Don't drop the soap!

Default Re: The Tennis Thread - Part 2

U.S. Open starts today!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #77
Sebastos
Bebop User

11am, oh yeah.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 09-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #78
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Djokovic flirted with the oh so rare triple bagel tonight. He was broken twice in the third set though, and his opponent never held serve.

Fashion thoughts:

This is the best Djokovic has looked since switching to Sergio Tacchini last year. Check that, this is the best Djokovic has ever looked. Let's take a moment to remember that hideous dragon shirt they had him in last year. *shudders* This is a much classer look for the world #1, as it should be. My one complaint: the mismatched wristbands need to go.

Federer: His crew necks are generally pretty awesome when he decides to ditch the polo, I own the two he wore during the Miami/IW 2-fer, but his fall crews have been meh. I expect stylish and classic details on Fed's gear, but this season's crews come up short. They are way too conservative and just plain generic. Should have kept the contrasting shoulders from earlier designs. His polo for night matches and the new patterns on his Lunar Vapor 8 signature shoes are VERY nice. However, the entire ensemble is destroyed by the obsidian socks he is wearing. White socks would change everything.

Nadal: I don't know what to say about Nadal. His outfits are conservative with a little hint of edge. He was at his best when he wore the sleeveless shirts and the pirate pants. That was his look. Then he tried to copy Federer, then he went into a hideous phase of plaid shorts with striped tops. This year, his gear has been nothing special, no different than anything else in the Nike Store.

To get into the fine details of what doesn't work on his outfit. Well, there are two shades of blue on his shirt. The lighter blue isn't pronounced enough to justify matching wristbands and bandana. It makes Nadal looked mismatched, not accented.

His night ensemble is much better, but it just a white shirt with yellow lines. It's night in New York, you're supposed to wear something dark and classy. Why is Nadal getting the shaft? I think it's high time for Nadal to leave Nike, who are so clearly obsessed with outfitting Federer that Nadal gets the leftovers.

Adidas did a pretty good job with Andy Murray, but they dressed Verdasco and Tsonga the same. What is that all about?

Old 09-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #79
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Adidas Design Team: Hey, this design is really cool... Let's put it on all of our players at the U.S. Open!

Rwaarrrggg! Why didn't I get one too!

OOWWWW! Not having that shirt makes my back hurt!

Old 09-02-2011, 12:41 AM   #80
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

This is the way I want it. Federer completely overdone and pretentious with his cardigan, and Nadal wearing rags and looking horribly uncomfortable having his picture taken.

My arms are really cold.

Stupid socks.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #81
Bim
Side-Kick

Nadal vs Nalbandian happening now. This one should be a heck of a match!

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #82
Sebastos
Bebop User

It's been a great Open, looking forward to week two. Has anyone been following the number of retirements? 14 so far.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 09-04-2011, 03:16 PM   #83
Bim
Side-Kick

Yeah, the amount of retirements has been insane this year. I guess that shows just how tough it is to play a major this time of year, especially on hard court.

I think we would have had another retirement today had Penetta not defeated Peng in two sets, cause she looked near collapse during the match a few times.

Another interesting bit to me has been how the highest seeded women have dropped like flies.

If Jack Bauer joined the Rebel Alliance, 24 hours later there would be no Empire :p
Old 09-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #84
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Tough loss for JMDP. Simon is a bad dude though, and should beat up all over Isner.

A Murray-Young rematch? Who'd have thunk it? Murray was in the pits of a LOSING streak at IW, and Young's about had his fill of success at this tournament. Still, could get ugly given both men's oft wriggling serves.

Could Roddick continue this resurgent miracle run over Ferrer? I don't know. Nadal's praying he does.

Speaking of prayers, I can't imagine Federer feeling too good about Tsonga creeping around the corner. He may not have to face off with the Frenchman due to the Fishman. Tsonga has done so good things this year but he still ain't no winner. Mardy Fish has made that leap and he and Fed would be an awesome QF. Not too many, if any crowds support the guy across the net from Fed but the New Yorkers would be solidly behind Fish and it'll be fun to see Federer in that kind of atmosphere again at the USO.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:34 PM   #85
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Djokovic and Dolgopolov's first set tiebreaker...

Awesome stuff. Watching live I thought the Dog did a good job just slicing away and waiting for Djokovic to overcook a forehand. (And man, when Djoker misses it ain't by much.) Looking back on that tiebreak though, I felt he wasn't aggressive enough. There were times when he could have run around the backhand and nailed an inside forehand. So he basically let the tiebreak rest on Djoker's racquet and that cost him in the end. Djokovic is a frontrunner and the first set was the last opportunity for Dolgopolov. Still, that first set was epic. The men's game has a bright future.

My heart breaks for Mardy McFish. He needed a good showing at the U.S. Open to really put the finishing touches on his rebirth. It didn't happen again. But what a fun match with two contrasting styles. I did feel that the New York crowd let him down. I mean, Americans will chant "USA" at little league games but can't give Fish a significant home field advantage against a FRENCHMAN??? Oh boo, New York.

It's 10:30 in New York and Federer is still waiting to play his match. Wozniacki is about to serve to force a third set against Kuznetsova. It's all there for Federer. He'll beat up Juan Monaco tonight, but then it's Tsonga. That's a huge match for Federer as it pertains to him still being in the elite class. Hopefully he beats Tsonga because he's a far superior match for Djokovic then Tsonga.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #86
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Wozniacki's ability to stay in this match is actually kind of amazing.

Patty Mac and the horrid Chris Evert have pointed out about ten thousand times that Kuznetsova is "on fire" this match, but I disagree. Woz is defending from the third row while Kuz is playing on top of the baseline and getting look after look at Wozniacki's moonballs. She should be putting those away with more consistency. This match has no business being razor close. If Kuznetsova weren't fat and out of shape this match would have been over an hour ago.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #87
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

I badly want to say that Chris Event is the female version of Chris Fowler just on account of her smarmy, snobbish commentary. HOWEVER, she does have some license here as she is one of the three greatest female players ever. Chris Fowler has no tennis background that I am aware of and yet he's talking over and trying to correct luminaries like John McEnroe and Darren Cahill.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #88
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Wozniacki pulls it out. I hope she makes it through to Serena in the SFs. Either she's going to get the biggest validation of her career or more likely she's going to get run.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #89
Bim
Side-Kick

It was a great match, but i went to bed during the third set.... had to work today. Happy to see she pulled through; it was a difficult match.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #90
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

People need to stop crying about putting a roof over Ashe. The US Open is the greatest atmosphere in tennis. Don't turn into another lame fall indoor hardcourt tournament. Rain is just a part of the game. I can't tell you how many matches I've been excited to play only for overcast clouds and lightning to screw it up.

Watching the Federer/Monaco match last night reminded me of when I first started watching tennis back when the USO late nights were on USA Network. Fond memories.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #91
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Muller emerged from the locker room 10 minutes ago, and Nadal is still in the locker room. This is crap on Nadal's part and he should be penalized. I've never seem anything like this. Keep in mind that there is supposed to be multiple delays in the action today due to rain.

Nadal emerges and blames the officials. He says they gave him a minute's notice and he had to tape up.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #92
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Nadal apologized to Muller.

Nadal makes it hard to bring the hate down on him.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM   #93
The Riddler
WITH NEW MATERIAL

dang rain!

muller up first set; roddick too, before the rain again.

If Kmack > the rest of you.
And Riddler > Kmack
Does that mean Riddler = God?
Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 AM   #94
TLH
Hypnotized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
People need to stop crying about putting a roof over Ashe. The US Open is the greatest atmosphere in tennis. Don't turn into another lame fall indoor hardcourt tournament. Rain is just a part of the game. I can't tell you how many matches I've been excited to play only for overcast clouds and lightning to screw it up.
They need to put a roof over Ashe that way at least one court can continue the tournament if rain renders all other courts impossible play on. The forecast at Flushing Meadows for next few days is rain, rain, rain. This tournament could run a whole week behind by the time the rain lets up. That's unacceptable and a professional sporting event should always have contingency plans in effect if this happens. So I say install a retractable roof over Ashe, that way you can avoid undermining the "outdoor atmosphere" you tout so highly, but still continue play.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #95
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Well, looks like Muller is going to do what most tennis players do when they lose a close first set to either Nadal or Serena Williams: lie down and give up for the rest of the match. Damn it. I really hope someone takes down that Popeye-armed, steroid-pumping doofus.

Maybe he'll get back pain again and crawl under the table in the post-game press conference. I'm glad at least Wozniacki wasn't afraid to make fun of him for that.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #96
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Also, I'm glad to see Andy Murray appears to be crushing Donald Young's U.S. Open dreams. I have nothing against the kid, but it's been really annoying seeing McEnroe and all of the other commentators act like Young is the only American in the tournament. Young better not buy into all of that hype too quickly, or else he'll disappear faster than you can say Melanie Oudin.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #97
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Well, looks like Muller is going to do what most tennis players do when they lose a close first set to either Nadal or Serena Williams: lie down and give up for the rest of the match. Damn it. I really hope someone takes down that Popeye-armed, steroid-pumping doofus.

Maybe he'll get back pain again and crawl under the table in the post-game press conference. I'm glad at least Wozniacki wasn't afraid to make fun of him for that.
I think it was leg cramps that brought him down, not back pain. Still, I felt bad for him when I saw him in so much pain.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #98
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Pain is a part of the sport. The way he acted though was flat-out bizarre.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #99
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLH View Post
They need to put a roof over Ashe that way at least one court can continue the tournament if rain renders all other courts impossible play on. The forecast at Flushing Meadows for next few days is rain, rain, rain. This tournament could run a whole week behind by the time the rain lets up. That's unacceptable and a professional sporting event should always have contingency plans in effect if this happens. So I say install a retractable roof over Ashe, that way you can avoid undermining the "outdoor atmosphere" you tout so highly, but still continue play.
Unless you have a magic wand to make it happen, the retractable roof will cost $300M by the USTA's estimate, and that money will likely come from... the USTA. Which has about a thousand other areas where they need to spend the money rather than a roof over Ashe. They wouldn't get public financing, and even if they could I would never support that option for any sporting facility.

My point here is people need to deal. This wouldn't be the first Monday final. The weather delay has actually set up a very interesting final few days for this USO.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:53 PM   #100
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Man, I hope Roddick pulls this off today. I still think that he's one of the best players around when he keeps his cool and doesn't allow silly things to set him off. Definitely one of the best servers in the game. Also pulling for Isner.