The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: When will Fox announce the sequel?
- When FC reaches $200M in the Foreign market 2 9.09%
- With the final worldwide gross 2 9.09%
- After DVD release, with the great sales 12 54.55%
- After The Wolverine release and first weeks gross 2 9.09%
- Later 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2011, 07:17 AM   #26
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Default Re: When do you think Fox will announce the sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
In my opinion, Deadpool is far off now. If FC hasn't been a hugeeee hit like they had hoped then what is the chance of Deadpool being a hit ?
With Deadpool, one option is to keep the budget really low. It's also likely to be called X-Men Origins: Deadpool to tie it to the franchise.

The other option is to make it more of an X-Men flick with wider appeal. The leaked script already included Colossus.

Quote:
The Wolverine is coming out next for sure and I feel they will do X-men Second class and Third class and finish its story arc then they can move on to X4 and X5. Storm can get older cos she was older in the comic anyway. Hugh Jackman aged well so I don't see a problem. Don't forget that Anna, Ben and even Aaron are more popular than ever
Seems logical but it all depends on the box office performance of whatever they do next. They've never been willing to commit to several films and plan a structure for the entire franchise.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:21 AM   #27
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

If there is another one, I'd fully expect it to follow in the path of G.I. Joe 2 and only have 2 or 3 actors (at the most) returning.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #28
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
If there is another one, I'd fully expect it to follow in the path of G.I. Joe 2 and only have 2 or 3 actors (at the most) returning.
IIRC, all or almost all of the actors are contractually obligated to do three movies should FOX so choose to make sequels. And even if they weren't obligated, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender's enthusiasm for the movie would ensure at least THEIR return (McAvoy in particular has come off as just as desperate for a sequel as the rest of us). Keep them and Jennifer Lawrence and beyond that I don't care. I'd actually love it if January Jones couldn't be back for the next one, she put a damper on every scene she was in.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:04 AM   #29
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueserenity View Post
IIRC, all or almost all of the actors are contractually obligated to do three movies should FOX so choose to make sequels. And even if they weren't obligated, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender's enthusiasm for the movie would ensure at least THEIR return (McAvoy in particular has come off as just as desperate for a sequel as the rest of us). Keep them and Jennifer Lawrence and beyond that I don't care. I'd actually love it if January Jones couldn't be back for the next one, she put a damper on every scene she was in.
All the G.I. Joe actors had a multi-picture contract too, and yet only 3 of them are coming back. Contracts can, and regularly are, torn apart in this business.

Showing enthusiasm doing the press-junkets doesn't mean anything either. Just ask Shia LaBeouf who talked up how great Indiana Jones 4, Transformers 2 and Wall Street 2 were and a year later, openly-talked up how bad they were.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #30
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
All the G.I. Joe actors had a multi-picture contract too, and yet only 3 of them are coming back. Contracts can, and regularly are, torn apart in this business.

Showing enthusiasm doing the press-junkets doesn't mean anything either. Just ask Shia LaBeouf who talked up how great Indiana Jones 4, Transformers 2 and Wall Street 2 were and a year later, openly-talked up how bad they were.
Fair enough. But I will say that at least McAvoy's enthusiasm seems rather genuine. From what I've read he's seen the movie at least three times on his own dime, and in an interview admitted he had spent 50$ on seeing it. That's more than I'VE spent on it.

Also I think if they couldn't secure the two leads for a sequel they wouldn't make it at all. Fassbender and McAvoy are what make the movie so good.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #31
merbass
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=X-Maniac;20784995]With Deadpool, one option is to keep the budget really low. It's also likely to be called X-Men Origins: Deadpool to tie it to the franchise.

The other option is to make it more of an X-Men flick with wider appeal. The leaked script already included Colossus.

Doing and X-men origins on the character that appeared in the dreadful movie on a spin off, which at the time was planned to include other spin offs eg Deadpool, First class. Doing X-men origins on popular characters such as Storm, Emma Frost or Cyclops seem to make much more sense to me.

Last edited by merbass; 07-05-2011 at 10:06 AM.
merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #32
merbass
Side-Kick

Quote:

GI Joe actors were not memorable and the movie was soo bad. It would nor be wise to not have James, Michael, Jennifer (3 of the hot stars) and other up and coming supporting characters back. Thrown in 1 or 2 big names as villains. It could work in the same formula as X2 with some characters injured or killed etc.

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #33
Angamb
Banned User

I think we'll be getting rumours, quotes from crew and cast and more during the next months, and after the dvd gets released, Fox will finally make an official announcement.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #34
DarkKnight88
Side-Kick

Its box office gross was obviously a disappointment. It won't even reach the gross of the first film and that's without inflation. Fox is waiting to see how the DVD/bluray sales are before they make an announcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
who said the domestic gross is what matter the most?
Usually for greenlighting a sequel it does. Some examples of movies that had plans for a franchise and did great overseas yet never saw a sequel;

The Golden Compass 70 M domestic | 302 M Overseas
Prince of Persia 90 M domestic | 244 M Overseas
Godzilla 136 M domestic | 242 Overseas

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the film. Box office does not equate quality.

Last edited by DarkKnight88; 07-05-2011 at 12:32 PM.
DarkKnight88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #35
Angamb
Banned User

princes of persia got all that money from foreign market?

I thought it didnt worked so well...

Old 07-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #36
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

The only person I could see not coming back would be Jennifer Lawrence. She'll have a new franchise in Hunger Games and I'll bet that blue makeup is a bear to have put on.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:02 PM   #37
Angamb
Banned User

She'll be a bigger star by second class....

but she still signed the contract, so she'll do the sequel, I think.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #38
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
but she still signed the contract, so she'll do the sequel, I think.
Contracts can and are torn up on a regular basis. Joseph Gordon Levitt was signed up for G.I. Joe sequels but got himself outta his contract.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #39
JP
Smelly

Fox is a different studio. If they don't use her option on anothe X-Men film, they'll cetainly use it to keep her out of another potential blockbuster.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:44 PM   #40
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah, like they kept Ellen Page from doing Inception because she was still under contract for X-Men sequels?

Seriously, people. Fox wasn't a big boogeyman against quality films. We just saw them wise up and leave Vaughn and Singer alone to make First Class into a great flick.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:50 PM   #41
PWN3R
mowing lawns

If Lawrence opted to jump that contract loophole, ala JGL, that would be a damn shame. Her relationship with McAvoy's Xavier was my favorite aspect of the film.

They better ALL come back, dammit.

“What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness." - Don Draper

PWN3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #42
akfj
Side-Kick

Lawrence will definitely have to wear the full-body make-up a lot more in the sequel. That may make the idea of doing a sequel unappealing for her. But, it is likely if she signed on for sequels that she knew of that ahead of time, and feels alright with it.

akfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #43
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

She signed on well before her career went to 11 with the Oscar nomination for Winter's Bone and landing Hunger Games. For all we know she hated wearing blue makeup but it doesn't matter. Being in a big franchise film like X-Men looked like the best thing she'd ever get. At that given time.

If she wants out and has a good enough agent, she'll get out of her contract and they'll just throw Rebecca Romijn back into the role.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #44
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
Some examples of movies that had plans for a franchise and did great overseas yet never saw a sequel;

Just to be clear, I'm not knocking the film. Box office does not equate quality.

The Golden Compass earned NOTHING from overseas ticket sales because the studio sold off all the foreign distribution rights.

* Anyone else annoyed by the adverts for cleaning products at the bottom of the page, which cannot be turned off!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:16 PM   #45
the a1ant
Awesome

I think the cast would gladly come back if it's the same creative team. Lawrence will probably want a much bigger increase in pay, which would make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKnight88 View Post
Usually for greenlighting a sequel it does. Some examples of movies that had plans for a franchise and did great overseas yet never saw a sequel;

One thing First Class has going for it is that it was well received, critically. Fox should capitalize on that and move forward with a sequel. I think the profit would be much better, ala X1 to X2 to X3.

Last edited by the a1ant; 07-05-2011 at 04:21 PM.
the a1ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #46
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
She signed on well before her career went to 11 with the Oscar nomination for Winter's Bone and landing Hunger Games. For all we know she hated wearing blue makeup but it doesn't matter. Being in a big franchise film like X-Men looked like the best thing she'd ever get. At that given time.

If she wants out and has a good enough agent, she'll get out of her contract and they'll just throw Rebecca Romijn back into the role.
The role is so dependent on make-up and prosthetics that it could be recast if necessary. Especially now that Mystique has declared herself 'mutant and proud' which means her Jennifer Lawrence human guise has been abandoned for good.

In any event, it's too early for decisions on cast and director.

Old 07-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #47
Scarlet Spider
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah, like they kept Ellen Page from doing Inception because she was still under contract for X-Men sequels?
But they never made an X4 to use Ellen Page, so why would they have objected to her doing Inception?

A better example would be Emily Blunt.

Marvel wanted her badly to play Black Widow in Iron Man 2 and subsequent Marvel films and she really wanted it as well. They offered her the role and she would have taken it (and publicly expressed her interest in the role) but Fox had her under contract to do Gulliver's Travels and they wouldn't budge. Blunt had no choice but to drop out and the role went to Scarlett Johansson.

If Fox has an actor under contract and they want them back, they'll enforce it, just like they did with Blunt.

Scarlet Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #48
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by akfj View Post
Lawrence will definitely have to wear the full-body make-up a lot more in the sequel. That may make the idea of doing a sequel unappealing for her. But, it is likely if she signed on for sequels that she knew of that ahead of time, and feels alright with it.
Alan Cummings signed on for sequels for Nightcrawler, but they eventually decided not to include him in X-Men: The Last Stand because he cried and moaned and *****ed about the makeup every opportunity he got.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM   #49
JP
Smelly

Yet he was ready and willing to come back for X3.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #50
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Yet he was ready and willing to come back for X3.
Cuz he would have had to. But that didn't stop him from *****ing about it the whole time.

But yes... he did clear his schedule to allow for him to film X-Men: The Last Stand, and then they didn't even use him.

My point was in response to the person saying Jennifer Lawrence must be okay with the makeup process since she signed on for a sequel. That doesn't mean anything. Alan Cummings signed on for a sequel, and he was not okay with the makeup process.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote