The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 06-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #101
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Default Re: Thor 2 Coming July 26, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's down to him having that boat movie out in 2013.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:57 PM   #102
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
IM2s problem was that they "Venom'd" in War Machine because fanboys wouldn't shut up about having the armor in the movie. It took away from the villains and the scripted which had to be rewritten to add him in. Rhodey becoming WM should've been saved for waaay future sequels of the reboot.

Hopefully Thor doesn't suffer from this and doesn't start adding Beta Ray Bill, Thunderstrike or some other clone in this upcoming sequel. Same with Cap, no US Agent for the sequel.
Oh, your hate for War Machine.

War Machine being in the movie wasn't a problem.

I definitely don't see US Angent being in a Captain America movie though.

Potential Username Suggestion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:58 PM   #103
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
The only thing wrong with Iron Man 2 was in the fans that expected too much and in their own minds.

As for Thor 2, Kenneth Branagh did a great job but I think the man knows his limitations. The family angst and Shakespearian elements won't be in play in the sequel. It's be a straight up adventure film and that really isn't his strength. I'm glad he's contributing as a producer but him stepping aside shows what a class act he is and a man that knows his own limitations.
That's what I was thinking too. They should get a guy who can handle epic adventure elements with great action.

Quote:
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:00 PM   #104
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Quote:
The only thing wrong with Iron Man 2 was in the fans that expected too much and in their own minds.

As for Thor 2, Kenneth Branagh did a great job but I think the man knows his limitations. The family angst and Shakespearian elements won't be in play in the sequel. It's be a straight up adventure film and that really isn't his strength. I'm glad he's contributing as a producer but him stepping aside shows what a class act he is and a man that knows his own limitations.
This is a good way to look at it.

Still a shame he won't be bringing his thing to it, he really nailed the acting. It was the strongest point of the movie to me, and I loved it. I have confidence though. For some reason while I am disappointed, I'm not all freaking out like I figured I'd be.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:02 PM   #105
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

If they have a decent script at all that's half the battle right there. My feeling with Iron Man 2 is that they went to the well with improv too much.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:03 PM   #106
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:

Exactly. The fans expected Iron Man 2 to basically be an Oscar movie or as well loved as TDK. Instead we got a good movie that was picked apart at every minute detail and that slightly ruined it for some people. Nobody did these things for X-Men First Class or most other movies.

And I think that plays a role in Branagh only doing 1 Thor movie. The fans demand a much better movie than the first and have unreal expectations. I am sure Favreau dealt with the same thing. He made a good, solid, fun movie under a tight shooting schedule and people bashed minor details in return.

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
ElMariachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #107
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

^ I don't think people expected it to be like The Dark Knight or an Oscar movie.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #108
gmanca
Side-Kick

OK, so how does one "take this" somewhere else? Just curious as I could go into specifically why certain things don't work in IM2 but I don't want to go all out on an unrelated board.

As for "Marvel's" explanation, that's pretty spot on, indeed a good way to look at the Thor 2 development. I do think though that there should still be that element of brother vs brother that Brannagh did a fine job on and perhaps his role as producer will keep those touches.

gmanca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #109
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

X2, Spidey 2, and TDK pretty much ingrained in fanboy's consciousness that the 2nd film of a superb 1st film is supposed to set the world on fire.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #110
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
^ I don't think people expected it to be like The Dark Knight or an Oscar movie.
I think they did. TDK was the movie that was compared with Iron Man 2 and I still think those are unrealistic expectations. There was never going to be that sort of drama in an Iron Man movie. Iron Man should have been compared to the likes of Spider-Man, X-Men, and other REAL superhero movies, not the police-drama that TDK ended up being. I personally thought IM2 was as good as the best superhero movies. The flaws that people point out in IM2 were ignored in say, Spider-Man 2. Anybody remember that hammy stretch of film in the middle of SM2?

Prof. X sittin' on Adamantium wheelchair rims, reading your stupid minds & laughing at your hair.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:17 PM   #111
the dmg
The Funky Homosapien

More or less just found out the news. It sucks, but at least he'll be on in some sort of capacity.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #112
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMariachi View Post
I think they did. TDK was the movie that was compared with Iron Man 2 and I still think those are unrealistic expectations. There was never going to be that sort of drama in an Iron Man movie. Iron Man should have been compared to the likes of Spider-Man, X-Men, and other REAL superhero movies, not the police-drama that TDK ended up being. I personally thought IM2 was as good as the best superhero movies. The flaws that people point out in IM2 were ignored in say, Spider-Man 2. Anybody remember that hammy stretch of film in the middle of SM2?
Iron Man is about global private one man cop/army and can be done like TDK but with a larger scope. They could go without any superhero aspect with Iron Man because it can be done in a pseudo-realistic, techno James Bond way

chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #113
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saitou Hajime View Post
X2, Spidey 2, and TDK pretty much ingrained in fanboy's consciousness that the 2nd film of a superb 1st film is supposed to set the world on fire.
I don't know why.

X-2 was good but people, especially on here, overrate that movie. It was better than X-1 but that's really not saying much. They are now doing the same thing with First Class. A movie that I liked, don't get me wrong, but it has flaws that were overlooked compared to Iron Man 2.

Spider-Man 2 was as good as the first in my opinion. Both were quality movies and I will never understand why people rate SM2 THAT much higher than SM1.

TDK was a more popular, well received movie than BB but was it really a better movie? Batman Begins may be the perfect Batman movie. The brilliance of Ledger's Joker has blinded people from that.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:22 PM   #114
gmanca
Side-Kick

Quote:
The flaws that people point out in IM2 were ignored in say, Spider-Man 2. Anybody remember that hammy stretch of film in the middle of SM2?
I purposely never saw that movie

Old 06-30-2011, 09:25 PM   #115
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Really curious about who will be chosen as the director.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:26 PM   #116
ElMariachi
Bald to the Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
Iron Man is about global private one man cop/army and can be done like TDK but with a larger scope. They could go without any superhero aspect with Iron Man because it can be done in a pseudo-realistic, techno James Bond way
I don't think the movie could ever be like TDK, which was a crime drama. I see what you mean by Iron Man being a believeable real world character (compared to Thor, Green Lantern, etc.) though. Hopefully, Shane Black goes through with his 'Tom Clancy' IM3 plot

That's actually one of the things that bothered me about IM2. Show me Iron Man's victories around the globe in a montage, not newsclippings in Vanko's Moscow rathole workshop. That opening scene was awesome (great musical score there) but I would have liked a simultaneous Iron Man kicking ass montage.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #117
blinkinrogue
Side-Kick

i just dont see the point why we always have to compare one cbm to TDK, i watched it and i didnt even bother finishing it, it bored me and i found heath overacting sometimes, as if he is trying too hard (just my opinion), i found the subtlety in loki much better acting. maybe a part of this is because im not a batman fan at all

i think CBM can be considered good even classic if it doesnt take itself too seriously and should all be about fun and adventure, and good acting is definitely a bonus. x1, x2, SM and SM2, thor, and IM, I think all these are really good CBM's. I'm hoping CA and the avengers will be as good too.

blinkinrogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:38 PM   #118
Flemm
Side-Kick

The ass-kicking montage, like the training montage, is a pretty tired device that I don't find especially compelling, but to each his own.

IM2 was a bit cluttered, by the War Machine subplot notably, but the main problem in my eyes was poor development of the two main antagonists, Hammer and Vanko.

With Thor 2 the trick will be raising the epicness level while maintaining and further developing the strong relationships established in the first film. Where the writers go with the Thor/Jane romance will be especially important, since it will be hard to tie that material in effectively with whatever the main new threat is. Probably her research on rainbow bridge technology with be integral to the plot somehow, so she is more than just a love interest, bystander or damsel in distress.

Last edited by Flemm; 06-30-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 PM   #119
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

My biggest concern re: Thor 2 (even though I want to see it happening) is that Marvel will repeat the mistakes they did with IM2, which was rushed into production without a good script and ended up tainted the goodwill set up the first movie, and perhaps indirectly resulted in the exit of Jon Favearu. Also, I think it is a risk to overexpose a character like Thor. The Avengers is an ensemble so the focus won't always be on Thor, but Thor 2 will be squarely on the shoulders on Thor again. And would Hemsworth get a fatigue playing the same character in three straight movies?

Marvel should've trusted their other properties and let their two of the four most valuable franchises get a rest for another year, and do movies based on Dr. Strange and other characters they have control of. That way, it can strengthen the roster of Avengers 2, and they won't appear as if they are thin on the roster.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #120
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

Quote:
I don't think the movie could ever be like TDK, which was a crime drama. I see what you mean by Iron Man being a believeable real world character (compared to Thor, Green Lantern, etc.) though. Hopefully, Shane Black goes through with his 'Tom Clancy' IM3 plot
Yes it could never be a crime drama. Iron Man is a geo-political thriller, one filled with WMD, chem weapons, global expansion, economic maneuver, and United Nations conference. Mandarin is a very intelligent, powerful tyrant; I hope they set him up for what a global threat he is.

chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #121
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
My biggest concern re: Thor 2 (even though I want to see it happening) is that Marvel will repeat the mistakes they did with IM2, which was rushed into production without a good script and ended up tainted the goodwill set up the first movie, and perhaps indirectly resulted in the exit of Jon Favearu.
The difference though is that Feige said as soon as Thor came out that writer Don Payne was already coming up with story ideas. With IM2 it was a long means of getting Favreau back and agreeing to it months after release and the announcement, then tossing story ideas around, then later RDJ suggested Theroux to put the script together. So I'm thinking they learned from their missteps and want to get it assembled as soon as possible.

And it'll be interesting to see who the director is, since they better pick his or her ass very soon, if not now.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #122
Raiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefchirpa View Post
Yes it could never be a crime drama. Iron Man is a geo-political thriller, one filled with WMD, chem weapons, global expansion, economic maneuver, and United Nations conference. Mandarin is a very intelligent, powerful tyrant; I hope they set him up for what a global threat he is.
I like Mandarin, but since China is so sensitive about films with Chinese villains, I just think it might have a tough time getting the permission to be released over there. And China is a big market for blockbusters right now.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 06-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #123
Raiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Coul View Post
The difference though is that Feige said as soon as Thor came out that writer Don Payne was already coming up with story ideas. With IM2 it was a long means of getting Favreau back and agreeing to it months after release and the announcement, then tossing story ideas around, then later RDJ suggested Theroux to put the script together. So I'm thinking they learned from their missteps and want to get it assembled as soon as possible.

And it'll be interesting to see who the director is, since they better pick his or her ass very soon, if not now.
I hope the story about Thor's script for sequel being written already is true, because I don't think Marvel can afford to have another IM2. I don't want Marvel to gain a reputation of having weak sophomore efforts with their movies, like WB haven't a reputation of only doing Batman & Superman movies.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:58 PM   #124
Blackman
C'mon Son

Branagh
But why?

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #125
gmanca
Side-Kick

Easy fix IMO would be to make The Mandarin's family a part of Chiang Kai-shek's Inner Circle.