The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #26
sethypants
Banned User

Default Re: how to get the non-fan / general public interested in MOS?

it seems like WB and DC has already starting to market for both superman and batman, over here in singapore (south east asia) we already got 2 giant sized figuring in the busiest shopping mall right outside a train station. It came with a commentary introducing superman and naming him the man of steel.

sounds to me like a really early marketing. IMO

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:02 PM   #27
GreenKToo
In the fire

really? you couldnt get a pic of that and post it here could you?

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #28
merced
Banned User

Unfortunately I don't think MOS will do gangbuster numbers. better than SR? Yes. But no way do I see it doing 275 or 300 million.

People aren't interested. Supes is a second tier chaacter - just like GL. WB has to be a bit worried about MOS after GL's performance.

There is a great articleabout comic book films on BOMojo and in their predictions for which will be huge hits in 2012 there don't mention MOS. it's all Batmn, Avengers and Spiderman.

merced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
bgshw44
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by merced View Post
Unfortunately I don't think MOS will do gangbuster numbers. better than SR? Yes. But no way do I see it doing 275 or 300 million.

People aren't interested. Supes is a second tier chaacter - just like GL. WB has to be a bit worried about MOS after GL's performance.

There is a great articleabout comic book films on BOMojo and in their predictions for which will be huge hits in 2012 there don't mention MOS. it's all Batmn, Avengers and Spiderman.
not true at all

Lets go WB make another superman movie!!
bgshw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #30
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

I think what they are doing is exactly the way to get the GA through the cinema doors.

Cast a bunch of brilliant, well recognised actors.

'Russell Crowe's in it? and Kevin Costner? Ohhh that sounds good!'

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #31
dark_b
Side-Kick

WB knows how to promote comicbook movies . they made some mistakes with Batman Begins but ok .

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #32
--Zero-Ethic--
Side-Kick

Quote:

People aren't interested. Supes is a second tier chaacter - just like GL.
That comment is genuinely mind-boggling.

--Zero-Ethic-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #33
merced
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Zero-Ethic-- View Post
That comment is genuinely mind-boggling.
Not at all. I am referring to movie franchises and using Mojo's cutoff of a mnimum 500 million WW box to be a top tier comic film franchise.

Read the article on this yeas staple of second tier comic franchises at BOMojo. It's spot on.

Using the 500 million figure only 3 franchises currently are top tier.

Batman, Spiderman and Ironman.

SR was not in their league and even STM adjusted for inflation barely squeaks by. At a little over 500 million.

But the top tier franchises are way above the 500 million benchmark. Batman's last outing made over a billion. Spiderman in the 800 millions and Ironman around 700 plus million.

GL, Thor, Superman, Hulk are all several hundred million dollars from these numbers. That makes them second tier franchises.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #34
--Zero-Ethic--
Side-Kick

Quote:
Not at all. I am referring to movie franchises and using Mojo's cutoff of a mnimum 500 million WW box to be a top tier comic film franchise.

Read the article on this yeas staple of second tier comic franchises at BOMojo. It's spot on.

Using the 500 million figure only 3 franchises currently are top tier.

Batman, Spiderman and Ironman.

SR was not in their league and even STM adjusted for inflation barely squeaks by. At a little over 500 million.

But the top tier franchises are way above the 500 million benchmark. Batman's last outing made over a billion. Spiderman in the 800 millions and Ironman around 700 plus million.

GL, Thor, Superman, Hulk are all several hundred million dollars from these numbers. That makes them second tier franchises.
Well you said he's a second tier character, that's not true in the slightest.
Film franchises are a different discussion altogether, and your info speaks for itself in that regard.

--Zero-Ethic-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 AM   #35
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
I think WB is pulling out all the stops for this one, and we won't be disappointed.

The first image of Superman and the first trailer are the most important.

They have a very marketable catch phrase, that though classic, has never been used by the WB as a marketing tool, that being Kneel before Zod.

They are going to put Nolan's name left and right on this.
I know some fanboys cry and moan that it is Snyder's flick and not Nolan's. This is true, but they are going to market it as Nolan's flick.
Go ahead and google Superman MoS and you will discover that it is being called Nolan's Superman movie, even though that is only partially true.

This is going to be a big hit.
IMO the only possible snag MOS can hit, besides screwing up the first pic and trailer, would be if somehow, DKR under performs.
DKR not doing awesome would, IMO reduce the public's interest in MOS.
So let's hope DKR is as big as DK!
no to line repeating.
MOS & DKR are 2 entities. it shouldn't have much an impact.

ya, i agree that the first pic of Cavill as superman is ulmost important, as well as the first teaser and trailer. and don't forget too the new theme song. it most be as powerful as william's.

mmm... do you think they should make blogs, giving glimpse and glimpse of the production? no exactly like what Singer did, showing us videos clips and interviews.... maybe just some words and production pics?

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!

Last edited by sf2; 06-26-2011 at 12:28 AM.
sf2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 AM   #36
sethypants
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenKToo View Post
really? you couldnt get a pic of that and post it here could you?
i didnt have a solo picture but i took tgt with it. lol.

Last edited by sethypants; 07-02-2011 at 01:09 AM.
sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:47 AM   #37
Frontier
Arkham Asylum Inmate

One key thing will be to hype it's background creative associations. David Goyer, Chris Nolan, Zack Snyder. Batman Begins, Dark Knight, Inception, 300.

"From Producer Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight, Inception) and Visionary Director Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen)"

Finding a way to declare this film as a restart/reboot/rebirth will also be a big helper.

You also know for certain a full trailer for such will be before DKR, pointing out Goyer, Nolan and Snyder all.

They really need to put as much distance between this film as Reeve, Routh, and Welling as possible. They need to put in flashing neon lights how this is totally new.

They're really going to try and tie this in with Nolan and the Bat franchise, because such is so well regarded at this point, and DKR will be out 6 months prior. Even though Nolan isn't much involved creative wise, so much as name wise, he's electric to box office at this point. Dark Knight gave the man serious power and pull; Incepetion bolted that power and pull in concrete and made him proven beyond established media.

Visuals will also be key. Snyder is known for such, visuals and well done fight scenes. And the Reeve films and Smallville all really lacked in that one way or another (Reeve by todays standards, Smallville by jipping us out of so many potentially awesome fights) and so showing that this film isn't going to do such will be a boost.

Last edited by Frontier; 06-26-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:53 AM   #38
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethypants View Post
Looks like a statue of Kyle Maclachlan dressed up like Superman.

Old 06-26-2011, 03:31 AM   #39
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethypants View Post
it's a SR statute. they normally put it in a DC store to sell t-shirt. it has nothing to do with MOS.

The superman returns comics strips were created during the production of the movie in 2005 we were longing a superman movie too long and we were basically going crazy of every bit of the leaked news and rumours. let's the fun returns!
Old 07-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #40
sf2
Side-Kick

all the release pics must be top-notch. must not look amateurish.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #41
Astrodust
Side-Kick

The trailers have to be good. Starting with the Superbowl spot. Also make a film that is fun and gets buzz.

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:38 AM   #42
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

1. Get a brilliant creative team on board - Nolan, Goyer, Snyder... Check
2. Cast a good looking, fairly experienced but not quite well known actor as Supes, with the ability to rise to the physical challenges of the role - Henry Cavill - Check

3. Surround him with names that are going to create buzz and give the film a high level of credibility - Crowe? Costner? Adams? Lane? Shannon? Meloni? - Check

And now the final stages yet to be seen.

4. Put out a recognisable but modernised suit that will look great on screen.
5. Yell from the rooftops of every possible building 'THIS IS A NEW MOVIE! NOTHING LIKE THE OLD ONE'S'
6. Produce a story that is so good, people will want to see the film based on the good word of mouth and positive reviews.

I think that should do it

Old 07-05-2011, 04:48 AM   #43
Lord
All Mighty

SMALLVILLE got non-fan/ general public interested

Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #44
hopefuldreamer
I'm a girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
SMALLVILLE got non-fan/ general public interested
Are you saying we should cast a load of young people with hot bodies in supporting roles? Throw in a hundred cameos and hints at other DC characters? Appeal to an audience of mostly teenage girls by having lois and clark stare lovingly into each others eyes while an indie bands soppy tune plays in the background?

I mean, I was one of those teenage girls when the show started, but I hardly think Smallville is a good example of how they should make this movie...

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #45
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
1. Get a brilliant creative team on board - Nolan, Goyer, Snyder... Check
2. Cast a good looking, fairly experienced but not quite well known actor as Supes, with the ability to rise to the physical challenges of the role - Henry Cavill - Check

3. Surround him with names that are going to create buzz and give the film a high level of credibility - Crowe? Costner? Adams? Lane? Shannon? Meloni? - Check

And now the final stages yet to be seen.

4. Put out a recognisable but modernised suit that will look great on screen.
5. Yell from the rooftops of every possible building 'THIS IS A NEW MOVIE! NOTHING LIKE THE OLD ONE'S'
6. Produce a story that is so good, people will want to see the film based on the good word of mouth and positive reviews.

I think that should do it
you forgot action! fights! superpowered villains. People forget that SR did have a decent box office despite it being marketed as basically a love story and all its weird publicity prior to its release. I think the superman name brings in a lot of nonfans already, but they need to show that this is an action movie first and its love story takes a back seat.

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 AM   #46
merced
Banned User

They need to emphasize this is a Superan film like you've never seen before and bolster that by releasing intense publicity shots and trailers when that time comes.

All PR material has to be spot-on perfect. No bashots allowed.

The thrust should be this is not your grandfather's Superman film, this is not your father's Superman film - his is your Superman film.

There need to be billboards and signs on buses with cool shots - SR had virtually no print publicity presence in my area which is a huge market.

Henry as Supes - intense and in your face.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #47
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Make a great trailer, it'll open fine. Make a great movie, and it'll make money. It's that simple.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #48
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Are you saying we should cast a load of young people with hot bodies in supporting roles? Throw in a hundred cameos and hints at other DC characters? Appeal to an audience of mostly teenage girls by having lois and clark stare lovingly into each others eyes while an indie bands soppy tune plays in the background?

I mean, I was one of those teenage girls when the show started, but I hardly think Smallville is a good example of how they should make this movie...
No, but i must say that the first seasons got a lot of non-comic book fans watching, not just girls (i didn't even know many girls that watched it), but i think since season 5 or something that some people didn't even know the show still existed, because then it was quite a big thing, now, not so much, even for the final season there weren't many still watching.

Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #49
Superfreak
Gramaton Cleric

I'd like to see a good physical PR campaign. Some ideas:

-hot air ballons designed like a world, or a daily planet globe, with a Superman effigy hanging below, appearing to be holding it up while flying.

-superman effigy attached to the back of subway trains, pushing it

I like both these ideas a lot. I think they'd be really fun. They could travel from city to city.

at the same time, the film itself has to get away from the goody two shoes superman. I know that superman is a goody two shoes, but there always comes a time in a good superman story, where he loses his cool. You know, like he's holding back because he's a good person at heart, but at some point he needs to cross the line. A failure I feel of all the superman movies after STM. They achieved this in STM, but what they did was stupid (turning the world around). I feel like movie makers have forgotten one of the key elements of superman is that as powerful as he is, or will become, that he cannot save everybody. As perfect as he is, he must fail...usually this centers around Lois, but it could be anything/anyone. He's got to lose, so that he can be unleashed.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #50
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

The only way I can think of getting the widespread GA interested in MOS is with a good story/solid film/strong performance that has good WOM, and that's it.

Superman fans will go see it.
Comic geeks will see it.
Children will see it.

But the average Joe? The stay at home mom? The middle aged married couples?

Its got to have the same "aura" to it that TDK did; that same magic that will make people tell their friends to go see it, that critics will recommend and praise, etc. The same captivation that will draw people to it, otherwise this will just be your run of the mill comic film that will make 2-300 million and be nothing special.

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote