Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #51
Superman_20
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
Brighter blue, darker yellow, and tried to take some of the depth out of the shield.

I don't know if it is an illusion or not but the blue looks more purpleish now than in the original manip or the other variations.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #52
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Superman started to fail in the mid-80's when they went away from his traditions. Instead of going further from them, they need to go back to them. But legal issues seem to be preventing this, so they have no choice but to reinvent the character and hope for the best.
And again you fail to notice that, in the mid-80s, bright and colorful characters aplenty started getting phased out for the grimdark characters. Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns changed things. That's why Spawn became such a hit in the early 90s. That's why Venom became such a huge character. That's why both Superman and Captain America began to suffer in sales. That's why Cap only got big sales again when he was violently murdered and replaced with a gun wielding former assassin. You fail to grasp that the squeaky clean image of Superman, with the bright red panties and optimistic smile, is just not cool anymore.

Now, I'm not saying I want Superman to be grimdark, as that would suck. And I'm not saying I want the Tim Burton Frankenstein nightmare costume either. But come on guys, there is a difference between keeping with tradition and stagnation.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #53
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_20 View Post
I don't know if it is an illusion or not but the blue looks more purpleish now than in the original manip or the other variations.
And it seems as if his "bits" have been nipped off.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:30 PM   #54
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 7

Quote:
It depends on what kind of monitor you're looking at it from. I had the same thought so I tried switching to one of the other monitors at my work place and it looks either borderline royalblue/purple, or just straight up bizzarro style purple depending on whether i'm on my fancy LG's, or last years Viewsonics. I appreciate the want for a deeper blue, but i'd recommend shifting it a little more to the blue end to avoid confusion.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #55
Superman_20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
And it seems as if his "bits" have been nipped off.
I am referring to the shade of the blue though. The original from HanktheTurtle is here:

And I think the best variation off of that is this Earth One inspired one, which would look great in a Zack Snyder world and makes the red stand out quite a bit. The only thing I don't like is the side-way belt loops and the different colors between the "S" and belt but I am sure anyone could fix that. Shame no one has made this into a total Earth One manip with the boots and yellow around the "S".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharih View Post
It depends on what kind of monitor you're looking at it from. I had the same thought so I tried switching to one of the other monitors at my work place and it looks either borderline royalblue/purple, or just straight up bizzarro style purple depending on whether i'm on my fancy LG's, or last years Viewsonics. I appreciate the want for a deeper blue, but i'd recommend shifting it a little more to the blue end to avoid confusion.

Ah I see. I am on a Samsung SyncMaster LCD, that is probably why it has a purple color look to it for me.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #56
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckenstein View Post
What's the point of a belt if it's not holding anything up?
Has the belt ever hold anything?

Old 07-07-2011, 03:45 PM   #57
mercureyx
Side-Kick

I'm sure someone's done this already, but what do you think of this?

Old 07-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #58
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
I am referring to the shade of the blue though. The original from HanktheTurtle is here:
Yes, Hank at EyesSkyward was more careful with Supes' "bits."

Old 07-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #59
Puckenstein
JETPACKS ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Has the belt ever hold anything?
Well, the trunks have always had belt loops. Just having a belt there, slung around his hips and waist, looks kind of Takei.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #60
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercureyx View Post

Looks fine. The Superman suit has been tweaked here and there to make it distinguishable for every new comic iteration, film, television show, cartoon, etc. for decades. I fail to see why some keep complaining, "Oh my God! They changed the suit!"

Where have these whiners saying this been for years?

Last edited by FilmNerdJamie; 07-07-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #61
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:

Still prefer my version:

But if you're going to go with the undies....I hope they at least have the sense to NOT use that mess of seams from the official DC version and/or armor. That's a middle of the road approach that will leave EVERYONE dissatisfied.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:01 PM   #62
JAKŪ
Upstart

Both versions are just attempts to bring the design slightly back to the original.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #63
camp Blood
For your health!

gold does look good

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 07-07-2011, 04:11 PM   #64
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
Both versions are just attempts to bring the design slightly back to the original.
Well that's cause there's not really much wrong with the original for the most part IMO. Just the undies. Remove those and find a way to balance the design and I'll be happy....although I do like the high collar and the wrists personally.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:13 PM   #65
JAKŪ
Upstart

The trunkless design only works because of Jim Lee's heavy rendering. I don't see it holding up when another artist draws it. It doesn't when Perez draws it and he's one of the best artists in the business.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:20 PM   #66
camp Blood
For your health!

simple change that's all and it makes it way better

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 07-07-2011, 04:24 PM   #67
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
The trunkless design only works because of Jim Lee's heavy rendering. I don't see it holding up when another artist draws it. It doesn't when Perez draws it and he's one of the best artists in the business.
They'll figure it out I think. There's just going to be a weird transitional period for a little while probably as each artist works towards adapting it to their style. I guess he saw Jim Lee's concepts and got the wrong idea from it.

Edit:
Besides.....approach it right and I bet they can make it look great for the movie and/or a hypothetical Superman videogame.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #68
mercureyx
Side-Kick

I know this isn't going to change anyones opinion of what the costume will look like, and it's fun to debate the merits of the classic design versus a redesign, but I can assure you the Man of Steel Superman costume will not simply be the classic costume rendered with modern materials.

Look at what Snyder's approach was to redesigning the more "campy" and dated elements of the Watchmen costumes.

The same can be said of Nolan's approach to updating the Batman costume.

See all of the "unnecessary" seams and modern materials/patterns that were used? They're both radically different designs from what was drawn in the comics, but the same basic elements are retained. There was even an attempt to keep the trunks in some form (on Nite Owl). This is the same approach that's being taken with the new Superman/Kryptonian costumes for Man of Steel.

The entire purpose of this reboot is to re-establish the Superman brand for the same audience that enjoyed The Dark Knight. There is a 100% chance that the costume will reflect this goal. WB refers to it as "reintroducing the brand" - and it extends beyond the film.

I know that won't put it to rest, but, in a couple of months, possibly sooner... you'll see .

Old 07-07-2011, 04:30 PM   #69
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:

Much better. Dunno if the belt should be gold. Maybe all the yellow should be gold, because yellow on film looks kinda toy-like.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #70
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
I know this isn't going to change anyones opinion of what the costume will look like, and it's fun to debate the merits of the classic design versus a redesign, but I can assure you the Man of Steel Superman costume will not simply be the classic costume rendered with modern materials.

Look at what Snyder's approach was to redesigning the more "campy" and dated elements of the Watchmen costumes.

The same can be said of Nolan's approach to updating the Batman costume.

See all of the "unnecessary" seams and modern materials/patterns that were used? They're both radically different designs from what was drawn in the comics, but the same basic elements are retained. There was even an attempt to keep the trunks in some form (on Nite Owl). This is the same approach that's being taken with the new Superman/Kryptonian costumes for Man of Steel.

The entire purpose of this reboot is to re-establish the Superman brand for the same audience that enjoyed The Dark Knight. There is a 100% chance that the costume will reflect this goal. WB refers to it as "reintroducing the brand" - and it extends beyond the film.

I know that won't put it to rest, but, in a couple of months, possibly sooner... you'll see .

^As I've said before though, on the other hand.....Zack Snyder did another little film that made a pretty respectable amount of money that put 300 sweaty oily men in red capes and tight leather thongs and made them manlier than all get out.
I don't think It's really a given which way it will go at this point....

Old 07-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #71
Majik1387
Casting Extraordinaire ;D

There's going to be no gold on the belt nor red breifs because of the lawsuit. How many times does it need to be said for people to comprehend it?

Old 07-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #72
mercureyx
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
There's going to be no gold on the belt nor red breifs because of the lawsuit. How many times does it need to be said for people to comprehend it?
For future installments beyond Man of Steel, you're probably right. Man of Steel is not bound by the outcome of the litigation. I'm not saying they aren't still going to hedge their bets by avoiding any potentially infringing designs, but they have the ability to do whatever they want for the first installment of the reboot.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:48 PM   #73
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Quote:
Making the belt all gold looks pretty cool...

Can you make the top lining of the boots gold as well?

Just so that there's more gold than in just one place.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #74
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post

You may wanna swing that one by Snyder. He's got a bad hearing.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #75
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckenstein View Post
Well, the trunks have always had belt loops. Just having a belt there, slung around his hips and waist, looks kind of Takei.
You mean that the trunks would have fall down without the belt? Really?

Closed Thread