The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
c-saw
Side-Kick

Default Re: What would you change in the movie?

give it at least 6 more months of production time. Let the quality of the movie evolve organically from that

also, lose january jones or remove her dialogue scenes and give them to riptide instead

c-saw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #27
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

6 more months is way too much time, bruh.

Maybe a month and a half or two months would've been plenty, but then I think the ultimate limitation here wasn't the time, but the money.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:27 PM   #28
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
6 more months is way too much time, bruh.

Maybe a month and a half or two months would've been plenty, but then I think the ultimate limitation here wasn't the time, but the money.

I disagree. The only place where the budget showed was in the special effects and I wasn't really bothered by it. However shooting the movie in such a short timeframe while rewriting the script as they went a long and basically rushing everything ... that showed a lot more in the movie. I would have enjoyed a more polished product and the budget had nothing to do with it to be frank.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:21 PM   #29
BattleCat
Side-Kick

Beast looking like a friendly kitten.

BattleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #30
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-saw View Post
I disagree. The only place where the budget showed was in the special effects and I wasn't really bothered by it. However shooting the movie in such a short timeframe while rewriting the script as they went a long and basically rushing everything ... that showed a lot more in the movie. I would have enjoyed a more polished product and the budget had nothing to do with it to be frank.
I'd like you to explain to me just how in the hell an extra 6 months of extra time would've made the movie so much better, assuming the budget stayed the same.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:23 AM   #31
djkris
PLG Founder

The only thing that bothered me as I was watching the movie was the flight battle between Banshee and Angel. The effects were not so good there and, dare I say, the whole thing looked cheesy. Fortunately it did not take so much time...

Episode VII director:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djkris View Post
If I was a betting man, I would place my chips on Kosinski.
Oh, well, I suppose it's "Episode VIII" then...
djkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #32
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
The codename scene, I personally thought it was kind of cheesy.
Yeah but it made sense.

They just can't have codenames right away.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #33
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I mentioned before that I didn't like the ending... I think it would have been nice if Xavier had a final voice-over in a similar vein to those in X1 and X2, with McAvoy's voice morphing into Stewart's right at the end.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 AM   #34
magneto23
Side-Kick

I would of added a good 25-30 minutes to the run time. Extra time, that most of which, would of been spent on solid character interactions/build ups between Erik/Charles, Charles/Raven, Raven/Erik, and Charles/Moira. All these scenes would be added to that middle act where all these characters are at Xavier's mansion. I would of had a few scenes that showed the beginnings/possibility of a Charles/Moira romance. This would of given more meaning to their little kiss at the end. It would also be used to show an upset/jealous Raven as she is, from her perspective, "losing" Charles to another woman. I would also add a scene with Charles/Raven, similar to their kitchen scene, where she in oh so many words/ways tells him that she wants to be "with" him but is tired of hiding what she really is. And just like in the film I would make Charles totally clueless/incapable of viewing Raven in that way. Which in turn would make her switch over to Erik's side more reasonable/justifiable. I would add a scene or two of Erik pushing Raven toward his way of thinking/him showing her to be proud ect. ect. which (again) would be making her choice at the end more and more reasonable. And of course more Fassbender/McEvoy showcasing Charles/Erik relationship and their philosophies on mutant/mankind future.

- No Angel. That character/storyline would be completely removed/traded for a character like Dazzler. And no, I wouldn't have her nonsensically join the bad guy and fight her friends. She would stay with the good guys throughout.

- Trade Havoc for Sunfire. And add a little more depth to this character along with Banshee. Not much, just a few extra scenes that shed some light on these guys.

- Trade Riptide for another mutant (preferably a character from HFC) . And give this new character dialogue. Make the presence of the character felt (as opposed to a mute) and have them killed off in final battle.

- Add the removed telepathic Xavier/Frost battle. I don't care how "Inception like" it was. Emma needed a cool moment/scene.

- No cameos/references or any connections to previous 4 films. This would be/should be the start of a new series.

