The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > G.I. Joe > G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 10:01 PM   #26
Duke
Knowin is half the battle
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The PIT
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Scribe View Post
He is black dude. His dad was Rocky Johnson, google em.



edit


Last edited by Duke; 07-31-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #27
Duke
Knowin is half the battle
 
Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The PIT
Posts: 13,929
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Scribe View Post
He is black dude. His dad was Rocky Johnson, google em.



I've got nothing wrong with Dwayne Johnson & would actually have him cast as another character or even as Alpine, but as Roadblock is just miscast.

Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #28
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters
 
RedSkull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Groveling at Nolan's feet
Posts: 1,859
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

He looks absolutely badass in that pic. The Rock is going to be great in this movie. After seeing him in Fast Five this is a perfect role for him.

__________________
Testimonials
I'm listening to Time and imagining it playing with the TDKR ending. I'm crying like a baby right now.
We are embarking on the greatest movie to have ever come into existence
I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 PM   #29
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung
 
Colossal Spoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: A bar on Oa
Posts: 62,135
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Good casting!

__________________
Once you get over the need to prove everybody wrong and "correct" opinions you disagree with, the internet becomes a much more pleasant and less frustrating place.
Colossal Spoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #30
4jsis4
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 41
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

When I heard that the Rock would be a Joe, I was seriously like jumping all over the place. It's seriously gonna be epic. I have faith

4jsis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #31
Diamondhead
Banned User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 1,489
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by grand-I-am View Post
Basically!
The president of the U.S. is half white yet people still say he's Black...
Basically all black people living in america or even elsewhere like the caribbean has some drop of "white blood" in their veins
even lots of white folks has black blood in them too after all we are all from the same familly that lives in africa thousands of years ago.

according to a survey that was made some times ago
lots of black people dissapears from the lanscape of America because they are so light skin that they decided not to be associated with "being african american" anymore in "the governments files"!

Anyways there is a big secret that most people don't know.. yet!
we as human being we can change our appearance just by thinking about it
it's like being a metamorph (but not to the extreme though)
we do it a akid in a very long process call growing up
because some of us end up looking a little bit like some character we used to idolize
like, i notice i look like some superhero character i made up and i used to draw when i was a kid.

every one of us has all the"races" in our gene
we can extract the one we need but it'll takes lots of will to do that
(otherwise you can do it artificially by using some product or cosmetic surgery)
anyways I have changed my apparence a few time through the sheer forces of my will
some people would recognize me but at the same time they'd tell me that you're not the same person !..how come?
I would simply smile at them.

A few years ago I was following a course an one guy in my classroom noticed that i wasn't the same person that first came in a few months ago
I told him that the way I was
some people would change eyes color ,as for me..! it would my whole face.

and my physique is easy, since i've been into bodybuilding since i was 13
i can easily lose or gain 30 pounds in just a matter of one month.

one day I made myself young enough for my little nephew to notice and say hey..! you have become so young .and other kids around the blocks notices that i didn't don't look the same as well.
even when i was a tennager I slightly change my apparence enough for my father to notice and would'nt stop yapping about it all day long
trying to figure out how i did it.

but it takes lots of energy and when i'm exausted I reverse back the way I was in about less than a week.

Diamondhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:23 AM   #32
CEREBRAL....
Agent in action!
 
CEREBRAL....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 489
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
but as Roadblock is just miscast.

Roadblock is miscast BUT his name attached to this is what this franchise needs, and looking at the pick he looks nothing like roadblock, just the rock playing in another movie..but i'm ok with it..i'm glad he is in it, and i'm glad he is playing roadblock he will do the part justice (at least give an effort to)

CEREBRAL.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #33
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 44,805
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

And here I always thought Roadblock is a black dude. =/

__________________
Pomp and Circumstance【Mikasa & Annie】
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #34
Wolfwood
Shasta McNasty
 
Wolfwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 12,343
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

He looks fantastic, hopefully that's the outfit he wears throughout the movie and doesn't switch to some generic black leather get up.

__________________

Henchman for Shadaloo
AVATAR BY AxlsAppetite
Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #35
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,327
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
And here I always thought Roadblock is a black dude. =/
Dwayne Johnson is black. Well, half black. His father, former wrestler, Rocky Johnson, is black and his monther, Ata Maivia, is Samoan..

I guess you wanted someonw who is, more black?

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #36
Crockett
With Teeth
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dorne
Posts: 5,949
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwood View Post
He looks fantastic, hopefully that's the outfit he wears throughout the movie and doesn't switch to some generic black leather get up.
I hope for that too, also I don't want none of that stupid and goofy looking accelerator suits appear in this again. Cool pic by the way.

__________________
The stuff that dreams are made of.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #37
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,441
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Terry Crews is a better pick but who cares? They will just butcher the source material anyway.

MessiahDecoy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #38
CEREBRAL....
Agent in action!
 
CEREBRAL....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 489
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Terry Crews is a better pick but who cares? They will just butcher the source material anyway.

cooooosign!!!! I didnt even think of that, Terry Crews would have been prefect! But like you said you know hollywood knows nothing of what they are doing...well i shouldnt say hollywood, a lot of these studios dont know what they are doing.

CEREBRAL.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 AM   #39
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 44,805
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Dwayne Johnson is black. Well, half black. His father, former wrestler, Rocky Johnson, is black and his monther, Ata Maivia, is Samoan..

I guess you wanted someonw who is, more black?
I wanted someone that looks the part more. He looks more Samoan than black. The last thing I think of when I seem him is that he's a black guy. I mean, I wouldn't cast myself in the role of an asian, sure, my mom's Thai, my dad is from germany though. People guess all kinds of ethnicities when they try to think of what race I belong to, but Thai is pretty much dead last.

Rock as Roadblock is the same thing for me.

__________________
Pomp and Circumstance【Mikasa & Annie】
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #40
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User
 
Kane52630's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Skynet
Posts: 65,901
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

at some of these posts.










I think that should end the "The Rock doesn't look like Roadblock."

__________________
Short Changed Hero
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #41
Parker Wayne
I have an army, of Batmen
 
Parker Wayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 22,702
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Lantern View Post
Once again another miscast. Dwayne Johnson is a good actor & I enjoy his movies BUT, he's not African-American & I don't think he can play Roadblock. They probably will also change his personality & the ryhmes will be left out.
Wrong. He's half black and half Samoan. Do some research next time you say something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Lantern View Post
I've got nothing wrong with Dwayne Johnson & would actually have him cast as another character or even as Alpine, but as Roadblock is just miscast.
Wrong again.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
Spielberg wanted to ground the myth of Lincoln in reality. "I wanted to say, what if this guy actually existed? What would it be like?"


Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #42
Metallo
Evil Dead Re-Animator
 
Metallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,815
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
at some of these posts.










I think that should end the "The Rock doesn't look like Roadblock."
He looks kind of like Roadblock...if you mean big bald and black. But their are people that could have fit better.

The Resolute pic was the worst one you could have chosen because he was portrayed as a MONSTER of a man in that both in terms of his size and his demeanor. far more hard edged than the Roadblock of the Sunbow cartoon or the Marvel comic.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Wrong again.
He fits pretty well if you squint but they could have done better. Its not spot on casting. But then these movies didn't give a damn about making inspired casting from the word go. If they did Channing Tatum wouldn't be Duke.

Other members of the movie casts were better fits than Johnson is for Roadblock. Park was a great choice for Snake Eyes but the character was never taken to his full potential.

Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #43
Nathan
...
 
Nathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 44,805
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Damn, Tatum is still Duke? =/

__________________
Pomp and Circumstance【Mikasa & Annie】
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #44
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Terry Crews is a better pick but who cares? They will just butcher the source material anyway.
that and Terry is committed to The Expendables....don't let facts get in the way here though

and The Expendables is probably a better paying and more high profile project to be attached to

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #45
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

and before people drag out the ol "they're butchering the source material' excuse....anyone remember the direct to video GI Joe things from a few years ago, the ones that Hasbro directly produced....well here's what happened in one of those...Valor Vs. Venom....General Hawk gets kidnapped and turned into some sort of snake hybrid thing and do you all know how GI Joe saves the day? with ****ing paintball guns....YES...paintball guns and some kids they were playing with on a playground earlier in the movie

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #46
Metallo
Evil Dead Re-Animator
 
Metallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,815
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
and before people drag out the ol "they're butchering the source material' excuse....anyone remember the direct to video GI Joe things from a few years ago, the ones that Hasbro directly produced....well here's what happened in one of those...Valor Vs. Venom....General Hawk gets kidnapped and turned into some sort of snake hybrid thing and do you all know how GI Joe saves the day? with ****ing paintball guns....YES...paintball guns and some kids they were playing with on a playground earlier in the movie

You obviously never saw the direct to dvd movie they did AFTER that: Resolute...which was ten times more awesome than either live action movie. Yes I'll say it before GI Joe 2 is even out. Resolute was that good. Faithful yet it took GI Joe into the 21st century at the same time.

I don't think a fan can ask for anything more than that. But at the same time it was far more serious than Joe usually is and I can appreciate The movies being made for kids. The franchise IS primarily for kids and they should have something they like. But then again I WAS a kid when I read the Marvel comic and it got pretty serious and I loved it. I loved it for not talking down to me.

I was about 7 or 8 when DIC did the goofy PC version GI Joe and I thought it sucked a**.


Last edited by Metallo; 08-23-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #47
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallo View Post
You obviously never saw the direct to dvd movie they did AFTER that: Resolute...which was ten times more awesome than either live action movie. Yes I'll say it before GI Joe 2 is even out. Resolute was that good. Faithful yet it took GI Joe into the 21st century at the same time.

I don't think a fan can ask for anything more than that. But at the same time it was far more serious than Joe usually is and I can appreciate The movies being made for kids. The franchise IS primarily for kids and they should have something they like. But then again I WAS a kid when I read the Marvel comic and it got pretty serious and I loved it. I loved it for not talking down to me.

I was about 7 or 8 when DIC did the goofy PC version GI Joe and I thought it sucked a**.
I did see it, even own it on DVD...my point was that the source material is varied, good and bad not just what YOU may prefer

5 different animated series, a number of DTVs, and the comics is the source material....and Hasbro/Paramount is trying to "fix" what went wrong with the first film....what more do you want? someone on bended knee begging for forgiveness?

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #48
Metallo
Evil Dead Re-Animator
 
Metallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,815
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLantern View Post
I did see it, even own it on DVD...my point was that the source material is varied, good and bad not just what YOU may prefer

5 different animated series, a number of DTVs, and the comics is the source material....and Hasbro/Paramount is trying to "fix" what went wrong with the first film....what more do you want? someone on bended knee begging for forgiveness?
See thats where your way off base about me. I didn't care about variation or following ANY continuity to the letter because quite frankly there are so many. Its not about what I would have PREFERRED because I was open to any NUMBER of directions they could have taken the movie in because the franchise has GONE in a lot of different directions. Even if they had done the original 60's joe I wouldn't have cared because its valid. sh** I would have watched a GIJoe Extreme movie if it was good.

And you use that crappy Valor vs Venom movie as an example and ignore Resolute. That only paints an incomplete picture of as far as the point you were making.

I didn't care that the first movie was light hearted because the Sunbow cartoon was light hearted. The problem with the first movie was was a quality one.

And what do you see about them "fixing" the problems with the first movie? So far it seems like the subtitle of the first movie was a bait and switch. Even if we get Cobra its not going to be the Cobra introduced in the first film.

Tatums STILL Duke. The kept the one guy they should have sh**canned and got rid of most of the people that did a decent job just because they want those tween girls out there soaking wet to see that block of wood Tatum. How is that "fixing" the first movie's problems?

You aren't going to see a whole hell of a lot of variation from the first film because they have a vision they want to push. And part that vision includes selling as much merchandise as possible. Thats what this Joe film and the last one are about. Of course GI Joe has ALWAYS been about shilling crap like toys, comics, etc, so I have no idealized view about that but at least the accompanying fiction was pretty clever from time to time. When the Sunbow cartoon had episodes more well put together than Sommers GI Joe movie you know there's a problem.

The people in charge of the promotional fiction were usually creative or talented enough to work around the "TO SELL TOYS" mission statement and craft some engaging fiction. comics and cartoons worked because the toys were cool and the comic and cartoon were entertaining and helped us form a connection with the toys. It was the cyclical sucess.

In the first movie Hasbro was bound and determined to push concepts that were past failures because they were too stubborn/cheap. Stuff that was grafted on to the movie that easily could have been left out. Sigma Six was a failure financially speaking but they transferred a lot of those ideas over to the film version of Joe because they thought the concept was good and because they thought that it would pay off financially. It failed.

A bunch of guys running around in Iron Man suits and black body armor? They missed the mark on that. The concept has always worked because because even though they were a team there was always a sense of individual traits. Even with the original 13. The diverse cast of characters was part of the draw. In the movie everybody looked the same. So Hasbro could reuse the same parts for their toys in a cheapo move. A case where the poor ddecisions with the toys dictated the way the movie went and it didn't pay off

And the Joes are PEOPLE, flesh and blood soldiers. Not superheroes. They USE high end near future technology but they don't become overly dependent on them. In the end it comes down to the men and women. Robotic supersuits? Theres a reason RoboJoe and BattleForce 2000 didn't catch on. The core concept is always whats worked best with some garnish on the side. That goes from 60's Joe to the Adventure team all the way to ARAH.

Its just interesting that every time they get to far away from that original concept and try to prop the brand up with gimmicks it usually backfires and scares people off more. That 25th anniversary stuff sold pretty well with NO televised fiction. Get to the movies and that sh** shelfwarmed like crazy. Thats because the movie didn't engage their target demo the way they hoped.

To give you another example: I didn't care that they made Snake Eyes and Storm shadow friends from childhood before they were in the army or that Snake Eyes was an orphan. So what. Maybe it could have been good. But they quality of execution for the overall movie and use of both was weak. Thats got nothing to do with what I would have "preferred"

Forget bended knee...I just want a reboot. All the other sh** out there is getting rebooted so why not?


Last edited by Metallo; 08-23-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #49
BlackLantern
Banned User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77,184
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

have you not learned with Transformers? you will get what Hasbro gives you and like it, b*****

BlackLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #50
Metallo
Evil Dead Re-Animator
 
Metallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 11,815
Default Re: The Rock is Roadblock

Transformers was kinda crappy but at least Bay had SOME kind of vision of his own even if I didn't always like it. And i can't say it was ever dull even if his movies were dumb. Joe was just SO by the numbers and put together by the suits.

Plus he got Cullen AND Nimoy back...more than I can say for the GI Joe movie. They could have gotten Kene Holliday to work in the PIT cafeteria to sell the Joes some porkchop sandwiches or something!

Metallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.