Look it stars Madame Xanadu

I promise that is the last time I will sing

Humankind is enslaved by giraffe
Mystirious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:18 AM   #27
Cosmic
Theosophist

Default Re: DCU Dark

I will have to check out Swamp Thing, Demon Knights and Animal Man...at least for the first month. I haven't read monthlies in over a year. Maybe these will bring me back.

Not only can Krypto now talk like a human, but his powers are far superior to mine! I can no longer be his master! -Superboy, Adventure Comics #239
Cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #28
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32919

Milligan talking bit more about JLD

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:42 PM   #29
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Neat thanks for the link Tron Bonne

Old 06-22-2011, 07:53 PM   #30
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron Bonne View Post
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32919

Milligan talking bit more about JLD
This book interests me even more after reading that. And the art looks rather nice. Will definitely be picking up the first issue for a look.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #31
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Yep this is definitely a comic book I will be buying. It sounds really good so far and i love the cast

Old 06-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #32
Pyro Man
Side-Kick

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32837

Abnett and Lanning talking about Resurrection Man. I've never read the original series but this is sounding like an awesome concept or as Mystirious might say it looks

Pyro Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #33
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Hahaha yes yes I would

That does actually sound really neat. I think i might check out the first couple of issues I remember really liking the original series

Old 06-23-2011, 03:59 PM   #34
Pyro Man
Side-Kick

I never read it but I'm hoping that collection will be out soon so I can check it out.

I'm especially interested in the science angle they're apparently going at with the character which I think is good cause it gives it its a unique quality to stick out amongst the other supernatural titles so I'm hoping that's played up some so we'll have sort of a science meets the supernatural theme.

Old 06-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #35
TheCorpulent1
Pshew!
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, it sounds like a potentially fun series. I love the concept of Resurrection Man and that they don't treat his deaths lightly.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #36
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Yep I think he is a really fascinating concept for a character. And a lot of what Abnett and Lanning have written has been pretty good so that's another good reason to read this new series

Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 PM   #37
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

On a DCU Dark related tangent, my Saga of the Swamp Thing hardcovers arrived in the mail yesterday. I sat down with volume 1 tonight. I already own the paperback of the first volume (the only Swamp Thing volume I owned, having borowed volumes 2-4 from a friend), but I'm so glad I decided to collect the series in hardcover format. Lovely presentation, and this edition had a treat in that it includes issue #20, the first issue of Alan Moore's run. This story, "Loose Ends", was more about Alan Moore wrapping up the plot threads of the previous writer, so in the paperback graphic novel they started with the more famous issue #21, "The Anatomy Lesson".

I didn't read much, just the introductions from Len Wein and Ramsay Campbell, and this previously-unread first chapter. But I'm reminded all over again of the craft and poetry Alan Moore brought to the character, and the visual innovation of his artistic collaborators (particularly Stephen Bissette, years ahead of his time, doing experimental layouts that would make J.H. Williams III jealous back in 1983). I definitely plan on rereading all 4 Saga of the Swamp Thing graphic novels before September, the month that brings us both the first issue of the Scott Snyder/Yanick Paquette Swamp Thing #1 and the fifth hardcover volume of Alan Moore's run.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:51 PM   #38
Tron Bonne
There's Evil Here. Within

Moore's run on Swamp Thing is pretty amazing; I think it's the run that got me from just being a fan to actually wanting me to write comics. Veitch's follow up arcs were pretty damn good, too.

"When you see a John Woo film, it's comforting to know how shallow the world really is. The full force of the manly coolness factor with a peice of nose hair sticking out from the tiny crack between manly and cool, exposes the thinness of the male hormone factor. It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool."

Quote:
I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days.
Tron Bonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 AM   #39
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Agreed its a truly amazing piece of writing and I think its one of the best things Moore has ever written I loved how he wrote the character and the stories he told with him

A shame the new Swamp Thing comic doesn't look as good.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #40
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Moores run on Swamp Thing was comic gold. Some of the best writing I have read in a comic ever.

I'm loving John Constantine in search for Swamp Thing. I'm guessing thats Dick as Batman his hanging with though right?

Old 06-24-2011, 05:08 AM   #41
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

I really want to check out the first issue of Search for Swamp Thing. Is the DCU John Constantine just like the vertigo version of the character

Old 06-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #42
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystirious View Post
Agreed its a truly amazing piece of writing and I think its one of the best things Moore has ever written I loved how he wrote the character and the stories he told with him

A shame the new Swamp Thing comic doesn't look as good.
I'd say the new Swamp Thing is one of the comics in this DC relaunch I'm most optimistic about. Writer Scott Snyder has yet to set a foot wrong, from creating one of 2010's best new comics in Vertigo's American Vampire to making Detective Comics the best it's been in years with a definitive take on Dick Grayson's Batman and a Gordon B-story that might be even better than the main feature. As for the art, Yanick Paquette has really impressed me with the lush, textured linework he's brought to the table in Batman Inc and the pirate issue of The Return of Bruce Wayne, while even fill-in artist Franceso Francavilla has used atmospheric shading and inventive layouts in his work on Detective Comics that would suggest he's a perfect match for a horror comic like Swamp Thing. The whole creative team suggests this will be a title worth getting excited about.

But will it be as good as the Moore/Bissette run? Of course not. I agree with you - I think it might be my favourite of all Alan Moore's work, and it's up there with my all-time favourite comics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
Moores run on Swamp Thing was comic gold. Some of the best writing I have read in a comic ever.

I'm loving John Constantine in search for Swamp Thing. I'm guessing thats Dick as Batman his hanging with though right?
Yeah, Moore's writing is amazing. Though, especially on repeat reading, I'm appreciating more and more just how much Bissette and Totleben brought to the book as well.

And yes, I believe it's Dick Grayson Batman in The Search for Swamp Thing.

Quote:
I really want to check out the first issue of Search for Swamp Thing. Is the DCU John Constantine just like the vertigo version of the character
I got the comic, and I have to say it was a rather "meh" comic all round. It seemed like not much of note happened, plot-wise, and for a 3-issue series you'd think they'd get moving a little bit more with the first issue. And John Constantine's English dialect was cringingly bad at times. There were a few nice little Easter eggs scattered around - like the nod to Constantine's brief meeting with Batman during Crisis on Infinite Earths - but I doubt it'll be enough to make me want to read the second issue.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #43
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

That's really dissapointing

I was really looking forward to seeing Constantine interact with the dc heroes sorry to hear its been so unimpressive and bland so far

Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #44
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Quote:
That's really dissapointing

I was really looking forward to seeing Constantine interact with the dc heroes sorry to hear its been so unimpressive and bland so far
Yeah, I think it's a real waste. It's a nothing story. I almost wonder if it might have been better to, after the return of Swamp Thing and Constantine at the end of Brightest Day, then keep them off-stage, and preserve the intrigue of them returning to the DCU for their new #1s in September.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #45
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
His de-aged. As I'm sure you know Constantine ages is real time in Hellblazer so his in his 50s. This is the younger version in his 30s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I got the comic, and I have to say it was a rather "meh" comic all round. It seemed like not much of note happened, plot-wise, and for a 3-issue series you'd think they'd get moving a little bit more with the first issue. And John Constantine's English dialect was cringingly bad at times. There were a few nice little Easter eggs scattered around - like the nod to Constantine's brief meeting with Batman during Crisis on Infinite Earths - but I doubt it'll be enough to make me want to read the second issue.
Yeah they did the comic book thing of laying it on thick. See how many British phrases and sayings you can say as possible

Its like we get it they are from another country chillax will you!

I wasn't too bothered or surprised though. Have you read Knight and Squire or Batgirl's team up with Squire?

Its the samething.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:04 PM   #46
Watchman
Adios, Cowboy

American writers write John Constantine as Dick Van Dyke from Marry Poppins.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #47
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

DCU Dark sounds like an Adult channel with DC characters...

Old 06-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #48
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

I would watch that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman View Post
American writers write John Constantine as Dick Van Dyke from Marry Poppins.
If the second issue does not involve Constantine dancing with chimney sweeps I'mma be dissapointed

Old 06-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #49
Pyro Man
Side-Kick

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=33026

Group interview with Snyder, Lemire, Cornell and Fiaklov talking about their DCU Dark books.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:02 AM   #50
Mystirious
Immortal Lesbian

Neat sounds like some interesting stuff. I am really interested in these new supernatural series DC are going to be publishing. They have some great writers and a really good cast of characters

I'm looking forward to seeing Zatanna and Constantine together again