Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #51
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
sorry man but the main complaint is the direction not reynolds not blake not cgi they say all those things are good but the direction,pacing,editing,script is the problem all the thing that the director should have control of.
I actually heard bad things about the acting as well, and not just from Reynolds and Lively. But it was mainly due to the dialogue not being believable for the characters to say and that Hammond was even more hammy than Green Goblin

Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #52
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
sorry man but the main complaint is the direction not reynolds not blake not cgi they say all those things are good but the direction,pacing,editing,script is the problem all the thing that the director should have control of.
Ryan is part of the problem with the approach. He was hired to pretty much play himself, the typical zany and goofy RR, but in space.

It's a reflection of how Warners and the producers didn't want to take this seriously in some weird attempt to try and copy Iron Man's formula.

Even worse, many reviews are saying the jokes actually fall flat.

Ideally, you'd think the Director could alter the script and control these things, but just like MoS... the script was done by one party.. and the direction by another.

It wasn't like Bryan Singer on SR given free reign to do whatever from the getgo.

I think this was WB's attempt to control this with a very hands on approach, the approach was flawed though.

MOS has a great scripting team and an uneven director, but it has a much greater chance of being great. The approach seems to be right.

The Green Lantern situation reminds me of Spider-man 3.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #53
Project862006
Banned User

all comes down to the script then something the director should of worked on - look at vaughn who rewrote the script for FC with his team when he came on board

but if a villian has a huge head what do you expect lol

lets back on topic anyways

Old 06-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #54
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
Ryan is part of the problem with the approach. He was hired to pretty much play himself, the typical zany and goofy RR, but in space.

It's a reflection of how Warners and the producers didn't want to take this seriously in some weird attempt to try and copy Iron Man's formula.

Even worse, many reviews are saying the jokes actually fall flat.

Ideally, you'd think the Director could alter the script and control these things, but just like MoS... the script was done by one party.. and the direction by another.

It wasn't like Bryan Singer on SR given free reign to do whatever from the getgo.

I think this was WB's attempt to control this with a very hands on approach, the approach was flawed though.

MOS has a great scripting team and an uneven director, but it has a much greater chance of being great. The approach seems to be right.

The Green Lantern situation reminds me of Spider-man 3.
you havent even seen the movie and are blaming reynolds lol reviews say he is a good hal jordan he has quite alot of serious moments in the movie

not to mention secret origins hal is exactly like reynolds which was the basis of the script

Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #55
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
you havent even seen the movie and are blaming reynolds lol reviews say he is a good hal jordan he has quite alot of serious moments in the movie

not to mention secret origins hal is exactly like reynolds which was the basis of the script
another point that proves sometimes MOT doesn't really know what he's talking about...it's ok though, nobody is perfect

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #56
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
I'll be seeing it in a few hours. I am going by the reviews, but I was never a fan of his casting for Hal. I like him for Deadpool or Wally West, just not this....especially for the studio reasons why he was cast.

Quote:

LOL. Secret Origin was written by Geoff Johns as they were doing the GL script for the film.

It was obviously meant to retcon Hal to fit with how the film wanted to present him. It's painfully obvious. I really hope Johns stays away from the films now.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #57
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

let's not turn this into a Green Lantern discussion please...

Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #58
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
I'll be seeing it in a few hours. I am going by the reviews, but I was never a fan of his casting for Hal. I like him for Deadpool or Wally West, just not this....especially for the studio reasons why he was cast.

LOL. Secret Origin was written by Geoff Johns as they were doing the GL script for the film.

It was obviously meant to retcon Hal to fit with how the film wanted to present him. It's painfully obvious. I really hope Johns stays away from the films now.
secret origins came out June-December of 2008 buddy and was written before that try again

Old 06-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #59
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
secret origins came out June-December of 2008 buddy and was written before that try again
That was exactly when the GL script was in the works at Warners, even before then.

GL started coming together at Warners after the writing strike of 07 when JLM fell apart. Bertlani and the writers were hired in 07.

