Crowe looks pretty badass as Jor-El

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #577
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Default Re: Russell Crowe in talks to play Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
I always thought that, in addition to Jor El being a well-respected scientist, he was a member of the Kryptonian aristocracy. Is that not accurate? If so, then this suit fits that persona just fine.
I like this

What I get from Jor-El's suit is probably more than most would, but design does follow the function. And it says a lot more about Kryptonian culture than we might think.

Dark Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #578
BrollySupersj
Undying Reptile

Looks like the S means "House of El" again eh? I was hoping it'd go back to just standing for "Superman". Oh well, Jor El still looks pretty neat, I like that medevil thing it has going.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:32 PM   #579
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
Looks like the S means "House of El" again eh? I was hoping it'd go back to just standing for "Superman". Oh well, Jor El still looks pretty neat, I like that medevil thing it has going.
Well supposedly (according to The Last Days of Krypton--I know, not official source material!) the Superman shield or sigil of the House of El represents a serpent trapped within a diamond--interesting symbolism when you think about it. If they go with that explanation then the quasimedieval garb actually makes sense.

Kinda.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #580
Superman_200
Superman

I can't see how the audience would go any deeper into that the father and son wear the symbol other than "He wears the "S" too, that must be the father". That is I think about as deep as the audience is going to look into if Russell Crowe has the "S" or the blue suit, followed by "Wow, that is Russell Crowe, he is getting old... Shh shh"

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #581
B
[insert witty comment]

The general design of Jor-El's outfit looks.. well it doesn't look like something I'd expect a race of technologically superior Alien's to be wearing. Truth be told it looks kinda medieval with what looks to be metallic shoulder plates/chest guard.

It also probably looks medieval due to the darker colors of the 'robe' like portion of the costume in addition to the shoulder plates/chest guard.

Unlike the Superman costume itself which I've been fairly pleased with based on the spy photoes, which I feel can only look better when its under correct lighting & filtering effects of the camera.. I hope the camera makes Jor-El's outfit look more impressive than it does here. Just looks a little too.. villianous for my tastes.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM   #582
Astrodust
Side-Kick

I'm not sure how I feel about this approach that Zod, Superman, and Jor-el are all wearing the same tights. If you use Earth as a reference, cultures can be quite diverse. If I was a general and I was up against a baddy general, and he was wearing the same thing as me, I'd hit the change room. Think about it. You go out to the field and Osama is wearing the same clothes as you. Unlikely I know but say he is, you know how absurd that will look. I'm curious how they will deal with this in the film. I hate the idea that Superman's outfit came off an assembly line.

Last edited by Astrodust; 10-05-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #583
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
Maybe her costume is more similar to the one that Antje Traue is wearing. Something that shows off her figure a bit more than Russell Crowe's costume.
If Lara looks like Faora I will really question this design team.

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #584
gdw
Side-Kick

Quote:
When Clark was born, was there a giant star in the horizon that Zod, Faora and Non followed or am I thinking of something else?
???

Thanks Cconn, for the avvy.

"Originally we wanted Bill Murray to play Batman." - Jon Peters.
gdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #585
Superman_200
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
I'm not sure how I feel about this approach that Zod, Superman, and Jor-el are all wearing the same tights. If you use Earth as a reference, cultures can be quite diverse. If I was a general and I was up against a baddy general, and he was wearing the same thing as me, I'd hit the change room. Think about it. You go out to the field and Osama is wearing the same clothes as you. Unlikely I know but say he is, you know how absurd that will look. I'm curious how they will deal with this in the film. I hate the idea that Superman's outfit came off an assembly line.
I don't think it really has to be dealt with or explained. I am sure some people will be wearing robes, others wont and it really wont be explained. I mean, so many fans want so many things explained it would be impossible to fit into a 2/2.5 hour movie. They want to see how Superman shaves, what his favorite meal is, how he tucks the cape in his pants, how he stores the costume, who made it, what is Jor-El wearing under the large vest, and is it all the same. Do all Kryptonians wear it and why? I mean, the amount of detail required to explain everything the fans are questioning would require one really long movie. I think it should just be presented and accepted for what it is. They have these suits on. I don't think anyone will look that closely, except maybe very few fans. Catching on to that amount of detail would be pretty difficult during a movie. If a guy has a suit under a vest that looks like another suit. No one seems to be talking about Zod's suit and that one is the one most obvious that looks like Superman's.

The most important thing I'd like to see from the Kryptonians is that they speak something that is not English for once. Thor spoke English, that is odd to me. A different planet speaking English, but in West Africa, the natives probably would not speak English.

Superman_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 PM   #586
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
I don't think it really has to be dealt with or explained. I am sure some people will be wearing robes, others wont and it really wont be explained. I mean, so many fans want so many things explained it would be impossible to fit into a 2/2.5 hour movie. They want to see how Superman shaves, what his favorite meal is, how he tucks the cape in his pants, how he stores the costume, who made it, what is Jor-El wearing under the large vest, and is it all the same. Do all Kryptonians wear it and why? I mean, the amount of detail required to explain everything the fans are questioning would require one really long movie. I think it should just be presented and accepted for what it is. They have these suits on. I don't think anyone will look that closely, except maybe very few fans. Catching on to that amount of detail would be pretty difficult during a movie. If a guy has a suit under a vest that looks like another suit. No one seems to be talking about Zod's suit and that one is the one most obvious that looks like Superman's.

The most important thing I'd like to see from the Kryptonians is that they speak something that is not English for once. Thor spoke English, that is odd to me. A different planet speaking English, but in West Africa, the natives probably would not speak English.

As far as Kryptonian language goes, I've said it before that it'd be interesting if in the sequences on Krypton they're speaking in Kryptonian. And then when Zod and Faora are on Earth they would speak Kryptonian and English (but with a "Kryptonian" accent)..I went over this in the Zod thread I think

Old 10-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #587
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Um, I don't recall Brando wearing a headband.
Nope, his costume was a disco looking deal and it was worse than Crowe's dress.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #588
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
Crowe looks pretty badass as Jor-El

If you think he looks badass now. Wait until we see the finished product onscreen and in promo shots.

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 PM   #589
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Nope, his costume was a disco looking deal and it was worse than Crowe's dress.
Kuro, I get that you're a big fan of true classic Superman mythology, but that doesn't mean you have to knock down EVERY single THING associated with MOS. You're really missing the point of trying out new interpretations and design schemes. And in the end, it all comes down to how the film is as a whole. I'm not too thrilled that Batman isn't getting a new (i.e. "better") suit in TDKR, but I'm not plaguing the Batboards with my disdain for every aspect of the film. Trust the director and trust the actors man. We're all fans here

Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #590
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

At some point all that ceaseless negativity and threadcrapping stops being commentary and turns into trolling.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #591
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_sentinel View Post
Kuro, I get that you're a big fan of true classic Superman mythology, but that doesn't mean you have to knock down EVERY single THING associated with MOS. You're really missing the point of trying out new interpretations and design schemes. And in the end, it all comes down to how the film is as a whole. I'm not too thrilled that Batman isn't getting a new (i.e. "better") suit in TDKR, but I'm not plaguing the Batboards with my disdain for every aspect of the film. Trust the director and trust the actors man. We're all fans here
I only knock what I don't like. I like the actors fine, the director I can give or take. he's okay. I don't like the costume design so far. Who knows how the rest of the movie will turn out.

Either way, it really doesn't matter. If the movie stinks, well, there's been about 3 or 4 bad Superman movies already, and if it's good, then it's a plus.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #592
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdw View Post
???
Donnerverse joke.

LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #593
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
At some point all that ceaseless negativity and threadcrapping stops being commentary and turns into trolling.
Fair criticisms that come from actual knowledge of the subject is not trolling, nor has it ever been.

Crowe's is a design I dislike. So? I don't like Cavill's costume either. I never knew not rubberstamping every element of the production=trolling.

I'd rather the designs be more classic and more science-fiction. That's a legitimate opinion.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #594
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Nice try, but no dice. Calling it a dress isn't fair criticism. it's no different from the anti-trunks people calling them panties.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #595
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Nice try, but no dice. Calling it a dress isn't fair criticism. it's no different from the anti-trunks people calling them panties.
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/the-pr...170019803.html

It's the gp comparing this costume to a Muumuu.

And the anti-trunks brigade insulting them by calling them "panties" not only insults fans of the classic costume, but more importantly, it is an insult to Joe Shuster, who designed the costume. Insults to Superman's creators are disgusting, blasphemous, and should never be tolerated under any circumstances.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #596
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Who the hell cares what the Yahoo guy thinks? The issue is you and your endless *****ing. Nobody says you have to approve everything but the constant whining about how everything would be perfect if only it were 1939 is tedious.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 PM   #597
DorkyFresh
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I don't like the look of Jor-El's duds but calling the outfit a dress is obvious flame bait.

DorkyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #598
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

And the trolling continues...

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #599
Kurosawa
Banned User

I don't think so, but since it offends people, I'll let it go.

It still looks better than Brando's costume, which I will not call a disco suit either in case it offends any fans of it.

Why insulting nobody costume designers is bad but insulting Joe Shuster is okay is beyond me, but tradition sucks, blah blah.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #600
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Wasn't Jor-El the ruler of Krypton in some early stories? He only became a scientist nobody listened to in later stories.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote