The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 06-18-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Diemtay
Side-Kick

Default Toy Story, Avatar, and Distric 9 got Oscar noms, but TDK didn't? Why is this?

Toy Story 3 = A film written primarily for children audiences. It's about talking cgi Toys.

Avatar = A film about a guy who becomes a blue alien.

District 9 = A film about aliens on earth.

Now I understood the idea that TDK didn't get the nomination because it's "a comic book film" and it can be seen as immature but I don't see how the Oscars look past that, yet aknowledge those other films, which are clearly as immature and child-like as TDK.

The Oscars want to hold on to their high class standards, yet they nominate a film like Toy Story, and the others? This just doesn't make sense.

Other films like "Up" and "Inception" also come to mind as films just as worthy as TDK for an oscar, yet they get the nom and TDK doesn't. My question is, what is so bad about comic book films, that make them unworthy of an oscar, while films for children, and alien/scifi films are? If the Oscars truly wanted to seem mature, I don't see why they would have nominated any of those in the first place.

/angry fan boy rant

Diemtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
The Morningstar
Banned User

Default Re: Toy Story, Avatar, and Distric 9 got Oscar noms, but TDK didn't? Why is this?

If you want to summarize those films so simply, i'll do the same for TDK.

Guy dressed as a Bat gets all emo about not being able to stop a freak dressed as a clown.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: Toy Story, Avatar, and Distric 9 got Oscar noms, but TDK didn't? Why is this?

I agree it did deserve a nom. But comic book movies never get acknowledged no matter how good they are. It's old hat now. I think we'd all be surprised if one did get a nom.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Diemtay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
If you want to summarize those films so simply, i'll do the same for TDK.

Guy dressed as a Bat gets all emo about not being able to stop a freak dressed as a clown.
My point still stands. As immature as TDK may be, why is it unworthy of a nom while the other films are? They are all equally child-like (if you want to call it that)

Old 06-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
El Payaso
Banned User

Oscars suck. They've awarded hacks and snubbed geniuses.

I don't know why are people so surprised.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
Robin91939
Master Tim

All of the films you mentioned were nominated in a field of 10 nominations.

A field of 10 nominations can be attributed to The Dark Knight being snubbed in the 2008 year when there were still only 5 Best Picture Nominees.

People were so outraged that the ratings dropped and the Academy, in its infinite wisdom, raised the Best Picture Noms from 5 to 10 so that more main stream films had a shot at a nominations to grab more viewers the next years.

District 9, Avatar, and Toy Story 3, while all great films, have The Dark Knight to thank for their Best Picture Noms in some respect....

-R

Old 06-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
Diemtay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin91939 View Post
All of the films you mentioned were nominated in a field of 10 nominations.

A field of 10 nominations can be attributed to The Dark Knight being snubbed in the 2008 year when there were still only 5 Best Picture Nominees.

People were so outraged that the ratings dropped and the Academy, in its infinite wisdom, raised the Best Picture Noms from 5 to 10 so that more main stream films had a shot at a nominations to grab more viewers the next years.

District 9, Avatar, and Toy Story 3, while all great films, have The Dark Knight to thank for their Best Picture Noms in some respect....

-R
Ah very true, I completely forgot about that. With the 10 film category, that means TDKR might really have a chance at a nom.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #8
HappyDragon
Side-Kick

Yeah, it's interesting to think that it was The Dark Knight being snubbed that caused the Oscars to change their decades-long tradition of 5 nominations. Inception probably wouldn't have been nominated last year without that change. But yeah, here's hoping that TDKR will be nominated. It's awesome to think that it, at least, has that potential.

HappyDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #9
Sam Fisher
Heavy Meddle

Toy Story 3 is about on par with TDK, IMO.

I TRUST IN THE SPIDER-MAN REBOOT
Sam Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Wolverine1988
Side-Kick

The only one that didn't belong was by far Avatar.

Might be hands down the most overated movie of all time.

The most cliche predicatable plot in recent memory, average acting and IMO the whole 3d thing wasn't that special, yeah sure alot of cool colors but thats about

Wolverine1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
SuperFerret
This guy

I don't know. Sure, Avatar is pretty overrated, but so is TDK. Door swings both ways bucko.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #12
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

They've actually changed the rules again due to the fact that crappy movies like the Blind Side made it into the Best Picture category. Apparently now a film has to reach a certain level of votes to get a Best Picture nomination, so you could end up with 10 movies one year and 6 movies the next year depending on how strong each year is.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

comic book movies generally dont get nominated because they're generally not good enough to warrant nomination, and TDK was no exception. the film was good, but had enough flaws to stop it from being great and nomination worthy.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
Jokers_Wild
Always Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motown Marvel View Post
comic book movies generally dont get nominated because they're generally not good enough to warrant nomination, and TDK was no exception. the film was good, but had enough flaws to stop it from being great and nomination worthy.
diasagree completely...some of the best picture nominees that year weren't even good movies, they were hardly memorable. Subjective criticism due to the fact that TDK is a 'comic book' movie.

Two links that say it all:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_...ritics-numbers

vs.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/reader/

Old 07-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #15
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Shocking.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
You saying Oscars are so thoroughly exigent? Comedy gold.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #17
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

no, what i'm saying is: comic book movies generally dont get nominated because they're generally not good enough to warrant nomination, and TDK was no exception. the film was good, but had enough flaws to stop it from being great and nomination worthy.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I don't ever see a comic book movie getting an Academy Award for best picture. It can win other categories, mainly special fx. But never for best picture.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #19
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
no, what i'm saying is: comic book movies generally dont get nominated because they're generally not good enough to warrant nomination, and TDK was no exception. the film was good, but had enough flaws to stop it from being great and nomination worthy.
No more flaws than A Beautiful Mind for example.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #20
SuperFerret
This guy

A Beautiful Mind had Russell Crowe.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 PM   #21
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
A Beautiful Mind had Russell Crowe.
Its biggest flaw.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #22
fallenAngel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Its biggest flaw.
haha. Hated that movie.

Seriously though Avatar was nominated because it was James Cameron and with the exception of Return of the King Titanic was the last huge blockbuster that gained critical attention. The Academy has been looking for these kinds of movies.

District 9, Up, Toy Story 3 and Inception wouldn't have been nominated had it not been for the upping of the category. That being said, especially in Toy Story 3's case they are all good movies. Avatar still would have because it was recognized as a potential "game changer" in how movies were made. In retrospect, it wasn't really and that's why it didn't win.

Back in the day the Academy did nominate popular movies, but most big blockbusters suck nowadays.

Honestly the Dark Knight was never good enough to win, nominated sure. But that would have been more of a "high" scenario similar to Avatar. Once the dust settles people aren't THAT captivated by it. 2008 overall was pretty weak. Slumdog Millionaire was not oscar worthy either.

And the oscars to me aren't all that bad. They nominate good movies all the time, they just never give the statues to them. 127 hours, Social Network and Toy Story 3 were all infinitely better movies than the King's Speech.

And the Dark Knight received an oscar for the only part of it that truly deserved it.

Last edited by fallenAngel; 07-17-2011 at 04:01 PM.
fallenAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #23
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
No more flaws than A Beautiful Mind for example.
im talking about TDK. and im gonna judge it on its own merits and not in comparison to other films, because thats irrelevant.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 PM   #24
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
im talking about TDK. and im gonna judge it on its own merits and not in comparison to other films, because thats irrelevant.
Since when you're a member of the Academy again?

Old 07-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #25
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

im giving my personal opinion on why i believe TDK wasnt worth a best picture nomination.