The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 07-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #151
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Default Re: James Mangold will direct The Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Completely agree. But, it wouldn't be the first time they made a bad decision twice!

Alexei Belyakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:50 PM   #152
Blader5489
CASUAL SEX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Belyakov View Post
That's exactly why I expect them to announce 2013 anytime soon.

First Class was first and foremost a learning experience in how not to release a movie.

Most people would dissagree, but had First Class opened the summer in May, it woulda made Thor numbers. Same goes for 3D conversion which has definitely been boosting the 2011 line-up's BO.

To see Thor break $180 Domestic, and First Class still stuck under $145 just bugs the **** outta me. First Class is such a better movie.
What's the difference? Even if it was a 2013 release, Wolverine still wouldn't be opening the summer.

Blader5489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 AM   #153
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader5489 View Post
What's the difference? Even if it was a 2013 release, Wolverine still wouldn't be opening the summer.
Yeah Iron Man 3 will open the Summer of 2013 and The Avengers will open the Summer of 2014.

FOX should just promote the movie more.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:39 AM   #154
narrows101
Side-Kick

I read on another site that Duncan Jones was "in negotiations" so I wonder if that's what Hugh is referring to. He also talks about his XMFC cameo. Video interview:

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/07/26...gold-director/

Quote:
Just last month, however, Fox announced that the film would have a new director: James Mangold, who previously worked with Jackman on “Kate and Leopold.” According to Jackman, however, Mangold was not the only one gunning for the job

“There were a number of directors who wanted to do this because we have the best script yet, but his take was the strongest,” Jackman told MTV News of Mangold. “He’s phenomenal, he’s going to really knock this one out of the park.”

While the project has a new director, it is retaining the name given to it during Aronofsky’s watch: “The Wolverine.”

narrows101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #155
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I like that it is apparently keeping the title, and it's good to hear Mangold had an impressive "take" on this. Hopefully this film achieves an interesting tone for its unique story.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #156
Raiden
What a bunch of...

So The Wolverine will join The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-man in 2012?

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #157
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
So The Wolverine will join The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-man in 2012?
I hope not.

There's no room for it to make any money if they rush a 2012 release date.

APRIL 27 - PRINCE VAALI

MAY 4 - THE AVENGERS

MAY 11 - DARK SHADOWS

MAY 18 - BATTLESHIP

MAY 25 - MEN IN BLACK III

MAY 25 - MEDALLION

JUNE 1 - SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNSTMAN

JUNE 1 - ROCK OF AGES

JUNE 8 - PROMETHEUS

JUNE 8 - MADAGASCAR 3

JUNE 15 - JACK THE GIANT KILLER

JUNE 22 - BRAVE

JUNE 22 - ABRAHAM LINCOLN: VAMPIRE HUNTER

JUNE 29 - STAR TREK 2

JULY 3 - THE AMAZING SPIDER MAN

JULY 13 - ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT

JULY 13 - TED

JULY 20 - THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Even if Star Trek gets pushed back and the June 29 slot opens up, its pointless to expect it to make money when competing with Spider Man and Batman.

The intelligent thing for the studio to do is follow the route Warner Bros. took with Superman and put in the summer of 2013 where it'll actually have room to make money. That's if they hurry up and claim the only open slot...

MAY 3 - IRON MAN 3

MAY 10 - MOMMY AND ME

MAY 17 - SINGULARITY

MAY 24 - FAST 6

MAY 31 - THE WOLVERINE

JUNE 7 - TURBO

JUNE 14 - THE MAN OF STEEL

JUNE 21 - MONSTERS UNIVERSITY

JUNE 28 - R.I.P.D.

JULY 3 - DESPICABLE ME 2

JULY 12 - PACIFIC RIM

JULY 19 - OBLIVION

JULY 26 - THOR II

Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #158
bhayes
Side-Kick

hey alexi, what do you think of hugh jackman's comments here? he sounds like he is aware that orgins was aweful and has learned his lesson.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/675...tml#id=1667785

do you think hugh is being his usual optimistic self or do you think that james mangold can really do something with this.

im hoping that like with ghost rider 2 - this is will be a reboot-follow up and not a sequel. i think that is what will happen.

Last edited by bhayes; 07-26-2011 at 06:37 PM.
bhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #159
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Star Trek Isn't going to make a 2012 release.J.J. Abrams still hasn't committed to directing,and they don't have a completed draft just a 80 page outline by the writers own comments.mark my words Star Trek won't come out till summer 2013 and that Is only them stop negleting Star Trek and get to work.I successfull told a contact of mine after the writers strike both Star Trek and harry Potter and the half blood prince would be delayed till summer 2009.If The Wolverine Is out In 2012 It will be around november however I think summer 2013 Is more relastic.

Based on Hugh jackman's comments The Silver Samurai may not be the only member of Wolverine's enemies to show up.Now before people start with Fox wanting to add more characters remember by all accounts the Scipt was done last year and there has been no reports of any rewrites.They have been braging how good Christopher Mcquarrie's script Is.Not hard when you have a oscar winning writer who from leaked script details did his homework.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 PM   #160
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhayes View Post
hey alexi, what do you think of hugh jackman's comments here? he sounds like he is aware that orgins was aweful and has learned his lesson.

