The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight

Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
LvtLeeTDK
Side-Kick

Default Does anyone think that The Dark Knight doesn't feel like a "Batman" movie ?

1. Gotham:
Gotham City in Batman Begins is perfect, just perfect. The scenery, the atmosphere, the people, the criminals, everything is just outstanding. That's Gotham.

What do we got in TDK ? A fecking random big city, too clean and bright for my liking. That's not Gotham. Not sure why they change the city's tone.

2. Batman:

In Begins, Nolan really nailed Batman. He took what he'd learned from Ra's (make yourself more than just a man), he always scared the **** out of criminals before beating them. He was truly a dark, intimidating creature that scare the criminals. That's the best depiction of Comic Batman (feck you Ben Affleck) that I can ever asked. Even the voice was perfectly done.

In TDK, Batman's still good, but for me it was such a let down from Begins.

3. The production design.

In Begins, without seeing Batman, you can still feel that this is a Batman movie. Itbrilliantly captured the feel and atmosphere of Batman and his story, to an extend that I feeled like watching Batman Animated Series at some point. The film feels dark, creepy, haunting and mysterious.

TDK ? Not so much.

Dont get me wrong. TDK is my favorite CBM and one of the best films of 2000s. I just feel that it could have been much better in portraying Batman, Gotham and its atmosphere.

LvtLeeTDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
Tacit Ronin
Banned User

Default Re: Does anyone think that The Dark Knight doesn't feel like a "Batman" movie ?

Does anyone feel like Batman 89 doesn't feel like a Batman movie? Isn't Batman supposed to be goofy? This one was quite serious. Why weren't there visible sound effects when Batman punched things? Isn't Gotham supposed to look like a real city? Why did it look like a gothic fever dream? And all of it took place at night too. Where was the daylight man!

Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
LvtLeeTDK
Side-Kick

Default Re: Does anyone think that The Dark Knight doesn't feel like a "Batman" movie ?

Well, Begins wasn't goofy and all and it's the best depiction of Batman.

LvtLeeTDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:34 AM   #4
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

It feels like a different kind of Batman movie, but a Batman movie all the same.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Milk Tray Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
Herofan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LvtLeeTDK View Post
1. Gotham:
Gotham City in Batman Begins is perfect, just perfect. The scenery, the atmosphere, the people, the criminals, everything is just outstanding. That's Gotham.

What do we got in TDK ? A fecking random big city, too clean and bright for my liking. That's not Gotham. Not sure why they change the city's tone.
Agreed that that was a change for the worse. It seemed to be so that the film and its characters could say Things have gotten a lot better and/or so that they could later emphasize, hyperbole but maybe believable, that Things got a lot worse. To me that feels pretty forced, that you have to eliminate a lot of grime we previously saw, to make the city feel like a normal city right around you, for it to feel more dramatic when the city is really under siege and out of control.
Yeah, usually a significant aspect of Gotham is that it isn't just like a real city, because it's not things can be more intense.

Quote:
2. Batman:

In Begins, Nolan really nailed Batman. He took what he'd learned from Ra's (make yourself more than just a man), he always scared the **** out of criminals before beating them. He was truly a dark, intimidating creature that scare the criminals. That's the best depiction of Comic Batman (feck you Ben Affleck) that I can ever asked. Even the voice was perfectly done.

He didn't seem that different with the big exception that he seemed really eager to quit, that likewise felt an overly strong effort to put him a positive position and emphasize that he's done a lot of good in order to make his difficulties later on feel a lot worse.

I did really feel that the abducting Lau sequence felt a little too James Bond, much too much focus on just the technology rather than intimidation or moody atmosphere.

Herofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #6
wampa1
Side-Kick

I agree that Batman Begins is the best Nolan bat-flick. I think the best bat-flick overall though is Batman '89.

With The Dark Knight, it kinda made the central premise of a dude dressing up as a bat seem unbelievable in that world. They just wouldn't bother. They'd dress up as Tactical Suit Man though.

I'll keep saying this, but the more seriously you take Batman the sillier it gets.

wampa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #7
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by wampa1 View Post
I'll keep saying this, but the more seriously you take Batman the sillier it gets.
I think that's true. Once you start to break down and scrutinise the whole concept the ludicrousness of it starts to show. It's testament to the abilities of Nolan and his cast that they're able to present that ludicrous concept in a 'real world' setting and still for many of us make it credible, at least whilst we're watching.

"It's funny, isn't it? A life of truth, justice and the American, military, capitalist way. In the end, you die on the moon, wondering if your bowels will let go. And tomorrow, the world will go on like nothing happened. Dragged kicking and screaming to a better day." Manchester Black - Superman vs The Elite
Old 04-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
1. Gotham:

2. Batman:

In Begins, without seeing Batman, you can still feel that this is a Batman movie. Itbrilliantly captured the feel and atmosphere of Batman and his story, to an extend that I feeled like watching Batman Animated Series at some point. The film feels dark, creepy, haunting and mysterious.

TDK ? Not so much.

Dont get me wrong. TDK is my favorite CBM and one of the best films of 2000s. I just feel that it could have been much better in portraying Batman, Gotham and its atmosphere.
1. That is Gotham. It was every bit Gotham City. This is fact, not opinion;

What you mean to say it was not your preference for Gotham.

2. He was every inch Batman. He had the criminals running scared "Nah man, I don't like it tonight". He had the mob so scared they had their meetings in daylight. The difference between BB and TDK Batman was something scarier than Batman came along; The Joker. Suddenly the criminals were more afraid to cross the Joker than Batman.

3. The production design is one of the best aspects of TDK. So good it won the Art Director's Guild award.

So to answer the question of your thread, no I don't think it doesn't feel like a Batman movie. It not only feels like one, it is the best one.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #9
Awest66
Side-Kick

Quote:
So to answer the question of your thread, no I don't think it doesn't feel like a Batman movie. It not only feels like one, it is the best one.
I'll drink to that.

Awest66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #10
Herofan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
1. That is Gotham. It was every bit Gotham City.
I think those last two pictures you posted look a lot more stylized than normal city as in TDK.

Herofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:24 AM   #11
The Joker
The Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awest66 View Post
I'll drink to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herofan View Post
I think those last two pictures you posted look a lot more stylized than normal city as in TDK.
Good for you.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-17-2018 at 10:14 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
Rorschach2012
I'll Cancel the Pizzas

Quote:
1. Gotham:

2. Batman:

TDK ? Not so much.

I think TDK feels like a Batman movie. You can find issues that support the visual representation of Gotham in TDK and TDKR, but I just prefer the look of Gotham in Batman Begins.

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:47 PM   #13
Milk Tray Guy
70s Man of Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach2012 View Post
I think TDK feels like a Batman movie. You can find issues that support the visual representation of Gotham in TDK and TDKR, but I just prefer the look of Gotham in Batman Begins.
Have to agree. For me that was the only minus point for TDK, that Gotham looked so different to the version shown in BB.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
Brother Jack
Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk Tray Guy View Post
Have to agree. For me that was the only minus point for TDK, that Gotham looked so different to the version shown in BB.
If you look at the main parts of the city they aren't that different. The only real differences are the presence of the monorail (which you can still see in some wide shots in the other two films) and the Wayne Enterprises building. Begins mostly takes place in the Narrows, a small and isolated part of the city. Knight is mostly in the metropolitan, downtown areas of Gotham.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #15
OutOfBoose
Russian Hacker

It feels like a Batman movie, but I understand what people mean when they find TDK Gotham rather character-less, generic. Even TDKR Gotham felt like it had more atmosphere, probably because of more older buildings captured on camera, classic interiors...

Ultimately, not a big issue for me. Give the film some time and it's buildings will probably look very old-fashioned, very 00s.

Builds your roofs of dead wood. Builds your walls of dead stone. Builds your dreams of dead thoughts. Comes crying laughing singing back to life, takes what you steal, and pulls the skins from your dead bones shrieking.
--Clay tablet in an abandoned Trickster temple
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote