The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 05:05 AM   #101
unida

Default Re: OFFICIAL Dark of the Moon REVIEW THREAD

the red one was cool, sounded a little japanese or something? it was a ferrari and had two hook weapons on chains.

the car version got a ton of screen time, as did mercedes - emblem right on soundwaves chest, and cisco had stuff all over the joint.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 AM   #102
def28
Side-Kick

Did you notice the name of the red bot by any chance?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:40 AM   #103
marvelman2006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenknight1138 View Post
Just found out that my average local theater is having a 9PM screening tomorrow. I'm bouncing off the walls excited since they did a similar thing with the first one and it was a blast.

Did you by any chance catch who was credited as Shockwave? I heard that they were trying to get the person that Corey Burton based his Shockwave voice on.

No but I think its on imdb.com, but to be honest with ya he doesnt say much at all given he is advertised as the main villian and yet hes just some random decipticon in the move with a grand total of
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
20 minutes of screen time

Old 06-28-2011, 06:54 AM   #104
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode29 View Post
His SUPER 8 piece was one of the most spot-on critiques I read of that film. The stuff that worked allowed me to enjoy it more than him, but the alien elements and overall thematics were an utter mess.

Honestly, I don't have a horse in this TF3 race. I strongly disliked both previous entries so, obviously, I'm not expecting a whole lot to engage me in DotM.

I'm always up for surprises though...
I actually like Devin, a lot. But what he does has made him famous if not notorious. His piece on Super 8 was mostly right, but these feelings he harbors towards abrams don't seem to be coming from a neutral place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
It is a bad movie and I thought about as bad as Revenge of the Fallen. Why are you guys so eager for critics to like this one? I don't get it. Do you think it will validate your love for the movies as well as your anticipation for this film?
Actually no,myself, I'm interested in feedback of all sorts. Weather it be posters or critics, as you can imagine at the moment it's only critics...which means nothing but objectivity I'm sure. It's been about a year of following the production of this film, why would any of us not care what people have to say about it? And no like any transformers movie it should be clear at this point that we don't need anyone to tell us it's ok to enjoy it. Let's be honest, fans will go either way, it's the non fans that need critics to tell them what's what.

I am curious to see if the critics give it a score lower than the second, that would be quite the statement, especially if the audience responds well to the film. I like to read as many critical takes as possible so that when i see the film, and have a personal response to it, I know which critics to trust in the future.

I wonder if it will get lower the Green Lantern? It's already gotten lower than Fast Five, the one thought provoking character film of the summer

Last edited by Marvin; 06-28-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #105
marvelman2006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodman View Post
Yay! Is it as good as part 1?

I would say its as good as part 1 even maybe a bit better given the story and scale. Theres one scene in the movie that comes close to matching the hell yeah moment of the first when the autobots arrived to earth.

Positives:

- The Autobots have alot of scenes together with no humans cutting them off
- The idea of humans helping the decepticons was a nice touch and added a level of goals and gave sam something to do in the final battle.
- Optimus gets lots of badass moments again.
- The gay and toilet jokes have been incredibly cut down when compared to the second.
- The parents got less screen time which is a plus.
- The humor that was in the movie worked.
- The 3D was nicely done except for some shots with heavy action.
- The final battle is worth the price of admission alone

Negatives:

- Didnt like the idea of sam wanting to help the autobots but not join the army or him acting like he was entitled to just walk into government areas.
- The new girl was ok but you can clearly tell the writers had megan in mind when writing the story and there relationship came off forced.
- Why for the life of bay can he not pull the camera away from the fights so we can see what is going on?
- Still too many random autobots coming and going in the story, we never get introduced to mirage, the albert einstein looking autobot and wheelies friend, there just there along with the nascar autobots.
- I thought shockwave was the main villian? He had no impact on the story or any dialogue.
- Soundwave was in the story but didnt do anything and where the hell did barricade come from after all this time, only to disappear again?
- Megatron and starscream go out like punks.
- The ending was literally an abrupt ending and didnt have real closure like I thought it would.

Like I said last night though its a good summer movie given what we have had so far.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 AM   #106
Ipodman
Love Tension

Good to know! I'm not even gonna dare click the spoilers... reading spoilers took away a lot of surprises in the second movie!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:19 AM   #107
def28
Side-Kick

Michael Phillips review. 1.5 stars.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...6703160.column

Quote:
"Transformers: Dark of the Moon" exceeds the low expectations set by the previous outing, "Revenge of the Fallen," if only by a whisker. Both films serve primarily to make the first "Transformers" look like a classic. All three, taken together, which they should never be, appear designed to make your children more addled, volatile -- and, most dangerously, to make them less discerning consumers of summertime junk. Bay's hammering technique works, in a commercial sense. Executive producer Steven Spielberg is the richer for it. But it's telling to compare any good minute in Spielberg's "War of the Worlds," for example, with any of the 153 minutes in "Dark of the Moon." The former, which isn't even Spielberg at his best, offers the thrill and the uneasy, complicated spectacle of destruction you get from a first-rate entertainer. Bay's endless love of nastiness and chrome and aggression offers less. And that's the only "less" about it.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #108
Marvin
Side-Kick

An interesting excerpt from Quint aicn

Quote:
Is it bad of me to acknowledge these conveniences and plot holes and still enjoy the movie? I suppose I should be tougher on this movie, but from beginning to end it feels like everybody involved was just having fun and trying to give you a fun time. None of that Autobots ghost **** from the second movie with the Optimus death fake-out… this is a pretty straightforward war story told on an epic scale in the way only Michael Bay can do it.

One thing that Bay did that really impressed me was he threw in a crazy amount of bat**** weird characters, taking his casting of John Turturro in the first movie and multiplying it by four. Remember how Turturro seemed to be in another movie entirely in that first Transformers and how much fun that added to the experience? Now we have Ken Jeong, Alan Tudyk, Frances McDormand and John Malkovich on top of his bizarre character. All of them act like freaks, all of them play their parts like deranged inmates on PCP (with the exception of McDormand, who isn’t as nutso as the rest, but is still very odd in the film) and all of them make any scene not involving explosions, a million dollars worth of CGI or metal on metal robot fight scenes worth sitting through.
This could have just as easily contributed to a damning review. This very point is almost ruined the film from Knowles perspective.

It's a slippery slope a summer film slides.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #109
Nathan

Oh, awesome. I already hated Turturro in Transformers 1 and 2. Now we get more idiotic characters like that? Now I'm definitely out. Thanks Bay for making this easy, now I don't have to 2nd guess my decision.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:56 AM   #110
marvelman2006
Banned User

Its weird because tuturro was pretty tamed in this movie and played alittle more straight foward but there were atleast 3 other characters who all took what he did and ran with it in there own ways. The assistant to tuturro was funny as crap though.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #111
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

This movie better be better than the 2nd one!

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #112
def28
Side-Kick

Thats the one thing everyone is agreeing on.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #113
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
Thats the one thing everyone is agreeing on.
Don't be to sure, RT seems to be heading the other way on that.
As far as the majority of critics are concerned.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #114
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Don't be to sure, RT seems to be heading the other way on that.
As far as the majority of critics are concerned.
True, but even the negative reviews are saying its better then ROTF. I havnt seen one that said its just as bad.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #115
def28
Side-Kick

Joblo review 7/10
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/revi...rk-of-the-moon

Quote:
Good news TRANSFORMERS fans. After an absolutely putrid second entry, the TRANSFORMERS franchise is once again in it's (Optimus?) prime, with a slam-bang installment that lives up to the promise of the first film. Of course, being a film about giant robots beating the **** out of each other, you shouldn't go in expecting THE KING'S SPEECH. This is pure, turn-your-brain-off, munch some popcorn, enjoy the explosions- summer fun.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #116
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

Quote:
An interesting excerpt from Quint aicn

This could have just as easily contributed to a damning review. This very point is almost ruined the film from Knowles perspective.

It's a slippery slope a summer film slides.
i hated john tuturro in TF1... that crap was the highlight of my negatives for that movies...

theres 4 now!?1

Old 06-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #117
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
True, but even the negative reviews are saying its better then ROTF. I havnt seen one that said its just as bad.
well that's the benefit of having making a sequel to a film the critics call the "death of cinema." It would take a critic with the nuts the size of devastators to say this is worse. The closest they've come is many flaws remain...etc.

Still the way the RT chart works it very well could get a lower score.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:35 AM   #118
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Chris says the parents have little more than a cameo early in the film. Considering how much groaning I've heard about their presence in this film I wonder what's really going down.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #119
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

43% now. Top Critics are weighing in. It'll be lucky to finish somewhere near TF1's %.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:43 AM   #120
def28
Side-Kick

Quote:
well that's the benefit of having making a sequel to a film the critics call the "death of cinema." It would take a critic with the nuts the size of devastators to say this is worse. The closest they've come is many flaws remain...etc.

Still the way the RT chart works it very well could get a lower score.
Its looking that way hopefully it will get somewhere in between the two at the least.

A majority of these critics never enjoyed the franchise at all. Some of their complaints seem legit with the lame humor and zero character development but when they start saying things like "all this movie cares about is explosions, hot chick shots and carnage" its like what did they expect. Their still complaining about the same things as the first one and acting somewhat surprised that this is what the films about, Robots destroying eachother.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #121
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

It won't matter what its rating is. Obviously the franchise is criticproof.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #122
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
It won't matter what its rating is. Obviously the franchise is criticproof.
This is very true.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #123
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

This'll be just like Hangover Part II...or the last Transformers movie. I don't think this one will make more than RotF, but it's going to be huge...and despite the fact that a lot of people aren't expecting much, these films have become a bit of a spectacle now and people who enjoy crazy action adventure and fun won't pass this one up.

Old 06-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #124
PyroChamber
Chicka Chick-ahhhh

So I'm guessing that other than Optimus, Sentinel, and Megatron; none of the other Transformers have a lot of lines as usual.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #125
Greenknight1138

At this point, I'm just going to go into this with the same expectations I had for Pirates 4. A fun summer blockbuster. Those expectations made me enjoy Pirates 4, and it applies perfectly to this. This movie (and the first one) seems to have a problem of people going in to it with the wrong expectations. At least the average movie goer response from early screenings is more positive.

Closed Thread