The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 08-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #76
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick

Default Re: So, who should direct Thor 2?

As for Malekieth, I like the guy who played the main villain in Hellboy 2. He was an elf, and he knew martial arts. He kicked major ass, and if not for his sister killing herself, he would have kicked the crap out of Hellboy.

ThorThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #77
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
Don Paine has also written the first Thor movie.
Hardly. He was a contributor. They credited JMS with the story. JMS wrote the outline. Several writers collaborated to produce the final version for the film, but they credited JMS because they didn't change (much) his original outline. They only filled in the lines, you know, lines like - "i need a horse", or "we have a Jacky Chan, Robin Hood, Xena"... Don can do funny (having written for the Simpsons, and a comedy bomb- Super Ex-GF), but he has yet to write something EPIC. And I know people have to start somewhere, but as a Thor fan, I am not sure I want him merely testing the epic adventure waters in Thor.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:36 PM   #78
Aeltri
Elf in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorThunderGod View Post
As for Malekith, I like the guy who played the main villain in Hellboy 2. He was an elf, and he knew martial arts. He kicked major ass, and if not for his sister killing herself, he would have kicked the crap out of Hellboy.
See that's the problem, people who don't know much about either backstory are already going to compare the two. Nuada Silverlance is a fierce warrior and is about as masculine as you can get for an elf. Luke Goss' muscular physique and strong features fit that particular character. Malekith on the other hand is a glib-tongued sorcerer who looks the part. He is disturbingly androgynous and willowy, so they are going to need to cast someone completely different.

Aeltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:07 AM   #79
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
They've only had 6 films released so far, that can change. That SHOULD change. If you have a mere Don Payne to write your movie, you need a very capable director to polish whatever drivel he has written. Otherwise, it will feel like a TV-movie. And we do not want that for Thor, now, do we? No.

If a high-caliber director is not possible, then get Mark Protosevich to write the screenplay, so whatever new director (straight from film school or low budget tv series he came from) won't be able to mess it up, much.
Justbecause Payne writes the first draft, there's really nothing to indicate that other writers don't do numerous re-writes. as does the director probably. so don't worry about payne.

RANDOM BLOCKBUSTER SEQUEL: RETURN OF THE RISING DARKNESS
------------------------------

ZWERG/ELF

a fantasy RPG based bilingual webcomic

R_Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:33 AM   #80
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

I don't trust Payne either. I read Thor's script before watching the film, and it was bland as hell. Branagh's direction and cast (Hopkins, Hiddleston, and Hemsworth) dragged the film from the depths of blandness, to the greatness we saw on screen. Now that Payne is back, we need an impressive director, much like Branagh, to bring something special.

For me, the weakness of Thor was in the Earth scenes. The drama that was happening in Asgard kept the film moving, but the Earth scenes counteracted that by focusing mainly on comedy. When in reality, the most important aspect should be Thor realizing his love for the human race. That storyline was incredibly weak in the film, and it all came from Payne's screenplay.

We just need an extraordinary director on board, because I don't trust the writing for s***.

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #81
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeltri View Post
See that's the problem, people who don't know much about either backstory are already going to compare the two. Nuada Silverlance is a fierce warrior and is about as masculine as you can get for an elf. Luke Goss' muscular physique and strong features fit that particular character. Malekith on the other hand is a glib-tongued sorcerer who looks the part. He is disturbingly androgynous and willowy, so they are going to need to cast someone completely different.
Nah. Thor needs more action. An ass-kicking elf is what it needs. No reason why Malekit can't be "kung-fu fighting" AND be a glib sorcerer at the same time. This is the movies. Not a direct translation from comics. Some artistic license is in order.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #82
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Justbecause Payne writes the first draft, there's really nothing to indicate that other writers don't do numerous re-writes. as does the director probably. so don't worry about payne.
At the same time, we also do not know whether or not there will be numerous re-writes. They could just say, "wow, Don, this comedy set in Asgard is brilliant, let's shoot it scene by scene". And since there is no stellar director from the ones being rumored to be in contention to be the director of Thor 2 (except Yates), I am not so convinced that it's a good thing, right now. Branagh had a clear vision for the Thor film, adapt some Shakespearean theme into it, and give it some drama. If it were up to Payne, Thor would have been tossing horses in a tantrum all day long. Branagh reined that in and gave what would have been a cheesy movie and gave it substance. We need another director like that...or someone action oriented (so, the story may be light, but if with enough action, it could at least be enjoyable as a popcorn flick).

Old 08-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #83
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Quote:
At the same time, we also do not know whether or not there will be numerous re-writes. They could just say, "wow, Don, this comedy set in Asgard is brilliant, let's shoot it scene by scene".
Yes, but given Marvels history, that scenario is not likely

Quote:
And since there is no stellar director from the ones being rumored to be in contention to be the director of Thor 2 (except Yates),
there are three or four names on that list that are able to make incredible movies... Jones alone is probably one of the most imaginative directors at the moment. He just hasn't done anything big, budget wise.

Quote:
I am not so convinced that it's a good thing, right now. Branagh had a clear vision for the Thor film, adapt some Shakespearean theme into it, and give it some drama.
Most of the directors on that list have proven to posses clear visions. Out of that list, Yates is probably the only one who is more a hired gun. Judging by the last 4 Potter movies alone.

Quote:
If it were up to Payne, Thor would have been tossing horses in a tantrum all day long. Branagh reined that in and gave what would have been a cheesy movie and gave it substance.
There is absolutely nothing that indicates that none of those directors listed is able to give it "substance". Wright is more than capable to give it "substance", Jones is all about "substance", heck Yates gave the worst Potter book "substance" which was a miracle itself. Joss Whedon is the one who has to prove he can do more than teenage melodrama, but I hope he's doing it right now with Avengers.

Quote:
We need another director like that...or someone action oriented (so, the story may be light, but if with enough action, it could at least be enjoyable as a popcorn flick).
Again, don't underestimate most of the names on that list. There are great directors on that list and Marvel has a history of casting the best man for the job. There were quiet a few people who hated the choice of Branagh for Thor based on his work on Frankenstein, who hated the choice of Johnston for Cap based on JP3 & Wolfman, who hated the choice of Favreau based on Elf and the choice of Leterrier based on whatever brainless Statham movie he did before TIH, but had to admit they were wrong when the movies came out...

ZWERG/ELF

Old 08-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #84
Aeltri
Elf in Training

Quote:
Nah. Thor needs more action. An ass-kicking elf is what it needs. No reason why Malekit can't be "kung-fu fighting" AND be a glib sorcerer at the same time. This is the movies. Not a direct translation from comics. Some artistic license is in order.
So the general audience has one more reason to think that he's a knockoff of Nuada? No thanks. To give you a better idea he is similar to Loki in that he can wield a spear and fight moderately well, but his forte is magic. You can't change that without altering who he is and what he is all about. If he is hard pressed to fight against a superior foe he can become a stream of mist (ala Death Eater), disappear into the shadows or shapechange into an armored giant and win through brute force. I think a display of his magical abilities should be impressive enough, there is no need to turn him into a ninja .

Last edited by Aeltri; 08-03-2011 at 04:09 PM.
Aeltri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #85
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeltri View Post
So the general audience has one more reason to think that he's a knockoff of Nuada? No thanks. To give you a better idea he is similar to Loki in that he can wield a spear and fight moderately well, but his forte is magic. You can't change that without altering who he is and what he is all about. If he is hard pressed to fight against a superior foe he can become a stream of mist (ala Death Eater), disappear into the shadows or shapechange into an armored giant and win through brute force. I think a display of his magical abilities should be impressive enough, there is no need to turn him into a ninja .
Then he will just be another clone of Loki.

There really is nothing wrong with adding another trait to a character. And an ass kicker is as good as any other additional trait. Only the most anal-retentive person (someone who is obsessed with the littlest detail) will mind it's inclusion. It's not like I am suggesting to alter his persona drastically. No. Just adding fighting ability to his resume. That's all.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #86
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Hythlodeus View Post
Yes, but given Marvels history, that scenario is not likely

there are three or four names on that list that are able to make incredible movies... Jones alone is probably one of the most imaginative directors at the moment. He just hasn't done anything big, budget wise.

Most of the directors on that list have proven to posses clear visions. Out of that list, Yates is probably the only one who is more a hired gun. Judging by the last 4 Potter movies alone.

There is absolutely nothing that indicates that none of those directors listed is able to give it "substance". Wright is more than capable to give it "substance", Jones is all about "substance", heck Yates gave the worst Potter book "substance" which was a miracle itself. Joss Whedon is the one who has to prove he can do more than teenage melodrama, but I hope he's doing it right now with Avengers.

Again, don't underestimate most of the names on that list. There are great directors on that list and Marvel has a history of casting the best man for the job. There were quiet a few people who hated the choice of Branagh for Thor based on his work on Frankenstein, who hated the choice of Johnston for Cap based on JP3 & Wolfman, who hated the choice of Favreau based on Elf and the choice of Leterrier based on whatever brainless Statham movie he did before TIH, but had to admit they were wrong when the movies came out...

I am not underestimating them. I checked each and everyone of them at box office mojo, and none of them, except for Yates, has directed hit movies. Sure, one of them (Duncan Jones) directed the Source Code, and granted, it's a critical success. And given the budget, it made money. But the overall gross is not that huge to be considered a blockbuster. However, i suppose, he can also be a good choice.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #87
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick

Any thoughts on WOLFGANG PETERSEN as a possible Thor2 director? Remember that scene from Troy where Achilles (Brad Pitt) stormed the beach of Troy leading to the Temple of Apollo? Now picture that scene, but instead of Achilles, it's Thor fighting his way through an army of Trolls, Frost Giants and Dark Elves. Epic.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #88
MARVEL ROCKS
Side-Kick

Thor Freudenthal

MARVEL ROCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 PM   #89
BobbyCorwin88

I'm not really sure who to go with, but I do feel like they can improve over Branagh. I don't know if it was his decision, or his Directory of Photography, but that film used so many dutch angles it hurt. I know that might seem like a petty thing to bring up, and maybe I only notice it because I'm in film school, but it was so hard for me to focus on the events taking place when every other shot was tilted across the frame. It was just annoying.

The DOP is the guy who builds that kind of stuff, but directors do have say on what kind of shot they're going for.

BobbyCorwin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #90
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVEL ROCKS View Post
Thor Freudenthal
um...why?

moral decay
DarkSovereignty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 PM   #91
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Brian Kirk is in early negotiations to helm "Thor 2" for Marvel Studios and Disney, which will bring Chris Hemsworth's hammer-wielding superhero back to the bigscreen for his next adventure after "The Avengers."
The Irish helmer is best known for directing episodes of HBO's "Game of Thrones," "Boardwalk Empire" and "Luck," as well as Showtime's "Dexter" and BBC's "Luther" and its upcoming "Great Expectations." "Thor 2" would mark his directorial debut on a big-budget Hollywood tentpole.

Kirk rose to the top of the list of directors vying for the job after he showed his abilities to juggle large ensembles of thesps and complex storylines in his TV projects, while also grounding the fantasy genre via his work on "Thrones." The "Thor" sequel is expected to feature a large cast of Aasgardians and creatures in the Norse mythology-set world.

Film already is skedded for release on July 26, 2013. Disney was eager to put the pic on its schedule after "Thor" collected $447 million at the worldwide box office, and the character proves a central figure in "The Avengers."

Although invited back to direct Hemsworth in another "Thor," Kenneth Branagh opted not to return.

Don Payne, who co-wrote "Thor," is tackling the sequel. He also scripted Fox's "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."

Production began last month of "Great Expectations," BBC's three-part adaptation of Charles Dickens' novel. Project, penned by Sarah Phelps, stars Ray Winstone, Gillian Anderson, Douglas Booth, Izzy Meikle-Small and Vanessa Kirby.

A number of other helmers had been considered for the "Thor" sequel, including Drew Goddard ("Cabin in the Woods"), James McTeigue ("Ninja Assassin"), Noam Murro ("300: Battle of Artemesia") and Breck Eisner ("The Crazies").

Other helmers are also being eyed should Kirk's deal not go through.

A Marvel Studios spokesperson declined to comment.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118040898

Mark Strong as Sinestro
Blake Lively as Carol Ferris
HighFivingMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #92
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Brian Kirk is a.... leftfield choice. While I enjoyed what I've seen of GoT so far, I have no idea which episodes he created and I doubt I've seen anything else he made...

But, speculating based on the director choice, it sure looks like Thor 2 may take place more in the other 8 realms than in Midgard

ZWERG/ELF

Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #93
Silvermoth
Avenger

Wow Kirk actually seems...good! A very unusual choice but that's a good thing! I hope if he gets the job he'll give the sequel a bit more texture than the last movie.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #94
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Patty Jenkins is confirmed right?

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #95
Silvermoth
Avenger

She's being considered at the moment. She hasn't got the job yet.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #96
04nbod
I need to debrief you

They really shouldn't be letting anything out to the trades unless its going to happen. It could very easily look like Marvel is scaring away the talent and want a puppet director rather than a creator.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 AM   #97
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Do you guys/girls thiink we'll have anything announced at NYCC?

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #98
R_Hythlodeus
Nerd Supreme

Probably to soon, but it is possible. It might depend on what else Marvel has in store for NYCC besides the Avengers trailer

ZWERG/ELF

Old 09-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #99
The Morningstar
Banned User

I doubt there will be anything on Thor 2 at NYCC. It'll be Avengers and maybe some other surprises (Dr Strange? Iron Fist?)

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #100
bubbadoom
Side-Kick

I hear THOR 2 starts shooting next May...

bubbadoom is offline   Reply With Quote