The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 02:59 PM   #51
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D
 
Majik1387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Theme Park central
Posts: 37,771
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
sorry man but the main complaint is the direction not reynolds not blake not cgi they say all those things are good but the direction,pacing,editing,script is the problem all the thing that the director should have control of.
I actually heard bad things about the acting as well, and not just from Reynolds and Lively. But it was mainly due to the dialogue not being believable for the characters to say and that Hammond was even more hammy than Green Goblin

Majik1387 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #52
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
sorry man but the main complaint is the direction not reynolds not blake not cgi they say all those things are good but the direction,pacing,editing,script is the problem all the thing that the director should have control of.
Ryan is part of the problem with the approach. He was hired to pretty much play himself, the typical zany and goofy RR, but in space.

It's a reflection of how Warners and the producers didn't want to take this seriously in some weird attempt to try and copy Iron Man's formula.

Even worse, many reviews are saying the jokes actually fall flat.


Ideally, you'd think the Director could alter the script and control these things, but just like MoS... the script was done by one party.. and the direction by another.

It wasn't like Bryan Singer on SR given free reign to do whatever from the getgo.

I think this was WB's attempt to control this with a very hands on approach, the approach was flawed though.

MOS has a great scripting team and an uneven director, but it has a much greater chance of being great. The approach seems to be right.


The Green Lantern situation reminds me of Spider-man 3.

Man of Tomorrow is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #53
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,208
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

all comes down to the script then something the director should of worked on - look at vaughn who rewrote the script for FC with his team when he came on board

but if a villian has a huge head what do you expect lol

lets back on topic anyways

Project862006 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #54
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,208
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
Ryan is part of the problem with the approach. He was hired to pretty much play himself, the typical zany and goofy RR, but in space.

It's a reflection of how Warners and the producers didn't want to take this seriously in some weird attempt to try and copy Iron Man's formula.

Even worse, many reviews are saying the jokes actually fall flat.


Ideally, you'd think the Director could alter the script and control these things, but just like MoS... the script was done by one party.. and the direction by another.

It wasn't like Bryan Singer on SR given free reign to do whatever from the getgo.

I think this was WB's attempt to control this with a very hands on approach, the approach was flawed though.

MOS has a great scripting team and an uneven director, but it has a much greater chance of being great. The approach seems to be right.


The Green Lantern situation reminds me of Spider-man 3.
you havent even seen the movie and are blaming reynolds lol reviews say he is a good hal jordan he has quite alot of serious moments in the movie

not to mention secret origins hal is exactly like reynolds which was the basis of the script

Project862006 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:07 PM   #55
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,040
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
you havent even seen the movie and are blaming reynolds lol reviews say he is a good hal jordan he has quite alot of serious moments in the movie

not to mention secret origins hal is exactly like reynolds which was the basis of the script
another point that proves sometimes MOT doesn't really know what he's talking about...it's ok though, nobody is perfect

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #56
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
you havent even seen the movie and are blaming reynolds lol reviews say he is a good hal jordan he has quite alot of serious moments in the movie
I'll be seeing it in a few hours. I am going by the reviews, but I was never a fan of his casting for Hal. I like him for Deadpool or Wally West, just not this....especially for the studio reasons why he was cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
not to mention secret origins hal is exactly like reynolds which was the basis of the script

LOL. Secret Origin was written by Geoff Johns as they were doing the GL script for the film.

It was obviously meant to retcon Hal to fit with how the film wanted to present him. It's painfully obvious. I really hope Johns stays away from the films now.

Man of Tomorrow is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #57
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy
 
DorkyFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Currently living in sanity.
Posts: 19,229
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

let's not turn this into a Green Lantern discussion please...

__________________
Karma: What Goes Around Comes Around: You Get What You Give: Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
<-:{=:]:[my ART thread]:[:=}:->
DorkyFresh is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #58
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,208
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
I'll be seeing it in a few hours. I am going by the reviews, but I was never a fan of his casting for Hal. I like him for Deadpool or Wally West, just not this....especially for the studio reasons why he was cast.




LOL. Secret Origin was written by Geoff Johns as they were doing the GL script for the film.

It was obviously meant to retcon Hal to fit with how the film wanted to present him. It's painfully obvious. I really hope Johns stays away from the films now.
secret origins came out June-December of 2008 buddy and was written before that try again

Project862006 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #59
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
secret origins came out June-December of 2008 buddy and was written before that try again
That was exactly when the GL script was in the works at Warners, even before then.

GL started coming together at Warners after the writing strike of 07 when JLM fell apart. Bertlani and the writers were hired in 07.


These projects usually take that long from conception to final product.


Last edited by Man of Tomorrow; 06-16-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Man of Tomorrow is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #60
Project862006
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,208
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

and reynolds auditioned at the last minute - much like chris evans did for cap auditions ,if cooper did'nt mess up his audition ryan never would of got it

to say since 2007 that DC wanted Reynolds for hal jordan 3-4 years in advance is the most ridiculous thing i have heard you say

Project862006 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #61
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

I never said that. I said, they wanted the comedic, zany approach to this, aping Iron Man, from the getgo.

Not specifically Reynolds, Cooper etc... But RR definitely fit the mold of what they wanted. Too bad it wasn't GL.

Man of Tomorrow is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #62
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,040
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Like I said...the zany comedy crap was written with Jack Black in mind NOT Ryan Reynolds

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #63
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
Like I said...the zany comedy crap was written with Jack Black in mind NOT Ryan Reynolds
Umm nope.

