The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
GhostPoet
Side-Kick
 
GhostPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 6,447
Default A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

So, for the longest time Star Trek has really been neglected in the gaming frontier. Sure, we get the occasional shooter...but that's not entirely what Trek is about.

Anyway, a couple years ago I had this GREAT idea on how to make a good Star Trek game. An action/role-playing game with a style similiar to Mass Effect. It just seemed like the perfect choice. I could imagine you and an away team ducking behind things, firing phasers, using your tricorder to activate things and study objects. A great story with moral decisions to make. But I said to myself...no. That will never happen. We'll just get another crappy ship-to-ship space shooter.

And then at E3 my dream came true! A Star Trek game in the same style as Mass Effect. YES!!! I can't wait.

GhostPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #2
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side
 
Upset Spideyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,779
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

This is the PSN game correct?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


I'll admit it looks pretty impressive so far.

__________________
Cass: Where are we going?
The Doctor: Back of the ship.
Cass
: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Gotham Knight
Watchful Protector
 
Gotham Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gotham City
Posts: 2,327
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

I'll have to check this out.

Gotham Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,612
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

I thought it was just going to be a straight up shooter? At least that's the impression I got from the trailer.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,753
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

I got a Mass Effect vibe from the trailer

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,612
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Yeah, I just watched the trailer again, and I don't see anything that reminds me of Mass Effect.

Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,907
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Theres a Deep Space 9 one as well.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Donut
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 14,753
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upset Spideyfan View Post
This is the PSN game correct?

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:


I'll admit it looks pretty impressive so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zke_75rTPB8
This trailer is exactly the same but it shows the 360 & PS3 logos

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 13,833
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Looks like Mass Effect to me. Which seems appropriate, since Mass Effect was obviously influenced by Trek.

They should have just gotten Bioware to make them a game.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
Soapy
It's happening again...
 
Soapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 15,612
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Are You Crouching Spock? View Post
Theres a Deep Space 9 one as well.
There's a DS9 game in development??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Looks like Mass Effect to me. Which seems appropriate, since Mass Effect was obviously influenced by Trek.
I mean...yes, there are guns and space ships in it, so it's like Mass Effect in that sense, but that's as far as the similarity goes as far as I can see. There aren't any dialogue options. There aren't any weapon or power wheels. I don't see any kind of squad commands. I haven't heard anything about being able to make choices in the game. Can you level up? Are there talent trees? I haven't seen any.

Other than common sci-fi trappings, I really don't see where the comparison to Mass Effect is coming from.


Last edited by Soapy; 06-13-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Soapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #11
Crockett
With Teeth
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dorne
Posts: 5,953
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

I'd say the gameplay would be more closer to Army of Two than Mass Effect mainly because just like Army of Two, the co-op experience will be the key point to the gameplay.

Anyway it looks fun, can't wait to see more from this.

__________________
The stuff that dreams are made of.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
dodgers2213
Side-Kick
 
dodgers2213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,198
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

looks cool. I been playing Star Trek online. fun as hell

__________________
XBL: Dodgers2213 SSF4-AE, UMvC3, Injustice(when it drops)
-Sagat, Seth
-Wolverine/Dormammu/Doom

Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1936-9586-3562
dodgers2213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,320
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

I might just break down and finally get a PS3 to play this.

And to get the phaser controller

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #14
Crockett
With Teeth
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dorne
Posts: 5,953
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
I might just break down and finally get a PS3 to play this.

And to get the phaser controller
But it's coming to 360 and PC also. Unless you mean by that you don't have any of the three platforms that the game is coming out on.

__________________
The stuff that dreams are made of.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
Lord
All Mighty
 
Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 12,955
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Who's developing this game?

Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #16
Upset Spideyfan
Look on the bright side
 
Upset Spideyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,779
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Digital Extremes.

They developed Dark Sector, BioShock 2 among a bunch of older ports and such and the new Darkness game coming out.

__________________
Cass: Where are we going?
The Doctor: Back of the ship.
Cass
: Why?
The Doctor
: Because the front crashes first. Think it through.
Upset Spideyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,320
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
But it's coming to 360 and PC also. Unless you mean by that you don't have any of the three platforms that the game is coming out on.
I have a PC, but not a 360.

But I think only the PS3 will have the Move Phaser controller.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:08 PM   #18
twylight
One And Only
 
twylight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The twylight zone...
Posts: 26,098
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

I was super excited about this announcement, went running through the house during the Sony panel to tell everyone I could get to listen to me.


And then someone told me that it would probably release in conjunction with the movie and games that do that are never that good. *crushed*

I'm still really excited for it, and echoing this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
I might just break down and finally get a PS3 to play this.

And to get the phaser controller
Ah, sweet, sweet PS3....

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1
twy knows in the first five minutes whether she's going to marry you, bed you, or just be friends.
twylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #19
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,320
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twylight View Post
I was super excited about this announcement, went running through the house during the Sony panel to tell everyone I could get to listen to me.


And then someone told me that it would probably release in conjunction with the movie and games that do that are never that good. *crushed*

I'm still really excited for it, and echoing this:
Even though it's a licensed game, which usually never turn out well, the one thing it has going for it is that it won't be based on next year's movie. It's a prequel to the movie, with a unique storyline.


I would prefer to get a 360 and avoid the Playstation Network, but various things keep from doing so, even though I was very close to getting one to play Mortal Kombat.

And I must have that phaser...

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.

Last edited by wiegeabo; 06-13-2011 at 04:14 PM.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #20
Crockett
With Teeth
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dorne
Posts: 5,953
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
I have a PC, but not a 360.

But I think only the PS3 will have the Move Phaser controller.
I see, the PS3 will also have exclusive DLC as well.

Marianne Krawczyk (God of War series), in collaboration with Orci and Kurtzman is writing the story, that's mint.

__________________
The stuff that dreams are made of.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #21
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,320
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
I see, the PS3 will also have exclusive DLC as well.

Marianne Krawczyk (God of War series), in collaboration with Orci and Kurtzman is writing the story, that's mint.


That's something I noticed out of E3 this year. Sony had tons of exclusives, even with stuff coming out on multiple platforms. Microsoft...not so much.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #22
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,272
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post


That's something I noticed out of E3 this year. Sony had tons of exclusives, even with stuff coming out on multiple platforms. Microsoft...not so much.
Yeah, unless you love Halo I think E3 has been rather disappointing for 360 owners. If I could make the decision all over again I'd choose PS3 over 360 for sure.

As for this game, if it is anything like Mass Effect then it should be very interesting. I hope it's not just a 3rd person shooter but also contains squad commands and skill pts. allocation system.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:59 PM   #23
Crockett
With Teeth
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dorne
Posts: 5,953
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

It's a third-person shooter but the best way to play is with co-op. You can out force field to take cover and you can upgrade your phasers. Spoke got some cool powers he can use on the enemies and there will be some mini-game as well.

You can read Ign's preview.http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1175617p1.html

__________________
The stuff that dreams are made of.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #24
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.
 
E-Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 12,657
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Are You Crouching Spock? View Post
Theres a Deep Space 9 one as well.
Really?!

__________________
I'm straight up lovable, son.
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:40 AM   #25
Why Are You Crouching Spock?
Banned User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,907
Default Re: A new Star Trek game! WOOT!

Yea but it doesn't look very good. Too bad really as Deep Space 9 was iinfinitely more interesting than the other Treks.
Almost every Startrek game has ended up being bad. Barring possibly elite force (which was based on a terrrible show) and Bridge Commander.

Why Are You Crouching Spock? is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.