Thread Manager
SHH! Moderator

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 6

This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

Old 07-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 7

Brighter blue, darker yellow, and tried to take some of the depth out of the shield.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
Superman Prime

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 8

I could nitpick that, but what the hell, it looks great. Let's go with something like that.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
MrMen
Side-Kick

That looks great...
maybe its my monitor but that blue looks a bit purple but still good

Old 07-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #6
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
I could nitpick that, but what the hell, it looks great. Let's go with something like that.
Don't hate on my terrible photoshop skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMen View Post
That looks great...
maybe its my monitor but that blue looks a bit purple but still good
Maybe. Doesn't look purple on my laptop, but could be my laptop....

But I prefer a more royal blue than the pale blue of SR.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:17 AM   #7
Kurosawa
Banned User

It's a rich royal blue but not purple, at least not on my monitor.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #8
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post

In response to your drunk comment. That would be no. Don't drink, never have done, however that picture was good enough for a repost. BTW I also posted that picture wayyyy back in this costume thread, as an example of what I hope Snyder will aspire to when he and his costumers create Henry's costume. It's one of my favourites. It looks like Super MAN. I like that It's not trying to be edgy or trendy or hip, just timeless.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:22 AM   #9
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Brighter blue, darker yellow, and tried to take some of the depth out of the shield.

I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Same here.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #10
db85usa
HeHe!

Sorry I've been away for a while and haven't been on top of the news lately but, has Snyder officially commented on the suit?

If NOT, something tells me he will go with something a little or unconventional this time around...

Old 07-07-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
The only argument for the traditional costume is the usual,
"Because that's the way it is, it's traditional, it's my cultural heritage, it's the way it is cuz it's the way it is. So there! Ha!"
:
Really? The only arguement?

Nothing in the way of:

- Zack Snyder's take on Watchmen and 300 made very little changes to their original depictions.

- It is incredibly difficult to imagine someone pulling off the crotch area with no trunks.

- The entire design is supposed to make Superman seem unbelievable. The more you make the costume 'realistic' the more people start to see him as just a man.

And I'm sure many others have come up with valid arguements why this movie should have a traditional costume (tho I think it's universally agreed that they update the fabrics and minor things to modernise it).

Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #12
KrypJonian
The Last Son of Krypjon

Quote:

Holy cap, tone down those colors please... Dean Cain's suit was vibrant enough...

Other than that I have no real problem with the design...

Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #13
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Umm... I wouldn't call that brighter.

I've said this before but I actually prefer the blue that is in the upper right bubble there.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
- Zack Snyder's take on Watchmen and 300 made very little changes to their original depictions.
I don't see how you can say he was largely faithful to the character's looks in Watchmen. Just applying the standard that people have been doing in this thread, Nite Owl, Ozymandias, and Silk Specter are sacrilege. If a collar counts as a train wreck, then you can't say Synder was 100 percent faithful in Watchmen.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
JAK®
Upstart

Watchmen is a different thing because it's a standalone story and the characters are part of that story and nowhere else. They aren't brands like Superman, so their looks aren't iconic and are open to interpretation.

That said, he was true to the characters that did reach icon status; Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan and The Comedian.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #16
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
I don't see how you can say he was largely faithful to the character's looks in Watchmen. Just applying the standard that people have been doing in this thread, Nite Owl, Ozymandias, and Silk Specter are sacrilege. If a collar counts as a train wreck, then you can't say Synder was 100 percent faithful in Watchmen.
Well I guess I was misinformed about the level of faithfulness then.

Personally I've never read the graphic novel, so I suppose I shouldn't be commenting until I have on it, but so so many people have said that he translated the comics basically panel by panel, and was very visually faithful that I just assumed that was the case. Especially when there was a naked blue guy in the film, which I would have expected them to cover up if they weren't being faithul.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 07-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #17
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Really? The only arguement?

Nothing in the way of:
He's probably a troll and while I do agree with some of his preferences, I don't agree with most of his arguments. That said:

Quote:
Very very poor example, especially if you're arguing as to why superman won't be wearing armor. It worked for the film to an extent since they were clearly parodying modern superhero costumes....but it's not the best example. and on that note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
Watchmen is a different thing because it's a standalone story and the characters are part of that story and nowhere else. They aren't brands like Superman, so their looks aren't iconic and are open to interpretation.

That said, he was true to the characters that did reach icon status; Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan and The Comedian.
....soo basically he was true to the characters....except for the ones he wasn't true too. Gotcha.
Also, your argument about why they can be reinterpreted seems frankly reversed to me. Watchmen is a standalone story. Those characters are tied to that one story and so therefore their looks and characters are set in stone.
Superman is a character of serialized fiction. He's constantly growing and evolving as the lore is expanded and as such is dependent on his ability to remain relevant to continue. If anything, the Superman paradigm should be far FAR more open to reinterpretation than Watchmen ever should be.

Oh but what am I talking about.....there's only one true Superman and everything else should just be thrown out with the trash.

Quote:
- It is incredibly difficult to imagine someone pulling off the crotch area with no trunks.
Don't imagine then. There are plenty of examples that show it working just fine, including the latest Jim Lee JLA promo image. And don't give me crud about it not working in live action with the trunks either. Spider-man has been doing fine with nothing to cover his shame besides a skintight suit for years, and that will continue with the next movie.

Quote:
- The entire design is supposed to make Superman seem unbelievable. The more you make the costume 'realistic' the more people start to see him as just a man.
I have no idea if the people who want armor want it to somehow make Superman realistic...but for myself, I have no desire to make it so at all. Superman and his costume should be impractical and unrealistic....cause it's just who the character is.
I just want the silly outdated underwear gone.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharih View Post
He's probably a troll and while I do agree with some of his preferences, I don't agree with most of his arguments. That said:

Very very poor example, especially if you're arguing as to why superman won't be wearing armor. It worked for the film to an extent since they were clearly parodying modern superhero costumes....but it's not the best example. and on that note:

....soo basically he was true to the characters....except for the ones he wasn't true too. Gotcha.
Also, your argument about why they can be reinterpreted seems frankly reversed to me. Watchmen is a standalone story. Those characters are tied to that one story and so therefore their looks and characters are set in stone.
Superman is a character of serialized fiction. He's constantly growing and evolving as the lore is expanded and as such is dependent on his ability to remain relevant to continue. If anything, the Superman paradigm should be far FAR more open to reinterpretation than Watchmen ever should be.

Oh but what am I talking about.....there's only one true Superman and everything else should just be thrown out with the trash.

Don't imagine then. There are plenty of examples that show it working just fine, including the latest Jim Lee JLA promo image. And don't give me crud about it not working in live action with the trunks either. Spider-man has been doing fine with nothing to cover his shame besides a skintight suit for years, and that will continue with the next movie.

I have no idea if the people who want armor want it to somehow make Superman realistic...but for myself, I have no desire to make it so at all. Superman and his costume should be impractical and unrealistic....cause it's just who the character is.
I just want the silly outdated underwear gone.
so u don't wear an underwear???
i bet all the underwear companies gonna bankcrupt soon.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #19
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf2 View Post
so u don't wear an underwear???
i bet all the underwear companies gonna bankcrupt soon.
I don't often wear underwear.

But when I do, it's on the inside of my pants.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #20
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Meh I can't argue with pants haters. It's a personal preferance more than anything.

And there have been the occasional design ii've thought might look okay.

I'm always going to be hoping the pants remain until the costume is revealed, but if they don't and the design is good, I'll still enjoy the movie.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #21
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Personally I've never read the graphic novel, so I suppose I shouldn't be commenting until I have on it, but so many people have said that he translated the comics basically panel by panel, and was very visually faithful that I just assumed that was the case. Especially when there was a naked blue guy in the film, which I would have expected them to cover up if they weren't being faithul.
My understanding is that Moore intended Watchmen to be (among other themes) a critique and deconstruction of the superhero genre and mythos. In that respect, use of typically outré costumes was part of this critique and deconstruction. For his film version, Snyder basically followed this direction. It would have been counter productive (missing the point) to “modernize” the costumes so as to make them (in some sense) cooler or subtler.

But based on interviews he’s given, Snyder seems to appreciate that MOS must be diametrically different. Instead of deconstructing it, Superman venerates the mythos. (No subtextual ridicule allowed.) But it remains an open (and controversial) question whether one “venerates” by adhering to the traditional costume (which some see as anachronistic, camp) or via judicious modernization (which some fans interpret as sacrilege of the highest order).

Old 07-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #22
camp Blood
For your health!

he was not faithful and cut out my favorite parts that SOB

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 07-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #23
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Blegh I got the purple.

My LEGO Gallery
Old 07-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #24
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
My understanding is that Moore intended Watchmen to be (among other themes) a critique and deconstruction of the superhero genre and mythos. In that respect, use of typically outré costumes was part of this critique and deconstruction. For his film version, Snyder basically followed this direction. It would have been counter productive (missing the point) to “modernize” the costumes so as to make them (in some sense) cooler or subtler.

But based on interviews he’s given, Snyder seems to appreciate that MOS must be diametrically different. Instead of deconstructing it, Superman venerates the mythos. (No subtextual ridicule allowed.) But it remains an open (and controversial) question whether one “venerates” by adhering to the traditional costume (which some see as anachronistic, camp) or via judicious modernization (which some fans interpret as sacrilege of the highest order).
Superman started to fail in the mid-80's when they went away from his traditions. Instead of going further from them, they need to go back to them. But legal issues seem to be preventing this, so they have no choice but to reinvent the character and hope for the best.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:55 AM   #25
camp Blood
For your health!

stronger blue and added texture ( its supposed to be similar to routh's suit fabric)

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Closed Thread