The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #151
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Default Re: Batman Forever - Part 1

I used to be able to enjoy this for the popcorn movie that it is. It's kind of hard now. Especially with the movie not aging well at all. And some Comic book movies have done better with being popcorn movies than BF have. But I still love Goldenthal's score and can't wait fo La La Land to release it in October. Definitely the highlight of BF, imo.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #152
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville

Too bad that they deleted these two scenes. I guess Schumacher was afraid that it would give some children nightmares.

The Arkham Asylum opener.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Bruce confronts his worst nightmare.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #153
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El 8 View Post
Batman Forever will always have special place in my heart. I still greatly enjoy the film despite Tommy lee Jones outrageous portrayal as Two-Face. The film is still an enjoyable film with a great score soundtrack IMO, Val looked great as Batman/Bruce Wayne much more than Keaton did, Chris was much better as Robin/Dick Grayson in this film than B&R, I loved the re-designed Batcave, Batmobile, Batwing and Batboat. Jim Carey was great as The Riddler and you could tell he was attempting to pay homage to Frank Gorshin in his portrayal of the character .

Nicole Kidman was super hot and sexy as Dr. Chase Meridian. The film itself is still darker than B&R, but it also more kid friendly due to the over the top dark atmosphere and grossness that was in Batman Returns particularly Tim burton's gothic version of The Penguin among other things . Still Batman Forever was a much more faithful version than B&R, Furthermore I noticed that because the lighting was darker in scenes featuring Batman (the accursed Bat-nipples on the batsuit in the first costume is not as noticeable as it is in B&R) The themes dealt in Batman Forever were Destiny, Duality, Revenge, Obsession , Partners etc..

I didn't mind the nipples much as seeing Batman's ass on the screen. I actually like Forever for what it is I prefer Kidman over Michelle P. Kidman was way hotter in the movie. Even thiough They had adult Robin I liked his origin and making Two-Face responsible for Dick's parents. Chris O'Donnell should ben Nightwing yoiu can't do that without explaining his past. Two-Face was forgotten and he was terrible Two-Face but that's TLJ's fault.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Old 06-29-2011, 01:55 PM   #154
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
I didn't mind the nipples much as seeing Batman's ass on the screen. I actually like Forever for what it is I prefer Kidman over Michelle P. Kidman was way hotter in the movie. Even thiough They had adult Robin I liked his origin and making Two-Face responsible for Dick's parents. Chris O'Donnell should ben Nightwing yoiu can't do that without explaining his past. Two-Face was forgotten and he was terrible Two-Face but that's TLJ's fault.
That's not true. I still believe Tommy Lee Jones was a great choice but it's not his fault that the character sucked. All what Jones did was play the type of character that Schumacher wanted for his film.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #155
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Meddle View Post
That's not true. I still believe Tommy Lee Jones was a great choice but it's not his fault that the character sucked. All what Jones did was play the type of character that Schumacher wanted for his film.
Oh no I forgotten to add "not". I blame the writer & the director here. TLJ is a great actor he's one of my favourite actor.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #156
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
Oh no I forgotten to add "not". I blame the writer & the director here. TLJ is a great actor he's one of my favourite actor.
Ah okay lol. No worries.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #157
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Jim Carrey's Riddler was THE saving grace of this movie.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #158
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

TLJ is a great actor and I don't blame him one bit for his portrayal as Two-Face, he did the best he could with the material given too him . I blame the writers . If Two-Face was written similar to how he was in BTAS I believe TLJ would've done true justice to the role.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #159
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El 8 View Post
TLJ is a great actor and I don't blame him one bit for his portrayal as Two-Face, he did the best he could with the material given too him . I blame the writers . If Two-Face was written similar to how he was in BTAS I believe TLJ would've done true justice to the role.
This.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #160
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

IMO Batman Forever gave us one of the most memorable pop music video soundtracks U2's Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #161
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville

Smash It Up by the Offspring is another great song. Grayson looked like a badass driving the Batmobile with that song playing in the background.

The song picks up at about the 50 second mark.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #162
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I mean... I was 5 when this movie came out and it was the first Batman movie/fever I got to really experience.

I still remember standing in line to see it. Nostalgia will never allow me to hate or dismiss it.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #163
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
I don't think it's under rated... so much as now simply over shadowed.

It did GREAT business at the box office and got pretty moderate reviews at the time. Nowadays fans generally recognise it as a decent film that got a lot right and alot wrong.

