The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #26
TheLastAvenger
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread

Well I think the concern is that if you do screenings and early reviews too early, far too many plot details leak out (including whatever teaser they might have for the Avengers). Some do it earlier than a week because they need the positive buzz. Certainly First Class did, because they were confronting a skeptical fanbase and general audience.

To a certain extent Captain America does, and I have no doubt that if the buzz is good they will let the reviews trickle out a few days early. That being said, any studio is going to want that positive buzz to come late enough that the buzz is still going when the movie comes out. The last thing you want is a positive review for Captain America getting overshadowed in the headlines by the hubbabaloo with Harry Potter. The Monday before its release is the perfect time.

Red alert status is what we saw with Green Lantern and the embargo lasts until several days before the film releases. THAT is damage control, limiting reviews to the Friday papers and hoping a lot of people have already seen it before they read the review. I know that the "screening 2 days before release" is BS, because that is only done by studios who knew it was going to be a critical flop in the first place (see: any Uwe Boll movie). Marvel has confidence in this movie; they're not going to hide it from critics, good or bad.

Last edited by TheLastAvenger; 07-11-2011 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #27
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Even if the reviews are rotten, you never know how the public will react. IMO, Tansformers was every bit as bad as Green Lanter, but the former will go down likely as the highest grossing film of the year, or at least the top 2 or 3, while the other is a huge flop. The RT reviews for DOTM were only about 10% higher than GL, but the public seems to have embraced the film, despite what I think about it.

I want Cap to be a good movie and successful enough to warrant future films. Hopefully there will be enough response for this movie to have some decent legs. The good news is after Cap and Cowboys and Aliens, there's really no other hugely compelling movies coming out this summer. Smurfs could be a hit with the kids, but on the same weekend as C&A, I don't think it will be a contender for no. 1. Other than that Rise of the Planet of the Apes, a prequel to a film that no one cared about in the first place, (although I'm a little unsure if this is the prequel to the Markie Mark Apes or the original film), and then there's Conan on the 19th, but that's about it.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #28
Frodo
Side-Kick

The thing is, that if CA is bad , it may suffer the same fate as GL in as far as audiences won't even give it a chance and see it . Alot of GL struggles were a result of audiences hearing about the bad reviews and just staying away. If the film is good that will make things alot easier to be sure.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
The thing is, that if CA is bad , it may suffer the same fate as GL in as far as audiences won't even give it a chance and see it . Alot of GL struggles were a result of audiences hearing about the bad reviews and just staying away. If the film is good that will make things alot easier to be sure.
Tbh if the movie were as bad as GL I'd hope that it doesn't succeed.

But I don't see how it could be.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #30
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I still didn't really see GL being bad though and I'm not a big fan.
I can understand people being on a tight budget and wanting to pick some entertainment and not feel cheated, but in the long run if you want to see a film GO SEE IT.
I don't really care a whole lot about critics takes on a film but will take a fan's opinion to heart before seeing a film.
Captain America I WANT to see as Badly as I did Thor I don't care what others think before hand personally.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #31
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

No disrespect meant to anyone who liked GL but I think you guys are a bit wrong on some points. First average moviegoers didn't just stay away because of personal budget limits and critics reviews; the trailers looked silly and cheesy to MANY (non comicbook) people. Secondly it really is bad to many people; not the effervescent, in your face, atrocious, like B&R or Catwoman, but just dull, boring, insipid and uninspiring. You were sitting there not enjoying anything you were seeing and just wondering why you were not doing something else. There was no character (except Sinestro for 5 minutes) that was interesting, no dialogue that was engrossing, no action that was spectacular, no VFX that was particularly cool, no flow to the story, etc., etc.,; just uninspiring.

CA:TFA however is following on from TF3 (which despite being utter **** is loved by the masses) and HP7pt2 which is supposed to be very good.

Cap has a tough battle on his hands.

Good reviews actually may not help; look at XM:FC.

Those trailers and tv spots have to WOW people!!! That's what TF3 did (overcoming the previous uber-filth TF2)

Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #32
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
I still didn't really see GL being bad though and I'm not a big fan.
I can understand people being on a tight budget and wanting to pick some entertainment and not feel cheated, but in the long run if you want to see a film GO SEE IT.
I don't really care a whole lot about critics takes on a film but will take a fan's opinion to heart before seeing a film.
Captain America I WANT to see as Badly as I did Thor I don't care what others think before hand personally.
I don't care what critics thing individually...I have my own taste in movies and I like what I like. But when I'm super pumped for a movie that I want it to be UN-FREAKING-BELIABLY AMAZING, the first glimps I get before the movie comes out is via a critic concensus. And that concensus is usually a good measure of the general quality of a movie. So when I want AMAZING and the majority of review speak to that, usually that's a very good sign...then there's the opposite to that which doesn't need explaining.

So that's my take...when I see poor reviews pile up I make a note to myself on what to expect going in to seeing a movie...because it's better to have low expectations and be pleasently surprised than having high expectations and be let down.

But no matter what, regarding this movie...I want something really awesome, fun, and well done (somewhere close to on par with Iron Man)...and if it's not, I'll be pretty disappointed. I'm sure I'll still find personal enjoyment, but it'll still be a bummer.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually
Old 07-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #33
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X

67% want to see Winnie the Pooh
96% want to see Harry Potter
87% want to see Friends with Benefits
78% want to see The Smurfs
94% want to see Cowboys and Aliens
89% wan to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes
***97% want to see Captain America ***

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/

Old 07-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #34
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Gotta look at the number of users, though. Potter has over 125,000 people that want to see it or not. Cap has 57,000. The 97% is encouraging, but we also have to look at that number.

