The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-17-2011, 07:09 AM   #351
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Default Re: Russell Crowe in talks to play Jor-El

It just came to me that we could be seeing Crowe and Shannon on screen together. As Jor El and Zod.

Holy ****, is this not awesome?

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 AM   #352
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I was just thinking - this will be the first time I've seen Russel Crowe in a movie where he is not the main character

I think I'll like him better when it's not all about him.

I dont think he's had any supporting roles since he became famous. And he's turned down comicbook-movies so far. Could this really be an indication of the quality of the script or is it another reason? Did he even read the script (or his own part)?

Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #353
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Crowe seems like a guy who reads his scripts.

Maybe it is really good. I'm really starting to believe thats the case when considering the actors accepting the roles for the supporting cast.

So far its ace.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #354
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
It just came to me that we could be seeing Crowe and Shannon on screen together. As Jor El and Zod.

That would pretty killer.
Wont that mean that either Shannon will be older/greyhaired for the present day Zod on Earth or do kryptonians have longer life-spans? Not really important, just a thought.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #355
jthom19802
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I was just thinking - this will be the first time I've seen Russel Crowe in a movie where he is not the main character
Quick and the Dead? Virtuosity? L.A. Confidential?

I'm not being a smarta**, just pointing out those flicks because if you haven't seen any of them then either you don't watch a lot of movies or I'm just old.

Speaking of being old, my birthday arrives in 16 hours so be nice.

jthom19802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #356
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

Yeah, Crowe hasn't played a supporting role in anything in (I think) over a decade.

Sgt.Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:22 AM   #357
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthom19802 View Post
Quick and the Dead? Virtuosity? L.A. Confidential?

I'm not being a smarta**, just pointing out those flicks because if you haven't seen any of them then either you don't watch a lot of movies or I'm just old.

Speaking of being old, my birthday arrives in 16 hours so be nice.

He wasnt a big star back then. And Virtuosity doesnt count, you know.

Bud White in LA Confidential is probably my favorite Crowe-performance.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #358
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
Brando was playing Reeve's biological father. It's not necessary that they look alike, but it's a nice touch if possible.
Yeah, and Jor-El and Kal-El are supposed to look almost exactly alike. In Mario Puzo's first draft for STM he specified that the actor who plays Superman should also play Jor-El, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I just pray at the moment that Jor el won't be portrayed or represented as some all powerful and knowing hypocrite in this film as he was in the Donner films.

Like I said before, his FIRST and ONLY priority when it comes to sending his son to a new world is that his son has the chance for surviving their race's doomed fate and having a better future.

No, "you will be Earth's greatest hero since I have made that to be your destiny" nonsense.

I want to really see on how sad Jor el is that he won't ever get to see his son grow up.

Also, personally, I'm sort of leaning against the idea of Clark being presented with some form of way of communicating with his dead father like he was able to in the previous films (regardless if it was spirit or AI).
Yes, no Jor-El AI. Last we need to see of Jor-El is him sending Kal off in the rocket. Anything else should be flashbacks.

I do like the bit Maggin did in his second novel where Jor-El sent a probe ahead of the rocket to find the most intelligent person on Earth (who at that time was Einstein) with the intention of them raising Kal, then Einstein realizing that while on Krypton, society was ruled by science, on Earth the prevailing source of humanity's guidance came from ethics and so he went to Smallville (where the probe told him the coordinates of where the rocket would land) and met Jonathan and Martha Kent and arranged it so they would be driving where the rocket landed. That's too complex and drawn out for a movie, but it's a neat idea anyway.

Even in Smallville they alluded to the fact that the Kents may have been chosen by Jor-El, IIRC. And in Pre-Crisis comics Jor-El watched events on Earth with a super telescope and was impressed by the Kents. So while I don't want to see Jor-El lecturing Kal on his destiny (because IMO Superman made his own decisions with Ma and Pa's guidance), I could see Jor wanting to make sure his son ended up with good people. Because Superman raised by the wrong people would be horrible for Earth and it would be Jor-El's fault. So I can see it both ways.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:47 AM   #359
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Russell Crowe doesn't really fit my image of Jor-El, about all the other stuff, I don't care at this point. I'll wait for more information.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:24 AM   #360
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

Russel Crowe is perfect as Jor-El now that i think about it.

DIRECTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #361
Superman2007
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
That would pretty killer.
Wont that mean that either Shannon will be older/greyhaired for the present day Zod on Earth or do kryptonians have longer life-spans? Not really important, just a thought.
Don't think he'll age if trapped in a suspended-animation based prison like the Phantom Zone.

Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:03 AM   #362
GreenKToo
In the fire

I'd prefer Jor-el not knowing where kal would end up. He would send him out in a ship thats pre-programmed to search for a planet with the right sort of atmosphere, and with life thats similar to their own.
You could show the ship speeding through space scanning planet after planet but with no success. Then it detects Earth some light years away, and heads for it.

Even tho Jor-el would have no idea which planet Kal would end up on, he knows several planets are out there that are suitable, and that the ship would find one.

Last edited by GreenKToo; 06-17-2011 at 10:09 AM.
GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #363
Mr. Thing
HAHAHAHA no.

One thing concerning Jor-El and Lara i really want to see in the movie is the final page from Birthright where

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Superman manages to tell his Kryptonian parents via some kind of matrix (?) that he "made it".

Such an incredibly touching ending to the book.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:23 AM   #364
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

I think what is most likely going to happen is you're going to see the dynamics between Zod & Jorel while on Krypton and that backstory, as well as Superman "talking" to Jorel in the FOS.

Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #365
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thing View Post
One thing concerning Jor-El and Lara i really want to see in the movie is the final page from Birthright where

Superman manages to tell his Kryptonian parents via some kind of matrix (?) that he "made it".

Everything relating to Jor-El and Lara should come from Birthright, it's, in my opinion, the only time they seemed like a normal couple just trying to save their son. And the scene you mentioned is just beautiful.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #366
green

Love this casting. More so than the idea of Day Lewis.
But please don't make communication with Jor El interactive. Information and history is one thing but Superman should be left to figure things out on his own, just my opinion though.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #367
CrypticOne
HiiiPoWeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post

Yeah, that's going to be amazing! Can't wait to see this movie!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #368
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
I think what is most likely going to happen is you're going to see the dynamics between Zod & Jorel while on Krypton and that backstory, as well as Superman "talking" to Jorel in the FOS.
I'd love to see all of this in a non-linear fashion..

EX: Seeing Cavill face his challenges on Earth, while he see Jor-El's plight on Krypton..... both progressing to a point where the story links together with Zod, the common threat.

It would be very different from the structured Donner film and more in line with Batman Begins (and perhaps The Dark Knight Rises).

Man of Tomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #369
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Count me in as another who doesn't want to see Jor-El controlling Superman's life and powers from beyond the grave. The way Birthright did it was interesting, because it was a nice twist.

It would be nice to see Jor-El's work on Krypton, like we did at the beginning of the animated series. And his interactions with Zod on Krypton would be great to see.

I liked how in Birthright and the animated series Clark was given a tablet that explained life on Krypton to him. Though with Zod in the movie he might do that instead.

Jor-El sending out probes to search for an inhabitable planet for Clark would be pretty cool, as well as his discovering that Krypton is in danger.

Willi Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #370
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
I'd love to see all of this in a non-linear fashion..

EX: Seeing Cavill face his challenges on Earth, while he see Jor-El's plight on Krypton..... both progressing to a point where the story links together with Zod, the common threat.

It would be very different from the structured Donner film and more in line with Batman Begins (and perhaps The Dark Knight Rises).
Very good idea -- drawing the parallels simultaneously, that is.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:31 PM   #371
KRIM
Banned User

A Godfather II type execution with Jor-El and Supes substituting for Vito and Michael, respectively -- potentially bar-raising material. Better served in the sequel, though. If only because Clark needs to get developed first.

KRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #372
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I'd prefer Jor-el not knowing where kal would end up. He would send him out in a ship thats pre-programmed to search for a planet with the right sort of atmosphere, and with life thats similar to their own.
You could show the ship speeding through space scanning planet after planet but with no success. Then it detects Earth some light years away, and heads for it.

Even tho Jor-el would have no idea which planet Kal would end up on, he knows several planets are out there that are suitable, and that the ship would find one.
That would be pretty cool, too. It will be interesting to see what kind of ship Kal-El will have this time around.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:43 PM   #373
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIM View Post
A Godfather II type execution with Jor-El and Supes substituting for Vito and Michael, respectively -- potentially bar-raising material. Better served in the sequel, though. If only because Clark needs to get developed first.
It could be very interesting if they continued to explore life on Krypton, rather than just for the origin movie.

Old 06-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #374
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Jor-el scenes I'd be happy to get:

- Something akin to the beginning of STAS, with Jor-el figuring out the world is doomed and fighting to get his son off the planet, with Lara by his side.

- Flashback scenes that give an understanding of Zod's history with the house of El.

Jor-el scenes I really hope we don't see:

- Teaching scenes in the FOS
- Any kind of AI/Hologram Jor-el

I'm not the biggest fan of Smallville, but it'd be kind of cool if they played out a similar scenario as the one in the season 5 episode 'Solitude', where Brainiac tells Clark all about their history and Zod's history with Jor-el, but warps it, and he only figures out the truth once he uncovers his true nature and agenda. But obviously have Zod being the one telling Clark about his past.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #375
batsfan81
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thing View Post

I concur, this was a great scene. Hope they can manage something similar for the film.

batsfan81 is offline   Reply With Quote