The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #51
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Default Re: The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread

As far as the general audience goes...around these threads, there's a lot of discounting the fact that, to your average joe, this movie has PATRIOTIC written all over it. That alone is going to put more butts in seats than you'd see for your average comic book movie. People will be coming to see this movie who don't even particularly care about comic book movies just for the patriotism factor. A lone American soldier kicking all sorts of ass and kicking the **** out of nazis...a moral tale of a sick kid becoming THE american war hero of WWII...this movie is going to make money just on these themes alone...let alone if it's actually a quality flick.

If it's a great movie...word of mouth will spread like wildfire because it's Captain Freaking America!

This movie will not suffer because of GL. Average people aren't equating the failure of one cosmic themed comic movie to mean that all others are less worth seeing, let alone one that's grounded in WWII.

X-Men: FC didn't make tons of money because the last 2 were lackluster and there were (technically) 4 previous movies...meaning it's not so fresh a franchise. So it had 2 strikes going against it...if it hadn't have been a quality flick, the X-Men franchise would have been seriously damaged.

So mark my words....this movie will make plenty, if not tons, of money.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually

Last edited by Spider-X; 07-12-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:26 AM   #52
Asgard
Kanga Fu

http://slumz.boxden.com/f218/captain...-buzz-1564595/
Quote:
The Chris Evans headlining film about Marvel's Star Spangled Avenger has gone through it's first critics screening and word on the street suggests it's going to be a hit.

Late last week several critics from long-lead news outlets (movie magazines, newspapers and other print mediums) attended a screening of Captain America. Though no official reviews or opinions were shared publicly, word has gotten out that the film was unanimously approved. Surprisingly, the film was noted to be more akin to Marvel Studios' 2008 hit Iron Man as apposed to the company's other 2011 release, Thor; with some of the critics even saying The First Avenger's quality tops that of their Armored Avenger.

Old 07-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #53
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

^^^^

That's great news Asgard!!!

The first step is always to have a quality movie with great mass market appeal.

One thing that is quite inspiring is that on comingsoon.net they had a poll up asking which July release were you most looking forward to. And CAPTAIN AMERICA: The First Avenger beat Harry Potter... However that only evaluates the demographic of people who go to that site, which may be skewed towards comicbook fans.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that we get a GREAT movie and that it's a blockbuster!!!!!

Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #54
hatebox
Side-Kick

I never really trust 'early buzz' articles like that, but good news if it pans out. I think people are up for an old fashioned, indiana-jones-esque romp if done well.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #55
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard View Post
that's already been posted...the article is from 6/18/11. It's good news, but I'm craving something new.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #56
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

yeah I hope that this is true, but an article that came out on 6-18, it wouldn't have been reviewd by critics that early. So I'm not sure what to make of this, but crossing my fingers.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #57
glorynation
Side-Kick

It's Tuesday and no reviews? ... I'll stay positive

Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #58
glorynation
Side-Kick

NM - Wrong week lol

Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 PM   #59
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

I say we could start seeing some reviews sayyy.......Friday/Sat? Latest Monday?

Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 PM   #60
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I'm extremely curious about how the critics will perceive the movie in different ways and I am ready to call b.s. on what they say, if necessary.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:07 AM   #61
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
67% want to see Winnie the Pooh
96% want to see Harry Potter
87% want to see Friends with Benefits
78% want to see The Smurfs
94% want to see Cowboys and Aliens
89% wan to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes
***97% want to see Captain America ***

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/
LOL, 96% of people had wanted to see Green Lantern before it came out...and look how that worked out.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #62
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
I'm extremely curious about how the critics will perceive the movie in different ways and I am ready to call b.s. on what they say, if necessary.
Someone is bitter over the fact that Green Lantern flopped, huh?

Don't worry, I'm sure F# Bell will get a spin-off. lol.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM   #63
Spider-X
Big damn hero

you people do realize that the Audience Want To See rating on RT only pertains to the people who actually voted and there's always a greater chance of people voting who actually want to see the movie...making it inherently flawed and not really worth mentioning as a measurement of people who want to see it verses people who don't...right?

The only interesting statistic that could come from it are the # of people who actually vote compared to other movies and also if one got tons of votes yet the percentage was around 30% or so...that would be interesting, but incredibly far fetched (unless we're talking about a Sarah Palin documentary or something )

~ Malcom Reynolds

Last edited by Spider-X; 07-13-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #64
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-X View Post
you people do realize that that rating pertains to the people who actually voted and there's always a greater chance of people voting who actually want to see the movie...making it completely flawed and not worth mentioning...right?
Co-sign.

The average RT voter is: 18-34, Male, highly intelligent but low functioning, and lives with their parents. That's a pretty small microcosm of the greater society, and in no way reflects mainstream tastes.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 AM   #65
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

The only way it's useful is to compare the box office results of previous movies to the %s listed.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #66
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatte View Post
The only way it's useful is to compare the box office results of previous movies to the %s listed.
I fail to see how it's useful in that fashion...as KangConquers mentioned, the % is in no way indicative of greater society or the general audience of movie goers.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #67
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

You only know if it's indicative of a movie's performance if you go back and look at past movies. That's all I meant.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:50 PM   #68
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Someone is bitter over the fact that Green Lantern flopped, huh?

Don't worry, I'm sure F# Bell will get a spin-off. lol.
What I said has nothing to do with Green Lantern flopping, at all. You read too much into what I said, nice try.

Even if Green Lantern didn't flop on some level, I would still be curious about how The First Avenger would be perceived by movie critics.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #69
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

fantastic news that the people in the first screenings enjoyed it

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
Old 07-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #70
mtaffer
Newbie First Class

Where did you get that information?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 PM   #71
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Green Lantern flopped because it was a bad movie. If Cap is a bad movie, it deserves to flop too. But I have complete faith in Marvel, they haven't dropped the ball on anything yet.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #72
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Even if the reviews are rotten, you never know how the public will react. IMO, Tansformers was every bit as bad as Green Lanter, but the former will go down likely as the highest grossing film of the year, or at least the top 2 or 3, while the other is a huge flop. The RT reviews for DOTM were only about 10% higher than GL, but the public seems to have embraced the film, despite what I think about it.

I want Cap to be a good movie and successful enough to warrant future films. Hopefully there will be enough response for this movie to have some decent legs. The good news is after Cap and Cowboys and Aliens, there's really no other hugely compelling movies coming out this summer. Smurfs could be a hit with the kids, but on the same weekend as C&A, I don't think it will be a contender for no. 1. Other than that Rise of the Planet of the Apes, a prequel to a film that no one cared about in the first place, (although I'm a little unsure if this is the prequel to the Markie Mark Apes or the original film), and then there's Conan on the 19th, but that's about it.
reason transformers did so well dispite the bad reviews is because it had a redeeming quality, visuals, which were not so good in GL and TDOTM is a sequal which always do better than the previous installments or close. the second is alwasy the top grossing in a franchise and the third comes slightly after as usually the third time the audience is slightly burned out and not as quick to rush into the theater unless ur following up TDK which none have had the level of achieving yet besides Superman 1978 or Batman 1989

Old 07-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #73
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Vader View Post
Green Lantern flopped because it was a bad movie. If Cap is a bad movie, it deserves to flop too. But I have complete faith in Marvel, they haven't dropped the ball on anything yet.
not correct, as bad movies riddle the top grossing list too as well as good movies. GL flopped because it was an origin story, Ryan Reynolds doesnt have the audience yet to get him those types of numbers, The audience of today is used to John Stewart GL due to the JLA series and recent renditions as far as general public goes, and its an origin story which u just have to do exceptional work as people are not forgiving on the first go around. SO bad reviews AND lackluster production on a first go around is what ruined it as Revenge of the fallen, batman and robin, batman forever, dark side of the moon, were all HORRIBLE movies but all have broken records on their release and were far from flops

Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 AM   #74
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkull View Post
fantastic news that the people in the first screenings enjoyed it
doesnt mean much as people in the first screenings of Transformers 2 and 3 loved them until after a few months after release when people started to let the hype and excitement die and see them for what they really were.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:08 AM   #75
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Co-sign.

The average RT voter is: 18-34, Male, highly intelligent but low functioning, and lives with their parents. That's a pretty small microcosm of the greater society, and in no way reflects mainstream tastes.
Rotten Tomatoes is not based on a voting system AT ALL, but merely a collective of critics who are professional journalists and critics in the industry. they calculate based on all those critics and round it up to whatever percent said yay to nay

Closed Thread