The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #126
Chewy
REDACTED

Default Re: Mandarin discussion thread

If Mandarin were Chinese, China wouldn't have released the film and it would be out ~100M at the box office. It kinda sucks but it's also that simple.

At least they got the most ethnically ambiguous actor they could. I doubt his race will even come up in the film.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #127
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
If Mandarin were Chinese, China wouldn't have released the film and it would be out ~100M at the box office. It kinda sucks but it's also that simple.

At least they got the most ethnically ambiguous actor they could. I doubt his race will even come up in the film.
Personally I think it might have more to do with the Afghan setting of the first film and how they established things like the Razza, the Ten Rings and Yinsen. They might feel that Ben Kingsley as the Mandarin may feel more in keeping with what was set in IM1.

I'm just not sure that China would have objected outright to Mandarin as Chinese (even in part) since it's not likely the character would have been adapted as a stereotype anyway.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #128
Chewy
REDACTED

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...n-Black-3.html

Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #129
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
I stand corrected. Though this bit made me laugh. Slight spoilers for MIB3.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
But the Chinese government apparently saw plenty of political resonance in one scene where Will Smith, playing a US secret agent, erases the memories of a group of Chinese bystanders.
"This could have been a hint on the use of internet censorship to maintain social stability," commented China's Southern Daily newspaper.

Also...

Quote:
We are still in transition from propaganda to entertainment
How creepy is that?

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #130
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

First off, they've never referred to any of Stark's enemies by their comic book names. "Whiplash" was never spoken in the film, and "Iron Monger" was only said in passing by Jeff Bridges as "we're iron mongers Tony." So I think they will probably either have Kingsley's character nameless or perhaps "Gene Khan", although I always thought that name was kind of lame in the comics, but it is more Westernized as not to offend.

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 06-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #131
DJ_KiDDvIcIOUs
I bring da FUNK!

Ben will kill it as mandy

Old 06-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #132
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Despite being Asian myself, I sometimes wish we could go back to the un-PC age of filmmaking where you could have the kind of villains you wanted. Nowadays you'd never get the likes of Dr No or Ming the Merciless. We can't even get Nazis in Captain America. Soon even any Afghan rebels or Taliban will probably be out of the question.

Films used to be more fun without having to worry about constantly offending everyone. Mandarin would've been great as a full-blown faithful Asian version.

Un-PC FTW!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:17 AM   #133
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Despite being Asian myself, I sometimes wish we could go back to the un-PC age of filmmaking where you could have the kind of villains you wanted. Nowadays you'd never get the likes of Dr No or Ming the Merciless. We can't even get Nazis in Captain America. Soon even any Afghan rebels or Taliban will probably be out of the question.

Films used to be more fun without having to worry about constantly offending everyone. Mandarin would've been great as a full-blown faithful Asian version.

Un-PC FTW!
I think the worst example of PC dumbing things and watering things down to the point of nothingness is still The Sum of All Fears. Lesson learned from the changes: making Palestinians and Native Americans as bad guys is a no-no; instead, stick with the stereotypes of mustache-twirlingly evil neo-Nazis and Russkies. Yeah, nothing reverse-racist about *that.*

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 06-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #134
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I don't like it either but that's the world we live in.

Just want to see Cap punch out a proper Nazi, is that so wrong?

I think the obvious problem though even with all this hypersensitivity, Hollywood is still incredibly backwards specifically the lack of Asian male leads.

- CM Punk
Old 06-24-2012, 05:46 AM   #135
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
I don't like it either but that's the world we live in.

Just want to see Cap punch out a proper Nazi, is that so wrong?

I think the obvious problem though even with all this hypersensitivity, Hollywood is still incredibly backwards specifically the lack of Asian male leads.
I think that is part of the problem (although of course, China is still communist as well and have extreme censorship). If there were Asian males having the lead role in a Hollywood movie that wasn't a martial arts film, that would change people's perception of them. Imagine them in a rom com (which many people can't, because they're not even seen as eligible romantic partners) or a drama.

Look at Will Smith. He's starred in "The Pursuit of Happyness" or "Hitch" as well as action movies like Men in Black or I Robot. There's also Denzel Washinton who has had a varied career. Even some of Eddie Murphy's roles within his comedies have still bordered on the romantic lead or slightly dramatic.

Now do you get any Asian males for those type of roles? Nope. Hollywood only sees them fit for Martial Arts movies and if you see an Asian on screen he's only good for fighting. It's gone from one extreme of them being portrayed as subservient to being only fighting machines who use their fists more than their words.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #136
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Only good for fighting or being the gadget or computer guy .