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/675...tml#id=1667785

do you think hugh is being his usual optimistic self or do you think that james mangold can really do something with this.

im hoping that like with ghost rider 2 - this is will be a reboot-follow up and not a sequel. i think that is what will happen.
I myself am hoping james Mangold can continue the work of getting this franchise back on track that Matthew Vaughn started with X-Men First Class.

You won't get a complete Wolverine reboot but I think It's safe to say you
can Ignore X-Men Origins:Wolverine.

My hope for The Wolverine Is to now have 4 quality films In the franchise(X-Men,X2,First Class and The Wolverine) and If we can get Wolverine In Full berzerker fury on screen that will determine how Truthfull Hugh Jackman Is being.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #161
bhayes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I myself am hoping james Mangold can continue the work of getting this franchise back on track that Matthew Vaughn started with X-Men First Class.

You won't get a complete Wolverine reboot but I think It's safe to say you
can Ignore X-Men Origins:Wolverine.

My hope for The Wolverine Is to now have 4 quality films In the franchise(X-Men,X2,First Class and The Wolverine) and If we can get Wolverine In Full berzerker fury on screen that will determine how Truthfull Hugh Jackman Is being.
you forgot x men 3. x men 3 gets alot of hate that it doesn't deserve. but i accept the fact that it was the step toward the badness of x men orgins: wolverine.

but yeah, i think if fox leaves mangold, jackman and the producers alone and let them make it a hard R or a edgy pg-13 - then we will get a good movie. the animated short Gary Shore did, remember that.

basically that is what happened with Orgins. i think they had a great outline and Hood himself is a great director but too many people interfered and they clashed on the set.

i felt that the film opens real good, but after they get let out of prison - the movie falls apart after that.

i heard a rumor that hood clashed with tom rothman and they ended up having the 2nd unit director direct the rest film and hood was brought in occasionally. and that there were too many producers 'producing'

i mean pretty much if they can make a film that reflects that gary shore short. this could turn out to be as good as dark knight.

should we make a LIST of thing they need to do right this time?

i hope they hire someone to animate the claws better. ever since x-men 2 & 3 - the claws look faker and faker.

this film should be like a cross between 'the last samurai' and 'x-men 2' basically.

i hope they do similar to what they have done with ghost rider 2. it should be a reboot with the same actor (hugh).

bhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:05 AM   #162
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

So Mangold is lock-down to direct this movie? Hmm, he is downgrade from Aronofsky, but he is an interesting choice and I'm a bit curious to see his take on this.

Sgt.Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #163
narrows101
Side-Kick

From the mouth of Hugh himself, yes Mangold is locked and filming starts October 15.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #164
Alexei Belyakov
Banned User

Well, as predicted, Star Trek got pushed back and G.I. JOE: Retaliation nabbed the June 29 spot, which was the only spot left next summer.

Hurry up, FOX! And announce May 31, 2013 before someone else takes what is the last remaining slot in the 2013 Summer season.

If they do go for Summer 2013, I predict an opening weekend bigger than any of the 2011 CBMs.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 PM   #165
Veidt
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by narrows101 View Post
We now have an EXACT date - in this video, Hugh says it starts October 15.

http://www.ew.com/ew/package/0,,20399642,00.html
Holy cow, that's my birthday.

Veidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:04 AM   #166
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

FOX should now make an official annoucement about the director. The more buzz about this movie, the better.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #167
akfj
Side-Kick

No one would even know anything if Hugh wasn't asked about the movie in interviews.

akfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 AM   #168
MrWolvers
Banned User

never heard of him, any good?

MrWolvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 AM   #169
narrows101
Side-Kick

Check this out.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/bry...g-rights-15133

Quote:
This is kind of a funny story whether you know what a 'Gigantor' is or not. Deadline reports that director Bryan Barber is so fed up with losing out on directing jobs that he has bought the rights to 'Gigantor' from an elderly man, and is placing himself at the helm of a $60 million live-action adaptation. He's being smart with the live-action approach. The animated robot route didn't play out very well for the similarly themed 2009 film, 'Astro Boy.'

[snip]

With very little to his name as a director besides the crime/musical, 'Idlewild,' Barber has found it exceedingly difficult to tap into the big projects in Hollywood. He was in talks to direct 'The Wolverine' -- now helmed by '3:10 to Yuma' director, James Mangold -- but lost out even after pouring $50,000 of his own money into a presentation for 20th Century Fox that gave them a good idea of his vision for the film. They liked it enough to reimburse him for the troubles, but no further than that.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #170
Project862006
Banned User

James Mangold Talks "The Wolverine"
Quote:
“You could actually just tell a story about this amazing character from the start, just the way they do when you really read a comic,” Mangold said via telephone Friday. “You don’t have to spend the first hour saying how they were born; you can actually just find them in an emotional space, in the middle of action, and what happens is you’re not crowded with cutting to nine other action heroes. You can really make a movie about this dude.”
Quote:
“I spoke to Darren a bit about it before I ended up taking it on,” he revealed. “But I will tell you that when Darren stepped off, I was in the middle of doing a lot of other things, and when it was brought up to me, I actually didn’t even consider it for the very reasons you’re talking about. It was, oh, who wants to do that, and follow that, and I could hear all of the media swirl about it.”
Eventually, that media buzz died down, enabling Mangold to get a better look at what he might be making if he agreed to helm “The Wolverine.”

