The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #401
SpideyFan866
Hero Support
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,358
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youkaisama View Post
Yea. It's Arabic.

Only one I could read is the yellow one. Knowing The Mandarin, most possible translation would be "Matter".

But the Arabic word they used is the verb matter, not the noun matter, as in volume and mass kind of matter.

I guess somebody just chucked in the word "Matter" in some random translator.

But don't take my word, my Arabic's a bit rusty.
They did.

When you plug the word matter into google translate, the straight foward translation is whats on the ring, from what i cant tell.

SpideyFan866 is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 AM   #402
youkaisama
Alien from Uranus
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malaysia & New Zealand
Posts: 157
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
They did.

When you plug the word matter into google translate, the straight foward translation is whats on the ring, from what i cant tell.
Just checked on Google Translate. Plugging in "Matter" somehow gives out the Arabic word for "to order" or "to instruct" directly. Weird.

I see the word used on the ring is on the other translations list, the first one under verb.

So yeah, probably a case of the mistranslations.

Can't bloody read the words on the other rings tho.

__________________
Everyone's screwed up. But don't let your screw up screw other people up. [the SFW version]
youkaisama is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #403
Radford
Savage.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 617
Posts: 405
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I loved the trailer but I'm not convinced about the Mandarin. White guys dressing as Asian guys seems not quite right in my opinion. It gets worryingly close to Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffanys"
Ben Kingsley won an Oscar for playing Mahatma Gandhi. I think your point is moot.



My question is why does the Mandarin have a tattoo of Cap's shield, with an A on it, on the back of his neck? Bizarre yet blatant easter egg?

Radford is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:35 AM   #404
huzzah
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 609
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
is anyone else positive suprised about the accent? it sounds to so different.
Yes. Its sounds commanding and influential.

I am wondering if this Mandarin has direct connection with the USA.

huzzah is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #405
youkaisama
Alien from Uranus
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malaysia & New Zealand
Posts: 157
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radford View Post
Ben Kingsley won an Oscar for playing Mahatma Gandhi. I think your point is moot.



My question is why does the Mandarin have a tattoo of Cap's shield, with an A on it, on the back of his neck? Bizarre yet blatant easter egg?
My friend has a wild speculation. Super wild.

Mandarin's a failed super soldier project, kinda like how Banner was as well.
But since Mandarin's older, he's probably in the Phase Zero of the project.

Again, super wild speculation. By my friend. He's more of a Marvel fan than I am.

__________________
Everyone's screwed up. But don't let your screw up screw other people up. [the SFW version]
youkaisama is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 07:39 AM   #406
huzzah
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 609
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I loved the trailer but I'm not convinced about the Mandarin. White guys dressing as Asian guys seems not quite right in my opinion. It gets worryingly close to Mickey Rooney in "Breakfast at Tiffanys"
He's half Indian and born with an Indian name.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Kingsley

Quote:
Kingsley was born Krishna Pandit Bhanji in Snainton, North Riding of Yorkshire, England, the son of Anna Lyna Mary (née Goodman), an actress and model, and Rahimtulla Harji Bhanji, a Nizari Ismaili Muslim medical doctor.

huzzah is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #407
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator
 
craigdbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 28,702
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youkaisama View Post
Yea. It's Arabic.

Only one I could read is the yellow one. Knowing The Mandarin, most possible translation would be "Matter".

But the Arabic word they used is the verb matter, not the noun matter, as in volume and mass kind of matter.

I guess somebody just chucked in the word "Matter" in some random translator.

But don't take my word, my Arabic's a bit rusty.
I don't think it's random. That may actually give us a clue as to Mandarins abilities when it comes to the power of those rings (or at least that particular ring).

That may be the way he's controlling the suits. By taking control of "matter" per say.

I'm completely speculating here.

__________________
Quote:
For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #408
youkaisama
Alien from Uranus
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malaysia & New Zealand
Posts: 157
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I don't think it's random. That may actually give us a clue as to Mandarins abilities when it comes to the power of those rings (or at least that particular ring).

That may be the way he's controlling the suits. By taking control of "matter" per say.

I'm completely speculating here.
Yeah. That's what clarifies things for me. Mandarin does have a "Matter Rearranger" ring, along with his Ice Beam rings, Fire ring, etc. That's why I think the writing on the yellow ring is supposed to translate to "Matter".

But what I'm saying is, they used a wrong arabic word for the word "Matter". They used the matter in "How does it matter to you.." kind of matter.
You get what I mean?

Damn, languages are tricky stuff.

__________________
Everyone's screwed up. But don't let your screw up screw other people up. [the SFW version]
youkaisama is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #409
SpideyFan866
Hero Support
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,358
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youkaisama View Post
My friend has a wild speculation. Super wild.

Mandarin's a failed super soldier project, kinda like how Banner was as well.
But since Mandarin's older, he's probably in the Phase Zero of the project.

Again, super wild speculation. By my friend. He's more of a Marvel fan than I am.
I HIGHLY doubt that.

That would make him older than Captain America, and not just physically.

and its already been established in this universe that Johann Schmidt was, more or less, Phase Zero of that project.

SpideyFan866 is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #410
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator
 
craigdbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Interstellar
Posts: 28,702
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youkaisama View Post
Yeah. That's what clarifies things for me. Mandarin does have a "Matter Rearranger" ring, along with his Ice Beam rings, Fire ring, etc. That's why I think the writing on the yellow ring is supposed to translate to "Matter".

But what I'm saying is, they used a wrong arabic word for the word "Matter". They used the matter in "How does it matter to you.." kind of matter.
You get what I mean?

Damn, languages are tricky stuff.
Oh I see. lol

That's sort of a funny slip up then (albeit a sort of ignorant one).

__________________
Quote:
For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #411
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Mandy sounds like Agent Smith from The Matrix.

Anybody else notice that the tat on the back of his neck is Cap's shield with an anarchy "A" in the center instead of a star....? Nice Cap connection there, and it shows what Mandarin's ultimate true goal is.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #412
youkaisama
Alien from Uranus
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Malaysia & New Zealand
Posts: 157
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
I HIGHLY doubt that.

That would make him older than Captain America, and not just physically.

and its already been established in this universe that Johann Schmidt was, more or less, Phase Zero of that project.
I mean, in between Capsicle and Hulk, "a lot of people" did try to replicate the super soldier serum after Cap disappeared. Coulson said so in The Avengers.

And the theory is that Mandarin is one of the subjects, failed subjects, between Cap and Hulk.
It indirectly explains why Mandarin has an American accent.

And Mandarin as a failed super soldier kinda give some sense on why Iron Patriot is in the movie.
Probably exploring on the theme of how the government treat soldiers and veterans: Does the government see soldiers are mere weapons? What happens to the soldiers post-service?

Probably that's why
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Mandarin is trying to kill the POTUS. Assuming the rumours are true.

But, my friend's probably wrong. Sounds crazy.

Another theory is that the shield represents America. A represents Anarchy.
Anarchy in America. I like this one better.

Man, I love when promo material comes out. Gives a lot of things to talk about.

__________________
Everyone's screwed up. But don't let your screw up screw other people up. [the SFW version]

Last edited by youkaisama; 10-23-2012 at 08:54 AM.
youkaisama is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #413
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 20,773
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Maybe this "matter" on Mandarin's ring is some kind of matter rearranger?

Or maybe it's just to remind him every now and again when he gets too hot and bothered that "it doesn't matter".

I really hope his rings have some kind of powers, even if it's coming out of the Extremis virus and is purely technologically based. Taking away his powers and just making him a terrorist leader would be like taking away Magneto's magnetic abilities and just making him a radical leader of a movement. Mandarin's ring powers are the very thing that make him unique.

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #414
747
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.
 
747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 4,068
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

I can definitely see them go for the pure tech based rings. But yeah if the rings don't have any powers, that will be lame and take away a lot from the character.

