red with a gold buckle then

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #102
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
Except the lawsuit negates use of trunks and a yellow belt. Any other colored belt is fine.

-True End-
These theories are being treated like fact now. Not long ago, people were saying they couldn't use Krypton either, and yet now we have Russell Crowe playing Jor-El.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #103
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
These theories are being treated like fact now. Not long ago, people were saying they couldn't use Krypton either, and yet now we have Russell Crowe playing Jor-El.
I'm really iffy about a lot of the accepted truths about this case and what WB can and can't use, but it seems to be understood and makes sense to me that the lawsuit doesn't effect this film in particular, just ones that may come after the cutoff date. They'll probably set things up to prepare for the change and continue, but when it comes to Krypton and Jor-El.....well...you only need to see them once.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #104
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

It's because they aren't theories, they are fact. They are the parts of Superman that DC would lose in the lawsuit.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #105
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
It's because they aren't theories, they are fact. They are the parts of Superman that DC would lose in the lawsuit.
^Why is it specifically red trunks that he can't have though? I'm cool with that part and all, and I get that WB owns the S....but why can he still wear a red cape and boots? If those things are judged to be too generic to be a part of the copyright why are red trunks a no-no.
Or is it just the combination of those items and WB is making the obvious choice?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #106
Showtime
Accomplishing Wonders
SHH! Global Moderator

By that token it means that Warner Bros owns the red boots on Superman but couldn't use a red cape. Doesn't make sense.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:15 PM   #107
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
By that token it means that Warner Bros owns the red boots on Superman but couldn't use a red cape. Doesn't make sense.
The Romans held the former copyright on the red cape...but it went into public domain around the medieval period, I believe.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 07-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #108
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Really? The only arguement?
Yes.
Quote:
- Zack Snyder's take on Watchmen and 300 made very little changes to their original depictions.
You wrote in another message, that you hadn't actually read the Watchmen comics, so I won't fault you for that.
But the Watchmen characters are supposed to look like over the top, silver age costumed folk.
Quote:

- It is incredibly difficult to imagine someone pulling off the crotch area with no trunks.
The Jim Lee design pulled it off admirably. So did several other masterful designs which others have created and generously shared with us here.

Quote:
- The entire design is supposed to make Superman seem unbelievable. The more you make the costume 'realistic' the more people start to see him as just a man.
Watchmen is basically a reflective critique of the superhero genre; Superman isn't.
You can place Superman in a Wal Mart uniform and no one will see him as "just a man." Superman is more than a costume.
The point is not making the costume more 'realistic', but not take a form that modern audiences (non fanboys) have been conditioned to view as cheesy.
The bright colors and the trunks worked in 1978.
They won't work now.
In a few weeks, we should have already seen the new suit.
I'm betting we are getting something very similar to the new suit in the comics.

Quote:
And I'm sure many others have come up with valid arguements why this movie should have a traditional costume (tho I think it's universally agreed that they update the fabrics and minor things to modernise it).
I haven't seen a single valid argument that does not appeal to nostalgia.
There is no "universal" consensus on anything. The responses here are hardly scientific.
Every time I see anyone think of the MOS update as mere "update of fabrics and minor things", I laugh really hard. I laugh even harder when I someone critiques Brandon's costume for straying too far from the classic design.
But whatever, we'll know soon enough.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #109
Manosman
Austinite

What about something along the lines of the Max Fleischer Superman suit?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #110
Superman_20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manosman View Post
What about something along the lines of the Max Fleischer Superman suit?

This one from HanktheTank could me manipulated to look like it since it already seems to be close on the color.

But I would like to see something like this one in the 300 background color. The yellow sandy color from 300 would look great with this suit based on the Fleischer Superman.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:19 PM   #111
BrlntDsgse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercureyx View Post
I don't know where you heard that they're rebooting Batman BECAUSE of a desire to incorporate all of the characters into a shared universe. I can tell you that at this moment, that's 100% not the plan. Nolan is going to continue to shepherd along the Batman franchise after he's moved on, and that will mean continuing to keep his universe separate (albeit, rebooted, as you've said). You won't see winks or nods in Man of Steel to any other franchises, just like you didn't see the Clark Kent cameo in Green Lantern.
On the Batman point, I doubt we're going to see a full-on reboot, but Nolan HAS mentioned in the past that his films are the story of how Batman becomes the "classic" Batman. In other words, "Batman Begins" isn't just the name of Nolan's first Bat-movie, but also one of the themes behind his trilogy. Since there have been rumors of the possible inclusion of the Lazarus Pits in TDKR, perhaps this means that Nolan will "leave off" his trilogy at a place where the films can gradually include at least some of the more fantastical elements of Batman's mythology. Thus there would be no need for a total reboot, they could just go on w/the current continuity, possibly even crossing it over w/other characters.

As for whether or not there will be any "winks or nods" in MOS, I imagine that will depend ENTIRELY on how well Avengers does at the box office. If it does great(which I bet it will), that'll probably have WB/DC seriously considering including some kind of build-up to their own shared universe.

Quote:
No, they're just theories, since we still don't know if WB/DC will reach a monetary settlement w/the heirs BEFORE the rights changes take effect. I personally still think that's the most likely outcome, since WB REALLY won't want the heir's lawyer, Marc Toberoff, to take control of 45% of the heir's rights. The heirs just want some kind of fair share of the profits from Superman, just like Bob Kane's family gets for Batman. Toberoff however, just wants to sell the rights back to WB for as much as he can milk out of them, and he'll sit on the rights for as long as he needs to to get it.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #112
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
I know this isn't going to change anyones opinion of what the costume will look like, and it's fun to debate the merits of the classic design versus a redesign, but I can assure you the Man of Steel Superman costume will not simply be the classic costume rendered with modern materials.

Look at what Snyder's approach was to redesigning the more "campy" and dated elements of the Watchmen costumes.

The same can be said of Nolan's approach to updating the Batman costume.

See all of the "unnecessary" seams and modern materials/patterns that were used? They're both radically different designs from what was drawn in the comics, but the same basic elements are retained. There was even an attempt to keep the trunks in some form (on Nite Owl). This is the same approach that's being taken with the new Superman/Kryptonian costumes for Man of Steel.

The entire purpose of this reboot is to re-establish the Superman brand for the same audience that enjoyed The Dark Knight. There is a 100% chance that the costume will reflect this goal. WB refers to it as "reintroducing the brand" - and it extends beyond the film.

I know that won't put it to rest, but, in a couple of months, possibly sooner... you'll see .
Ha!
This is very informative and factual.
Thanks for one of the best posts that I've seen in a while!

Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #113
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
There's going to be no gold on the belt nor red breifs because of the lawsuit. How many times does it need to be said for people to comprehend it?
I guess if you repeat a lie a great number of times, people will eventually start thinking it's true, right?
There's going to be no gold on the belt because it would look tacky.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #114
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Belt doesn't hold anything and has as much utility as a cape. In the end, both elements are there for a reason: they look good, but they don't necessarily have a practical function.

Captain Marvel has a belt and no trunks. No one seems to have been bothered by that.
If there is a belt, it should be all blue and not gold, yellow, or red.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #115
Majik1387
Casting Extraodinaire ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrlntDsgse View Post
No, they're just theories, since we still don't know if WB/DC will reach a monetary settlement w/the heirs BEFORE the rights changes take effect. I personally still think that's the most likely outcome, since WB REALLY won't want the heir's lawyer, Marc Toberoff, to take control of 45% of the heir's rights. The heirs just want some kind of fair share of the profits from Superman, just like Bob Kane's family gets for Batman. Toberoff however, just wants to sell the rights back to WB for as much as he can milk out of them, and he'll sit on the rights for as long as he needs to to get it.
No, the only thing that's a theory is what would happen if the lawsuit ends up out of DC/WB's favor, the details of what's owned by who is true.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #116
solidsnake86
Side-Kick

^At this point one of the estates owns the elements to action comics 1 with the other being able to get the rights in 2013. At this point WB/DC has to probably pay everytime they use those elements, doesn't mean they can't use them, just means its going to cost.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #117
The Red Hood
Banned User

Quote:
I'm sure someone's done this already, but what do you think of this?

