The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 12-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #326
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: Smallville

I know i would love to see them start up from the begining and run the complete series. But that is the question did tnt gets rights to show all episodes. Or did they only get a partial rights to run x amount of episodes deal. Its very likely they only did get a partial at the time. Wouldnt be the first time a show is rerun somewhere else and not do complete run.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #327
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Check this out. I was searching YT for random Smallville videos and came across this one. You guys may have already seen it, but its new to me. I think this is very well done, and would have been awesome to see.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Edit: Not sure why it's saying there is an error, but here's the link at any rate....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3lKs...eature=related

Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:45 AM   #328
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Not a bad vid

Old 12-21-2011, 01:09 PM   #329
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

I miss Smallville so much!

Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #330
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

seriously. Smallville was around longer than some pets that I've had.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #331
bonoferox
Side-Kick

Yeah, but if you take into account all the episodes that were actually good and contributed something worthwhile to Superman mythos, the series would just be about 3-4 seasons, IMO.

I did like series at times. A lot. But I wasn't sad when it ended and was actually a little disappointed that after ten years they just got lazy and had to borrow a hell of a lot from Superman Returns. Regardless of how much I like SR, I wanted to see them do something different as far as the costume and definitely more than having Welling stand in the shadow of Brandon Routh on the damn DVD cover.

bonoferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #332
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I don't think so even with all its ups and downs it still overall was a good show..

Old 12-22-2011, 10:17 AM   #333
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoferox View Post
Yeah, but if you take into account all the episodes that were actually good and contributed something worthwhile to Superman mythos, the series would just be about 3-4 seasons, IMO.
well, as the saying goes YMMV

Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 AM   #334
bonoferox
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
well, as the saying goes YMMV

Hence my ending the thought with "IMO"

Old 12-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #335
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I don't get the whole "Superman Mythos" thing. There is no mythos, just common ideas that were shared among various interpretations. But Smallville made a bunch of changes that broke that mold and for the most part, I think it was a refreshing change for the most part.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #336
bonoferox
Side-Kick

I'll disagree. When a foundation is laid and we know who Superman is and where he came from, that is the mythology of Superman. It's expected to be built upon, of course, but hopefully for the better. Like I said, I did like what Smallville did at times and what they set out to accomplish initially, but it just fell flat far too often for me.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #337
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Okay, there's basics that can't be changed, like Superman is an alien from the planet Krypton and he was found by the Kents and eventually grew up to be a reporter for the Daily Planet while also being Metropolis' savior as Superman. That's pretty much the base that every incarnation has followed.

But after a while, Smallville made it clear that they were changing things up a bit. We saw it with Lex and Clark being friends early on, Clark meeting Lois and falling for him and knowing his secret before he became Superman, and Clark's initial reluctant on wearing a costume and the evolution of that with his "proto-suits". Of course not everything turned out great, but it was different and that's what made it stand out as its own thing as opposed to being just another story like it would have been had it been a comic series.

My biggest gripe is just how they tried to make it fit in with the film series in the finale with the Lex mindwipe and bumbling Clark. I feel like they built on so much in the previous years as that those kinds of sudden changes took away from it since it kept them from going in a completely new direction of its own.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #338
bonoferox
Side-Kick

I'll agree with you.

I was really looking forward to the show being its own thing to begin with and, at times, it really felt like they were heading that direction. Some of the cast I hated, but the new introduction to Lex and his relationship with his father shaping him, the new relationship of Clark with the Kents, the discovery of his powers, all that I loved.

While I actually did appreciate a few throwbacks to the Donnerverse (notably the Williams theme), it's something where they could have been strong enough to develop their own new Superman foundation and, for me, they just didn't do it in that sense.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #339
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
I don't get the whole "Superman Mythos" thing. There is no mythos, just common ideas that were shared among various interpretations. But Smallville made a bunch of changes that broke that mold and for the most part, I think it was a refreshing change for the most part.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. If the mythos didnt get tweaked with every generation Superman would still be a guy who couldn't fly and beat the snot out of wife beaters.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #340
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

The show was its own thing though. Yes they draw on donner elements due to the producers like that take. But they also threw in stuff from comics, while there own things in the end it was its own take on the characters.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #341
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Yeah, I mean Smallville was already something interesting in itself because it was the first real time we got an extended look at Clark while he was in SV and who he was before he even decided to become Superman.

And of course, a lot of the stuff on the show was hit or miss. I mean as good as things like the Lex and Clark story was, you also had a mix of bad like the krypto-suit and witch stuff that was more of a product of the show being on the CW and appealing to a certain type of viewer.

But it does make me wonder just how different a comic series based solely on the idea of SV would've been. You cut out all of the teenage angst that creates "drama and tension" between the stars and you open it up to a lot more focus on Clark, his powers and where he can go as a character.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #342
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Happy Holidays Smallville fans.

One of my favorite "goofy" moments of the show was "Lexmas" in Season 5.

Ho Ho Hooooolllyy cow!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 12-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #343
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Totally but still even with its ups and downs we got a pretty good show and got to see things we never saw before and some cool/interesting story. Hell for that matter. Sv will probably be best remember for all the guest heroes/villains we got to see in live action who may never have the chance for a live action adaptation any time soon.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 PM   #344
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Smallville once was its own thing and was doing things differently. But around mid series when they kept bringing in everybody from the comic books it started to lose its way and in a huge way. The show was bipolar with its not knowing if it wanted to link up with the comic books or movies or be its own thing altogether and it started long before the finale; one example is burying Doomsday underground so in the future he can resurface and the death of Superman takes place.
I think if TPTB had had a real direction they were going in then the show wouldn't have lost its footing. For example with the complaints about the lame Superman shots in the finale the writers say "it was a show about Clark's journey to Superman not Superman himself". Yet nobody held a gun to their head and made them throw in a dozen Superman anvils per season, or give glimpses of his suit at the end of season 9 and beginning of season 10.

Ayelet Zurer is Lara-El

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #345
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

I don't agree with that

Old 12-24-2011, 12:53 PM   #346
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szetsilya View Post
The show was bipolar.........
I think one of the problems the show had was it tried to write for many different fanbases(shipper fans, comic fans, etc) that the storylines felt uneven at times because one scene many times would not fit in for storyline purposes with other scenes.

I guess it's sort of a double edged sword. On one hand stringing the fans and fan groups along probably helped the show last 10 years and on the other hand trying to please all groups made the story incoherent at times, many times making Clark look bad in the process.

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #347
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I think the biggest problem that the show had was that it was originally planned to be a short term show, lasting 4-5 seasons. No one expected it to last longer because it wasn't supposed to, so once they started taking it season by season, there were no plans to end it because they didn't know how to end it.

Some storylines worked in progressing Clark and his journey, like season 9 where we finally saw him struggle with being a savior while also trying to be human. Other storylines were clearly there to hold him back, like Kara's arrival and the Phantoms. I hink if they had an overall plan for the second half of the series (which is impossible without hindsight), then things would've flowed more smoothly.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #348
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think the biggest problem that the show had was that it was originally planned to be a short term show, lasting 4-5 seasons. No one expected it to last longer because it wasn't supposed to, so once they started taking it season by season, there were no plans to end it because they didn't know how to end it.
I would say Season 3 was the season the stalling started. I know alot of people love Season 3, but it seemed unlike the first 2 seasons Clark was rather directionless in Season 3. If they had a 4/5 season plan I don't think there would be need to put Clana on hold in Season 3 for instance. I have to think by Season 3 the producers sort of had a feeling the show would last at least till Season 5 if not beyond.

Quote:
I hink if they had an overall plan for the second half of the series (which is impossible without hindsight), then things would've flowed more smoothly
I personally believe the show should have written all high school characters(Lana, Chloe and Pete) with 4 season arcs then canned them in Season 5. The show could have started fresh in Season 5 with some new cast additions and write a new 4 year arc of Clark in College. I think this is a way the show could have told there story then move on to something slightly new.

In general I think the producers were more interested in their characters and/or actors then actually trying to tell a good Clark Kent based story. To many times after Season 3 it just felt like the producers had to find ways to make characters relevant just because they needed to do something many times dragging down the story or Clark in general

Last edited by SV Fan; 12-24-2011 at 02:21 PM.
SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #349
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Totally agree there pete/lana could have ended in highschool. Maybe kept chloe since she was popular and that, then move to college/metropolis stuff season 5 and all that.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:06 AM   #350
Milos
Side-Kick

New Smallville video I made!
Watch HD

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Milos is offline   Reply With Quote