Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #51
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Default Re: The Tennis Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica001 View Post
Where is Sarapoa?
Huh?

If you're talking about Maria Sharapova she's probably doing some modeling, planning her wedding, or some such crap until the US Open series begins.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #52
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

So I thought I'd share this tennis story with you guys.

I had to work today because our divisions VP was visiting the office. Anyway, I know the guy fairly well, but for the first time we got to talking about tennis. I mentioned how I was getting my backhand under control and my first serve was becoming a weapon. So he asked me to play him this afternoon. He actually left our office without so much as a criticism. I left early and of course he was like 45 minutes late to the court then made me wait another 15 minutes while he was on the phone.

We played outside even though indoor courts were available to him. This 58 year old man beat my arse all over the court. After taking the first two sets 3 and 3, I was ready to get out of the humidity but he insisted on playing best of 5 sets, then he took the third set at 1. I expected the slices and the lobs, but he was so freaking quick and his hands were awesome at net. He served and volleyed throughout and made me look like a fool. He was coming behind every decent shot he hit and I couldn't pass him for nothing. I hit a couple of sublime crosscourt passes with my backhand but most of those he put away with ease. Every shot I needed was missing six inches off the line.

So my 58 year old boss's boss beat me 6-3, 6-3, 6-1.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #53
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Just giving you guys a heads up that the tennis season is about to get back in the swing of things.

Starting next week we have Roger's Cup in Toronto, a Master's event populated by all of the top players. For Djokovic and Nadal, there first matches since Championship Sunday. For Federer, he's first match in about four weeks since he played in Davis Cup singles and doubles.

If you're wondering, Mardy Fish won Atlanta, then lost in the finals in L.A. (where he and JMDP were upset by Ernests Gulbis), and the 500 level event is currently being played in D.C.

So we have Toronto, Cincinnati, and the U.S. Open all coming up very quickly. Can Nadal defend New York? Can Federer find his form here in the States again, can Djokovic remain virtually unbeatable in the hottest summer ever where he used to fold? Stay tuned, tennisheads.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:55 AM   #54
harish
New User - Level 0

For more info related US Open Tennis 2011, Schedule, Prize Money and many more visit altiusdirtectory.com
http://www.altiusdirectory.com/Sport...nnis-2011.html

Old 08-11-2011, 01:58 AM   #55
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Montreal update:

Nadal out in his opening match. Dodig served really big and Nadal played poorly enough for it to matter. Nadal had the breaks, but his serve wasn't where it needs to be to compete in these events. Where did the serve go that carried him to the U.S. Open title last year? He needs it if he's going to repeat. This also really hurts his chances of regaining World No. 1 for 2011. He can't lose points going forward, and that's what he did. I think this is his first big opening round upset since Rome like five years ago. Just doesn't happen with Nadal.

Djokovic is going to cruise into the semifinals. This is like Federer from 2004-06 where you can just pencil him into the finals. The only reason I didn't pencil Djokovic into the finals here is due to Federer being in his half.

Federer looked, well, good enough to beat the guy he played today. Tsonga awaits Fed after taking out Bernard Tomic, one of the names to remember in years to come. I fully expect a Federer straight sets win here, or at most a 3-set cruiser. Tsonga's got big power but he'll need another too sweet streak of hitting to top Federer's variety again.

Outside of that, well, the draw has opened up for Mardy Fish. Nadal is out, Andy Murray was destroyed quite easily. It's there for him. Unfortunately for Fish, he's got his L.A. conqueror Ernests Gulbis awaiting him next, possibly Wawrinka in the quarters and he's a better ballstriker, and Berdych looms as a potential semifinal opponent. Fish has less talent than all those guys, but those guys are famous for not living up to the talent. So Mardy McFish, please make the finals.

But yeah, a Djokovic-Federer semifinal would be great and a blockbuster contest given Federer being the 1 in Djokovic's 48-1 record and also thwarting what should have been a surefire Calendar Slam for the Serb.

Last edited by Sakuraba; 08-11-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #56
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

It's a great game. Been playing since I was a little kid, been playing well since I was 14.

The best part of this heat wave here in the U.S. is that the public courts are totally empty. Nobody wants to get out there and have a heatstroke.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #57
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Djokovic-Cilic has been decent. Both men cruising on serve until Cilic got tight serving at 5-6, 30-0. Losing the last two points on unforced errors.

And that's the benefit of being the King. The lesser players will give it to you most of the time.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #58
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Two games and Federer looks a little tight. Still very good and coming to net a LOT early on. He has that look on his face. I don't know how to describe it, I guess it's a "this is a match I must win" look of determination and nervousness. VERY similar to his demeanor in the Berdych match last year in Toronto after Berdych beat him in the Wimbledon QFs.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #59
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Federer dumps what should have been an easy forehand drop shot into the net.

2-2

His backhand is looking better than his forehand right now.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #60
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Both men serving very well. Federer holds for 3-2.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #61
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

already about 6 or 7 unforced errors on the forehand side for Fed

Old 08-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #62
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

3-3, deuce on Fed's serve. His first serve is saving him because Tsonga is running the rallies. The vaulted Federer forehand has been a fisherman's dream thus far.

Fed takes the game with a massive crosscourt forehand pass. That was his best shot of the match and he made it on the run without thinking too much about it. Maybe some insight into his mental state in this match.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #63
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Tsonga tries to serve and volley and Federer passes him on the backhand side this time.

quickly 0-30 as Federer hits forehand in the air for a down the line pass.

some big serves and timely federer backhand shanks allow jo-wily to stave off break point and hold for 4-4

Easy hold for Federer. 5-4. ESPN3 is usually better quality than this. This coverage makes it hard to track the ball sometimes.

Both men get through some dicey service games. 6-5, Tsonga serving to force a tiebreak.

set point for federer...

and two aces for Tsonga.

federer tries to run around a backhand but isn't quick enough. And Tsonga slaps a backhand down the line and it's tiebreak time.

Tsonga takes the tiebreak at 7-3 and the first set with it. Pretty easy stuff for Tsonga. He rips Federer's second serve and played cleaner. Federer needs to clean up his game and maintain the first serve % if he wants to make it through.

Last edited by Sakuraba; 08-11-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #64
Harley2004
Side-Kick

Novak Djokovic is apparently a machine. I wonder if he will or if he can get tired in this master series.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #65
Sebastos
Bebop User

There's no stopping Nole.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 08-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #66
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

-Nadal's confidence is in the toilets thanks in large part to Djokovic shellacking him in five finals this year.

-Federer's got the severe shanks on both sides thanks in large part to being enfeebled. He isn't winning tiebreaks or game points because of it.

-Andy Murray is a male British tennis player. So yeah.

That means that Djokovic is in full-on cruise mode. He's not doing anything spectacular right now. He hasn't had to since, I dunno, Rome? Right now it's the Big One. Forget about Big Four or Three. There's only Djokovic now.

We need Nadal to get his head right and stop acting so emo. Losing to Mardy Fish in Cincy is one thing, but letting Fercrappo Verdasco nearly beat him is alarming and needing seven match points to finish the dude off is a RED FLAG. Winning the big points is basically Nadal's superpower in tennis. He bedeviled a prime Federer by winning every single break point he had or faced. Now he's shanking his forehand and his backhand can't be trusted in crunch time. He needs a Federer 2008 moment. Forget about the year, forget about your rival that's taken your No. 1 ranking and been blasting you all year, forget about crappy performances in Canada and Cincinnati. Go into New York as the defending champion, have some fun, and treat the lesser players like they are the lesser players. Oh, and bring back the 130mph serve that you sold your soul to the devil to hit last year.

You know who else needs a Federer 2008 moment... Roger Federer. He needs a good draw devoid of anyone such as Berdych, Tsonga, del Potro, or Soderling in his quarter. He needs a David Ferrer or Gael Monfils to meet him at that stage. From there I think he can give Djokovic the best match anyone can give him at this time. But can he make the semifinals?

Andy Murray. I just hope you get past Mardy McFish and get a chance to rematch Djokovic from that epic in Rome.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #67
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

I went to the Western & Southern open on sunday. I saw Sharapove and Nadal both practice. I was actually within 20 feet of Nadal the whole time.

I was shocked to see him and Federer BOTH lose today!

Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 AM   #68
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I am sad to say that I wasn't surprised because a) Nadal had been shockingly inconsistent in the matches with Dodig and Versucko, while Mardy Fish has been playing winning tennis during the USO, and b) Berdych is a bad match up for Federer recently and historically.

I hope these guys get it together for the US Open because they are the only ones that can give Djokovic a stiff test, and I think Djokovic is owed a proper rematch of Federer following the French Open.

Something to look out for is Andy Murray's opportunity. He can beat Federer and has beaten a prime Nadal at the US Open in the past. He gave Djokovic his second most difficult match of the year in Rome. Wouldn't it be something if Murray won his first Slam while beating a record seeking, streaking Novak Djokovic? It might be better for Murray to lose to McFish tomorrow and avoid Djokovic until the Open.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #69
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

That was vintage Djokovic right there. He quit before he ever stepped on the court.

Old 08-25-2011, 02:26 AM   #70
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I want some U.S. Open picks from you guys!

Old 08-25-2011, 02:43 AM   #71
Lomexray
Banned User

Tennis is a well-liked sport all over the world. Tennis generate new connection between nerves in the brain. Tennis helpful in weight loss.

--------------------------------------------
9 yards silk cotton saree

Old 08-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #72
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Yeah... alright then.

So the draws are out... and what do you know?

Djokovic and Federer in the same half AGAIN. I'm starting to believe the conspiracy theorists now. I mean, what are the odds?

So what do we have? The Quarters:

1. Djokovic is our top seed and Monfils is the next highest seed. You've got Berdych, Dodig, Dolgopolov, and well not much. The usual Djokovic whipping boys. This is a dream quarter for Djokovic.

2. Federer is the top seed and the next highest seed is Mardy McFish. Sorry but I do not buy Fish as a legitimate five set threat to Federer, particularly at the USO. The name that does jump out is Jo Wily Tsonga, the man that has bested Federer twice recently, once at Wimbledon in the most casual two-sets to love comeback you'll ever see, and then in Toronto when be blew the greatest ever off the courts in the third set. However, Tsonga's arm apparantly died or something in that match, so he could be an early exit. It looks like a Fed-Fish quarterfinal match. Look at for Thomas de Bakker in the second round against Fish though. Big hitter.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:27 PM   #73
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Nadal didn't draw Federer, but he sure got everyone else!

3. Murray. Deliciano Lopez looms as a fourth round opponent. He doesn't have any chance against the Scot, but it's a fun rivalry because of Mother Cougar. The more likely scenario would be Stan Wawrinka, who has a grand slam win over Murray. Still, I like Murray into the quarter where he will lose to... Gilles Simon? Yes, the frustrating Frenchman. Juan Munster Del Potro has been a BIG disappointment in the USO series after his epic with Nadal at Wimbledon. Robin Soderling is a question mark. Simon, baby.

4. Nadal. Ljubucic is there early, after playing a very nice match against Nadal at Wimby, maybe the finest net rushing game you'll see in the modern era. Not much preventing Nadal from making QFs besides his demons. The frightening name for Nadal is David Ferrer. Twice Nadal conqueror on Grand Slam hardcourts, most recently the Aussie Open.

So let's move this along to its natural conclusion.

Djokovic loses to Federer.
Murray bests David Ferrer.

Murray defeats Federer.

Say what?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #74
Bim
Side-Kick

I dont think Murray defeats Federer, but then again this game is unpredictable and Federer isnt as unbeatable as he was some years ago.

As far as the men go, i'll go the safe route and say we'll see Nadal and Djokovic in the final and whoever plays best that day will win

I do wonder if the start of the Open will be affected due to hurricane Irene though.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p

Last edited by Bim; 08-26-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #75
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

So apparently Novak Djokovic has been spending his days in a giant pressurized egg.