The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:39 AM   #76
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Default Re: The Official Superman Fan Art & Manips Thread - Part 4

Still think this Lee-drawing captures it best overall.

Awesome Supes and the emblem is perfect. It has that futuristic thing about it. Maybe because the S is thick and less curvey than most classic versions. If the S is too round and thin it'll look obvious.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #77
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelanddcfan View Post
Hey guys, I found this picture of a bunch of Superman Shields.

Since the classic \S/ has never been used in a movie before, I think the costume in the new movie should use it. It's perfect.
Did Smallville actually change it that much?

Old 07-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #78
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrypJonian View Post
Did Smallville actually change it that much?
Somewhat; but their specific S symbol was mainly used for a crest device that Clark had to send people away to the Phantom Zone. The S that Clark adapted on his chest for his first look was more SR like, and the second S was actually the classic design. The Superman suit that as most of us who saw it would know, was the SR one since they had used the SR costume, but the S on his cape was the classic one as well.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #79
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Somewhat; but their specific S symbol was mainly used for a crest device that Clark had to send people away to the Phantom Zone. The S that Clark adapted on his chest for his first look was more SR like, and the second S was actually the classic design. The Superman suit that as most of us who saw it would know, was the SR one since they had used the SR costume, but the S on his cape was the classic one as well.
Nice, go SV...

Old 07-04-2011, 06:49 AM   #80
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:
Hey guys, I found this picture of a bunch of Superman Shields.

Since the classic \S/ has never been used in a movie before, I think the costume in the new movie should use it. It's perfect.
If this was actually the dimensions of the SR shield on his chest, things may have been different...

Old 07-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #81
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Posting it again... The proper symbol needs to be seen...

Old 07-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #82
JKKS085
Side-Kick

Thanks but no thanks.
The new film needs it's own visual identity starting with a new logo.
Like what Nolan did with Batman Begins.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #83
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Definitely, and they better not sow the emblem on like a piece of cloth. Has to be a different material than the rest of the suit, like in SR only not. No apparent rubber, dammit!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #84
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post

Awesome Supes and the emblem is perfect. It has that futuristic thing about it. Maybe because the S is thick and less curvey than most classic versions. If the S is too round and thin it'll look obvious.

^ THIS is superman!

Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #85
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKS085 View Post
Thanks but no thanks.
The new film needs it's own visual identity starting with a new logo.
Like what Nolan did with Batman Begins.

no it doesn't.. you know there are some who didn't enjoy all the armor that batman wore. superman can be tweaked a bit but not too much or it will look like utter crap.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #86
marvelanddcfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
no it doesn't.. you know there are some who didn't enjoy all the armor that batman wore. superman can be tweaked a bit but not too much or it will look like utter crap.
I agree. To me, it's never truly Superman unless there's the bright primary colors, the classic \S/ shield on the chest and cape, with an s curl on the hair. If those things aren't there, it's not Superman to me.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:33 AM   #87
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree. To me, it's never truly Superman unless there's the bright primary colors, the classic \S/ shield on the chest and cape, with an s curl on the hair. If those things aren't there, it's not Superman to me.

im just not sold on the supposed newly redesigned suit with some armor on it. i also do not like the fact they may get rid of the red trunks. the S you see in my AV is what i want.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #88
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post

Needs to be like this.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #89
egarza
Esto!

i'm not a fan of the rounded ball thing on the bottom of the so-called classic S.

med's is cool, but i don't get the 'v' part coming off the bottom of the S. someone made an adjustment to it w/o the v a few pages/threads back and it made more sense to me.

manip wise - i updated my movie version inspired by the 'classic' and new design on my DA page. thoughts / comments here / there welcome!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:00 PM   #90
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

http://estogarza.deviantart.com/#/d3f7l9v

i can live with this, i like it!

Old 07-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #91
The Red Hood
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharih View Post
It's too Cartoony. The Superman Returns motif stayed pretty close to the original, but made it just a little bit sharper. I would've pushed it further, in case that wasn't clear, but it's a good compromise for a modern film.
Wow...it's "too cartoony?" That's some indefensible, well-thought out reasoning you've got there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharih View Post
Nope, it's freaking awesome. Blows the so called classic S right out of the water.
The classic shield IS indeed classic. It's been around since the 40s and is the symbol recognized around the world. It's the most recognized symbol in the world after the cross of Christianity.

That "freaking awesome" "design" you posted looks like post-modern, "kewlll!11" crap that NO ONE will recognize as being the symbol of Superman. Such a craptacular symbol would do significant damage to the marketing and overall appeal of the film. It would lead people to ask "What is that supposed to be?" instead of declare, "Hey look! A new Superman movie!"

And it's going to look dated in a few years, just like the Burton \S/ it "borrows" heavily from. Like that ill-conceived "attempt," this should also be quickly forgotten.

As for the Superman Returns logo, I think that's about as far as tweaking should go. I wouldn't be averse to it being used again, esp. since it was reused in Smallville and would be recognizable. But I'd want the colors brighter and no \S/ pattern:

Last edited by The Red Hood; 07-04-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #92
The Red Hood
Banned User

I forgot that I had this one. I love the colors here, and think the SR \S/ looks much better thus rendered:

Old 07-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #93
marvelanddcfan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Hood View Post
Wow...it's "too cartoony?" That's some indefensible, well-thought out reasoning you've got there.

The classic shield IS indeed classic. It's been around since the 40s and is the symbol recognized around the world. It's the most recognized symbol in the world after the cross of Christianity.

That "freaking awesome" "design" you posted looks like post-modern, "kewlll!11" crap that NO ONE will recognize as being the symbol of Superman. Such a craptacular symbol would do significant damage to the marketing and overall appeal of the film. It would lead people to ask "What is that supposed to be?" instead of declare, "Hey look! A new Superman movie!"

And it's going to look dated in a few years, just like the Burton \S/ it "borrows" heavily from. Like that ill-conceived "attempt," this should also be quickly forgotten.

As for the Superman Returns logo, I think that's about as far as tweaking should go. I wouldn't be averse to it being used again, esp. since it was reused in Smallville and would be recognizable. But I'd want the colors brighter and no \S/ pattern:

Now THIS is EXACTLY what i want. It is the perfect shield!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:03 PM   #94
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
I forgot that I had this one. I love the colors here, and think the SR \S/ looks much better thus rendered:

i love this!

Old 07-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #95
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

Quote:

now thats what we need

Old 07-04-2011, 01:10 PM   #96
Sabaoth
Master

Get used to it.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #97
Sabaoth
Master

Isn't it awesome?

Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #98
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post

Get used to it.

i don't think that's gonna be the S. looks like what they were going to use in the tim burton canned sups movie.

Old 07-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #99
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:

Isn't it awesome?

no

Old 07-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #100
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Yes, it's too cartoony and cheesy looking. Oh I'm sorry, were you expecting some well thought out logical objective based argument to explain why I think the classic S is cheesy looking? Lol.

Quote:
......lol, you're hysterical. EVERYONE and their mother could tell that's the Superman symbol. Show that image to anyone off the street and the first thing they'll think of is Superman.
As I said, the only failing it has is that when viewed small enough or from far enough away.....it's not quite as discernable as the classic S design...but that is an acceptable trade off considering how sleek it is IMO.

Quote:
As for the Superman Returns logo, I think that's about as far as tweaking should go. I wouldn't be averse to it being used again, esp. since it was reused in Smallville and would be recognizable.:
great.

Quote:

Isn't it awesome?
Hells to the yes it is. Too bad it's not official.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
i don't think that's gonna be the S. looks like what they were going to use in the tim burton canned sups movie.
No. It's not an official design, it's a fan render. The Tim Burton S....should never be spoken of.

Closed Thread