The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #276
Chewy
REDACTED

Default Re: Mandarin discussion thread

I don't know, the organization was called the 10 rings. So I'm pretty sure the rings will have been around for a while

Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #277
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I don't know, the organization was called the 10 rings. So I'm pretty sure the rings will have been around for a while
Yeah, if the rings turn out to be alien in origin, it *won't* be as a result of the Chitauri Invasion of Manhattan. The Ten Rings organization predates that battle by three years.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 08-14-2012, 04:43 PM   #278
ironmaidenrules
Side-Kick

Unless he always had ten rings for some ancient reason and he then crafts the alien tech into the rings

Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 PM   #279
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmaidenrules View Post
Unless he always had ten rings for some ancient reason and he then crafts the alien tech into the rings
Yeah.....no.

But Iron Maiden *does* rule.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #280
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

Huh, I didn't hear a lot about Iron Maiden...she was some sort of Russian chick, right?

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #281
ironmaidenrules
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah.....no.

But Iron Maiden *does* rule.
Yes they do indeed. I guess the real question is why hasn't mandarin attacked yet if he always had the rings, why now? What changed? What's the master plan? If it's just ****ing with Tony he could have done that earlier

Old 08-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #282
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmaidenrules View Post
Yes they do indeed. I guess the real question is why hasn't mandarin attacked yet if he always had the rings, why now? What changed? What's the master plan? If it's just ****ing with Tony he could have done that earlier
I'm hoping there'll be a big secret revealed showing why Mandarin has any interest in Tony at all. I'm sure it derives from some old history with Howard somewhere along the line that has yet to be divulged.

Because honestly, there's nothing in IM1 or IM2 that gives Mandarin a real motive to go **** with Tony. The plan in IM1 was simple enough, to kidnap Tony and force him to build weapons for the Ten Rings. Plus, on the other hand, Stane wanted Tony dead so he could take over the family business. Once that plot backfired in their faces, Stane was the only one who tried to seek revenge against Tony, or at least try to finish what Raza could not.

In IM2, there's no real hint that Mandarin or the Ten Rings are still trying to mess with Tony Stark, nor do they have any real reason to. Revenge? For what? For a failed mission carried out by two bosses who are now dead (Stane and Raza)? It was a calculated risk that blew up in their faces....Mandarin has nothing to gain by "punishing" Tony for daring to escape from his deathtrap.

Seriously, I see nothing in IM1 or IM2 that would cultivate a seething hatred for Tony Stark in Mandarin. I honestly think Mandy could care less about Tony, other than being mildly irritated that he lost a few semi-valuable sub-bosses and a base in Afghanistan due to Iron Man's intervention. So the only motivation I can see for Mandarin going after Tony is something much older, something that may involve Howard Stark. Or, maybe even something cosmic --- if the ten (actual) rings *are* alien in origin, and predate the Chitauri Invasion, maybe there's something there that makes the rings point to Stark as someone important to their alien creators.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #283
Chewy
REDACTED

Or maybe Mandy is funding Killian and Hansen's Extremis research and Tony starts getting all up in their business. Seems pretty simple.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #284
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Yeah, in these Bond movies, the villain often tries to kill Bond several times, even though he may never have heard of Bond before he started interfering with his plans. It's not always an age-old personal vendetta, just that if Bond starts becoming a problem, the villain wants to get rid of him, and unsuccessful attempts just makes the villain want to try harder.

Like Sean Bean's character Alec Trevelyan said in Goldeneye "why can't you just be a good boy and die?"

Or Hugo Drax in Moonraker: "Mr Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to plan an amusing death for you."

Or Drax again: "James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season."

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 08-16-2012, 10:58 AM   #285
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Yeah, in these Bond movies, the villain often tries to kill Bond several times, even though he may never have heard of Bond before he started interfering with his plans. It's not always an age-old personal vendetta, just that if Bond starts becoming a problem, the villain wants to get rid of him, and unsuccessful attempts just makes the villain want to try harder.

Like Sean Bean's character Alec Trevelyan said in Goldeneye "why can't you just be a good boy and die?"

Or Hugo Drax in Moonraker: "Mr Bond, you persist in defying my efforts to plan an amusing death for you."

Or Drax again: "James Bond. You appear with the tedious inevitability of an unloved season."
I guess the previous poster's point was that they might want to tie Mandarin into the first two movies and show that he has really been Iron Man's nemesis this whole time. I do think they should tie him into IM1 with the Ten Rings in some capacity, but he doesn't necessarily need to be tied to Vanko.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #286
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideymouse View Post
I guess the previous poster's point was that they might want to tie Mandarin into the first two movies and show that he has really been Iron Man's nemesis this whole time. I do think they should tie him into IM1 with the Ten Rings in some capacity, but he doesn't necessarily need to be tied to Vanko.
I understand what the previous poster was saying and it's fine to tie him into the first couple of movies. What I'm saying is that he doesn't need a personal vendetta that goes beyond IM foiling his plans in those 2 movies or some grudge against Howard Stark.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 08-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #287
Chewy
REDACTED

Him being in charge of the 10 Rings organization is enough of a tie-in IMO. Trying to give him a personal stake in the other two movies' events feels way too George Lucasy

Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM   #288
spideymouse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Him being in charge of the 10 Rings organization is enough of a tie-in IMO. Trying to give him a personal stake in the other two movies' events feels way too George Lucasy
Agreed. Actually, feels too Sand Raimi-y.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #289
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Or maybe Mandy is funding Killian and Hansen's Extremis research and Tony starts getting all up in their business. Seems pretty simple.
Except Tony doesn't get all up in their business. Killian swallowed a self-inflicted bullet, and Maya *asked* him to come and investigate the suicide. So it's not like he's meddling somewhere he's not wanted.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #290
Chewy
REDACTED

This is not the comics? It's an adaptation?

I think it's pretty safe to say they didn't hire Guy Pearce to play a single-scene part

Old 08-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #291
godisawesome
Side-Kick

I could see Mandarin being irritated that Tony has persisted in transforming himself into a world-wide heroic character, and that he almost undoubtedly sees Iron Man as a singular threat to his international goals.

Remember how Iron Mn makes his first public appearance tearing apart a separate Ten Rings operation that somehow involved the seizing of territory in the Middle East. Not some terrorist operation; they were actively carving out a fief for themselves.

Ten bucks says the Mandarin has some world-wide scheme in which he sees the technologically inclined Stark as a far bigger threat than any of the other Avengers, and so he makes a preemptive strike against Stark that ends up being merely the first salvo in their private war.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #292
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

so i guess no one thought of anything cool enough in time to circumvent the inevitable "armored Mandarin?" sigh. I guess as long as he has some bad ass weaponry in the fingers/hands. also, he better not be some Eastern tech genius.

Is the armor really going to be silver? making the Mark I, Mark II/Rhodey, Iron Monger, and Whiplash all silver or metallic grey wasnt enough? They couldnt do black or green or purple or something? I'll guess i will save some sighs for when i see it.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #293
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I'm liking the character description for "The Mandarin" by Feige.

But this version of The Mandarin will not follow that same backstory, said Kevin Feige, the president of Marvel Studios. Don’t expect aliens, even though The Avengers and Thor opened up this unified cinematic world to the presence of extra-terrestrials.
Iron Man 3 will be more about a clash of technology, Feige says and those who have been paying close attention to the previous two films know that The Ten Rings is a term for the terrorist group that kidnapped Tony Stark in the first movie, and gave the villain Whiplash some assistance in the sequel.
In that way, The Mandarin (who for a time was going to be the main villain in the first film) has been a part of the Iron Man series from the beginning, albeit as the off-screen manipulator.
“A lot of this movie is about characters going back into the shadows for various reasons and characters who have been in the shadows coming out and into the light for the first time,” Feige says. “It is Tony who, for various reasons, finds himself receding into the darkness. I don’t mean emotional darkness, I mean literally ducking out of the spotlight. And we’ll see other characters stepping up who have pulled strings from the background, starting to show their hand.”
Kingsley is not, of course, Chinese, but Feige says they wanted to blur the background of this version of The Mandarin. “It’s less about his specific ethnicity than the symbolism of various cultures and iconography that he perverts for his own end,” Feige says. From his samurai hair, to his royal robe, to his bin Laden-esque beard, and the AK-47 he keeps at his side, Kingsley’s interpretation is a hodgepodge of various warrior motifs.
In his attempt to rid the world of its oppressors by replacing them, The Mandarin considers himself a twisted version of absolute good.
“Don’t all good villains?” says Feige.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/2...in-first-look/

Old 10-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #294
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

He looks awesome.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #295
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

I'm really hoping that the Ten Rings is not actually rings he manipulates and is really just ten different organizations that form The Mandarin's entire criminal network.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #296
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
I'm really hoping that the Ten Rings is not actually rings he manipulates and is really just ten different organizations that form The Mandarin's entire criminal network.
That could work out well and he could still have ten power rings that have element properties that give him powers (Fire, Water, Earth etc....)

Old 10-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #297
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

He looks awesome indeed.

But if someone had shown me that picture and had told me that Ben Kingsley is going to play one of the 13 dwarves in the Hobbit movie, I would have believed it.

Last edited by Incredible Hans; 10-22-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #298
marcvader
Lurker #1

He definitely looks more dwarvish than some of them.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 10-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #299
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Had my doubts about how he would love...but now that we have the first pic my fears are completely gone. This is gonna be a great movie.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #300
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Personally I hope he actually has ten rings and it isn't just a euphemism for the organisation itself.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Closed Thread