The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #901
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider
 
DarthSkywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 29,479
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
When I think about MOS's take on Jor-el versus Brando's characterization, they're such polar opposites of each other.

In the Donner Version, Jor-el basically condemned Clark to live an lonely life and gave him the guilt trip on how him wanting a happy life for himself was considered selfish and that he needs to be an hero all the time.

Whereas Crowe's Jor-el seems to only encourage Clark and wants him to decide on his own on what he (Clark) should become.
After sending him to place where he will be a God.

__________________
"You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
DarthSkywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #902
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,494
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
When I think about MOS's take on Jor-el versus Brando's characterization, they're such polar opposites of each other.

In the Donner Version, Jor-el basically condemned Clark to live an lonely life and gave him the guilt trip on how him wanting a happy life for himself was considered selfish and that he needs to be an hero all the time.

Whereas Crowe's Jor-el seems to only encourage Clark and wants him to decide on his own on what he (Clark) should become.
The Crowe's version of Jor-EL is very similar to Superman: The Animated Series .

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #903
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 21,633
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

It still surprises me to this day that Rusty took on this role.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:43 AM   #904
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,494
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Jor-El and Zod clip
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyFoRRRTRDw

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #905
herolee10
S.W. Mourner
 
herolee10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,400
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It still surprises me to this day that Rusty took on this role.
Indeed, especially after hearing him say on how he would have never seen himself appearing in any form of an comic book genre film and that he hasn't seen the original Superman film due to how he thought the costumes, particularly the kryptonian ones, looked like crap.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #906
GENERAL RAAM582
The Amazing Spider-Man
 
GENERAL RAAM582's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 10,624
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Jor-El and Zod clip
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyFoRRRTRDw
You gotta love the inclusion of "This is madness" in this clip.

GENERAL RAAM582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #907
747
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.
 
747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,096
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Indeed, especially after hearing him say on how he would have never seen himself appearing in any form of an comic book genre film and that he hasn't seen the original Superman film due to how he thought the costumes, particularly the kryptonian ones, looked like crap.
He took on the role because he loved the script I believe.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #908
jmc
callin' it like I see it
 
jmc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: I come from the land Down Under
Posts: 21,633
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

The cynical part of me thinks he took on this role simply because Brando did.

__________________
Celebrating 75 years of Batman saving Gotham City.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #909
Jim-El
"My Son"
 
Jim-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 818
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

This is not just a comic book role...This is Superman! Nothing comes close to that. PERIOD.
Even though both actors have joked about their roles, thankfully Brando and Crowe understood the influence and meaning of the GREATEST comic book character of all.

__________________
"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

Last edited by Jim-El; 06-09-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Jim-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #910
titansupes
Side-Kick
 
titansupes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,485
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-El View Post
This is not just a comic book role...This is Superman! Nothing comes close to that. PERIOD.
Even though both actors have joked about their roles, thankfully Brando and Crowe understood the influence and meaning of the GREATEST comic book character of all.
I love that Brando liked the S enough to want it on his chest and come up with a reason it was there.

__________________
I NEVER WANTED YOU TO COME BACK TO GOTHAM.

titansupes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #911
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator
 
The Sage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In the Sage's lair
Posts: 45,797
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
It still surprises me to this day that Rusty took on this role.
You and me both. I did a double-take when I read the announcement.

__________________
Everyone brings joy to this forum. Some by coming in. Some by going out...
The Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:29 AM   #912
Angelus_Darko
Derriere extraordinaire
 
Angelus_Darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Somewhere in Mexico City
Posts: 465
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

So, I wanted to have a proper ringtone for MoS. At first I was about to use the classic John Williams theme, but then I realized that this melody is way better for the ocassion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOAOLihlh50

Angelus_Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #913
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,494
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Wow Crowe was BOSS as Jor-El he was fantastic in the role and totally added more to the role than just a voice from the past.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #914
EliteF50
Side-Kick
 
EliteF50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 4,176
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Wow Crowe was BOSS as Jor-El he was fantastic in the role and totally added more to the role than just a voice from the past.
Definitely. Blew Marlon's performance out of the water.

__________________
*T*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStorm View Post
"The first rule of 'Tusi is to not talk about 'Tusi."
Listen to my updated Bane voice impression!
EliteF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:48 AM   #915
N7 Joseph Shepard
Human/Kryptonian Hybrid
 
N7 Joseph Shepard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Adrianne Palicki's heavenly bosom
Posts: 3,079
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitef50 View Post
definitely. Blew marlon's performance out of the water.

qft

__________________
Cavill/Heard - Believe In The Shield -Snyder
Affleck
- Batman -
Snyder
Alexander/Arterton- Wonder Woman - Taylor
Bomer - Green Lantern -
Bay
Pine - The Flash -
Del-Toro
Pearce - Lex Luthor
N7 Joseph Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #916
TheHighlander
The Only One
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 86
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Rusell Crowe... is.... Jor-El... He is.... Sorry Marlon...

TheHighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #917
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,494
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
Definitely. Blew Marlon's performance out of the water.
Hell yeah, You see where Kal-El get's his strength from.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #918
Autonet
What?
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Shatterdome
Posts: 891
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Hell yeah, You see where Kal-El get's his strength from.
Yeah forget that other guy...what's his face Kent something.

Autonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #919
Daywalker89
In Zion I await my spirit
 
Daywalker89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Training In Rural Japan Kichijo-ji
Posts: 463
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliteF50 View Post
Definitely. Blew Marlon's performance out of the water.
Easily brother

Daywalker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #920
Jim-El
"My Son"
 
Jim-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 818
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

No way! Marlon will always be TOPS even though Russell is my favorite present day actor!!

Seeing the film tonight.

__________________
"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Jim-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #921
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick
 
GREEN =w= DAY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tijuana/San Diego
Posts: 5,753
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Crowe was awesome as Jor-El. and it was nice to see he played such a prominent role after originally thinking his role would be much smaller.

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #922
DrCosmic
Professor of Power
 
DrCosmic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: In the Moment
Posts: 6,344
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Yeah, come back after you see it Jim-El. Russel Crowe plays a full character, not just a plot device... though he does end up being a plot device eventually.

__________________
WW TV Show Ideas - X-Men TV Show Ideas -
With a Ph.D in Metascience
"Sufficiently understood magic is indistinguishable from science."
DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #923
NotFadeAway
Side-Kick
 
NotFadeAway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Mirror Universe
Posts: 5,431
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Russell Crowe kicked Brandon in the gonads.

Remember people, Marlon Brando thought he was above being in a Superman movie and only did so for a huge paycheck in which he didn't even take time to memorize his lines. What a douche.

Russell Crowe on the other hand is a Superman fan. Hell, he used his clout following Gladiator to get a look at the script that was in production at the time written by William Wisher. Turned out to be a piece of garbage, but Crowe was interested in playing the man of steel.

__________________

LOST- 2004-2010: "The most important part of your life was the time you spent with these people. "

Best comic film of all time. The Dark Knight Rises!


NotFadeAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #924
TDK elbowstrike
"I'm a man of my word..."
 
TDK elbowstrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: 18th and Orchard. You'll find Harvey Dent there..
Posts: 526
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Yeah, come back after you see it Jim-El. Russel Crowe plays a full character, not just a plot device... though he does end up being a plot device eventually.
I agree with this. And although utilized in the manner stated above, I also agree he was a fully fleshed out character with clear motives and ambitions. Jor El had a bigger role in this movie than I originally thought. Which I didn't mind one bit.

On a side note, while the movie is still fresh in my brain,

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
anyone else notice how much ass Jor El kicks? Literally. He was under armed guard yet managed to beat the **** out of like four of his captors, and shot at least another two dead. Then he proceeded to beat up General Zod. I know Jor El was specifically bread to be a scientist, but he scientifically beat down like upwards of a half dozen Kryptonians. Like a boss.

__________________
Tell your men they work for me now. This is my city...
TDK elbowstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #925
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick
 
Dispatch Ninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 748
Default Re: Russell Crowe IS Jor-El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDK elbowstrike View Post
I agree with this. And although utilized in the manner stated above, I also agree he was a fully fleshed out character with clear motives and ambitions. Jor El had a bigger role in this movie than I originally thought. Which I didn't mind one bit.

On a side note, while the movie is still fresh in my brain,

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
anyone else notice how much ass Jor El kicks? Literally. He was under armed guard yet managed to beat the **** out of like four of his captors, and shot at least another two dead. Then he proceeded to beat up General Zod. I know Jor El was specifically bread to be a scientist, but he scientifically beat down like upwards of a half dozen Kryptonians. Like a boss.
Yes, russel crowe was a beast in the beginning. I loved the zod/jor-el fight. Russel crowe really shined in this movie.

Dispatch Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:21 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.