That was a different iteration of GL. That was in 2004 when Robert Smigel wrote a spec script for this.

It wasn't approved obviously and got panned.


The preproduction for the film released tonight began in 2007 when Bertlani and his writers were signed and wrote their own script, which got leaked on the internet in 2008.


Last edited by Man of Tomorrow; 06-16-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Man of Tomorrow is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 PM   #64
Saint
The Devil's Robot
 
Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto.
Posts: 12,727
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
LOL. Secret Origin was written by Geoff Johns as they were doing the GL script for the film.

It was obviously meant to retcon Hal to fit with how the film wanted to present him. It's painfully obvious. I really hope Johns stays away from the films now.
Yeah, this is basically entirely wrong. It's pretty obvious that Secret Origin was written as a continuity-launch pad for Blackest Night, not to fit the film (which was originally scripted more in line with Emerald Dawn, anyway).

__________________
  • Days of Future Past is a game changer, positioning the X-Men films to overcome past mistakes and explore fresh, bold territory. PS: Now let's fix Cyclops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Saint is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #65
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Yeah, this is basically entirely wrong. It's pretty obvious that Secret Origin was written as a continuity-launch pad for Blackest Night, not to fit the film (which was originally scripted more in line with Emerald Dawn, anyway).
You missed the point, we were talking specifically about Hal's characterization... being lighthearted, goofy and zany.

Apparently Michael Green and Marc G. admitted John's work lined up with theirs. Made sense since Johns was tied to the movie too. They turned to his guidance to solve problems.

Therefore lining up with John's 2008 run isn't some major achievement. It was all conceptualized and done around the same time and Johns had an influence on both properties.

Though I'd say it's a detrimental influence based on the outcome.

Man of Tomorrow is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #66
Saint
The Devil's Robot
 
Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto.
Posts: 12,727
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
You missed the point, we were talking specifically about Hal's characterization... being lighthearted, goofy and zany.
Which doesn't make any sense, given that Johns doesn't write Jordan as "Goofy and zany." If that influence came from somewhere, it wasn't from Johns.

__________________
  • Days of Future Past is a game changer, positioning the X-Men films to overcome past mistakes and explore fresh, bold territory. PS: Now let's fix Cyclops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Saint is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 04:09 PM   #67
Man of Tomorrow
Banned User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,877
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Well apparently his Hal in Secret Origins was characterized noticeably different than what came before (including his prior work with the character, GL Rebirth etc).

Man of Tomorrow is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #68
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,040
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

I don't know what in the world MOT is talking about and something tells me neither does he...and furthermore I don't really care about Green Lantern. This is the Superman forum...

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #69
Saint
The Devil's Robot
 
Saint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Toronto.
Posts: 12,727
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man of Tomorrow View Post
Well apparently his Hal in Secret Origins was characterized noticeably different than what came before (including his prior work with the character, GL Rebirth etc).
No, he was not characterized any different from how Johns has written Jordan before, except in that he was inexperienced.

__________________
  • Days of Future Past is a game changer, positioning the X-Men films to overcome past mistakes and explore fresh, bold territory. PS: Now let's fix Cyclops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint View Post
Also? Hilarious this, hilarious that, I win and you lose.
Saint is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #70
GreenKToo
In the fire
 
GreenKToo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the fire.
Posts: 11,104
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

I bet we get a sneak peek of the suit sooner now.

__________________
''Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.'' ~ John Wayne


GreenKToo is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #71
Kal-El.9859
X-Men Gold Team
 
Kal-El.9859's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Smallville/Metropolis
Posts: 10,040
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
I bet we get a sneak peek of the suit sooner now.
I hope so to get the bad taste of Green Lantern out of people's mouths

__________________
My father believed, if the world found out who I really was, they'd reject me...out of fear. He was convinced that the world wasn't ready. What do you think?
-Superman

You live, you die, you fight...as brothers
Kal-El.9859 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #72
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,216
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Comic-Con. No sooner. I think the Jor-El casting should do it for now. Should the movie bomb upon release, well they may announce a Superman/Batman flick directed by Chris Nolan featuring Bale and Cavill, lol.

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 05:53 PM   #73
camp Blood
For your health!
 
camp Blood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New jersey
Posts: 4,086
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

What kind of first image would you guys like to see, a flying shot or something

__________________
If they're out there, I'm going to find them, and I'm going to gnaw on their skulls. Because it still hasn't gotten weird enough for me.

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts


camp Blood is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #74
solidsnake86
Side-Kick
 
solidsnake86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,047
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El.9859 View Post
I hope so to get the bad taste of Green Lantern out of people's mouths
I don't think a suit image will be the best idea right now because I see nothing but people complaining about it, especially if they ditch the trunks. That may lead to bad press for DC in general. Smartest thing for them to do at this point is wait a bit then release a pic of catwoman, then superman.

solidsnake86 is offline  
Old 06-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #75
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker
 
Godzilla2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,844
Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake86 View Post
I don't think a suit image will be the best idea right now because I see nothing but people complaining about it, especially if they ditch the trunks. That may lead to bad press for DC in general. Smartest thing for them to do at this point is wait a bit then release a pic of catwoman, then superman.
I agree.

__________________
Fan of Christopher Nolan's Batman!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIM View Post
This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.