Its Batman circa 1995... It has it's place in bat-history but unfortunately is tainted by its sequel.
I think it's the only movie to ever be punished by fans for its follow-up.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #164
thebatandthecat
Side-Kick

This was the first Batman movie that I saw at the theater! I will always remember that & I still have all four of the "glass" mugs from McDonalds and I love those. There are parts of this movie that I think are really great and parts that are terrible...however the worst part of this movie isn't as bad as the best part of B&R! I think if they toned down the florescent Gotham & glow-in-the-dark gangs & revamped Two-Face then it could have been a really great movie! I don't think I even noticed the Bat-Niples as a kid. I think they did a great job with Bruce being haunted by the memories of his past, Riddler was a great character & I always enjoyed him using his computer to develop his alter ego! Plus I love the "How's my mole?" line! I also thought Chris O'Donnell was a great Robin...he could have been a bit younger but still I think his age made more sense in a real life senario. Over all its a fun movie but not an edge of your seat Burton/Nolan Batman.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #165
ALP
In The Mountains

I really like this movie. Even the neon statue filled Gotham was decent, some of the shots of Schumacher's Gotham I love. The problem is that Schumacher amplified all the bad parts when he made the sequel. But Kilmer was great and I really liked the suit. Joel was also the first to give us Wayne Enterprise and what is still the best screen portrayal of Arkham asylum. I also liked(but not loved) the batmobile and Chase Meridian was decent. And Jim Carrey was terrific even if his riddles matched up to very little meaning... just telling us his name, meh. While I love Robin, I thought Chris O'Donnell was too old. Bruce Wayne did not need to adopt a grown man. But Tommy Lee Jones was definitely the worst part of this movie which is so strange because he is arguably the best actor featured in this movie. He plays it serious in every single film I can think of except this one. Even in a comedy like Men In Black he plays the straight man who refuses to even crack a smile. But here he acts like a bumbling buffoon. Had he played it serious it would have made for an overall better film and he would have been a great foil to the goofy Riddler.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
Old 07-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #166
Victarion
Cut

I think that if you took away the neon, his Gothan wouldn't look too bad. But, wouldn't you expect a city rife with corruption to look more glitzy than somber?

Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #167
thebatandthecat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
But Tommy Lee Jones was definitely the worst part of this movie which is so strange because he is arguably the best actor featured in this movie. He plays it serious in every single film I can think of except this one. Even in a comedy like Men In Black he plays the straight man who refuses to even crack a smile. But here he acts like a bumbling buffoon. Had he played it serious it would have made for an overall better film and he would have been a great foil to the goofy Riddler.
He is much better once we get to the climax of the film...I thought his scenes with Robin on the "holy rusted metal" flying rock were great and his last few scenes with Batman were pretty good too....otherwise he was a waste! However he probably would have made a great Joker! haha

Old 07-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #168
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
And that is exactly why he is to blame.

He had won an Oscar, he could - and should - have said, excuse me but if you're making me act like a unfunny clown, then I'll have to quit. I mean, Keaton didn't have Jones status and he walked before doing something unworthy.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #169
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

O'Donnel looked amazing in the Robin suit, the shot of him on the rocks with his cape billowing in the wind is fricking priceless, one of my favorite shots and images from the whole film.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #170
thebatandthecat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
O'Donnel looked amazing in the Robin suit, the shot of him on the rocks with his cape billowing in the wind is fricking priceless, one of my favorite shots and images from the whole film.
Agreed!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:53 PM   #171
ALP
In The Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
I think that if you took away the neon, his Gothan wouldn't look too bad. But, wouldn't you expect a city rife with corruption to look more glitzy than somber?
Yep, it was like a souped up Vegas.

I kinda like the Gotham in BF, or at least parts of it. It was just too much in B&R, Schumacher amplified all the bad things about it.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
Old 07-16-2011, 08:07 PM   #172
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
And that is exactly why he is to blame.

He had won an Oscar, he could - and should - have said, excuse me but if you're making me act like a unfunny clown, then I'll have to quit. I mean, Keaton didn't have Jones status and he walked before doing something unworthy.
Do you think Two Face could've been a great villain if Schumacher had someone else play the role?

Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #173
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Do you think Two Face could've been a great villain if Schumacher had someone else play the role?
Ruining Two-Face was a team effort. I said Jones was to blame but not only Jones.

Now, I've heard of actors - Edward Norton comes to mind - that refuse to do things unless there's some improvement over the script. I think Jonmes was in position of having asked more than pure cackling. When he's with the Riddler the situation for Jones as an actor is embarassing. I'm sure Riddler on paper was also destined to be another cackling clown, but Jim Carrey brought some other elements.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #174
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Chris O' Donnell did look good in the suit. I just wish the script would have been better.

As far as Two-Face goes, he was a disgrace.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #175
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville

I don't know about that. Usually I blame the person that's in charge rather than the one that's taking orders. Even if someone else played the role, Two Face would've been just as bad not because of the actor but because of Schumacher's approach. Either way I'm sure we both can agree that the character was lousy in this movie.