Old 11-12-2011, 02:32 AM   #126
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Default Re: Final Season DVD/Bluray Set Discussion

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...ht-me-most/#/0
Quote:
Tom Welling: Five ‘Smallville’ co-stars who taught me most
Nov. 11, 2011 | 9:12 a.m.
Welling said veteran actor John Glover was a key influence. "As an actor, there's really nothing I can say that hasn't already been said. The way he was able to come in with Lionel Luthor -- who was, literally, not supposed to stay around long -- and create so much, it was amazing. Whenever I was going to work with him, it really got me going. I knew it was always going to be interesting and great. I learned a great deal from him. He does a lot of homework before he gets to the set." (Jack Rowand/The CW)

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...most/luthor-8/
The complicated on-screen relationship between Lex Luthor and Clark Kent spilled over to the set. "Michael Rosenbaum playing Lex was huge," Welling says. "A fan favorite in every way, of course. He taught me a lot about what to do but he also taught me a lot about what not to do. He's such a dynamic actor and has these great comedic sensibilities. He's a very different person than his character and his ability to jump in and out -- literally at the snap of a finger -- amazed me. It taught me that I don't work that way and it did it in a good way. I learned about what I needed to do." (Jack Rowand/The CW)

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...ost/finale-12/
Annette O'Toole and John Schneider played Martha and Jonathan Kent, the adoptive parents of the last son of Krypton -- and on the set they were also key figures for Welling as he learned to handle fame, stress and craft challenges. "Jonathan and Martha Kent were huge, not as an influence only on Clark's life but on the set and being mentors to me and being someone for me to learn from." (Jack Rowand/The CW; The WB)

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...-smallville-2/
In 2003, Christopher Reeve, the man who starred as Superman on the silver screen, created a ratings sensation when he appeared on "Smallville." Welling still gets emotional when he reflects on the encounter with the star, who had been paralyzed in a horse-riding accident. "At the top of the list is Christopher who came on the show as the Dr. Swann character. Beyond the show, it was such a phenomenal experience for me and for all of us. I'll never forget that." Reeve died in 2004. (Ken Regan/The WB)

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2011/...-smallville-2/
Quote:
In May, after 10 seasons, Tom Welling said goodbye to “Smallville” (and Metropolis) but loyal fans can revisit the world of Clark Kent, his friends, foes and lovers with the massive new collector’s DVD set that hits stores on Nov. 29. And we do mean massive — the super-sized collection costs $340 but has all 218 episodes and more than five hours of special features, all spread out over 62 discs. That’s right, 62 discs.
For Welling, now 34, the decade as the Man of Steel has defined his career and adult life.
“Even in the early days of the show, I approached it like I was in school and I was always going to be learning,” Welling said. “Luckily, we got people through the door who were creative and highly talented and the environment on the set was always very collective and open and warm. And I learned a lot, more than I can even say, really.”
We asked Welling to name the co-stars who taught him the most and he came up with five names right away. His answer are above in the photo gallery, be sure to click “CAPTIONS ON.”
– Geoff Boucher

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #127
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

The HD versions of seasons 1-5 exist though... they're on Amazon and iTunes.

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:57 PM   #128
TheAQU4M4N
K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
Ya it sucks and you think with all the dough the show has made over the years that they would make more with bluray of full set.
I am still hopeful that they release it on Blu in a couple of years, with enough fan demand we could possibly get it.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #129
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid-Man View Post
The HD versions of seasons 1-5 exist though... they're on Amazon and iTunes.
I remember when they aired the Pilot in HD. It really did look great.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #130
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

I don't think the HD on Amazon and iTunes is the same as 1080p blu-ray though.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #131
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Mike View Post
I don't think the HD on Amazon and iTunes is the same as 1080p blu-ray though.
Not even close.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #132
Asteroid-Man
Ham Sammiches

Seriously!? Is it only 720?

Ke tokhme sokhan ra parakandeam.
Posting Since 09/24/05 10:30 am
Asteroid-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #133
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid-Man View Post
Seriously!? Is it only 720?
Yes

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM   #134
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Yup from what i recall they were not true 1080p/i copies just upconverted 720 or lesser degree. I forget which. But that is the issue they said they wanted the show to be perfect and it would take to much time and money to have to upgrade things. Which still is a bs excuess. But it would be great in a few years time if they did do a another ultimate collection thing and upgraded the whole show.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-14-2011, 09:32 AM   #135
Prison Mike
Don't drop the soap!

If they're not going to convert the entire series to blu-ray now, then I don't see them ever doing it. I don't think Smallville has the same fan demand as the Superman movies. They won't spend their time and extra money on something that only a few people want. I'm just going to go ahead and get the complete series DVDs.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #136
TwilightPro101

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalKai View Post

I'm a little annoyed at the lack of features, but regardless, I'll still have the series as a whole. Once the final season is released.

I'm surprised they didn't attempt to release some sort of director's cut of the finale or the like.

ScarJo IS Black Widow
TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #137
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

There probably wasnt much of a directors cut to the finale if anything probably just minor things trimmed for time and all that.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #138
HD_Dan

Actually, there was some outtake footage from the finale that (unfortunately) didn't make it on either the Season 10 set or complete series box set.

From Brian Peterson:

"So, we wrote a couple of extra scenes with some of the Darkseid mythology with Granny and with Godfrey. That ended up not making it into the final because actually the original script did fit. So those might end up showing up on the DVD or something somewhere and they kind of fleshed out the story a little, but because they weren’t our main characters they were the first to go."

Source: http://www.daemonstv.com/2011/05/13/...series-finale/

When Craig from K-Site reviewed the complete series set, he made note of what the set could have included (but doesn't). Here the part that refers to the finale:

"On a similar note, Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders mentioned prior to the airing of the "Finale" that things - including a lot of the Apokalips story - ended up on the cutting room floor."

Source: http://www.ksitetv.com/9730/advance-...-arrives-1129/

Check the review for all the other material that might have made it onto the series set. It's an interesting read.

When reviewing the (U.K.) Season 10 Blu-ray set, David Bentley (Coventry Telegraph) has this to say:

"I have to admit that the extra features aren't as spectacular as I was anticipating. I had envisaged there might be a montage of the highlights of the 10 seasons, a reflection by other cast members on their character journeys, an interview with Welling on finally becoming Superman and a look at the many faces of Superman in TV and film. Any of those would have made this section much more fulfilling and helped give it a better send-off, especially considering that Smallville eclipsed Stargate SG-1 to become America's longest-running sci-fi show."

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/t...ville-the.html

Although I live in Canada, I ordered the region free Season 10 Blu-ray set from the UK (where it came out on Oct. 31st). The audio video quality is spectacular but the bonus material is sparse, especially for a final season set.

I'm looking forward to the 100 minute series retrospective that is included on the complete series set. I hear it's really impressive.

HD_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #139
Donut
Side-Kick

So they had better interesting stuff then a fake wedding. But cut it because the characters were not the main characters ? That is ****ing stupid. That just makes me hate the finale even more. I just may call that finale the worst finale of all time now

Last edited by Donut; 11-16-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #140
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Yeah, I really hate how the 100-minute retrospect is on the complete set only. I hate it even more since I was planning to see it at NYCC a few weeks ago but couldn't because a friend of mine made me wait for the Avengers panel instead, which turned out to be a waste of time since we didn't even get in.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #141
HD_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
So they had better interesting stuff then a fake wedding. But cut it because the characters were not the main characters ? That is ****ing stupid. That just makes me hate the finale even more. I just may call that finale the worst finale of all time now
It's hard to justify why the outtakes weren't included on the Season 10 set, even in unfinished form. That, and the lack of a feature on the finale itself, speaks volumes.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #142
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I'm pretty sure they stopped caring once the show was done. I mean from the cheap boxart cover, to the lack of special features on the DVD and with how the set is being released very late in the year, it seems like there wasn't a lot of importance placed on the series after the Finale ended.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #143
HD_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
Yeah, I really hate how the 100-minute retrospect is on the complete set only. I hate it even more since I was planning to see it at NYCC a few weeks ago but couldn't because a friend of mine made me wait for the Avengers panel instead, which turned out to be a waste of time since we didn't even get in.
I'm conflicted on this too. I really want to pick up the series set but 99% of what's on there is redundant.

When it comes to release day, I don't know if I'll be able to "pull the trigger" (I have no doubt the retrospective will wind up on YouTube or MegaUpload). Knowing me, I might just pick the series set and keep it sealed for a while.

Sorry to hear about your experience at NYCC. I'd be pissed!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #144
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

It probably had to due with time and space on dvds and crap like that.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #145
Donut
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
It probably had to due with time and space on dvds and crap like that.
They should have cut the ****** wedding instead of that other nicer sounding stuff

Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #146
TwilightPro101

Being the last season, Warner Bros. should have at least given us something more than the usual fare. I'm all for the documentaries.

The lack of commentaries astounds me, but I'm not surprised.

Just wish they would have released the 100 minute retrospective on the stand alone final season.

ScarJo IS Black Widow
Old 11-16-2011, 07:43 PM   #147
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

I would have appreciated at least one commentary with Tom. I mean, he hasn't done one since season 2, I believe.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #148
vantheman77
Side-Kick

Like I said, the first half of the finale was a waste when they put in the wedding that was not going to materialize.

I hope someone puts up the blu-ray screencap of the finale where Clark wears the suit because I hear it looks better in that format.

vantheman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 AM   #149
TwilightPro101

I'm surprised Warner Bros. didn't attempt multiple covers or at least a tin box with an alternate design ala Best Buy's release for Season 8.

ScarJo IS Black Widow
Old 11-17-2011, 07:54 AM   #150
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

Really if u want to complain on the sets. All we usually only had 2 to 3 episodes with commentaries, around 4 eps with deleted scenes(some good some bad), and then one or two featurettes reguarding guest villain/hero/theme of season. So what we have in tenth set is norm.