The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #76
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread

Wow. Where do these bizarre excuses for GL's failure get fabricated?!? It flopped because it's an origin story?!? It flopped because its mythos is silly with little to no mass market appeal and the movie was crap.

CAPTAIN AMERICA's success will depend upon it's mass market appeal and the quality of the film.

Is the general moviegoing audience interested in this character based upon his popularity/awareness and how much the trailers/tv spots have impressed them? That's the question.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 AM   #77
JKKS085
Side-Kick

I'am really worried to read that we won't get any reviews before the 20th.
I get that maybe Marvel want's to avoid Cap's reviews to get lost in all the Harry Potter one's but it's never good news to have critics delayed that far.

I really hope that the film holds up to it's expectations.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #78
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godman View Post
Rotten Tomatoes is not based on a voting system AT ALL, but merely a collective of critics who are professional journalists and critics in the industry. they calculate based on all those critics and round it up to whatever percent said yay to nay

I'm aware of what RT is...but we're discussing their user voting system specifically.

Check out the posts above. Acclimate yourself a bit before jumping in.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #79
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Quote:
Rotten Tomatoes is not based on a voting system AT ALL, but merely a collective of critics who are professional journalists and critics in the industry. they calculate based on all those critics and round it up to whatever percent said yay to nay
We were talking about the audience rating, not the tomato meter.

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually

Last edited by Spider-X; 07-14-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:28 AM   #80
Chewy
REDACTED

Why are people assuming there will be no reviews until the 20th?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #81
paulogonza
Side-Kick

have a embargo until this date?

Old 07-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #82
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

thats a rumor last time I checked

Old 07-14-2011, 11:20 AM   #83
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Can't we all stop worrying about when we're going to get reviews? There's no point in listening to conjecture b/c that's all it is right now. Conjecture. Guesses. Assumption. We've been told nothing. We don't know when review screenings will be held or when those reviews are going up.

All this stressing out... man!! Chillax peeps!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:48 PM   #84
mtaffer
Newbie First Class

I think it is the GL embargo that has some worried.
I read that on rottentomatoes about the reviews being held back till the 20th, and immediately thought of that movie.
Yes it's just a user on RT, but I have no reason to doubt those claims.
I know that if you go on gofobo.com, there are screenings for Cap, but they are also on the 20th, so that could validate those claims.
It's the only physical evidence I have seen anyway.
Good early reviews help a movies business, so if there have been screenings...then why not post those reviews to build anticipation?

Thor reviews were coming out already were they not?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #85
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaffer View Post
I read that on rottentomatoes about the reviews being held back till the 20th, and immediately thought of that movie.
I know that if you go on gofobo.com, there are screenings for Cap, but they are also on the 20th, so that could validate those claims.
Good early reviews help a movies business, so if there have been screenings...then why not post those reviews to build anticipation?

Thor was also the first weekend of May and summer opener, while Cap has to wait on Potter to get the spotlight. It makes sense to wait til that hype dies down so they get more notice.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #86
JLG
Side-Kick

I read about no press screenings for Cap until the 20th here http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ife/707089981/ (it's at the bottom)

But who knows if it's just the Herald pissed because they're not seeing it until the 20th.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #87
JLG
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaffer View Post

Yes, all the advance screenings for the public seem to be on the 20th. But there's no way to know if that's the same for Press.

We got reviews in earlier for Thor because it premiered/opened in Australia before it opened in the states. I believe the first reviews we got were from Australian press.

I also read (and I cant remember where) that the US premiere of Cap was moved from the 19th to the 20th. But that could have been for any number of reasons.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #88
JLG
Side-Kick

ahh well, the LA Hero Complex is seeing Cap today! So, if it's good, we'll probably start seeing reactions this weekend.

LATherocomplex Today's agenda: Interview Adam West, write up a "Transformers" piece and see "Captain America: The First Avenger."
https://twitter.com/#!/LATherocomplex/status/91543827944452098

Old 07-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #89
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG View Post
Yes, all the advance screenings for the public seem to be on the 20th. But there's no way to know if that's the same for Press.

We got reviews in earlier for Thor because it premiered/opened in Australia before it opened in the states. I believe the first reviews we got were from Australian press.

I also read (and I cant remember where) that the US premiere of Cap was moved from the 19th to the 20th. But that could have been for any number of reasons.
Local press are often at those screenings (I have been to them before), but rarely national press, which is mostly what RT and other sites post on their site. National press I think see it prior to that.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #90
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
I'm aware of what RT is...but we're discussing their user voting system specifically.

Check out the posts above. Acclimate yourself a bit before jumping in.
i apologize.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #91
Godman
Banned User

I promise this movie will not be more than a 7 out of ten for me as i hate marvels film catalog and their style of adaptation. i predicted thor would be a 6 to me and it was just that, i predicted hulk would be a 6 to me and it was just that, i predicted Ironman 2 would be a 7 to me and it was just that. same as all that date back to xmen 2000. none have surpassed the 7/10 mark to me.