It still has more votes than the other movies you mentioned, outside of Potter. But, let's note that on Potter vs Cap, lol.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM   #35
Dwarf Slayer
Slayer of Dwarfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
67% want to see Winnie the Pooh
96% want to see Harry Potter
87% want to see Friends with Benefits
78% want to see The Smurfs
94% want to see Cowboys and Aliens
89% wan to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes
***97% want to see Captain America ***

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/
You also have to look at the user ratings.

While Cap might have 97%, it only has 57,460 ratings.

Harry Potter has a 96% and it has 125,520 ratings.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #36
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Yeah but that still means a higher percentage of the people that voted want to see Cap rather than Potter.

No matter how many people voted. Although more people want to see Potter than Cap, more people also DON'T want to see Potter, so it evens itself out.

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 07-11-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #37
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah but that still means a higher percentage of the people that voted want to see Cap more than Potter
Potter has 1 percent lower on nearly twice as many votes. I would say that 96% on 125,000 is more favorable a stat than 97% on Cap. 96% of 125,000 is 120,000. 97% of 57,000 is 55,290. That stat more than favors Potter in this case.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #38
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Potter has 1 percent lower on nearly twice as many votes. I would say that 96% on 125,000 is more favorable a stat than 97% on Cap. 96% of 125,000 is 120,000. 97% of 57,000 is 55,290. That stat more than favors Potter in this case.
But that also means 5,000 people don't want to see Harry Potter
and only 1710 people don't want to see Captain America. Which means Captain America, as long as it gets good reviews will be a safer bet to be more liked by the audience.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:45 PM   #39
Evil Twin
Side-Kick

Haven't we learned by now that self selecting internet polls are inherently flawed?

Old 07-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #40
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
But that also means 5,000 people don't want to see Harry Potter
and only 1710 people don't want to see Captain America
That doesn't matter because the number people who want to see Potter is higher. Believe me, Marvel would rather have Potter's combo of numbers.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #41
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
That doesn't matter because the number people who want to see Potter is higher. Believe me, Marvel would rather have Potter's combo of numbers.
"Good reviews actually may not help; look at XM:FC."

But this ^^^ is what I was responding to.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #42
Frodo
Side-Kick

I gotta say, alot of times negative reviews effect whether I wanna see I film that looks like it could be either bad or ok. If its a film I've been waiting for badly like TDKR, i'm gonna see it no matter what the reviews are. However , if its something like GL which I suspect is bad , and the negative reviews confirm it , I'm not gonna see it.

In that sort of situation I ask myself," is it really worth it to spend that much money and time on a film that's mediocre to bad when I could do other things?" I that sense reviews make a difference for me in the cases of borderline flicks. I was skeptical about Thor and X Men first class but that postive reviews swayed me to check them out , and I ended up really enjoying them.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #43
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
"Good reviews actually may not help; look at XM:FC."

But this ^^^ is what I was responding to.
Oh, good reviews will def help it out. I was just pointing out where those numbers can be deceiving when you try comparing them to something like Potter.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #44
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

When will we start seeing reviews?

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Old 07-11-2011, 04:24 PM   #45
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

It's too early to expect reviews. When the reviews are good they start trickling out the week before a movie is released.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:52 PM   #46
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

The screening for Cap in my area is on the 15th. So...there goes your theories about it being withheld for critics.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #47
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Some people just like being negative, especially in the wake of the Green Lantern debacle.

I'm not saying that the movie is going to get great reviews but some should wait before condeming it to failure.

2014 IS THE YEAR DC/WB DECIDED TO GET SERIOUS.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #48
Fanticon
Sneaky-Snake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf Slayer View Post
You also have to look at the user ratings.

While Cap might have 97%, it only has 57,460 ratings.

Harry Potter has a 96% and it has 125,520 ratings.
or you could also look at user polls all over the web then compile and compare.
http://boxofficemojo.com/polls/?page...id=1860&p=.htm

Quote:
What is your most anticipated comic book adaptation of 2011?

28.8%Captain America: The First Avenger 19.7%Cowboys & Aliens 19.2%X-Men: First Class 16.7%Green Lantern 13.5%Thor 2.1%Priest 1,775 users polled. (This poll is now closed.)
I know that one's just for comic book movies and was taken before summer, but it seems to me the general interest is there.

Last edited by Fanticon; 07-11-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #49
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

I have faith in this film at the box office.

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Old 07-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #50
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
No disrespect meant to anyone who liked GL but I think you guys are a bit wrong on some points. First average moviegoers didn't just stay away because of personal budget limits and critics reviews; the trailers looked silly and cheesy to MANY (non comicbook) people. Secondly it really is bad to many people; not the effervescent, in your face, atrocious, like B&R or Catwoman, but just dull, boring, insipid and uninspiring. You were sitting there not enjoying anything you were seeing and just wondering why you were not doing something else. There was no character (except Sinestro for 5 minutes) that was interesting, no dialogue that was engrossing, no action that was spectacular, no VFX that was particularly cool, no flow to the story, etc., etc.,; just uninspiring.

CA:TFA however is following on from TF3 (which despite being utter **** is loved by the masses) and HP7pt2 which is supposed to be very good.

Those trailers and tv spots have to WOW people!!! That's what TF3 did (overcoming the previous uber-filth TF2)
This post is worth the shout out because it's spot on 100% correct. That's exactly why GL failed. Cap has a tough battle but I'm betting it'll shock quite a few of the experts and surprise at the box office.

Closed Thread