Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #51
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Default Re: Henry Cavill IS Superman: - Part 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharih View Post
B) Just hue/shift them in the color correction part of production...which is child's play to do these days.
I'd rather that money go towards making a better film than waste it adjusting his eye colour to juuuust the right blue.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #52
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
I'd rather that money go towards making a better film than waste it adjusting his eye colour to juuuust the right blue.
Trust me, it doesn't cost a lot in the long run. It's standard operating procedure on a film of this quality to color correct every shot in the final film to make sure every little detail is just right, and the software has made this a pretty amazingly streamlined process.
If you have the king kong dvd, check the special features and they show how they approached the film with luster. I haven't worked on a movie of that scope yet, and I use after effects to do most of my color work, but shifting light eyes like that to blue is just one of those little things they'll do for each shot, along with everything else.
Plus, it could help to make them otherworldly blue when he's in full suit which would add to the dramatic effect I think.

edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jov9e4fo7iE

Youtube quality and prior compression makes it impossible to see an accurate reflection of the "before" and "after" examples....but if you skip to about 3:20 or so you can hear the colorist talk about the process and you'll understand what I mean.

Last edited by sepharih; 06-29-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #53
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Digital color grading can and will enhance the look of the film, and enhancing details like eye brightness and colour in key shots is cool, but I think that spending the time and money doing it for tons of shots throughout a feature film would be wasteful. Then again, maybe it'll just be a drop in the bucket and no one on the production will give two craps about the dollars going towards it.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #54
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
Digital color grading can and will enhance the look of the film, and enhancing details like eye brightness and colour in key shots is cool, but I think that spending the time and money doing it for tons of shots throughout a feature film would be wasteful. Then again, maybe it'll just be a drop in the bucket and no one on the production will give two craps about the dollars going towards it.
Again, trust me, it pretty much already happens. Not necessarily for the eyes always, but at this point, in a major blockbuster release like this movie will be, it's very difficult to find any shot that hasn't had some kind of digital enhancement. Doing the eyes isn't going to add a huge additional cost since it'll be one of those "oh, and while you're on that shot" kind of enhancements.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #55
SuperDaniel
Banned User

LOL they are NOT going to change the color of his eyes. Thats one of the most ridiculous things ive read on this board...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #56
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
LOL they are NOT going to change the color of his eyes. Thats one of the most ridiculous things ive read on this board...
I really wouldn't be surprised if they enhance them in post here and there (this is Zack Snyder we're talking about, remember). Nothing drastic....just something subtle to enhance the blue and make them almost otherworldly. Naomi Watts in King Kong is a really good example of what I mean.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #57
Project862006
Banned User

i think his eyes are blue enough

Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #58
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

^I'll see if I can post some images from the special features so I can illustrate what I mean.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #59
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I don't have a problem if they make his eyes look bluer but they look plenty blue to me already.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #60
The Shield
It's really Happening!

No more contacts period. After SR I have nightmares. Lol can't we be happy that hid eyes are really blue?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #61
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Why is it ridiculous? It's not like they've never done it before.

Personally I don't care what they do with his eyes, but enhancing the colour is certainly a possibility, with contacts or with digital touch ups.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 06-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #62
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Thats not going to happen.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #63
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

i say HELL NO to contacts. they made Routh's eyes look unnatural and contacts in films are unconvincing to me simply because of the anatomy of an eye. if they need to enhance his eye color i wouldn't mind if they digitally alter or enhance it, but NO CONTACTS!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #64
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Damn...couldn't find my king kong dvd.

Quote:
Thats not going to happen.
Care to explain why?

Old 06-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #65
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Probably because he already has blue eyes?

Old 06-30-2011, 02:15 PM   #66
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharih View Post
I really wouldn't be surprised if they enhance them in post here and there (this is Zack Snyder we're talking about, remember). Nothing drastic....just something subtle to enhance the blue and make them almost otherworldly. Naomi Watts in King Kong is a really good example of what I mean.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:16 PM   #67
Rowsdower!
THIS GUY

I'm not concerned about his eyes.

But his ears had better be the right color or I'm boycotting this movie!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:21 PM   #68
Superman_20
Banned User

As long as the character has blue eyes, that is all that matters. I don't think the contact lenses are a big deal, or his natural eye color or hair color. I think his natural hair color will look fine on film as Superman.

The thing that should be talked about the most here is how big will he be for the film? How big do you realistically expect him to be? Do you want him to be leaner and more cut like what the Superman: Earth One design or the larger, more barrel chested Jim Lee Superman?

I think how big he will be is much bigger of an issue than how blue his eyes may be or if he will have his hair touched up.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 PM   #69
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Superman is pretty much drawn the same size as Batman, so....about Bale's build?

Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #70
Superman_20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Superman is pretty much drawn the same size as Batman, so....about Bale's build?
That was the size that Bale could get to I think. I think if they could have gone bigger in the first one they might have. I think with Cavill he has had time to train and he isn't starting after having to do something like what Bale did for Machinist. I expect Cavill to be bigger than Bale, and I expect him to be more cut than Bale was as well, especially considering how demanding Snyder is of his actors when it comes to their appearance.

In fact, since he has enough time to train to get big, but not enough time to train to where he could possibly get TOO big, I think Cavill should try to get as big as he possibly can while maintaining a single-digit body fat percentage.

Last edited by Superman_20; 06-30-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #71
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Actually Bale in Begins was the limit he could be. He was around 20 pounds overthe maximum weight and had to go on a diet before the film began filming and he just about made it. Hence why he seems so much smaller in The Dark Knight, that was the ideal weight.

So I expect a similarly sized Cavill.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM   #72
SatEL
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
Actually Bale in Begins was the limit he could be. He was around 20 pounds overthe maximum weight and had to go on a diet before the film began filming and he just about made it. Hence why he seems so much smaller in The Dark Knight, that was the ideal weight.

So I expect a similarly sized Cavill.
I donít think that was the ideal weight considering Bale and Nolan themselves have said he had to get big and muscular for BB, oh unless you think he was big and muscular in TDK....................because he wasnít.

Old 06-30-2011, 05:18 PM   #73
Superman_20
Banned User

He looked more defined in Dark Knight but he certainly didn't look big. In tights like Superman, he wouldn't look much bigger probably than Christopher Reeve did. In tights, he would have probably looked better how he was in Batman Begins, but Batman has to be able to fight and be more functional in a real world. I do not know many martial artists who are as big as Batman is supposed to be in the drawings who are also lightning fast. I couldn't picture a Willem Reeders or Willy Wetzel or Bruce Lee being 6'3" and 235 lbs no matter how explosive they may be.

But Superman doesn't have that problem. Superman does not need to have a fighter's body like an MMA guy or a Wing Chung master to be fast because he is Superman. He is faster than a bullet, how can he not be a fast fighter? Superman in my mind is supposed to be as big and defined as possible. If Cavill is 6'1", then I expect him to be around 220 lbs as well, like:

6'1", 223

6'0", 199

6'1", 215

6'1", 220

These guys are 6'1" and between 210" to 225" lbs. I wouldn't expect Cavill to be smaller or leaner. In fact, I'd sacrifice some definition in Cavill's case for some size since he isn't in armor. He has to fill the suit, not fit into the suit.

This video gives you an idea of how big Christopher Reeve looked. You can see what he looked like at around 2:30 and we all know what he looked like in the Superman suit in Superman: The Movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP1DrCM02H0&feature=related

I would really hope that Cavill will turn up to film between 210 to 225 lbs at a single digit body fat percentage.

Last edited by Superman_20; 06-30-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #74
SuperDaniel
Banned User

I dont want Superman to be that big...

Old 06-30-2011, 05:30 PM   #75
SuperDaniel
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post

Closed Thread