Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 12-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #251
Morg
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Smaillville Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
I doubt there will be a deal so soon after the release. I'm going to wait until next year to get it when the price drops. I don't have that burning feeling to get the new season like I used to. I hardly even watch the Smallville reruns on TNT.
They need to move it to another time, have no chance to watch it at that hour

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:29 AM   #252
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Default Re: Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I would say the show kinda went downhill mid-season 5 after Jonathan's death and the Lexana arc.

Season 6 wasn't great with whiny Clark continued.

Season 7 was interesting, and kinda gets a pass because of the strike that messed up the second half.

Season 8 was a surprise with how they recovered from the departure of two main leads, but sort of ended on a disappointing note because of the Chloe/Doomsday story where suddenly Chloe was this amazing character. Not to mention Oliver was a regular but reduced to self-pity as opposed to cool action stuff as the Green Arrow.

Season 9 was simply awesome with the Lois/Clark stuff as well as Zod.

Season 10 was a mixed bag.It was good, but didn't really step it up to the next level since there was so much that was stuffed in.

Jonathan's death ultimately was pointless because instead of moving forward it crippled Clark for a major part of the series until Season 10's 200th episode "Homecoming" where Brainiac 5 basically tells Clark to Man up and stop carrying around a burden of the past that would end up completely destroying him. If he didn't let it go.

Season 6 started of great with Clark alone and isolated from his friends and family. While trying to recapture the Phantom Zone prisoners lose on earth. Unfortunately just when Clark was about to pursue his destiny after "fallout" the whole Lex and Lana engagement/Marriage debacle totally ruined clark and he revert back to the BDA Clark of (Season 1-5) pining after lana. If it wasn't for certain key episode like "Justice", "Crimson", "Combat" , "Nemesis" , Prototype and the season finale "Phantom" with the ultra badass introduction of Bizarro and the flight cliffhanger . I'd have thrown in the towel on the show right then and their.

Season 7's introduction of Supergirl IMO, really helped me give this show another chance. Kara arrival opened up more focus on Clark's Kryptonian heritage as well as given Clark the mentoring role in helping Kara adjust to earth like jonathan and Martha had done for him. Also Season 7 had some really good episodes and moments the end up given the show a real connection to the DCU .

The return of Brainiac, The Veritas arc and it connection to the past previous season including the Pilot itself was brilliant . "Descent" the pivotal moment of Lex Luthor's
embracing his dark destiny and killing his father was magnificent . The mindblowing episode of "Apocalypse" that gives us a really good straight up look a world that needs a Clark Kent while also given Clark a brief glimpse at his inevitable relationship with Lois was a major Bonus.

Arctic was a damn good season finale that left us with an amazing cliffhanger with the death of Lex Luthor and the destruction of the fortress with Clark powerless.

Season 8 the show was revitalized with a new energy where it transformed from Smallville to Metropolis and the beginning of Superman and Lois and Clark partnership and romance, (With the exception of lana's mini return arc and her krypto freak departure) Season 8 was awesome. I like the whole Doomsday arc with Davis as it basically help Clark realize he got to stop run from his destiny because one way or another he going to fulfill it . His fate is inescapable .

Season 9 the show fleshed out the early days of Superman who acted more like the vigilante Batman in his crime fighting. also is explored Lane and Kent's relationship and gives a clear definitive reason why Clark is destined to be with her . Also Zod return was magnificently done and his relationship with Jor-El was an awesome twist that added more depth to Clark's relationship with Zod as well as being a parallel to his former friendship with Lex. Lois continue on her journey to becoming the World renowned reporter for the Daily Planet she destiny to become. And clark see that he needs to maintain a dual Identity to be the protector of mankind. Honestly with the exception of Roulette as the worst episode of the season. Season 9 had an awesome season run of great episodes

The Standout episodes for me are
"Savior", "Metallo", "Rabid" , "Echo" "Crossfire" "Kandor" "Idol", "Pandora","Absolute Justice","Persuasion","Conspiracy", "Checkmate","Upgrade", "Charade", "Hostage" and the epic season finale "Salvation" with a glimpse into the future. The revelation for Lois, Clark kicks Zod ass royale and the fall from the tower with blue-Kryptonite.

Season 10 was the season of fulfillment every and anything I ever wanted to see (with the exception of an actual no holds bar super smackdown with Clark vs. Darkside in full form ) happened. Clark became Superman, Clark married Lois, Lois fulfilled her destiny, Lex returned and became President, We got cameos and appearance from all the important characters, Jonathan and Martha returned, Superboy was introduced, Kara came back, Brainiac 5, Major Zod becomes General Zod, Jor-El and Lara are seen together with the a message of hope for Clark, Clark creates and develops the Mild Mannered persona, Hawkman in action, more DCU heroes, Mention of Batman and Wonder Woman existance in this universe, the end of key landmarks such as the Talon, Luthor Mansion, etc....

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:20 AM   #253
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I would say the show kinda went downhill mid-season 5 after Jonathan's death and the Lexana arc.
I don't think the first half of Season 5 was that much better to be honest

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #254
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

I think the second half of season 5 and most of season 6 were depressing. It didn't feel like the old Smallville of seasons 1-4.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:27 AM   #255
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
I'm still bitter about no suit Welling.

At least season 9 had the black trenchcoat.
The black suit in season 9 was really cool and Welling made it work really well as a prototype Superman costume.

http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcusto....php?FID=17722

Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #256
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

^ Want!!!!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #257
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I wouldn't say Jonathan's death was completely pointless because the 200th episode did point out what kind of an effect it had on Clark, since it really was a turning point in his life and the show. But I think the way it was handled was done poorly, just for the effect of drama by killing Lana first and then doing time travel as the device to change things. And the way that Clark felt like he didn't love Lana anymore when he really did brought down the season in the second half.

With season 6, I'll admit to being a Clana shipper at that point, so the Lexana stuff really angered me, as well as the fact that Clark was just so depressing. The best thing about the first half was the Green Arrow because it was the first time we saw an actual superhero who was fighting for justice instead of being a good samaritan. There were also good episode like "Labyrinth" and "Nemesis" in the second half, but then also stuff like "Freak" where we get Chloe as a meteor freak suddenly.

Season 7 was good but the most frustrating part was that you knew Clark and Lana weren't meant to be together at that point, but everytime it seemed like they were going to break up, they did something to make Clark look worse because he was really too weak to let her go. The Bizarro stuff was great, as well as the Veritas arc, although I would have loved to see how that turned out without the strike.

Season 8 started off good, but the Lana arc really crippled it for the rest of the season since Clark seemed to change so much before her return, and suddenly he reverted back to his old self. Plus the resolution to Lana and Lex's arc was just bad. I also didn't like how Chloe was suddenly more important than Clark, which was probably more of an issue because of Brian and Kelly's love for her. And of course, Oliver stopped being cool as the Green Arrow and Doomsday was hyped too much with no payoff other than the satisfaction of finally seeing him on screen.

Season 9 is probably my favorite. I loved seeing Clark finally embrace his heritage and agree to let Jor-el be his mentor, especially since they seemed to find a way to work around that idea that doing the training would mean Clark would disappear for a few years. I really loved the Lois and Clark stuff as well as the play with the dual identity and Lois loving the Blur while dating Clark. And Zod was just awesome. I think there were only a couple of episodes that I would skip because the season was pretty solid.

Season 10 was the one I expected more from. I expected bigger things on most of the first few episodes based on the guest stars and returning characters. Homecoming was pure perfection, and the first half set up a lot of big things to look forward to like the wedding, the VRA resolution, and the return of Lex. But the second half seemed crippled by Chloe's return in the same way that Lana's return hurt season 8. It was nice to see Lionel, Jonathan and Martha return, but it didn't really feel like there was much resolution to the open storylines of the first half. The VRA got voted down and suddenly there was no more anti-superhero angst, Lex's clone turned out to be Conner and the real Lex was never resurrected, but rather a master clone who ended up having his memory wiped, thus rendering Lex's story pointless, and Clark never stepped out into the light as Superman. The finale had great moments, but it was ultimately disappointing with its lack of huge payoffs, such as the Darkseid fight, the lack of a costume, and the postponement of the wedding for several years. The shirt rip was great, but based on the huge steps they made in making the series feel more like a Superman show in season 8 and 9, I expected more than just a cheap CGI version of Superman that was modeled after Routh.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #258
Sith Scotti
Banned User

The first 3 episodes of season were the best episodes to start a season and than it just went to hell after Reckoning . I liked the 2nd half of season 6 . Had a bunch of strong episodes . Lets be honest season 7 was ruined by the strike ...

Season 8 was gasrbage except for the Lana arc , I admit I got teary eyed at the end . The finale with Doomsay and Jimmy's death was complete bs ....

Season 9 was too heavily Lois centerd for my liking .

Season 10 had one great episode in Homecoming but that was it.

Seasons 2 & 3 are still my favorites

Sith Scotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #259
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

All of the seasons are good some episode's were bad IMO.

Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #260
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
The black suit in season 9 was really cool and Welling made it work really well as a prototype Superman costume.

Cool.

Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #261
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Daily Planet Newspaper article from 2017
SUPERMAN A HERO FOR THE AGES
by Lois Lane

Superman!
Evan after typing that word for almost seven years now, I still get a little thrill every time I see it on the front page. Yesterday's rescue of over one billion dollars in gold bullion is just another example of why Superman is the greatest thing to happen to Metropolis since the Daily Planet itself.

His tireless efforts to safeguard this city and the planet as a whole have earned him the admiration and gratitude of countless individuals, myself included. And while I may not have been able to get the exclusive scoop on yesterday's front-page headline robbery attempt, I do have the admittedly enviable honor of naming Earth's Greatest Hero.

Actually, I've had the enviable honor of naming him twice. Before Superman, he was the Blur. I don't know about you, but I think Superman sounds so much better. I'm sure he'll admit the same as well. While I coined the name Superman after he saved the entire planet from the threat of Apokolips seven years ago,
The Man Of Steel was actually around a lot longer than that, only back then he operated from the shadows as Metropolis' mysterious "RED BLUE BLUR". And this intrepid reporter was (and is, thank you very much) his go to gal from the start.

You see, I believed in him from his very first act of heroism in our fair city and I became determined to help him in any way I could in his quest for truth and justice alongside my partner Clark Kent. Admittedly it was hard at first, convincing both a skeptical public and an even more skeptical me. I am a five-star U.S. Army general's daughter, after all, and if it's one thing I've learned from him, it's never to believe something or someone until you have irrefutable proof. But I had my overly inquisitive derriere saved more times than I could remember by the Blur, and he didn't even show me his face back then.

We did talk on the phone (a payphone, believe it or not), and although his voice was disguised, it's honesty, sincerity and kindness made me a believer from the start. No one else I knew had such a higher purpose or a nobler goal. And while many heroes have stepped into the light in the following years since, call me old fashioned, but none of them quite measure up to the Big Apricot's iconic savior in red, yellow and blue. He proved his sincerity and selflessness time and time again, and soon we developed a bond based on trust and respecting his privacy.

So why was Superman/the Blur so hesitant before revealing himself, you ask? Well, he had a lot to lose in the beginning especially being "A Strange Visitor from another planet". Alien visitors were not exactly commonplace when he debuted, and while he looks like one of us, he wasn't so sure his ability to move "Faster than a Speeding Bullet", outrun a jet plane, or use his powerful Heat Vision would exactly make him easy to warm up to (no pun intended). Not only that, but heroes in bright and tight costumes were still relatively new thing when Superman started his crusade, and with the amount of relentless and invasive attention Oliver Queen drew when he announced to the world that he was the Green Arrow, it's no wonder Superman like to remain anonymous didn't mean he was lying low. His rescues and saves soon spread from Metropolis across the globe, and as he became more and more part of the public consciousness, interest in his identity reached a fever pitch. Many tried to discredit him or take credit for actually being him, but between my good reporting and his continuous good deeds, any critics and impostors were quickly silenced.

And while I wanted to know what he looked like and where he was from just as much as a grateful and eager public. I knew he would tell me when he was ready to and the time was right. That time gradually came when the world grew more and more dangerous and an all consuming darkness held humanity in captivity and people desperately need a beacon of light to save them. The Blur knew his time had come to step out of the shadows . Donning a colorful uniform emblazoned with his Kryptonian family crest, he saved the planet from nothing short of the Apocalypse. As those who were in Metropolis can attest, Superman's miraculous save allowed us to face a new day- and a new age - under his watchful eyes and unswerving protection.

If the world had succumbed to Darkseid's Omega nightmare Earth would have been a wasteland of sadness, death and destruction. Thankfully, Superman showed us all the light. It's been a long journey from the Blur to Superman, but Earth is better for it and so is Superman. What's clear is that he is here to stay, and as long as he is, this reporter will aways have his back one hundred percent. I don't know about you, but I sleep better at night knowing that Superman is soaring high above the skies keeping us safe .

Thanks, Big Guy.

Last edited by The Caped Knight; 12-02-2011 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #262
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Would be awesome to get Durance to sign that at a Con.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #263
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
Would be awesome to get Durance to sign that at a Con.
I'd love that to get her and Welling to sign it.

BTW the newspaper confirms mini article revolving around Bruce Wayne, Wayne Enterprise, LexCorp, Queen Industries, The Justice League, the return of The Justice Society, General Sam Lane , Lex's presidency announcement , Maxima, Bibbo, Zatanna, Wonder Woman, Booster Gold, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Superboy, Supergirl's return, Martha Kent , A movie review devoted to Whitney Fordman : High Jock becomes an American hero,

Last edited by The Caped Knight; 12-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #264
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the second half of season 5 and most of season 6 were depressing. It didn't feel like the old Smallville of seasons 1-4.
Season 5 including the second half of it was depressing. Season 6 felt like a bad soap opera, I do think there is a difference between being melodramatic(which Season 6 was) and depressing. In general I hated the whole Clark screws up and Jonathon dies storyline of Season 5 which happened in many first half Season 5 episodes. While there is some second half stinkers in S5 due to the Clexana crap, the first half has 4 of my worst 25 rated episodes(Arrival, Hidden, Solitude and Reckoning) which all directly or indirectly tie into that Jonathon storyline(while the second half has a few in my worst 26-50 episodes).

To be perfectly honest I think there times I look at Season 7 more fondly then Season 5(but both are close to what I consider the worst season)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Scotti View Post
I liked the 2nd half of season 6 . Had a bunch of strong episodes .

Season 6 is hard to rate. I thought the first 9 episodes were good but nothing great. The Clexana melodrama didn't really start till Hydro so that's when the worst stuff of Season 6 started to take place. That being said there was many episodes during that period that had great concepts but they dragged down a bit by the Clexana crap(Hydro, Crimson, Combat, Nemesis and Phantom). All the episodes I listed, I beleive they could have been some of the best of the series if they didn't have any link to Clexana, but instead they just good episodes with a some problems

Last edited by SV Fan; 12-02-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #265
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yes the show had its ups and downs throughout every season. Like others i agree stuff like the death of jonathan, to the lack of movement with clark during seasons 5-7, the dragging of lana and clark, and the whole lana/lex stuff were bad points in the series. But even through it all there was plently of good stuff they did do during the run.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM   #266
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by the caped knight View Post
the black suit in season 9 was really cool and welling made it work really well as a prototype superman costume.

http://www.figurerealm.com/viewcusto....php?fid=17722
Awesome!

Old 12-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #267
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Good news fellow Smallville comrades , I was able to talk to one of the mods of SHH into reconsidering our promised Smallville Sub-Section in the Superman forum.

Now Guys please, Remember to follow the rules and guidelines. Don't start flame wars with other members about Superman Returns or Brandon Routh or the upcoming Superman reboot film, Keep the discussion on topic and point. And keep the peace.

We are a peaceful community, Let keep it that way like Superman would.

Last edited by The Caped Knight; 12-02-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #268
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

very cool article, also i see now we been switched again to another subforum.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #269
TwilightPro101

Quote:

Awesome figures!

ScarJo IS Black Widow
TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #270
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Quote:
Good news fellow Smallville comrades , I was able to talk to one of the mods of SHH into reconsidering our promised Smallville Sub-Section in the Superman forum.

Now Guys please, Remember to follow the rules and guidelines. Don't start flame wars with other members about Superman Returns or Brandon Routh or the upcoming Superman reboot film, Keep the discussion on topic and point. And keep the peace.

Thanks Caped Knight!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 PM   #271
Frontier
Arkham Asylum Inmate

Quote:
I've never seen a new season costing $18-21 during the week it comes out. Maybe the season prior to that one, but never the latest season. I think you would have to wait a year (maybe next Black Friday) for that kind of deal on season 10.
I bought seasons 7,8 and 9 on DVD week of release in Target for $20-ish. After that the price went back to normal. But... saved myself quite a few pennies those years, hehe. No idea why; I wasn't going to ask!

Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #272
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I bought seasons 7,8 and 9 on DVD week of release in Target for $20-ish. After that the price went back to normal. But... saved myself quite a few pennies those years, hehe. No idea why; I wasn't going to ask!
Wow, never seen that price before during the release week. If you can find that for season 10 then that's awesome!

Old 12-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #273
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:

Justice!!!

Nicely done

Old 12-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #274
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

So with our own subforum again what do we want to make this thread be now. Since i see someone else started a dvd/bluray thread?

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 12-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #275
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
and the whole lana/lex stuff
To be perfectly honest upon rewatch Lex and Lana wasn't bad, it's when Clark was interjected into the story that I got annoyed