These projects usually take that long from conception to final product.

Last edited by Man of Tomorrow; 06-16-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #60
Project862006
Banned User

and reynolds auditioned at the last minute - much like chris evans did for cap auditions ,if cooper did'nt mess up his audition ryan never would of got it

to say since 2007 that DC wanted Reynolds for hal jordan 3-4 years in advance is the most ridiculous thing i have heard you say

Old 06-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #61
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

I never said that. I said, they wanted the comedic, zany approach to this, aping Iron Man, from the getgo.

Not specifically Reynolds, Cooper etc... But RR definitely fit the mold of what they wanted. Too bad it wasn't GL.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #62
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Like I said...the zany comedy crap was written with Jack Black in mind NOT Ryan Reynolds

Old 06-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #63
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Like I said...the zany comedy crap was written with Jack Black in mind NOT Ryan Reynolds
Umm nope.

That was a different iteration of GL. That was in 2004 when Robert Smigel wrote a spec script for this.

It wasn't approved obviously and got panned.

The preproduction for the film released tonight began in 2007 when Bertlani and his writers were signed and wrote their own script, which got leaked on the internet in 2008.

Last edited by Man of Tomorrow; 06-16-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #64
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:

Yeah, this is basically entirely wrong. It's pretty obvious that Secret Origin was written as a continuity-launch pad for Blackest Night, not to fit the film (which was originally scripted more in line with Emerald Dawn, anyway).

Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #65
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Yeah, this is basically entirely wrong. It's pretty obvious that Secret Origin was written as a continuity-launch pad for Blackest Night, not to fit the film (which was originally scripted more in line with Emerald Dawn, anyway).
You missed the point, we were talking specifically about Hal's characterization... being lighthearted, goofy and zany.

Apparently Michael Green and Marc G. admitted John's work lined up with theirs. Made sense since Johns was tied to the movie too. They turned to his guidance to solve problems.

Therefore lining up with John's 2008 run isn't some major achievement. It was all conceptualized and done around the same time and Johns had an influence on both properties.

Though I'd say it's a detrimental influence based on the outcome.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #66
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
You missed the point, we were talking specifically about Hal's characterization... being lighthearted, goofy and zany.
Which doesn't make any sense, given that Johns doesn't write Jordan as "Goofy and zany." If that influence came from somewhere, it wasn't from Johns.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #67
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User

Well apparently his Hal in Secret Origins was characterized noticeably different than what came before (including his prior work with the character, GL Rebirth etc).

Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #68
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

I don't know what in the world MOT is talking about and something tells me neither does he...and furthermore I don't really care about Green Lantern. This is the Superman forum...

Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #69
Saint
The Devil's Robot

Quote:
Well apparently his Hal in Secret Origins was characterized noticeably different than what came before (including his prior work with the character, GL Rebirth etc).
No, he was not characterized any different from how Johns has written Jordan before, except in that he was inexperienced.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #70
GreenKToo
In the fire

I bet we get a sneak peek of the suit sooner now.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #71
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I bet we get a sneak peek of the suit sooner now.
I hope so to get the bad taste of Green Lantern out of people's mouths

Old 06-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #72
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Comic-Con. No sooner. I think the Jor-El casting should do it for now. Should the movie bomb upon release, well they may announce a Superman/Batman flick directed by Chris Nolan featuring Bale and Cavill, lol.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #73
camp Blood
For your health!

What kind of first image would you guys like to see, a flying shot or something

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #74
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I hope so to get the bad taste of Green Lantern out of people's mouths
I don't think a suit image will be the best idea right now because I see nothing but people complaining about it, especially if they ditch the trunks. That may lead to bad press for DC in general. Smartest thing for them to do at this point is wait a bit then release a pic of catwoman, then superman.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #75
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
I don't think a suit image will be the best idea right now because I see nothing but people complaining about it, especially if they ditch the trunks. That may lead to bad press for DC in general. Smartest thing for them to do at this point is wait a bit then release a pic of catwoman, then superman.
I agree.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Closed Thread