Quote:
“Several months went by and I hadn’t even really read it, and later when they came back to me and I kind of took it in, and a lot of that hand-wringing had kind of died down,” he explained. “What I saw was some really promising material, and to me an interesting character played by a great friend of mine who’s a terrific actor, Hugh Jackman.” (Mangold previously worked with Jackman on “Kate & Leopold,” an unconventional romantic comedy he wrote and directed in 2001.)
Mangold said that he was intensely drawn to the locale of the film, which was not just markedly different from the first film, but an environment in which he felt like audiences hadn’t seen a superhero movie take place. “It’s a kind of adventure following such a unique character also in a really unique environment,” he said. “I mean, the fact that half of the characters in this movie speak Japanese, this is like a foreign-language superhero movie that’s as much a drama and a detective story and a film noir, with high-octane action as it is anything like a conventional tentpole film.”
Quote:
“Mark Bomback and myself have done a tremendous amount of writing on the movie,” he revealed. “There’s not a page that hasn’t been worked and reworked and rethought and story-boarded. So it just is what it is; I mean, you kind of the part of connecting to the movie and developing the scenes and finding the locations and devising the action is all about not only making it good, but also in the process making it your own.”
Mangold also said he was keenly aware of the conventions of the genre he would be exploring, and felt he’s been able to turn it into a more unique story than most other superhero movies demand.

Quote:
“I think part of the reason I’m doing this picture has been because it isn’t to me a conventional superhero movie. It isn’t an origin story, so I’m freed from that burden, and it also isn’t a save-the-world movie, which most them are. It’s actually a character piece; I actually think it has more in common with ‘The Outlaw Josey Wales’ and ‘Chinatown,’ what we’re doing, than the conventional, ‘will Wolverine and his compatriots save the world from this thermonuclear device’ question.”

Following the success of the first “Wolverine,” fans speculated – and in fact hoped - that the second film would examine the comic book story lines written by Frank Miller, in which Wolverine spent time in Japan.

Quote:
Mangold said that he wants to take advantage of those fish-out-of-water opportunities, and then combine them with storytelling, and of course, action sequences which maximize the influence of the world around the characters. “I think that this movie is much more an intense psychological and action-packed character piece, that’s much more about Logan getting lost in this very unique and insulated world of Japanese culture, gangster culture, and ninja culture,” he said. “The fighting is going to be unique because it’s all influenced by Japanese martial arts.”
Ultimately, however, Mangold insisted that “The Wolverine” would focus on the ideas that are at the core of the character, even as he delivers a visceral, intense, and entertaining film.

Quote:
“I think more than anything, it’s a character piece, asking really interesting questions that are what pulled me in about what it means to be immortal. What is it to live forever, when you lose everyone you’ve ever loved? Either you watch them get killed, or you just lose them by attrition. What is it to feel the burden of saving mankind through all of its mistakes, over and over and over again. What’s the toll it takes on you as a living being that is somehow living this Frankensteinian, eternal life? And there’s a lot of interesting dramatic questions we’re going to deliver on as well as some really inventive action.”
In fact, Mangold said that because he’s unfettered by considerations of back story or ensemble plot lines, he’s optimistic that his film will finally deliver the Wolverine story that fans have been asking for since he was first brought to the screen. “I like to think that we’re out to make that Wolverine movie that people have been looking forward to seeing, which takes on some of the darker and more intense aspects of the character, and his own journey, that have not necessarily been possible in the origin story that they did or obviously when he’s sharing so much time as a character with so many others in X-Men.”
Quote:
“It really just was a simple choice,” he admitted. “Do you want to jump on board and take this thing on, with such a cool environment and a world, and this moment when they might actually explore the character? [And] there was so much intriguing in there that I thought could be mined and something really interesting done with it.”
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...eastwoods_the/

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:53 PM   #171
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Great article.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:49 AM   #172
J.Howlett

Very good article.

Frankly, I'm excited by Mangold teaming with Jackman, even if the Aronofsky teaming would've been better.

I think they'll make a great picture because it seems, with Rise of the Planet of the Apes and First Class that Fox may have turned a corner, in terms of genre filmmaking.

I only have three demands for this flick; ignore the Last Stand and Origins Wolverine, take place in the mid 80's, and don't contradict First Class, X-Men, and X2.

If it does those three things well and is as solid or better than First Class, then I'm good to go.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:08 AM   #173
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Pfft... I've heard this same lipservice of a "serious" Wolverine movie before with the first one, and look what we eventually got. I'll believe it when I see it on the big screen.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #174
rogue trooper
Side-Kick

I like what Mangold said! It really brings the work Chris Claremont did with both Frank Miller and John Buscema to mind.

rogue trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #175
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Really good interview! He really seems to want to get this right!

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote