The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #926
Frico
Live by the creed

Default Re: The Tennis Thread - Part 2

I absolutely loved how the majority of people and "experts" were shocked by the fact that Serbia didn't put Novak in the doubles today against the US/Bryans and thought for sure USA had it in the bag. Then 5 hours later WHAM! the biggest and second Davis Cup upset happens to the Bryan bros and the biggest surprise of the day comes when Zimonjic and Bozoljac get the win.

Was really an epic match.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #927
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

How are the courts playing in Boise?

Old 04-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #928
Frico
Live by the creed

Courier mentioned they were fast to benefit the big servers. But that didn't help Isner yesterday against Novak and although the doubles went 5 Zimonjic served INCREDIBLY well. Especially when it came to closing the match and they were down 15-40. Yet, he held his nerve like a true pro and aced it out to end it.

I do it because of a reckless bat. I do it because it's justice for my parents. I do it because no one else will. But most of all...I do it because I have to. - Batman

Old 04-06-2013, 09:16 PM   #929
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I guess a good fast indoor hardcourt is the best you can do when you've got a guy in Isner whose only chance is to serve lights out. He's terrible at net, doesn't do well playing low skidding balls. So let him have a controlled environment (which, incidentally, is where the Swiss screwed up last year against USA with that god awful indoor clay court.) But why Boise? Isner fades in every five set match he's in, why put him at altitude?

I see final line, the Bryan Bros didn't go out easy. Davis Cup has been delivering some big time killer matches this year.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:22 PM   #930
Frico
Live by the creed

Isner had an incredible amount of errors from the net and the baseline. It really wasn't a great showing.

And most definitely. Canada just beat Italy 15-13 in the fifth! It'll be awesome if both Novak and Milos can close out their ties. Hometown heroes.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:10 AM   #931
Frico
Live by the creed

Amazing and historic win for Raonic and Canada. They're into their first ever semi in a Davis Cup and will play Serbia after Novak beasted Querry 6-1 6-0 in the third and fourth.

Raonic beat Seppi in four.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #932
Frico
Live by the creed

LOL, Wawrinka, who just hired Magnus Norman as his new coach went beast mode on Murray 6-1 6-2. That's huge for a guy a lot of people know can tangle with the big four and Murray's time on clay continues to be a tough one.

With the loss Murray will already lose the number 2 ranking and Fed will regain it.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #933
Frico
Live by the creed

Novak SNAPS Rafa's 8 year streak at the Monte Carlo Rolex Masters 6-2 7-6 to win his first title there. Amazing performance from Nole...you had a feeling this meeting was going to be different when Novak was 5-0 up. He played like the number one player in the world today. Beast.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #934
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I thought the most interesting aspect of that final was Nadal's reaction to it. He was jokey, conciliatory, and all around in a great mood. It's almost as though he lost to Federer, only without the hero worship.

I imagine the fact that he beat Djokovic in the previous three meetings, all on clay and a French Open final, had a lot to do with him being all smiles afterward. You also have Nadal probably happy just to be back and playing amazingly well after sitting on the shelf through the previous three seasons.

The important takeaway for me is that Djokovic was hitting his down the line backhand with authority, and he continued to be aggressive with that shot even when he was misfiring. Nadal, I think avoided a grind it out baseline derby as Djokovic had a noticeable up tick in outright winners. I would imagine that Nadal will avoid the hella long rallies with Djokovic until Paris, to protect his knee, but I would like to see him play more aggressive shot selections and less like a 90% version of himself.

We shall see if the old, paranoid Nadal returns if Djokovic sweeps him in Madrid and Rome. Will he still be all smiles, knowing that he's holding back, or will old paranoia creep into his mind if Djokovic keeps beating him on dirt?

Murray can't move on clay. The other big three are able to slide easily and turn defense into offense as natural as breathing. Murray is unable to slide. He seldom slides into his shots, he slides late. His backhand is his biggest weapon next to his first serve, but he is reduced to a floating slice far too often on clay. That's why a guy like Wawrinka can get hot and blast Murray off the court. If he could embrace the slide like Nadal and Djokovic, who have no issues hitting improbable two-handers all day, then he could be a threat on dirt with his fitness and topspin game. But that's probably not going to happen at this point. Nadal learned to move on grass in his late teens. Murray is mid-career and even grew up playing a lot on clay.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #935
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

And Dimitrov downs Djokovic in Madrid. I can't wait to watch this match later

Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #936
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

It makes me laugh that the crowd turned strong against Djokovic when he took that medical timeout. The man will never be a fan favorite anywhere

Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #937
Frico
Live by the creed

As soon as they started chanting "Dimitrov" and cheering when Novak faulted it was like Grigor was the number 1. I read a funny comment that said the only reason the crowd was against Novak was because he took their man down in Monte Carlo, lol.

Honestly though Dimitrov's been the only young player consistently knocking on the doors of guys like Novak, Rafa, and Murray. Plenty of chances in those past encounters but each and everytime we saw a flash of future brilliance even when in defeat. And after his match against Rafa at MC you had a feeling it was going to happen sooner rather than later. "Baby Federer" stepped up. Big time.

The match was terrific and the end celebration was great. The emotion from Grigor and the "I love you dad." was a nice moment. Hopefully he backs this up against Wawrinka tomorrow who by the way is also being coached by Magnus Norman. Imagine...Wawrinka took out Ferrer last week in the Portugal final and Grigor takes out the world no. 1. Norman who also coached the one guy to ever beat Nadal at the French, Soderling. He's got two amazing talents now.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:01 PM   #938
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Yeah, I saw that comment on tennis.com, I'm sure that's the exact reason the crowd turned on Djokovic. Just like they've done in Paris, New York, and elsewhere multiple times. He's just not a fan favorite, he never will be. Too long a history of retiring and tanking matches. Another big issue for his likability is the way he expresses himself on court. There's just something off about it. It feels very self-centered. Nadal can get away with it because he involves the crowd and it doesn't feel forced. Federer is pretty stoic but even at like the US Open in 2008, when he was hooting and hollering after every winner, the crowd ate it up because they knew he was hungry.

I don't think Djokovic is a jerk. He just needs to learn to present himself better. He'll leave a ton of money on the table unless he does.

Dimitrov looked fantastic. His growth this season has been the most exciting thing on tour since Djokovic's winning streak. He's having to hit a ton of great shots, Djokovic made him work. The guy's first serve is a legitimate weapon, his second serve is no liability, he has a huge forehand, he can scramble, and he has a lot of versatility in power and spin off his backhand wing. He's a lot of fun to watch, here's hoping he can keep improving his conditioning.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #939
Frico
Live by the creed

WOW, Nishikori.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #940
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Who could have guessed Nadal's return would have gone this well. Seven tournaments, seven finals, five wins, two Masters. Just incredible and a testament to how smart he and Uncle Toni were in breaking him back in during the South America clay swing.

I wonder what Federer's motivation is going into Rome. He really hasn't made any huge effort to win there in a few years, but he needs match play on clay and in general with his lengthy layoff. He was a mess against Nishikori, and who knows where his mind is going into a French Open that he has a slim chance of winning. The bright side is that he won't be the 2 seed. It's actually a good thing since he is guaranteed not to face Nadal until the finals, he's beaten Djokovic in Paris, and Murray is a terrible clay courter. Be chance for Federer would be to draw Murray and pray for a knockdown drag out semi with Rafa/Novak. It'll be awesome either way, but here's to hoping that Rafa and Djokovic end up on separate sides of the draw.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #941
Frico
Live by the creed

Just a recap of thoughts on the last few days:

Murray looked absolutely pathetic against Granollers. Glad he retired...Marcel was playing good ball though. I was surprised when he retired but he mentioned a back injury and that he most likely isn't playing the French. Or maybe he just realized "**** it, I suck on clay anyway."

I have no idea what happend to Novak today. 6-2 5-2 in the second against Berdych. Cake walk right? Noooooo, Berdych woke up from his power nap. I couldn't believe the come back. He upped his game and didn't look back. Novak looked all out of sorts and Berdych finally snapped his losing streak against him. Incredible.

Gulbis...59 winners against Rafa who had only 13. This was his match to win. He was on god mode during the first set. The power coming off his raquet was impressive, especially the backhand side which he used wonderfully like Novak in the MC final. But, 50 unforced errors. 50. Rafa didn't "beat" Gulbis. Gulbis beat himself. Nadal got lucky and Gulbis is still having a tremendous year regardless. Can only keep growing.

Happy Paire is into his first semi. The french are truly amazing. (Two in the top 10) He's the type of character the game needs today and beyond and he has a huge game to back it up. McEnroe thinks he has the biggest backhand atm. It certainly looks like it from time to time. Loved what I saw against Delpo and he took Granollers to the woodshed. (6-1 6-0) Still think we're getting a Rafa/Fed final.

Janowicz looked impressive against Fed in their first meeting and Fed knew he was a tough customer. He made some poor choices though, especially on set point in the second. Still a good experience for him but Fed was Fed in the end. Between Janowicz, Dimitrov, Raonic, Goffin, I think the future is in good hands.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:32 PM   #942
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I thought Nadal had made the appropriate response to Gulbis's claim to being the better player on the day, which he had also said when Nadal defeated him back in Indian Wells. I was really impressed by Nadal's response. Too often he is either borderline sycophant to other players or a whiny a-hole. He found a perfect balance of a) acknowledging Gulbis's talent, b) smacking him down politely enough, and c) giving him some constructive advice. Why it was Federer-like, only without the insult humor. As for Gulbis's chances in Paris, I'm not sold on Gulbis. He still has the same mental issues and the five set format is his enemy.

I concur about us getting a Rafa/Roge final in Rome, which is a neat match not just because its these two guys playing again, but their history in Rome. It was their 2006 final that basically put the final nail in the coffin of five set finals for Masters events. I still believe that decision is a travesty.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #943
Frico
Live by the creed

At best I see Gulbis in the second/third round of RG. At best. Or maybe I'm thinking too high...

And Rafa/Fed and Serena/Vika will make a good popcorn Sunday.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #944
TMC1982
Side-Kick

U.S. OPEN TENNIS TO GO ALL-CABLE THROUGH ESPN

Starting in 2015, the U.S. Open will become an all-cable affair. CBS' association with the event dating back to 1968 will end in 2014. ESPN announced the contract earlier today and SBJ's John Ourand reports that the deal is worth than $770 million for 11 years, meaning that the U.S. Open will remain on the ESPN family of networks well into the next decade.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #945
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frico View Post
At best I see Gulbis in the second/third round of RG. At best. Or maybe I'm thinking too high...

And Rafa/Fed and Serena/Vika will make a good popcorn Sunday.
It'll all depend on his draw as he'll be unseeded. He could definitely wreck somebody, but he could flame out early again.

The Rome final is set. Federer's playing pretty well, so it should be competitive.

I don't think the US Open moving to ESPN for the weekends and semis is good for tennis in the U.S.

Tennis has already lost any mainstream traction it once had in the States and now it'll just be another sport showing on the sports channel. Oh well. I'm still nostalgic for the coverage on USA Network, it's just another change for the worse.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #946
Frico
Live by the creed

That was a good showing from Paire against Fed and he had his chances, especially in the first set. This was also better then their last two matches. Hopefully Paire can build on this heading into the French.

But really, we all couldn't have asked for a better blockbuster Sunday. The Gods and Goddesses of the game clash in the eternal city. I'm going to be biased and say I'd like to see Rafa and Vika win. lol

Old 05-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #947
Frico
Live by the creed

Serena was scary today. My poor Vika. SW the clear favorite heading into Roland Garros with a 24 match win streak. That was dessert. Time for the main course...Rafa/Fed!!!

Old 05-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #948
Frico
Live by the creed

Wow.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:33 AM   #949
Frico
Live by the creed

Not the final we all wanted and Fed didn't show up today. Nadal too good. Would love a Nole/Rafa final for Roland Garros.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:07 PM   #950
Frico
Live by the creed

Hmm, so both Murray and Delpo withdrew from the French. Really looking forward to seeing the draw.

Closed Thread