I dont tolerate lack luster or easy audience pleasers. i believe all movies dont have to LOOK like TDK, but damn sure should be presented in the same manner of quality, story telling, acting, and innovation. I never want to hear "its just a comic book movie, what do u expect?". only ignorant shallow fools make such statements. Inception proved that a summer block buster can have substance...so there is no excuse to get what Thor or Incredible Hulk were. NO EXCUSE AT ALL!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #92
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I promise this movie will not be more than a 7 out of ten for me as i hate marvels film catalog and their style of adaptation. i predicted thor would be a 6 to me and it was just that, i predicted hulk would be a 6 to me and it was just that, i predicted Ironman 2 would be a 7 to me and it was just that. same as all that date back to xmen 2000. none have surpassed the 7/10 mark to me.

I dont tolerate lack luster or easy audience pleasers. i believe all movies dont have to LOOK like TDK, but damn sure should be presented in the same manner of quality, story telling, acting, and innovation. I never want to hear "its just a comic book movie, what do u expect?". only ignorant shallow fools make such statements. Inception proved that a summer block buster can have substance...so there is no excuse to get what Thor or Incredible Hulk were. NO EXCUSE AT ALL!!!!!!
Way to make up your mind before the movie

Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM   #93
J.Howlett

It'll be fine, even if I don't particularly like some of the decisions being made with these Marvel Studios' films.

But, I want Captain America to succeed because I want the lead up to the Avengers to be strong.

As of right now, their 2 out of 4 with Iron Man and Thor being the only real strong ones. If Captain America is good to great, then you have three strong films that lead directly to the Avengers.

I don't consider the Incredible Hulk canon anymore with the recasting of Banner and something tells me that in some way, the character of Banner and Hulk will get a reintroduction in the Avengers film to retcon that film.

Also, I want Captain America to succeed because of Joe Johnston. I just really like the guy. The Wolfman wasn't his fault considering he only got hired two weeks before it started shooting but I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the most gorgeous looking films I've seen in the cinema in years. It's breathtaking.

I honestly haven't been knocked out by we've seen of Captain America except for the visual palette and the time period.

I think it'll do fine in the wake of the last Potter film but boy, you gotta wonder why they didn't do July 4th for the release date instead of the 22nd.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #94
Spider-Fan
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post
It'll be fine, even if I don't particularly like some of the decisions being made with these Marvel Studios' films.

But, I want Captain America to succeed because I want the lead up to the Avengers to be strong.

As of right now, their 2 out of 4 with Iron Man and Thor being the only real strong ones. If Captain America is good to great, then you have three strong films that lead directly to the Avengers.

I don't consider the Incredible Hulk canon anymore with the recasting of Banner and something tells me that in some way, the character of Banner and Hulk will get a reintroduction in the Avengers film to retcon that film.

Also, I want Captain America to succeed because of Joe Johnston. I just really like the guy. The Wolfman wasn't his fault considering he only got hired two weeks before it started shooting but I'll be damned if it wasn't one of the most gorgeous looking films I've seen in the cinema in years. It's breathtaking.

I honestly haven't been knocked out by we've seen of Captain America except for the visual palette and the time period.

I think it'll do fine in the wake of the last Potter film but boy, you gotta wonder why they didn't do July 4th for the release date instead of the 22nd.
Because Paramount is the film's distributor, and Transformers was a higher priority for them.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #95
shogunrua
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Howlett View Post

what would that make of Stark's cameo at the end of Incredible Hulk ?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:47 PM   #96
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Quote:

If you already know what you're giving, I don't think it qualifies as a prediction.

Also, life must be awesome when you can know things in advance.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #97
J.Howlett

Well, considering I haven't heard of William Hurt being in the Avengers at all, it doesn't mean anything....

Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #98
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:

lol

Old 07-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #99
TheLastAvenger
Side-Kick

Quote:

It's hard to debate someone who begins by arguing with a straw man. You've already proven your own bias by lauding TDK and Inception as the pinnacle of cinema (what in the hell does Inception have to do with anything?), so it's difficult to reason with a Nolan zealot.

Taste is subjective. Take my taste for example. I find Batman Begins to be vastly superior to the Dark Knight. I understand and accept that I am in the minority with this opinion, and I don't go wagging my finger at folks who claim that the Dark Knight is the greatest film of all time. Just as you are in the minority in the claim that every Marvel film since the first X-Men are mediocre films. How you could find Spiderman 2, X-Men 2 and First Class, and Iron Man as mediocre is beyond me, but you are welcome to that opinion.

What you're not welcome to is outright condemnation of those that disagree with you. You know, there's nothing wrong with simple popcorn entertainment. There's nothing wrong with enjoying dumb fun (not that I'd categorize most of the films you described as dumb fun, but I'm playing Devil's Advocate here). After all, comic books were originally designed as just that: dumb fun. They may have evolved beyond that, but when a guy in a silly costume takes himself way too seriously as you believe all comic book heroes should, it sometimes comes off as silly.

I can't describe my child-like giddiness at watching the first Spiderman in the theater and seeing a hero ripped straight from the pages seem so real without coming off as cheesy. Watching him swing through the city for the first time was like the fulfillment of a childhood dream. It was exactly as I pictured it, and it was beautiful. THAT is good film-making. I look forward to that same giddiness when another one of my favorite superheroes finally gets the film treatment he so richly deserves. So, with all due respect, to hell with you and to hell with your judgmental attitude. Good day.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:38 PM   #100
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

Quote:

pretty much the dumbest post I've read in the past week...saying something considering the TDKR trailer hype

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
Closed Thread