- More emotion on Raven's part at the end when she leaves Charles wounded on the beach. Make it look/feel like this moment was heartbreaking for her.

magneto23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 AM   #35
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauronthegreat View Post
...The whole concept with the helmet. (I always imagined that in the films Magneto himself made it in a way to shield himself from Charles, that he alone would know the material of which to make it and using his specific ability of controlling magnetism he would create a field that would protect him from Charles' brain waves, that only he could use it and no one else)
though, it does kinda answer a question I always found myself asking, while watching the original movies, of why he never made helmets for the rest of the brotherhood (especially in X2, when he suspected that Stryker was planning on using cerebro to attack all mutants) he could of at least made an extra one for Mystique

if it is one of a kind

Spider-Fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #36
c-saw
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'd like you to explain to me just how in the hell an extra 6 months of extra time would've made the movie so much better, assuming the budget stayed the same.
At least 6 months. vaughn said he's very anal when he comes to storyboarding and structure and a lot of this movie was made as they went along. I also think the movie could have used a lot more polishing in the dialogue department as a lot of them were clunky and cheesy. I think at least half a year to improve the pacing, structure and polish up the dialogues and other aspects of the movie would have made this a much better prequel, or at least one in which I couldn't have found any real flaws as opposed to now where there are some issues I can't ignore and that probably, with a lot more time, would have probably been addressed.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 AM   #37
LadyVader
Smile like you mean it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCat View Post
And Proto-Beast being obsessed with his damn feet.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #38
protocida
Side-Kick

I'd have a longer version of Darwin's death. Basically, after Shaw absorbs Havok's blast, he stomps the ground and causes an explosion that catches the young mutants. Meanwhile, Azazel tries to stab Darwin, but his blade breaks in Darwin's steel body. Riptide then creates a massive whirlwind, but Darwin becomes wood and withstands the preassure. Suddenly, Azazel catches him and tries to drop him from the sky, but Darwin's body becomes rubber and survives the impact. Just as he is recovering, Angel snakes behind him and acid spits him in the face. While he takes a moment to adapt, Shaw catches him, absorbing the momentum of his attempts to escape, and overloads his body with Havok's energy. He then turns to the mutants and says "I don't like to hurt my own kind. So consider this a warning: Stay out of our way". They then teleport away, while Darwin tries to adapt to the energy inside him. He turns to iron, stone, wood, diamond and sand, before finally fading away into energy before Havok's eyes. His last words are "Alex, this is not your fault".

protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #39
Milu
Batterson J. Manford III

Quote:
Throw in the lingering 'X' in the FOX logo dammit.
I would've replaced the current Fox logo with its Cinemascope counterpart, complete with the "Twentieth Century Fox Presents a Cinemascope Feature" card.

Then again, it'd probably look a little jarring when followed by the modern-looking BHH and Marvel logos.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:34 AM   #40
Apollo
Canned User

I was expecting Charles to start loosing his hair. Especially when he started using Cerebro. Everytime he would use it perhaps parts of his hair would fall out. maybe in the next installment when he uses it more, that will happen

Apollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:53 PM   #41
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milu View Post
I would've replaced the current Fox logo with its Cinemascope counterpart, complete with the "Twentieth Century Fox Presents a Cinemascope Feature" card.

Then again, it'd probably look a little jarring when followed by the modern-looking BHH and Marvel logos.
lol, That would be a great idea...

I wonder if they just didn't have time or money to work on such an effort. I could've been an easier compromise to maybe have the Marvel logo in black and white, but it might be a little confusing--even though the first scenes take place in 1944, they would probably had to have been in black and white too...

Old 06-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #42
Cheshire1996
Side-Kick

I have to say aI would have loved an Emma scene which revolved around a telepathic battle, and not just two characters staring each other down. Something completely jaw-dropping.

Apart from that, not much. I actually liked the character decisions and granted although Angel annoyed me and I think they could have developed her switch from Charles to Erik a little more, she could be developed more in a sequel along with other characters such as Banshee and Havok.

Cheshire1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #43
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
I was expecting Charles to start loosing his hair. Especially when he started using Cerebro. Everytime he would use it perhaps parts of his hair would fall out. maybe in the next installment when he uses it more, that will happen
I have this image of them finding clumps of hair near Cerebro and a trail of tufts leading away from the machine...

Old 06-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #44
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

Not really whole lot that I would have change, just a few things here and there:

- Give Havok, Banshee, and Angel a little more development. They weren't absolutely ignored, I would have wanted the writing to go into a little bit more detail about their backstories or their motivations.