It's like they they are submitting the movie to Chinese censorship so they can work with China and get Chinese money but they can't actually include the Mandarin.

- CM Punk
Old 07-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #137
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:

Un-PC FTW!
The Nazi thing in Captain America had nothing to do with PCness, it was the fact that Captain America needed a bigger threat to justify the fact that WWII actually needed a superhero. Which sounds more exciting, Captain America vs. regular Nazi's or Captain america vs technologically advanced Nazi's who are so evil they have to break away from the regular Nazi's and Hitler and play by their own rules?

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 07-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #138
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
The Nazi thing in Captain America had nothing to do with PCness, it was the fact that Captain America needed a bigger threat to justify the fact that WWII actually needed a superhero. Which sounds more exciting, Captain America vs. regular Nazi's or Captain america vs technologically advanced Nazi's who are so evil they have to break away from the regular Nazi's and Hitler and play by their own rules?
Except the Nazis managed to conquer most of Europe and kill millions of people in the Holocaust, while Red Skull and Hydra never really succeeded in doing anything. Heck Red Skull spent most of the movie running away and in the end defeated himself when he touched the cube. Not exactly a threatening villain, he didn't even racist or particularly hate filled in the film, he just seemed like a generic James Bond. Red Skull as hate filled Nazi psychopath is far more compelling then the generic power mad take over the world villain he was in the film.

Last edited by The Overlord; 07-07-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #139
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

They weren't gonna do anything but subtly allude to the Holocaust in the Marvel movie verse, which is still technically an "all ages" thing right now, especially after Disney.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #140
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
Actually, fighting Nazis sounds just as exciting as when Indiana Jones did it. They are a real enemy and we like to see them get their comeuppance yet again. Hydra might be technologically superior, but they have little or no emotional impact for the audience and world in general, certainly not when compared with the Nazis who are the ultimate supervillains.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #141
titansupes
Side-Kick

Kingsley confirmed as The Mandarin, looking exactly as he does in the comics, apparently.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #142
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Kingsley confirmed as The Mandarin, looking exactly as he does in the comics, apparently.
But which version in the comics? He's had several costumes. Do they mean just his physical appearance (ie beard, fu manchu moustache, long hair etc) or his costume?

Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #143
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
But which version in the comics? He's had several costumes. Do they mean just his physical appearance (ie beard, fu manchu moustache, long hair etc) or his costume?
Supposedly, from the footage shown today, he has a shaved head with a pony-tail in the back.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #144
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

I gotta admit that I'm glad that Tony is going up against his biggest villain in the third film....really does feel satisfying to see someone much more intimidating than Hammer, Vanko, and Obadiah.

Old 07-15-2012, 12:12 AM   #145
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Glad weve gotten cap and red skull, thor and loki twice, and now iron man and mandarin!

3. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
5. Interstellar

Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #146
tamron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I gotta admit that I'm glad that Tony is going up against his biggest villain in the third film....really does feel satisfying to see someone much more intimidating than Hammer, Vanko, and Obadiah.
Agreed. Especially if this is Downey's last turn as Iron Man (heaven forbid) they at least have a chance to send it out with a big bang.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #147
kedrell
PopularisCulturaFanaticus

I still want an IM4. There's Madame Masque & Ghost left to do justice to. And I'd love for the Maggia to get introduced to the MCU the way AIM apparently is getting in IM3. Who better than Masque to bring it?

Old 07-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #148
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I still want an IM4. There's Madame Masque & Ghost left to do justice to. And I'd love for the Maggia to get introduced to the MCU the way AIM apparently is getting in IM3. Who better than Masque to bring it?
I think IM4 would be too much, but I'd love to see Masque in film too Love that psycho babe.

I am a hopeless Hiddles fangirl!

Old 07-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #149
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Actually, fighting Nazis sounds just as exciting as when Indiana Jones did it. They are a real enemy and we like to see them get their comeuppance yet again. Hydra might be technologically superior, but they have little or no emotional impact for the audience and world in general, certainly not when compared with the Nazis who are the ultimate supervillains.
But... HYDRA are nazis so that doesn't make any sense. They're the same thing. The only difference is that HYDRA is a superior version of them, that's the ONLY difference. Just as Captain America is an advanced version of an american soldier.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 07-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #150
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
from the description of the comicon footage, he's got a long robe and the rings and some kind of funky rock star hairdoo.

I haven't seen the footage, but from the description I'm thinking it may be like this:

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Closed Thread