747 is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #415
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Pretty sure the rings will have powers. Mandarin's gonna need 'em, if the rumor is true....


Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
According to inside source rumors, Mandarin battles no less than FORTY Iron Man suits, all (but one) remotely piloted, or sentient.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #416
SpideyFan866
Hero Support
 
SpideyFan866's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 16,358
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

I just had a though about Mandarin's voice in the trailer.

I think it may have sounded a bit off because he may have been wearing a helmet. The sound of it reminds me of when Tony speaks in the armor.

Very IM and Bane like. It just has that, loud artificial flare like those had.

SpideyFan866 is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #417
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
I just had a though about Mandarin's voice in the trailer.

I think it may have sounded a bit off because he may have been wearing a helmet. The sound of it reminds me of when Tony speaks in the armor.

Very IM and Bane like. It just has that, loud artificial flare like those had.
Nah, it's not muffled. Even before you saw Bane's mask in the teaser trailer, you could tell his voice was muffled.

Kinglsey has just opted to go for a weird Hugo Weaving as Agent Smith accent of indeterminate ethnicity.

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #418
MichaelChen
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 305
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOZlovesBOOZ View Post
TBH I'd be fine with them just shooting something similar to repulsor beams. But even if they did that i don't understand how mandarin would just shrug off tony's attacks without anything enhancing his durability.
Probably the same way he does in the books: by being superhumanly strong thanks to Chi-amping.

MichaelChen is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #419
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick
 
JerseyJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Jersey Represent!!
Posts: 1,821
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

People are not realizing where Mandarin's voiceover is coming from. It most likely is from a scene in the film they just cut to be used as a voiceover in the trailer.

So what are the conditions of that scene where he is speaking, maybe there is a purpose for him to be kinda calm and slow tempoed about his speak.

__________________
This is my blog:

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #420
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda
 
TheComicbookKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 9,536
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

I'm not a fan of the voice, but whatever, I'm just going to go with it.


But I reserve(cause my voice matters!!) the right to say that there's something even more offensive about the character now. A terrorist called the Mandarin, with Chinese dressing/hair styling then swapped out with an Indian like it's just nothing.

__________________
"Great men are forged in fire. It is the privilege of lesser men to light the flame."- War
TheComicbookKid is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 AM   #421
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick
 
JerseyJoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Jersey Represent!!
Posts: 1,821
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Agreed needed more greenish/yellow skin.

__________________
This is my blog:

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #422
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger
 
The Caped Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 28,444
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

BEHOLD THE RINGS !

The Caped Knight is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #423
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson
 
cherokeesam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cherokee, NC
Posts: 12,047
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyJoker View Post
People are not realizing where Mandarin's voiceover is coming from. It most likely is from a scene in the film they just cut to be used as a voiceover in the trailer.

So what are the conditions of that scene where he is speaking, maybe there is a purpose for him to be kinda calm and slow tempoed about his speak.
I'd say the scene most likely involves a hostage situation, since he addresses "women, children, sheep." Hopefully not *literal* sheep, but hey, maybe he hates them, too. Dirty wool-wearing grass-eaters....

__________________
THE COTTON AVENGERS

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #424
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra
 
Dark Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tall and tan and young and lovely
Posts: 20,773
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I'd say the scene most likely involves a hostage situation, since he addresses "women, children, sheep." Hopefully not *literal* sheep, but hey, maybe he hates them, too. Dirty wool-wearing grass-eaters....
It's a pity that this didn't take place after GotG and CA:TWS. He could say "falcons, racoons, sheep..."

__________________
Quote:
Anne Hathaway: "You did not just ask me that!! What a forward young man you are!!! My goodness!!"
Dark Raven is online now  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #425
DigificWriter
Side-Kick
 
DigificWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,738
Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin!

The character's accent seemed a bit 'off' to me in the trailer, but it's not a big-enough deal to turn me off from seeing the movie. I'm just glad that we're finally getting to see IM's most recognizable antagonist 'in the flesh'.

DigificWriter is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.