- Brought Emma Frost into the final battle in Cuba; I thought she was a bit shortchanged, plus if they had her it would have given Mystique someone to fight since I thought she was pretty underutilized in the final fight as well.

- The first half of the film was a bit rushed, but not to the point where it was detrimental to the entire film itself; It would have been easier to keep up if they had let a few of the earlier scenes play out a bit longer but I can see why they didn't, the movie was already almost two and a half hours as it is. Nothing is worse than a movie that drags on.

Other than that, I thought the movie was near perfection for me.

SuperT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #45
def28
Side-Kick

The first hour did have a very quick pace to it, but I thought it worked fine.

The ending to me seemed a bit more rushed and not as well executed. The shaky cam/close ups with Banshee and Angel just looked bad when they were chasing eachother. Also there wasnt any one on one fights besides Shaw and Mags that really stuck out to me. So I would have enjoyed some better fights.
I was very disappointed there was not a battle between Emma and Prof X.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #46
Rorschach II
Must investigate further.

There are very few things I didn't like:

- I don't like that a film that's so much about prejudice fell victim to the whole "kill the black guy first" or "kill the black guy only" cliche. Seems like such a silly trope to follow, especially in a film with this subject matter. I know it's a petty complaint and it may have had a thematic purpose to kill off the only African American X-Men on the team, but it kind of made me uncomfortable, 'cause I saw the film in a so-called "black" theater and you could audibly hear people moaning and complaining when it happened.

- I thought Zoe Kravitz was absolutely awful as Angel. Everyone's jumping on the "Hate January Jones" bandwagon now, but I thought she was alright. Nothing special, but okay. She pulled off an icy cold villainess pretty well in my book, and it was never jarring for me to see her on screen. But I swear every time Angel would open her mouth I'd roll my eyes. Next to the high-caliber actors she was on screen with, she looked terrible. Her performance was like something out of a Disney movie. Her scene on the couch with Jennifer Lawrence was particularly bad. Lawrence made her seem like a fish out of water.

- They should've shown a romance developing between Charles and Moira before having that abrupt kiss at the end. Even just a short scene, or maybe a few flirtatious lines of dialogue. Instead, Moira has a major role near the start and then right at the end again, but pretty much disappears throughout the middle of the film, and then there's that kiss out of nowhere. It feels like they kind of shoe-horned that in because they're together for a period in the comics and because they wanted to have that romantic angle for Charles. It would've added more weight to Xavier mind-wiping her if we actually got to see him having true feelings for her, or vice versa, and I think there was space in the running time for it.

- This is one doesn't really count because it's probably more the studio/distributor's fault than anything else, but I think too much was given away in the trailers. It seems silly that Erik developing his powers to the point that he could lift Shaw's submarine at the end was such a major plot thread throughout the film, yet anyone who saw any trailer and most tv spots for the film would've known that he lifts it up at the end. I even saw a promotional interview video on YouTube that showed most of the scene of Erik stopping the missiles on the beach. That's absurd to me. One of the things I loved about The Dark Knight was that none of the trailers or commercials from before the movie was released had even a millisecond of footage from the third act of the film. It really sucks that they feel they need to have spoilers in the trailer to sell the movie.

That's about it.

Last edited by Rorschach II; 06-16-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Rorschach II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:38 AM   #47
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I forgot to mention it, but while I enjoyed that Vaughn went to the trouble or recreating the Poland 1944 scene, I actually found it pretty boring to rewatch and unnecessary to see. You could probably loose that without batting an eyelid.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 AM   #48
SuperFerret
Class Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCat View Post
Yeah, he was all cute and cuddly during that scene when he had Erik by the throat. I'm sure Hank was about to treat him like a big ol' ball of yarn.

Honestly, I'd keep everything the same except for scaly Mystique, making her have blue skin would be enough.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #49
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
Yeah, he was all cute and cuddly during that scene when he had Erik by the throat. I'm sure Hank was about to treat him like a big ol' ball of yarn.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #50
DonnyLebeau
The Ragin' Cajun

Have at least ONE of the Scottish/Irish X-men speak with an even slightly audible accent!!

In particular, Moira being that she's being romanced by a real life Scotsman.