The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #76
Raiden
The Captain

Default Re: Thor 2 Coming July 26, 2013

I'm very happy about a release date for Thor 2, but I'm sadden by the news of Branagh's exit as the director. I guess he didn't want to tackle the sequel so soon after the first one? Branagh really helped making the father-son dynamic works in the first movie so it's too bad that (like IM) Marvel has to find a replacement for the sequel.

As for my list of possible directors to replace Branagh, I'm hoping that we will not just get someone who is good with action & green screen, but also is a good director who can work with actors and has a nice reputation already. How about Gore Verbinski of Pirates 1-3, or Sam Raimi?

Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:25 PM   #77
Raiden
The Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I agree, I don't like the move to have 2 sequels for Marvel that summer, and that it will be three straight years of Thor. Plus, Hemsworth has gone on to state that he wanted to take a break from the character after The Avengers. I don't really like this move for Marvel at all.

If anything, I think they should try and enact that plan to make smaller scale films and begin franchises out of other characters. What ever happened to Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Luke Cage, or an Iron Fist film?

Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, I just don't think it's a good idea to have both.
As much as I want to see Thor 2 & IM3, I also agree that it's too soon to have Thor 2 in 2013, making it three straight years of Thor and 2 straight years of IM. I don't want Marvel to oversaturate the audience with these two characters, and if they could move them to 2014 while having other MCU movies like Dr. Strange or Black Panther, it would've solved the problem. Make the audience thirst for their return, but don't make GA groan as they see both superheroes showing up yet again. I think the problem is that Marvel just doesn't have alot of characters they're confident in, so they keep going back to the ones that have earned their confidence.

Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #78
Gamma Burst
Banned User

As long as the films are great, I don't see any problems with the 2013 release.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #79
Bubonic
Banned User

Dr.Strange, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Luke Cage and Iron Fist movies probably aren't completely out of the question between now and 2013.
Not all of them of course but I was half expecting to hear news of any of these being confirmed by the July ComicCon.

Also, I don't see people groaning at the return of such beloved characters, so long as the quality is sustained or improved upon. A lot of what people seemed to complain about with IM2 is that a lot of Avengers stuff was forced upon it, after the Avengers already come out we might not have that same problem, not that I considered it a problem to begin with...

Bubonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 PM   #80
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Yeah, IIRC Feige stated way back the goal was to get to 4 releases a year, and if Avengers is that successful it's not that out of the question to introduce new characters like Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, or the more unique and less-known properties rumored to be in the works like Ka-Zar and Guardians of the Galaxy.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:48 PM   #81
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubonic View Post
Dr.Strange, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Luke Cage and Iron Fist movies probably aren't completely out of the question between now and 2013.
Not all of them of course but I was half expecting to hear news of any of these being confirmed by the July ComicCon.

Also, I don't see people groaning at the return of such beloved characters, so long as the quality is sustained or improved upon. A lot of what people seemed to complain about with IM2 is that a lot of Avengers stuff was forced upon it, after the Avengers already come out we might not have that same problem, not that I considered it a problem to begin with...
Agreed. Quality is the keyword here.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #82
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

I want an Iron Fist and Dr. Strange movie.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #83
gmanca
Side-Kick

Maybe they would be able to do an Ant-Man film for a Christmas 2012 release?

gmanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #84
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

Quote:

I'm worried about the quality, though. Iron Man 2 I liked, and I felt was a good movie but it suffered from a weak screenplay that was rushed by Marvel. Everything else was good, but the weak screenplay hurts it.

And the Avengers thing is a non-problem. To be honest, I find it to be a stupid excuse created by comic-book/superhero fans because they know of the Avengers.

Oh, Nick Fury is in this movie! This an Avengers commercial

Give me a f**king break.

EDIT: Sorry, but the Avengers commercial excuse pisses me off. That's not a problem with Iron Man 2.

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #85
gmanca
Side-Kick

Yeah, the complaints about the Shield stuff are misguided; it's not that they took up a chunk of the running time, it's that the other characters, like Hammer and Vanko were a small portion of the entire plot that hurts the film.

Iron Man 2 should have been 20-30 minutes longer.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #86
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Do you guys think a Luke Cage movie would be beneath Spike Lee? I like Spike's style alot. I really think he could pull off a cool Cage movie and give that character some credibility.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #87
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

No, the only thing that would've made it better was having Tony fight Vanko at the party instead of Rhodey or at least have a drone attack him, giving Rhodey an even stronger motivation for grabbing Tony's armor and taking it from him.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #88
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
Yeah, the complaints about the Shield stuff are misguided; it's not that they took up a chunk of the running time, it's that the other characters, like Hammer and Vanko were a small portion of the entire plot that hurts the film.

Iron Man 2 should have been 20-30 minutes longer.
I thought Hammer got plenty of screentime in IM2. The problem is people expected him to be a bonafide villain. I thought he was hilarious as a douchey Tony Stark wannabe. He pretty much owned all of his scenes. It was a little too funny, which I think rubbed the fanboys wrong.

Vanko was underused I suppose but it didn't really bother me too much. Unlike a Batman movie, I go to an Iron Man movie to see the main character do his thing.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #89
gmanca
Side-Kick

^Yeah, I really enjoyed Rockwell as Hammer and although I agree that there's probably enough of Hammer in the film, Rourke as Vanko was really wasted and at the very least the end battle should have been longer. I think the absence of the two, mainly Vanko between the Monaco scene and the start of the third act was the main issue I had.

Quote:
No, the only thing that would've made it better was having Tony fight Vanko at the party instead of Rhodey or at least have a drone attack him, giving Rhodey an even stronger motivation for grabbing Tony's armor and taking it from him.
Eh, the way the Shield scenes are heavily linked from scene to scene does not help the second act. If there was more from Vanko and Hammer, you could separate the Shield scenes and it doesn't seem like a bore.

To speak more specifically on the errors of the script, the Mansion fight scene was bad and that should have had more significance than just Rhodey being above the law. Another thing that hurt that scene is that they should have reinserted the cut scene of Stark, Potts, and Rhodes on the space jet because it helps to establish the audience to the friendship between Stark and Rhodes.

And my last side note, I hope the Avengers has a reappearance of Hammer because it would make sense for the US Government to turn to Hammer Industries for help against an alien invasion should Stark be unavailable. To put it relatable terms, it's like Wernstrom and Farnsworth, this one-upsmanship between two like minds.

Last edited by gmanca; 06-30-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #90
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
That probally would have been a better way to handle that. Then again, the Batfanboys would have claimed Favreau ripped off the Joker by having the villain attack the hero at a party.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:19 PM   #91
Bubonic
Banned User

Quote:
I'm worried about the quality, though. Iron Man 2 I liked, and I felt was a good movie but it suffered from a weak screenplay that was rushed by Marvel. Everything else was good, but the weak screenplay hurts it.

And the Avengers thing is a non-problem. To be honest, I find it to be a stupid excuse created by comic-book/superhero fans because they know of the Avengers.

Oh, Nick Fury is in this movie! This an Avengers commercial

Give me a f**king break.

EDIT: Sorry, but the Avengers commercial excuse pisses me off. That's not a problem with Iron Man 2.
True, some of the lines of the movie like the I'll be keeping my eye on you, were painful. I guess the IM2 wasn't all that deep, but certainly not as bad as say Batfans would like to make it out to be.

I just assumed they already had a script ready for Thor 2, or at least a strong outline. I hope they take this film to Asgard and beyond, have us explore the 9 realms, let us not dwell too long on Earth... But they probably will force Earth into it for Jane Foster.

2 years seems like a long time to a guy like me who is ignorant of the film industries inner workings. I figure a good script can take less than 6 months to write, hell less than 3 months if the writer is absolutely inspired, casting is already three quarters done, find a director, filming probably takes 6-9 months and then you've got a year give or take in post production... No?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #92
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

The biggest problem in IM2 was the middle. The point of the movie between Vanko breaking out of prison and Nick Fury meeting Tony. Everything before and after that is perfection. I didn't mind the Tony/Rhodey fight but it could have been much better. It shouldn't have ever been a straight up fistfight. It should have been in public and Rhodey should have used the suit initially to save innocent bystanders from a drunken Tony Stark.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #93
Bubonic
Banned User

Also a more serious approach to the Demon in the Bottle angle could have been epic instead of playing it off as a gag.

Anyways, back on the subject of Thor and how we hope it'll rock.

Now why would Branagh as a producer make a difference, is it because producers exert a lot of influence on the director?

Also, who joined onto the project only because Branagh was attached? I've heard this, but him leaving won't mean actors like Hopkins leaving will it?

Old 06-30-2011, 08:33 PM   #94
Parker Wayne
IT Boy!

Well all the important characters are contracted to come back, though Hopkins really liked working with Branagh and has gone so far to say that Branaugh got Hopkins really enthused about acting again.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM   #95
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
True, some of the lines of the movie like the I'll be keeping my eye on you, were painful. I guess the IM2 wasn't all that deep, but certainly not as bad as say Batfans would like to make it out to be.

I just assumed they already had a script ready for Thor 2, or at least a strong outline. I hope they take this film to Asgard and beyond, have us explore the 9 realms, let us not dwell too long on Earth... But they probably will force Earth into it for Jane Foster.

2 years seems like a long time to a guy like me who is ignorant of the film industries inner workings. I figure a good script can take less than 6 months to write, hell less than 3 months if the writer is absolutely inspired, casting is already three quarters done, find a director, filming probably takes 6-9 months and then you've got a year give or take in post production... No?

I believe they were already working on Thor 2 script even before the first movie was out. That's what i remember from Kevin Feige and Quesada's interviews...

Old 06-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #96
ETGuy
Side-Kick

STEVEN MOFFAT TO WRITE THOR 2!!!

I'm so happy that we're getting two movies in 2013. After all of my hype for this year, I can't really imagine a year without two Marvel Studios movies. Next year is The Avengers so that makes up for two movies but we also have ASM so it's all good.

Steven Moffat. Please.

ETGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:43 PM   #97
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

IM2s problem was that they "Venom'd" in War Machine because fanboys wouldn't shut up about having the armor in the movie. It took away from the villains and the scripted which had to be rewritten to add him in. Rhodey becoming WM should've been saved for waaay future sequels of the reboot.

Hopefully Thor doesn't suffer from this and doesn't start adding Beta Ray Bill, Thunderstrike or some other clone in this upcoming sequel. Same with Cap, no US Agent for the sequel.

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #98
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Hopkins needs to return. He was great as Odin. I could live without Natalie Portman/Jane but I would at least like to see her back for one sequel to complete the romance angle from the first movie. Thor 2 should ideally be mostly set in Asgard and the other realms, not Earth, after the big Avengers battle. Thor 2 has so much potential as a fantasy adventure movie if it takes place on another realm like Alfheim or Hel.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 PM   #99
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Default Re: Thor 2 Coming Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I hope they get Michael Bay to put some serious comic book action.

who's with me?!

anybody?!
*Slowly walks Mace to the edge of a very high bridge*

Me: "Let me help you, buddy."
Mace: "Wheeeee!"

Old 06-30-2011, 08:50 PM   #100
Marvel
Side-Kick

The only thing wrong with Iron Man 2 was in the fans that expected too much and in their own minds.

As for Thor 2, Kenneth Branagh did a great job but I think the man knows his limitations. The family angst and Shakespearian elements won't be in play in the sequel. It's be a straight up adventure film and that really isn't his strength. I'm glad he's contributing as a producer but him stepping aside shows what a class act he is and a man that knows his own limitations.

Marvel is online now   Reply With Quote