Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #101
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
The suit only works there because of Lee's overly-shadowed, scratchy rendering. As seen before, cleaner artists like Perez make it look stupid. Which is the fault of the design.

For that same reason, the suit would never work in live action.
Wait...what? That makes absolutely no sense. How the hell do you use Perez's illustration as an example of how the suit will work in live action?

Besides, Perez clearly misunderstood what Lee was going for and he needs to rethink how he's illustrating the new suit.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #102
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
It's just the original costume with some lines on it, no red trunks and a belt that looks even more naff than the old one. Exactly what advantages does it have in live action?
It'd look more modern and still recognizable. It'd have more to watch instead of just plain blue. And it would look convincing as a superhero, a Kryptonian one on Earth instead of an acrobat with superpowers. And no, this Kriptonian-looking belt makes more sense than the generic yellow one.

Now I could go and give a poor description about everything: The original costume? Just some blue leotards with red trunks, red socks and a cape.

Quote:
If anything, it has an even harder time looking good because all the flaws of the original remain, without the familiarity of the original to support it. It just takes the trunks away and replaces them with a gaudy belt which will serve nothing but to make us stare at his now bare crotch even more.
I'm not sure why do you look at there, but it has every recognizable element of the original and get rid of the trunks. I could live with the trunks, Superman can do that, but they're not the most serious element in a superhero suit ever.

The only thing I hate about it is the symbol.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #103
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I'm not sure why do you look at there,
Me either....I actually think it works even better than the trunks at breaking up the suit because the lack of yellow on the belt draws your eye more towards the shield....which is a good thing in my opinion.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #104
camp Blood
For your health!

yes the symbol really is bad

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #105
The Red Hood
Banned User

In no media version of Superman, or even in the comics themselves, has the true \S/ shield been consistently used. It has aggravated me for years and I really hope the symbol will finally be utilized:

Old 06-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #106
camp Blood
For your health!

my movie logo, i made the yellow textured for that "modern" look but the red for me should be flat and with minimal depth

i kept my yellow pinstripe to make the logo pop

to me that logo with the multi texture under suit is the perfect updated yet classic look for superman

Last edited by camp Blood; 06-28-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #107
JBElliott
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Superman's new armored costume looks silly and will be dated in a few years. The lack of trunks, high collar and all the extra lines or seams or armor plating or whatever looks bad. The classic costume is much better than this.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #108
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Superman would look way less impressive stopping bullets and beating up bad guys covered in armor.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #109
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
Superman's new armored costume looks silly and will be dated in a few years. The lack of trunks, high collar and all the extra lines or seams or armor plating or whatever looks bad. The classic costume is much better than this.
Yup. One of the more profound things said about the new uniform. It will look dated, heck it looks dated and of a certain era (this era) already.

Reminds me of the pouches and belts thing of the 90's or the tights with the hair sticking out at the top of the head.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #110
moviedoors
Side-Kick

I'm still not seeing this "armor" everyone's making a big deal about. Seam lines, sure, but I don't see armor.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #111
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

^The kneepads are what give it that impression more than anything else.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #112
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

yeah.......it makes him look like an action figure ( where you can see all the joints )......

Old 06-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #113
Sabaoth
Master

I'll buy the action figure when it comes out.
The new Superman costume is awesome!

Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #114
afan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
I'm still not seeing this "armor" everyone's making a big deal about. Seam lines, sure, but I don't see armor.
Batman has pretty much the same "seam lines"; what do you see those as representing on Batman's suit?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #115
STC
Side-Kick

I don't understand the hate for the new costume. Its a costume change, so what? Hes still Superman. Show this pic to non comic book fans and they'll still know its Superman.

I keep reading all these complaints like the new belt sucks, looks like a go-go dancerm and point out his junk. Go-Go dancer? C'mon the red trunk/underwear is more go-go dancer then the belt. Speaking of trunks, also don't you think red underwear points out his junk more?

Superman doesn't wear armor. Who said it was armor. Looks like seams to me.

Collar. Seriously, who cares its a collar.

Personally I love the new Superman costume. I dont consider it being updated, or modified, or anything like that. I see it as a new suit. Plain and simple.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #116
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
It's dated right now actually. Seams=dated, armored boots=dated, collar=dated. Classic costume=timeless.

But this all really goes back to the lawsuit and 70+ years of DC exploiting Siegel and Shuster. DC/WB had their chances to give them the fair, Bob Kane level deal that they deserved, and they failed to take it. What DC being a bunch of cheap bastards has resulted in is an armored Superman who looks like a reject from Image Comics, designed by an overrated hack.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #117
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
I'm gonna reserve mine too sir. I like it now that the new suit has been touched up from the first pics. I'm at 30 year fan and one who loves the classic but if this is what we're getting I can get on board with it. It's easy to hate something with the majority than like something in the minority. Visually this is cool. I want so bad for this not to be armor so I can see how the tide changes. What if.... What if its not armor?? What if its a kryptonian fabric? (Someone just can't wait to be negative right now) These boards full of pessimism and its contagious. What I laugh at is the some of the same people who think that this new picture of the suit looks ridiculous or stupid or some other diminishing adjective are same ones who in real life can't dress themselves or get complements one their own wardrobe. Everyone is always saying "all they have to do is get the classic custom in new materials" but no one ever says what those materials should be besides "Spiderman's suit". I have come to accept that the trunks have to be gone for there to be a chance for a more modern 2011-2041, or however long into the future, costume to work. I'm old fashioned but the red trunks (hurts to admit) have to go. Cotton suit has to go. Smooth body suit has to go. I for one am not going to throw a tantrum over this. We've had it for a really long time and those were good times but its time to move on. It's time the comics made a change and this is a good one without loosing him completely. And this change would look very good on film and I think would attract new fans that would normally not give Shoes the time of day because he looks lame and old fashioned and boring. Our old Supes is all those things to the younger gen. When Superman is brought up on tv in a cool way its to describe someone's athletic prowess or some heroic at. When he's brought up for puns or one liners for comic relief

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 06-28-2011, 02:31 PM   #118
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shield View Post
I'm gonna reserve mine too sir. I like it now that the new suit has been touched up from the first pics. I'm at 30 year fan and one who loves the classic but if this is what we're getting I can get on board with it. It's easy to hate something with the majority than like something in the minority. Visually this is cool. I want so bad for this not to be armor so I can see how the tide changes. What if.... What if its not armor?? What if its a kryptonian fabric? (Someone just can't wait to be negative right now) These boards full of pessimism and its contagious. What I laugh at is the some of the same people who think that this new picture of the suit looks ridiculous or stupid or some other diminishing adjective are same ones who in real life can't dress themselves or get complements one their own wardrobe. Everyone is always saying "all they have to do is get the classic custom in new materials" but no one ever says what those materials should be besides "Spiderman's suit". I have come to accept that the trunks have to be gone for there to be a chance for a more modern 2011-2041, or however long into the future, costume to work. I'm old fashioned but the red trunks (hurts to admit) have to go. Cotton suit has to go. Smooth body suit has to go. I for one am not going to throw a tantrum over this. We've had it for a really long time and those were good times but its time to move on. It's time the comics made a change and this is a good one without loosing him completely. And this change would look very good on film and I think would attract new fans that would normally not give Shoes the time of day because he looks lame and old fashioned and boring. Our old Supes is all those things to the younger gen. When Superman is brought up on tv in a cool way its to describe someone's athletic prowess or some heroic at. When he's brought up for puns or one liners for comic relief
I disagree, I feel Superman's failures over the last 25 years have been mostly because they went away from what made people connect with Superman in the first place. But I think the character is pretty much dead now, this new armor being the final nail in the coffin.

It's all train wreck rubbernecking at this point for me. I just want to see how hard they fail.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #119
camp Blood
For your health!

Burn!

Old 06-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #120
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Superman's new armored costume looks silly and will be dated in a few years.
You know what's ridiculous about this statement? The original costume is dated. Its based on musclemen of the time. The red underwear look is based on a 1940's strongman. So please, tell me how dated is okay so long as its dated on something from the 40's.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #121
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
It's all train wreck rubbernecking at this point for me. I just want to see how hard they fail.
What in inspiration Superman must have been to you. Taking glee in someone's potential failure. Sure is a Superman thing to do.

Here's a fun question. What if the reboot doesn't fail? What if the new movie of Superman is pure post-Crisis revelry, with an alive Ma and Pa Kent and businessman Lex and the armored look? What if it is everything you hate about modern Superman...and it does well? What would you say then? Would you take back all of your whining then? Would you just stop? I really want to know. You seem so sure that this will be a train wreck and I'm curious as to what you will do if it isn't.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #122
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

edit

Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #123
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
I'm gonna reserve mine too sir. I like it now that the new suit has been touched up from the first pics. I'm at 30 year fan and one who loves the classic but if this is what we're getting I can get on board with it. It's easy to hate something with the majority than like something in the minority. Visually this is cool. I want so bad for this not to be armor so I can see how the tide changes. What if.... What if its not armor?? What if its a kryptonian fabric? (Someone just can't wait to be negative right now) These boards full of pessimism and its contagious. What I laugh at is the some of the same people who think that this new picture of the suit looks ridiculous or stupid or some other diminishing adjective are same ones who in real life can't dress themselves or get complements one their own wardrobe. Everyone is always saying "all they have to do is get the classic custom in new materials" but no one ever says what those materials should be besides "Spiderman's suit". I have come to accept that the trunks have to be gone for there to be a chance for a more modern 2011-2041, or however long into the future, costume to work. I'm old fashioned but the red trunks (hurts to admit) have to go. Cotton suit has to go. Smooth body suit has to go. I for one am not going to throw a tantrum over this. We've had it for a really long time and those were good times but its time to move on. It's time the comics made a change and this is a good one without loosing him completely. And this change would look very good on film and I think would attract new fans that would normally not give Shoes the time of day because he looks lame and old fashioned and boring. Our old Supes is all those things to the younger gen. When Superman is brought up on tv in a cool way its to describe someone's athletic prowess or some heroic at. When he's brought up for puns or one liners for comic relief its someone in the suit (the classic suit) or referencing "the underwear on the outside". I'm sick of it. I want it to be coolest thing to be proud to be a fan and not have people give the embarrassing smile when they reveal their fandom or on the defensive reading for some teasing on their behalf. Whether you guys agree with me or not doesn't matter. I just had to get that out.

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 06-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #124
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
You know what's ridiculous about this statement? The original costume is dated. Its based on musclemen of the time. The red underwear look is based on a 1940's strongman. So please, tell me how dated is okay so long as its dated on something from the 40's.
New armor costume=dated, classic costume=timeless.

Timeless VS Dated.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #125
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
What in inspiration Superman must have been to you. Taking glee in someone's potential failure. Sure is a Superman thing to do.

Here's a fun question. What if the reboot doesn't fail? What if the new movie of Superman is pure post-Crisis revelry, with an alive Ma and Pa Kent and businessman Lex and the armored look? What if it is everything you hate about modern Superman...and it does well? What would you say then? Would you take back all of your whining then? Would you just stop? I really want to know. You seem so sure that this will be a train wreck and I'm curious as to what you will do if it isn't.
I expect it be neither Pre- nor Post-Crisis, but instead this new litigated character to be honest.

Closed Thread