was like the writers didn't have a clue what they wanted to do with the movie. It makes a couple of nods to the other movies by having some cameos, but it's clearly not consistent with those films and distanced itself from them. It tried to be an origins movie, but it simply didn't have enough time to let any characters shine, most of the film was just thick with exposition, but none of it's very interesting. They clearly just wanted Magneto to be the villain again, but couldn't, so they made Sebastian Shaw a poor man's Magneto with one of the dumbest plans a super villain has ever had. When we finally get some serious action it's dull enough to send anyone to sleep. Explosion - bad CGI flying scene - Michael Ironside looking out a window - bad CGI flying scene - Russian dude looking out a window - Xavier looks constipated. Rince and repeat. I've never seen Michael Ironside look out a window so many ****ing times. And don't get me started with the cold war ********. It's a ****ing x-men movie, I don't give a **** about nuclear proliferation, especially when it's so ham fisted.

So that's what made me hate the movie. The fact that it had nothing to do with the X-Men outside of using the same names and powers and some of them was just the tip of the iceberg.

And since when does a movie either have to be totally different or stick to the source material? Why can't it do both? New story arcs happen in comics all the time, and they stick to the source material. There's no reason why we can't have a movie franchise based on a comic series that tells a new story but doesn't contradict the comics. But I'm not even asking for that, I like plenty of superhero movies, and very few of them stick to the source material. But they still manage to capture what is great about the comics, First Class did no justice to the comics whatsoever. Other than Xavier and Eric, every other mutant was boiled down to their powers and occasionally one shallow personality trait. The Hellfire Club goons barely even spoke, Emma was just a pair of tits (lovely as they were), Havok was angry and Hank and Raven were the worst stereotypes of teens struggling with "being different" I've had to witness in a long time.

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #67
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

I disagree with him on every conceivable level

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #68
JP
Smelly

Pretty much, lol.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #69
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Mortem View Post
I disagree with him on every conceivable level
Same here. He's full of **** with a lot of his points.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #70
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figs View Post
Same here. He's full of **** with a lot of his points.
Which ones?

As for me, I really didn't agree with pretty much everything he said in his second paragraph, especially about the "wash-rinse-repeat" bit.

Some of his stuff, though, like some of the characters not getting enough development is understandable. But, then, it's not really about them; it's about Charles and Eric, despite the title.

I'm sure that when a sequel is made, some of the characters in this film will get more development. I especially want to see Havoc coming into his own as some sort of leader, especially since Xavier's now in a wheelchair. He kind of got just a bit of development, with him having trouble controlling his powers and slowly gaining a little more control of them by the end. And maybe they can use that one flashback scene (where he accidentally kills someone for trying to hurt his sister) to help build up his character some more.

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #71
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

There's about one point I agree with him on, and not even to the extreme that he states it. The rest is meh. He wasn't gonna like it anyways.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #72
Figs
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseGuy487 View Post
Which ones?

Some of his stuff, though, like some of the characters not getting enough development is understandable. But, then, it's not really about them; it's about Charles and Eric, despite the title.
This was one of the few if only things I do agree with in that article.

Here are some things that I didn't agree with.

Quote:
but it simply didn't have enough time to let any characters shine.
Wrong, Magneto and Charles were up front and center the entire film, I would so far as to say Mystique as well.

Quote:
most of the film was just thick with exposition
Um...what?? I don't recall the movie being full of exposition. He makes it sound like it was full of it like Batman Begins.

Quote:
Explosion - bad CGI flying scene - Michael Ironside looking out a window - bad CGI flying scene - Russian dude looking out a window - Xavier looks constipated.
Bad CGI flying scene? A lot of it looked fine to me, there were only brief moments that the CGI wasn't up to par with the rest of it. I don't even want to get into his complaint about Xavier looking constipated. When people use crap like that to rip on a movie, they're childish and their opinion doesn't mean much to me since they're obviously not reviewing the film fairly.

Quote:
When we finally get some serious action it's dull enough to send anyone to sleep. And don't get me started with the cold war ********. It's a ****ing x-men movie, I don't give a **** about nuclear proliferation, especially when it's so ham fisted.
He seems to mainly want action, action, action, especially when he *****es about the film's action being dull and apparently not wanting the film to be deeper and more relevent with using an incident like the Cold War.

Quote:
First Class did no justice to the comics whatsoever/
Laughable. This film felt more like the comics in tone and the vibe than all of the past ones. I understand the first half felt a little off for an X-men film, but everyone knew going into it that it was mainly setting up Xavier and Erik's friendship. The second half when the actual team is formed, that's when this movie had that major X-men feeling.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #73
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Why are we giving any forum space or consideration to that load of negative nonsense anyway? He is so off-kilter with his responses it doesn't seem worth bothering with. it's not as if he has constructive arguments.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #74
Figs
Banned User

edit

Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #75
Project862006
Banned User

I just got back from seeing it for the 1st time and wow i am blown away this was such a great movie and exceeded my expectations.The acting was good all across the board even January who people said was terrible sorry i did'nt see it i thought she was really good also Fassbender was really the stand out but McAvoy gave just as good of a performance.

Who really surprised me was Nicholas Hoult who i have never seen before he was by far the best young mutant he had a very good performance and i look to great things in the future for him.I just wish more of the yougner mutants had more to do because other than Beast,Havoc,Mystique everyone else had little to do.

All in all this was just a great movie from beginning to end and it did'nt even feel like 2+ hours the Magneto hunting scenes were my favorite especially the Bar scene in Argentina it was just epic.The wolverine cameo was so awesome everyone popped for it in the theaters it was done so well also the continuit issues dont bother me because all i cared was for a great movie and i got one so screw continuity.

i give this a 9/10 it is hard to say if it is better than x2 since both films are so different from each other but i honestly think it was better

bring on a damn sequel!!!

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote