The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #76
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Default Re: how to get the non-fan / general public interested in MOS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
I think you're overestimating the importance of the fanbase. I have the X-Men First Class example in mind when it comes to a recent film with great feedback from fans, impressive word of mouth but disappointing to average results at the B.O.
And even more win. I know it sucks to accept, fanboys, but you don't make or break a huge budget movie. That is and always will be your average joe and jill. Fanboys don't get to take credit for The Dark Knight being a huge hit. Come back out of fantasy land and rejoin the real world.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #77
Superfreak
Gramaton Cleric

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
And even more win. I know it sucks to accept, fanboys, but you don't make or break a huge budget movie. That is and always will be your average joe and jill. Fanboys don't get to take credit for The Dark Knight being a huge hit. Come back out of fantasy land and rejoin the real world.
I'm not saying that they make or break the money level. But they are going to be a large proportion of the audience who go to see the initial release of a movie. They are going to be the most vocal group on whether a movie sucks, or rules.

word of mouth has to start somewhere. It will be the fanboy that drags their non fan peers to a movie they are not quite attracted to, which begins a part of that process. The other part is critics, winning over trusted critics also gives a big push.

but as I said in my earlier posts, it's the story and the writer(s). It has to deliver what the audience wants, within the confines of what the property allows for. This starts with the fanbase, especially for an older property. Again, I mention trek, especially the shift between STTMP and STII (this shift I think worked to bring in a larger audience, STTMP was a little bit to much space opera, clearly toned down in STII), as well as the shift between STIII, with lows experience from STIV and V, but a better showing for VI (where a more grounded story helped for a good ending to a long franchise).

Last edited by Superfreak; 07-07-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Superfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 AM   #78
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
Why are you so fascinated by it? It's pretty straight forward...

What we are looking at is BOX OFFICE RECEIPTS, It's not unusual for a movie to perform its best in its first few weeks of release. But if you release a movie, like SR, that has any doubt or amount of mystery involved with it, followed by the sequel to one of the biggest family movies ever, its bound to get lost in there...

Imagine if Pirates 5 or Shrek 7 comes out a week later than Batman, do you think it will make a differance? F**k yeah it will, cause everybody will flock to see what is familiiar and what they love, not take a chance even if it seems okay...
Remember in the summer of 2007 when Spider-Man 3, Pirates 3 and Shrek 3 opened really close next to each other? It was like one after the other. And all three made a boat load of money. I don't think any of them made less than $300 million domestic. So really, several competing box office blockbusters can exist at the same time. Its just that the public has to be interested in them. Superman Returns had a week to get people interested in it. It failed. If people had wanted to see it, like in summer of 2007, people would have seen both.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #79
Rodrigo90
DafoeISJoker

How to get the publics interest?

IMO? Put Amy Adams on the cover of Playboy, or WB get her to pull a Blake Lively......that'll at least get me interested

I believe in Batfleck
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #80
Frodo
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=JKKS085;20803035

I think you're overestimating the importance of the fanbase. I have the X-Men First Class example in mind when it comes to a recent film with great feedback from fans, impressive word of mouth but disappointing to average results at the B.O.[/QUOTE]

In XFC case you had the fanboys railing against it while the critics and the GA liked it . However , as pointed out it was number 5 in a francise so in alot of cases you'll have diminshed returns. Not all the time of course, but usually part 5 of a series isn't gonna do as well as 2 or 3. However , I agree that fanboys don't make or break these films.

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #81
merced
Banned User

Both SR and X3 were seen as creative disappointments and had bad WOM.

SR ended p ar 200 million domestic while X-Men 3 at 244 million or so.

Both films had steep fall-offs.

But X-Men 3 is seen as a financial success and SR a financial disappointment.

The first weekend box made the diffference.

X-Men did 102 million on it's opening weekend, SR did 52 million.

Big, big difference.

Clearly there was no excitement for SR going into it's opening weekend but there was for 3.

X3 ended up at 456 WW and SR 391.

So even a poorly received film can be a fincial success if it kicks butt opening weekend.

Of course if a film kicks but opening weekend and has very good WOM the sky is the limit. Think Ironman.

Prior to SR's release there was a lot of bad buzz. In my area the advetising was minimal. At the end I've heard WB pulled back on advertising as they knew they hd a dud on their hands.

Not that SR would have done better with more advertising. GL was all over bus and subway stops here - far more than was SR - and it didn't help.

However Snyder and Nolan do it, they need massive crowds that first weekend for MOS to have hope of doing OK at the box office.

Last edited by merced; 07-08-2011 at 12:19 PM.
merced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #82
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alientraveller View Post
Most people I know weren't bothered to see it [SR].
This is an important observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merced View Post
The first weekend box made the diffference.

X-Men did 102 million on it's opening weekend, SR did 52 million.

Big, big difference.

Clearly there was no excitement for SR going into it's opening weekend but there was for X3.

X3 ended up at 456 WW and SR 391.

So even a poorly received film can be a financial success if it kicks butt opening weekend.
In terms of how some/many measure success, a strong opening weekend is obviously crucial. But to this threadís question, I think SRís fair-to-middling opening says less about SR and more about the baggage that the character carries.

SRís marketing was adequate, it opened very wide and had favorable/positive reviews. All the ingredients were there Ė apparently. Yet, as you say, it earned (only) a respectable but not impressive $53M. Forget about SR being crap or having bad word-of-mouth or getting swamped by Pirates 2. Thatís relevant with respect to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th weekend Ė but not the 1st. In comparison, Iron Man (who?) made $99M. Why the discrepancy? is the question.

On its opening weekend, MOS is going to have to convince people that itís something new/different.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #83
merced
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
In terms of how some/many measure success, a strong opening weekend is obviously crucial. But to this threadís question, I think SRís fair-to-middling opening says less about SR and more about the baggage that the character carries.

SRís marketing was adequate, it opened very wide and had favorable/positive reviews. All the ingredients were there Ė apparently. Yet, as you say, it earned (only) a respectable but not impressive $53M. Forget about SR being crap or having bad word-of-mouth or getting swamped by Pirates 2. Thatís relevant with respect to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th weekend Ė but not the 1st. In comparison, Iron Man (who?) made $99M. Why the discrepancy? is the question.

On its opening weekend, MOS is going to have to convince people that itís something new/different.
The problem for MOS is that the baggage is still there. Nothing has been done to change it.

Nolan and company have an uphill battle to turn this around. Even if it can be turned around.

As you say SR got mostly good reviews but folks were not interested.

This is why, IMO, publicity photos, posters and trailers have to be off the chart. If MOS puts out the kind of stuff SR did prior to it's release forget it.

Opening weekend is key but the schedule is a factor too. MOS's release date looks very dicey. Hopefully WB will move it up a month to November.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:32 PM   #84
Superfreak
Gramaton Cleric

Quote:
The problem for MOS is that the baggage is still there. Nothing has been done to change it.

Nolan and company have an uphill battle to turn this around. Even if it can be turned around.

As you say SR got mostly good reviews but folks were not interested.

This is why, IMO, publicity photos, posters and trailers have to be off the chart. If MOS puts out the kind of stuff SR did prior to it's release forget it.

Opening weekend is key but the schedule is a factor too. MOS's release date looks very dicey. Hopefully WB will move it up a month to November.
indeed, they must select an appropriate release date. SR was never going to be able to compete against what it was up against. Had it been released during a movie release dry spell, and there are a number each year, it would have faired better at the box office.

IMO, if they release it in the 'oscar movie' release area (ie. the heavier dramatic fare) I think a Superman movie will do well there. It's not going to win oscars/awards, but it will provide an alternative at the theatres to those movies. November (especially if they want to sell toys with it), or early January I think would fit nicely.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM   #85
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfreak View Post
November (especially if they want to sell toys with it), or early January I think would fit nicely.
January, but that's where the second-rate movies go to die! There's no better time than December. Plus, I think the only movie that could seriously threaten Superman is The Hobbit, and that's also WB's, and they wouldn't torpedo one of their own. I think Supes is pretty safe in December.

Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #86
merced
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
January, but that's where the second-rate movies go to die! There's no better time than December. Plus, I think the only movie that could seriously threaten Superman is The Hobbit, and that's also WB's, and they wouldn't torpedo one of their own. I think Supes is pretty safe in December.
Per the court WB has to have the film out by EOY 2012. So a Jauary release isn't going to happen.

I disagree about December. MOS needs to not take any chances and releasing it near the release of what promises to be one of the biggest films ever is taking a wreckless chance. IMHO.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #87
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Per the court WB has to have the film out by EOY 2012. So a January release isn't going to happen.
Not quite... According to Toberoff (in 2009, as quoted by Variety), "The Court pointedly ruled that if Warner Bros. does not start production on another Superman film by 2011, the Siegels will be able to sue to recover their damages..."

No mention of when the movie has to be released.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118005806?refCatId=13

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 PM   #88
GreenKToo
In the fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
Last I heard the trek sequel is supposed to be released that month as well.

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #89
Superman Prime
In All Conscience

Edit together a great trailer. Then distribute that trailer.

That's it.

Superman Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #90
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

been wondering myself latley if MOS might have the same crap numbers green lantern had.

fixxxer1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #91
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
been wondering myself latley if MOS might have the same crap numbers green lantern had.
for one just the title alone, still generates more money than GL, so i good trailer, plus great story, and great action, theres no reason it cant do better, if not way better than GL

Old 07-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #92
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
In XFC case you had the fanboys railing against it while the critics and the GA liked it . However , as pointed out it was number 5 in a francise so in alot of cases you'll have diminshed returns. Not all the time of course, but usually part 5 of a series isn't gonna do as well as 2 or 3. However , I agree that fanboys don't make or break these films.
Do what? The fanboys loved X-men: First Class.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #93
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Yep, the fanboys seem to like it more than the public actually. If the public loved First Class as much as the fanboys it would be having Super 8 style legs and it isn't.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #94
spider_rob
Banned User

Actually show Superman in the teasers and trailers. Have him talk. He's the main attraction.

People were teased with a Superman movie with Returns, and never got what they wanted.

spider_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #95
merced
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
for one just the title alone, still generates more money than GL, so i good trailer, plus great story, and great action, theres no reason it cant do better, if not way better than GL
I'm pretty sure it will do better than GL. That bar is very low.

I think, due to the cast, it will do a little better than SR. I'd guess 220 million - 230 million. As SR made more money in the US than overseas - as did Batman - I don't see MOS reaching the magic 500 million mark. Maybe 450 WW?

At this stage these are guesses but if MOS does 220 million US on a budget of 175 million it will probably be seen as a modest success.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #96
TheIncredibleSk
Hard hitting opinions.

I just don't see this film not doing at least 490M. Too many factors for it not too. Great Cast, Nolan's name, Superman,etc. All it needs is a good to great film and good marketing and this film will make dough.

TheIncredibleSk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #97
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

Has it been confirmed that we're definitely getting a totally new score for this film? Because I think that, far more than even Danny Elfman's Batman theme, the John Williams Superman film has become intrinsically linked with the character. It is one of the greatest themes of all time. Such is it's power that you could have a teaser trailer not making it immediately clear what the trailer is for, then you could just have that first bar play, and you could give anyone even remotely cinema-literate goosebumps.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Keyser Soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:35 PM   #98
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIncredibleSk View Post
I just don't see this film not doing at least 490M. Too many factors for it not too. Great Cast, Nolan's name, Superman,etc. All it needs is a good to great film and good marketing and this film will make dough.

just because nolan is attached doesn't gaurentee the success of the movie. that argument is old already.

fixxxer1022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:34 AM   #99
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
just because nolan is attached doesn't gaurentee the success of the movie. that argument is old already.
hes not saying thats the only reason why it will do well.....have some faith brother

Old 07-10-2011, 01:37 AM   #100
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it will do better than GL. That bar is very low.

I think, due to the cast, it will do a little better than SR. I'd guess 220 million - 230 million. As SR made more money in the US than overseas - as did Batman - I don't see MOS reaching the magic 500 million mark. Maybe 450 WW?

At this stage these are guesses but if MOS does 220 million US on a budget of 175 million it will probably be seen as a modest success.
thats what im saying ....we just need to give fixx a tall glass of optimisim.....