The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #51
Khemik@L
MARVEL RULES THE SUMMER!!

Default Re: Guess the tomatometer for Captain America!

Imma say about 80%

FOR IF THE WAY YOUR POWER IS USED IS DICTATED TO YOU BY YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT A SPECTATOR? BUT IF YOU DICTATE YOUR INTENDED ACTIONS TO YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT THE ENFORCER?
Khemik@L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #52
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
Translation: Thought that they would get annoyed by whatever is relevant to America. I don't know why the hell a dry face emoticon was warranted, I guess that you can't put yourself in the shoes of others in this instance, you do realize that foreigners will watch the movie, right? Too much of something isn't always a good thing.

Last edited by S.A.A.D.; 07-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.
S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #53
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

High: 83%
Low: 62%

If it's as good as it looks, I have a hard time seeing it dip below 60%.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #54
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
Translation: Thought that they would get annoyed by whatever is relevant to America. I don't know why the hell a dry face emoticon was warranted, I guess that you can't put yourself in the shoes of others in this instance, you do realize that foreigners will watch the movie, right? Too much of something isn't always a good thing.
What do you mean by too much of something? Superhero films? Keep in mind, TDK was the 4th comic film in 2008. How did that turn out?

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #55
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Did you realize it was SAAD who asked that question? Expect an unjustified, nonsensical answer.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #56
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Did you realize it was SAAD who asked that question? Expect an unjustified, nonsensical answer.
I just don't see where this whole "superhero fatigue" argument is coming from. I mean, GL and Cap have over a month's seperation. People in the general audience don't count the number of comic films. They watch trailers and say yay or nay. This whole superhero fatigue argument boggles me

GL's failures have nothing to do with Cap's success or failure!

Old 07-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #57
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

I didn't want to bring this subject up in this thread because it would derail it, but I believe there's something deeper going on.

There's this stupid talk in the media and many websites that people are getting tired of Superhero movies, such as the one on yahoo. Sites are trying the spin the earning of the superhero movies into people being tired of Superhero movies. I honestly think that's BS and have a conspiracy theory that rival movie studios are paying media to put out stories like that. It makes sense considering that this isn't the first year with multiple superhero movies and just because one of them hasn't made Iron Man money doesn't mean the genre's going to fade away, especially with next year on the horizon.

The fact of people getting tired of Superhero movies is a myth. Just because Thor didn't earn as much as Iron Man doesn't make it a failure. If it appeals to a demographic, they won't care what genre it is if they think it's good and entertaining.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:05 AM   #58
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

GL was just a bad movie, it had nothing to do with getting tired of the superhero genre.

I really don't know what Cap is going to end up at, but I'm hoping it will be in the 80's. Nothing would please me more than to see Cap be successful commercially and financially. The previews have looked fantastic, but after the last two crappy Transformer movies, I know not to be fooled by trailers that look good. However I trust that Joe Jonston will be more sensible and mature than Michael Bay's 12 year old potty humor, while still making a fun and enjoyable film ala Rocketeer.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #59
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
I didn't want to bring this subject up in this thread because it would derail it, but I believe there's something deeper going on.

There's this stupid talk in the media and many websites that people are getting tired of Superhero movies, such as the one on yahoo. Sites are trying the spin the earning of the superhero movies into people being tired of Superhero movies. I honestly think that's BS and have a conspiracy theory that rival movie studios are paying media to put out stories like that. It makes sense considering that this isn't the first year with multiple superhero movies and just because one of them hasn't made Iron Man money doesn't mean the genre's going to fade away, especially with next year on the horizon.

The fact of people getting tired of Superhero movies is a myth. Just because Thor didn't earn as much as Iron Man doesn't make it a failure. If it appeals to a demographic, they won't care what genre it is if they think it's good and entertaining.
I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, but I must admit, this did cross my mind when I saw these recent articles. It more so seemed to come after the failure of Green Lantern. Thor made something like 430 million world wide, so that's actually a big success not a failure. Just because it didn't make 200 million domestically, doesn't make it a failure.

But the thought crossed my mind that this might have been a WB plant, to smear rival studios movies, just to make GL look better, because in the midst of it's failure, they announced plans for a sequel, although no dates or who would be attached. Just seemed odd.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:13 AM   #60
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Believe me, I hate conspiracy theories. I feel like it's a plant, because I've watched enough Entourage (which really isn't as far-fetched from actual Hollywood as you think) to know they media would get paid to plant smear stories like that.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #61
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

Agreed. People want to blame the genre because we had no 300 mil grossing comic films this year, but this was not a year suited for it to happen. Thor was a tough sell (but succeeded...just not on an IM level), X-Men had 2 poor outings and only once I think had a 300 mil grosser, and GL sucked. GL bombing is a result of the quality, not anything else. I agree, if a movie looks good, people will see it. This is why I expect Cap to do well. It looks good and likely will have good WOM. If these happen, it will do well. IM1 well, no...but like people in the industry don't seem to get....IM was an anamoly. He wasn't an example of B-listers making A-list money. That was a freak accident.

Plus, like you said...all the comic films next year are very high profile and will do well. This whole "fatigue" thing is stupid, yet people spew it like all the people who religiously watch MSNBC and FoxNews repeat whatever they tell the people to believe.

Last edited by Spider-Fan; 07-07-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:22 AM   #62
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

CNN ftw.

Also, it has to be a plant. After reading those stories, I asked myself, "When did Iron Man become the minimum bar for box office success?". Yes, he's a B-list superhero that became an A-list superhero, but every B-list hero or below shouldn't be compared to Iron Man in terms of success. That's why I really believe it's a plant. I mean, did anyone say that about Wolverine when that movie didn't gross as much as Iron Man?

Old 07-07-2011, 12:23 AM   #63
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I'm not a big conspiracy theorist, but I must admit, this did cross my mind when I saw these recent articles. It more so seemed to come after the failure of Green Lantern. Thor made something like 430 million world wide, so that's actually a big success not a failure. Just because it didn't make 200 million domestically, doesn't make it a failure.

But the thought crossed my mind that this might have been a WB plant, to smear rival studios movies, just to make GL look better, because in the midst of it's failure, they announced plans for a sequel, although no dates or who would be attached. Just seemed odd.
There are many reasons GL failed. Thor had many of the same problems in generating an audience GL did, but Thor was a better movie, had better marketing, had reviews weeks in advance (no embargo), and a better release date than GL did. GL having bad buzz on top of a bad release date sealed its fate. Cap's release date isn't great, either...at least for an opening. But, where Cap has an advantage of GL is less competition in weeks following release. Cap can make a lot of that lost OW money back, if WOM is good.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #64
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
CNN ftw.

Also, it has to be a plant. After reading those stories, I asked myself, "When did Iron Man become the minimum bar for box office success?". Yes, he's a B-list superhero that became an A-list superhero, but every B-list hero or below shouldn't be compared to Iron Man in terms of success. That's why I really believe it's a plant. I mean, did anyone say that about Wolverine when that movie didn't gross as much as Iron Man?
Agreed. IM1 is one of a select few who crossed the 300 mil domestic barrier. Heck, Batman Begins failed to reach that mark! Do we all call that a failure? I think Cap will make more than BB did, WW. But, the funny thing is, no one will argue BB being a failure, but if Cap onl makes 400 or just falls short of 400, I bet you a poster tries making the argument Cap is a failure.

But, it is all useless. I think Cap gets a sequel opening weekend of May, 2014. No matter what anyone here says.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:38 AM   #65
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I agree with Parker, and Spider-Fan. It is just internet dribble trying to create attention. Sadly some on the internet will sheep with it and nod their heads, but in the end that's like saying "Blockbusters are saturating the summer market" Yea some one can say that, but that does not stop them from always dominating the summer market. Superhero is a genre, and to me really most never tire of genre people watch action movies every year for the past 35 years almost, and some complain but its not some conspiricy theory of people getting tired of it.

A good movie is a good movie, period. Sometimes good movies will get un-noticed at first and so on, not all of them succeed, but that does not spell doom for the genre at all. I'm sure Cap will do great, and even if not, I'm sure a bunch of comic films next year and the next year will. Superheros have been strong in the comic book world for almost 80 years, there is no slowing down on that or complaining of that. So it is the same with film.

But alas this is the Internet, where some just want to doom and gloom everything.

But Capt looks great, it has my ticket.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:59 AM   #66
UltimateJustin
The Hype's Black Purist

I doubt very many would, but I do know some people so susceptible to "news story" opinions they read on the internet (and in particular, so easily swayed by the little blurbs they read off the Yahoo homepage) that they would read that article and then later say to me, "You know, superhero movies aren't that popular anymore" or allow something like that to change affect their reaction to a trailer, "oh, Captain America, another superhero movie? Why, it's not going to make ANY money."

But I think CA will land around the 70-80%. I can't say any better because Joe freaking Johnston directed Jurassic Park III so, no.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #67
Chewy
REDACTED

Kenneth freaking Branagh directed Frankenstein. Sam freaking Raimi directed the Gift.

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #68
Spider-X
Big damn hero

I have a feeling this movie will be making a ton of money just based completely on the fact that it's a great moral tale about highly patriotic figure. It's a story that can resonate with a TON of people. The whole point made in the trailer about Steve being a good man even with so much power will be a theme that will draw in a lot of dad's who will bring their sons to show them a good moral story tied to American values.

On the other hand it's looking like a high quality superhero movie in general...which the GA normally eat up anyways.

But the patriotic and strong moral themes will be enough to get even more people in the seats than you'd normally get for a new superhero movie franchise, regardless of whether or not it gets great reviews. And with good to great reviews and WOM...this movie is going to explode. I'd expect IM numbers easy if this is a legitimately great movie.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually

Last edited by Spider-X; 07-07-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Spider-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:48 AM   #69
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

There will no doubt be certain movie critics who feel required to bash Captain America simply because of its perceived patriotism and the word "America" in the title.

That being said, I'm hoping that the fact that the film seems to have a lot of heart and humanity in it will give it a leg up with those critics who don't normally like loud superhero action flicks.

I'm thinking 75 - 80% Tomatometer.

The Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:47 PM   #70
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Let's not jinx it. We all remember how the last one of these threads turned out.
Except Green Lantern looked like crap since Trailer 1.

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #71
lordofthenerds
Not a Goddamn Side-Kick

100%... then Armond White will review it. Heard it here first.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You officially have no life.
lordofthenerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:34 PM   #72
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post
Except Green Lantern looked like crap since Trailer 1.
I still believe that's what killed all interest in the movie.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:42 PM   #73
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

It certainly didn't help, LOL!

I just haven't seen any reason to this point to be concerned about Cap not getting a fairly good RT rating.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #74
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
It certainly didn't help, LOL!
I was one of the people in denial, but the trailer's mediocrity tore away at me and I lost interest in being in the GL threads as well as the movie

Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #75
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

The trailer for GL gave me a bad feeling, too. Which prior to that, I had a good feeling about the movie. Then when the trailer hit, I said uh-oh. WB looks to have made a mistake in GL's approach.