Take this, remove the armor paneling, then put the boots on that look like the Superman Returns boots, and it's much better than the Lee "design." Definitely looks better with the "trunks," though I think just having that part of the suit colored red would work to break up the blue and would be acceptable.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #118
The Red Hood
Banned User

Quote:
I can assure you the Man of Steel Superman costume will not simply be the classic costume rendered with modern materials.

This is the same approach that's being taken with the new Superman/Kryptonian costumes for Man of Steel.

I know that won't put it to rest, but, in a couple of months, possibly sooner... you'll see .
Hey, let me be the first to welcome you here. I didn't realize we had someone who's part of the production sharing info with us! This is great! Can you tell us anymore about the suit and maybe the design of...

...oh, wait. I'm sorry...you're NOT involved with the production. You don't know ANYTHING more than we do. You're just exuding cocky arrogance and snobbery like the pro-reboot/anti-trunks decons (short for "Deconstructionists") here.

Please give it a rest. You know NOTHING for certain.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #119
M.O.Steel
Wayne Inc. Tech Support

Quote:
I'm sure someone's done this already, but what do you think of this?

yeah this was what i did...

without the collar as well

Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #120
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
The Romans held the former copyright on the red cape...but it went into public domain around the medieval period, I believe.

Brilliant! post of the day imo.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #121
spider_rob
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Steel View Post

That kinda defeats the purpose of the redesign... I mean, that's basically classic Supes right there. Might as well not change it in the first place.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #122
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.Steel View Post

I could live with that. It's a good compromise. Suitably classic for the die-hards like me, but with lines suggestive of plating or armour to satiate the KEWL kids.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 PM   #123
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
I could live with that. It's a good compromise. Suitably classic for the die-hards like me, but with lines suggestive of plating or armour to satiate the KEWL kids.
Personally, I'd call it the WORST of both worlds....

Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #124
Stephen K. Hone
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_rob View Post
That kinda defeats the purpose of the redesign... I mean, that's basically classic Supes right there. Might as well not change it in the first place.
So you're basically advocating change for the sake of change then?? It looks suitably fresh and updated to me. It certainly isn't a carbon copy of the CR costume or the BR costume.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 PM   #125
Kurosawa
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleDW2 View Post
And again you fail to notice that, in the mid-80s, bright and colorful characters aplenty started getting phased out for the grimdark characters. Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns changed things. That's why Spawn became such a hit in the early 90s. That's why Venom became such a huge character. That's why both Superman and Captain America began to suffer in sales. That's why Cap only got big sales again when he was violently murdered and replaced with a gun wielding former assassin. You fail to grasp that the squeaky clean image of Superman, with the bright red panties and optimistic smile, is just not cool anymore.

Now, I'm not saying I want Superman to be grimdark, as that would suck. And I'm not saying I want the Tim Burton Frankenstein nightmare costume either. But come on guys, there is a difference between keeping with tradition and stagnation.
The problem was that they made Superman completely generic, a Marvelized character. He was a Spider-Man wanna be...no one wants to read a fake Marvel when they can read a real Marvel. By making him have such a perfect life with no loss or pain or conflict and no contrast between Superman and Clark Kent, everything that made Superman appeal to people was lost. Numbers do not lie. The Post-Crisis Superman was a total failure and the Mercury Age Superman (2002-2011) went through too many changes to ever have a chance. Now with this new version, they have a blank slate...who knows what this Superman will be. We just don't know yet.

And the costume debate is over...they cannot use the blue suit with red trunks. It will be an armor/rubber type suit with no trunks. The classic Superman is completely and totally gone now due to legal reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Belt doesn't hold anything and has as much utility as a cape. In the end, both elements are there for a reason: they look good, but they don't necessarily have a practical function.

Captain Marvel has a belt and no trunks. No one seems to have been bothered by that.
Captain Marvel has a lot more going on with his costume than Superman does. His cape is more elaborate, he has the button flap and the arm bands. Plus is belt is more of a sash than a belt:

Closed Thread