The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #351
Nerial
Hopeless Sci-Fi Geek

Default Re: The official X-men First Class BD/DVD thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
Not just you. I really like this idea. I always had it in my mind that Erik would come up against some guy/gal who went up against his ideals AND Charles' ideals on some level and Erik would have to bite the bullet (awful pun not intended) and go to Charles and be like "look I can't take this guy alone". And then they'd team up and it'd be just like Old Times ! but then they'd beat the baddie and maybe even have an awful heartbreaking moment where they're both like "Wow we're such a good team! Charles will obviously join me! Erik will surely come back home!" and... nope. </3
That's a nice idea, too. Yeah, they have to have a chance to interact with one another or the next film will suck. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to do this.

Quote:
Yup. He got to be all noble on the beach but now that he's had some time to stew over how he was betrayed and also realize what it means to be paralyzed from the waist-down.... I can see it building and building. I would actually be furious myself if they gloss over this and just let him be the calm, solemn Charles at the end of the movie. If Erik comes back and he's all "Oh Erik GREAT TO SEE YOU I'VE MISSED YOU OH MY LEGS NO BIGGIE BRO!" and forgives him.. grr. I need to see that even Charles isn't capable of immediately forgiving anyone. I know we're pretending that the deleted scene with Alex isn't canon because Charles is such a dick in it but pretending that it is... can you imagine the anger he'd unleash on Erik?? On Raven??? Let's see some of that! Maybe he gets so angry his hair falls out... haha. ;P
I imagine Charles going through a slew of emotions, including anger, but strangely, if he and Erik end up stuck with one another, he might even look to Erik for support as well. To the other mutants like Alex and Sean, he's the teacher; to Erik, he's a friend (or brother or companion). I'd think he'd feel kind of lonely without Erik and also Raven there (and Moira to boot). So when Erik suddenly has to come back for some reason, Charles is overwhelmed with how to feel...anger, sadness, but also, strangely, happy to see Erik as well. I think it would be a mix of things.

Quote:
I don't think they were thinking about sex necessarily but I do think they were thinking about other things that would still have been taboo in the 60s or perhaps still trying to work out their feelings. I think Charles figures out pretty early on what Erik means to him in the more-than-friends zone, but I think Erik doesn't really get it until perhaps even as late as the beach. Him asking him to be by his side isn't about being on the anti-human side. It's him telling Charles he wants to be with him, the two of them, together. I don't think he's considered the sexual logistics, I think that in that moment all he wants is to be with Charles and they'll figure it out as they go. Up until the beach his mind was too full of Shaw to worry about other stuff I think.
Hum...I don't know about the taboo stuff, at least not on a conscious level. But I get where you're coming from.

I think both of them formed their friendship together throughout the whole film, but yes, I think Erik had Shaw on the brain and I think Charles is the one that started the relationship. It's Charles' nature is to help others. You see this with Raven; you see this with him talking about helping other mutants. It's like he can't help himself. And Erik...the man has had nothing but tragedy. I think Charles' first, gut reaction is that he can help Erik overcome his demons.

But I think that relationship becomes deeper, together, throughout the rest of the movie. Especially during the telepathy scene where Charles tells Erik there's good in him. Erik starts to believe him, but in the end, just can't let go of his hatred.

I do, however, agree that on the beach, Erik wanted Charles by his side (heck, he said it flat-out). Not just because Charles is powerful or for their cause, but because they're both mutants and "brothers," and Charles is the first person that's ever seen Erik as anything besides being a weapon. That's something that has to be powerful for Erik, to be seen by someone for who he is, not what he is.

Quote:
And Wolverine 2 keeps getting pushed back and the writers and directors keep changing faster than a pair of socks. I read that Black Swan's director was initially helming it, which would have been really interesting, but now that's changed and now the screenwriter has switched to the guy who penned the 4th Die Hard. They were supposed to be filming by now but production was pushed back because of the earthquake (which has got to be a dog-ate-my-homework excuse, I live here and as lovely as they used to be the affected parts of Japan would not be the parts they would film in anyway). And now pushed back again because HJ has another committment or something... I think they should just fast-track a FC sequel. But the big problem seems to be that FOX is money-hungry. They think X4 will do well because X3 did. They're forgetting that X3 came off the heels of the widely-loved X2. People flocked to it under the impression that it couldn't be that bad, despite the negative reviews. Then they were betrayed twice and XMFC did badly at the box office. While I think they've definitely restored faith in the franchise, I thing this faith belongs to the First Class timeline. They're giving their audience too much credit if they think 1) they will remember/care about a movie that will be nearly 10 years old by the time they come out with X4 and 2) they will remember X3 with fondness and find loose ends that deserve being tied up in X4. Hint: THERE AREN'T ANY.

I love Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan but it's time to let the older X-Men universe die and stick with this fresh one. X4 and leading into X5? No thanks.

Sorry for my rambling btw, I write a little too stream-of-consciousness sometimes.
Gosh...it sounds like the script and film will be all over the place. Yuck. Honestly, I really like Wolverine, but I'm not dying for yet another Wolvie movie. And X4...even less. I love Stewart and McKellen also...but I love James and Michael more.

Nerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #352
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
That's a nice idea, too. Yeah, they have to have a chance to interact with one another or the next film will suck. Luckily, there are plenty of ways to do this.

I imagine Charles going through a slew of emotions, including anger, but strangely, if he and Erik end up stuck with one another, he might even look to Erik for support as well. To the other mutants like Alex and Sean, he's the teacher; to Erik, he's a friend (or brother or companion). I'd think he'd feel kind of lonely without Erik and also Raven there (and Moira to boot). So when Erik suddenly has to come back for some reason, Charles is overwhelmed with how to feel...anger, sadness, but also, strangely, happy to see Erik as well. I think it would be a mix of things.
Oh man that would be BOSS. Especially because James McAvoy is such a brilliant H2T actor, he would pull it off so incredibly well, all those emotions!

Quote:
I think both of them formed their friendship together throughout the whole film, but yes, I think Erik had Shaw on the brain and I think Charles is the one that started the relationship. It's Charles' nature is to help others. You see this with Raven; you see this with him talking about helping other mutants. It's like he can't help himself. And Erik...the man has had nothing but tragedy. I think Charles' first, gut reaction is that he can help Erik overcome his demons.

But I think that relationship becomes deeper, together, throughout the rest of the movie. Especially during the telepathy scene where Charles tells Erik there's good in him. Erik starts to believe him, but in the end, just can't let go of his hatred.

I do, however, agree that on the beach, Erik wanted Charles by his side (heck, he said it flat-out). Not just because Charles is powerful or for their cause, but because they're both mutants and "brothers," and Charles is the first person that's ever seen Erik as anything besides being a weapon. That's something that has to be powerful for Erik, to be seen by someone for who he is, not what he is.

Gosh...it sounds like the script and film will be all over the place. Yuck. Honestly, I really like Wolverine, but I'm not dying for yet another Wolvie movie. And X4...even less. I love Stewart and McKellen also...but I love James and Michael more.
Guh that satellite scene. I wish it hadn't happened the day before the battle. If it had happened even a week before, maybe a little more could have been salvaged.

I hope FOX will realize that to audiences Hugh Jackman is becoming less important to the franchise and McAvoy and Fassbender are becoming the ones to watch. If they DO push forward with X4 (no no no) and skip over a FC sequel I hope they at least bring back these two to make the movie half-flashbacks or something. Honestly I now have no interest in any future X-Men films that this duo is not in.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #353
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick

Stoked. Local Target has a bluray/dvd combo pack. yes.

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #354
the a1ant
Awesome

^Great! I wanted to get both.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:04 AM   #355
PyroChamber
W.B.B.S.

It's too bad this is being released on friday instead of tuesday, which means I have to wait 3 more days to get it.

Quote:
Sometimes, it's so easy, I'm ashamed of myself.
PyroChamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:57 AM   #356
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Totally loved this film and want to own it. The best big budget Fox film in over a decade.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #357
roach
I am the night

did the commercial just advertise that it was certified fresh on RT????

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:21 PM   #358
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
did the commercial just advertise that it was certified fresh on RT????
Probably. Fox was trumpeting XFC's fresh tomatometer rating in commercials back when the movie was still new in theaters.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #359
josee
Side-Kick

josee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #360
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veidt View Post
Any word on any special releases or sets??? What comes with this boxed HMV set? I saw the cool Brazil release a few pages back. Any word on anything like that hitting American stores or online??? I want to buy some unique sets to give as Christmas gifts, not just the movie that you will be able to pick up at any drug store soon.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:05 AM   #361
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Time to save some money for this!!! ^_^

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #362
Havok83
Side-Kick

Why is this coming out on Friday? That seems like such an odd choice considering new releases primarily come out Tuesday

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyroChamber View Post
It's too bad this is being released on friday instead of tuesday, which means I have to wait 3 more days to get it.
or you could look at it that you can get it 4 days earlier

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #363
MARVEL ROCKS
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Totally loved this film and want to own it. The best big budget Fox film in over a decade.
As much as I loved X-men:FC, I would say Rise of the Planet of the Apes is best summer big budget Fox film. I just feel that Apes delivered more bang for the buck than X-men. X-men didn't really wow me with it's action or cgi eventhough it costed $135-140 million (including tax credits). Apes on a 92 million budget wowed me with it's CGI and final set piece.

MARVEL ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #364
Ipodman
Love Tension

The CGI/special effects of both X-men first class and Rise of the Apes looks good, but not great. Some of the flying scenes in X-men first class are painfully fake...

Ipodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #365
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipodman View Post
The CGI/special effects of both X-men first class and Rise of the Apes looks good, but not great. Some of the flying scenes in X-men first class are painfully fake...
How can they be painfully fake CGI when they used wirework rigs?

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM   #366
Ipodman
Love Tension

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
How can they be painfully fake CGI when they used wirework rigs?
That's why I said CGI/special effects... I thought special effects included wirework...

Old 09-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #367
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

so in America, where is the best place to get this? Like who has the best to offer.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 PM   #368
Darkness Falls
The Right Amount Of Dirty

that cover is awesome, but i probably would've put shaw or even mystique there instead of angel

Better Call Saul
Darkness Falls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #369
cronosred
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMaNiAx View Post
so in America, where is the best place to get this? Like who has the best to offer.
I'm getting the blu-ray/dvd combo at Target other than that so far it doesn't sound like anyone's going to have any cool exclusives.

cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 AM   #370
StarkTheProdigy
Side-Kick

^I Agree. I'll be purchasing mine at Target, because I love having a bluray and dvd copy. Plus, I love the cover, it's similar to the one above

"You experience things, and then they're over."
StarkTheProdigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #371
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
That's why I said CGI/special effects... I thought special effects included wirework...
But how can they be 'painfully fake' if they actually were flying, on wirework?

Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #372
Ipodman
Love Tension

Quote:
But how can they be 'painfully fake' if they actually were flying, on wirework?
Because I could see that they weren't really flying...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #373
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Because I could see that they weren't really flying...
I didn't sense that at all. I thought the flying looked really good. Each to his own, I guess, but I this is the first criticism I've heard of the flying in the film.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:19 AM   #374
Ipodman
Love Tension

Quote:
I didn't sense that at all. I thought the flying looked really good. Each to his own, I guess, but I this is the first criticism I've heard of the flying in the film.
Lol... the flying of Angel and Banshee in the climax was very fake looking to me.

The flying of Angel (the real Angel) and Storm in X3 were pretty good...

Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #375
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User

Quote:
Lol... the flying of Angel and Banshee in the climax was very fake looking to me.

The flying of Angel (the real Angel) and Storm in X3 were pretty good...
The flying shots in XMFC was very different from the shots in X-Men3, not really comparable.

I didn't see anything wrong with the wirework in XMFc, although i did see someone complaining about this in a thread a couple of months ago.

and i agree with the response that got, that it is far preferable to see a little wobble here and there with a real person in a harness, rather than an obvious CG replacement as in Superman Returns, or the Matrix sequels.

The first shot of Storm flying in the Danger room in XM3 is pretty obvious wire work, the one outside JG's house is much better though.
Angel was shot well going out the window, but it was hardly the same kind of ambitious shots that were used in XMFC of Banshee and Lenny Kravitz's daughter Angel flying across the ocean and in battle.

Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote