The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #101
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

Default Re: The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread

Yeah it's too bad Marvel doesn't have as much creativity or substance as a guy who calls himself Godman and makes ratings for movies he hasn't seen yet.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #102
mtaffer
Newbie First Class

"I read about no press screenings for Cap until the 20th here http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ife/707089981/ (it's at the bottom)

But who knows if it's just the Herald pissed because they're not seeing it until the 20th."

It seems unlikely as well as highly unprofessional for them to lie about this. I bet this is the source for the RT guy I mentioned.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 PM   #103
JLG
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtaffer View Post
"I read about no press screenings for Cap until the 20th here http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...ife/707089981/ (it's at the bottom)

But who knows if it's just the Herald pissed because they're not seeing it until the 20th."

It seems unlikely as well as highly unprofessional for them to lie about this. I bet this is the source for the RT guy I mentioned.
it's not entirely true though. There ARE press screenings on the 20th but more screenings before that. Someone from the LA times is seeing it today. It's possible that reviews are embargoed until the 20th.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #104
mtaffer
Newbie First Class

Still, I don't think that an embargo on reviews 2 days before a movie opens is a smart idea. Has there ever been a time when a movie that had an embargo on reviews turned into a huge success? Movie studios are not stupid...or maybe they are.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #105
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but having SOME press screenings on the 20th does not mean the embargo's effective up until the 20th or beyond.

We have NO idea as of right now when the embargo will be lifted. It may be lifted before the 20th, even if there are screenings going on.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #106
mtaffer
Newbie First Class

Wall Re: The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread

Also, keep an eye out for any commercials proclaiming how great it is before any official reviews come out on RT. I saw this done with GL. Take one positive review and multiple comments from it and put it over a trailer with catch phrases like "FANTASTIC". Then you see it's somebody's blog as the source...desperation by the studio at that point.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #107
mtaffer
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but having SOME press screenings on the 20th does not mean the embargo's effective up until the 20th or beyond.

We have NO idea as of right now when the embargo will be lifted. It may be lifted before the 20th, even if there are screenings going on.
The Daily Herald said that not me. But obviously if it's not true they are trying to stir up negative buzz. Why would they do that?

Old 07-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #108
JLG
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post

No, you're right. I originally thought that there weren't ANY press screenings until the 20th but that's been proven wrong. The embargo until the 20th, I've only seen it mentioned on messages boards and such, with no real source (at least no source that I have seen) so I think it's still just a rumor at this point.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #109
JLG
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Daily Herald said that not me. But obviously if it's not true they are trying to stir up negative buzz. Why would they do that?

The Herald never mentioned any thing about reviews being embargoed. All they mentioned was that the Press screenings for Cap weren't until the 20th and that late press screenings were a bad sign. But they were wrong since at least one major news source is screening the movie before that (today, actually.)

They were probably just misinformed.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #110
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

We'll know more by this weekend or Monday. No point in stressing about it right now.

(I feel like I say this alot LOL!!)

Old 07-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #111
mtaffer
Newbie First Class

All I am saying is that the article definitely had a negative slant and I wonder why they would do that. I want the movie to be great and I am not a doomsayer. In fact, it's become one of my most highly anticipated movies (based on my love for the Rocketeer)

Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #112
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
All I am saying is that the article definitely had a negative slant and I wonder why they would do that. I want the movie to be great and I am not a doomsayer. In fact, it's become one of my most highly anticipated movies (based on my love for the Rocketeer)
Sometimes articles have negative slants. Maybe they're upset they didn't get an earlier screening. I don't see the point in reading into it so intensely

Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #113
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastAvenger View Post
It's hard to debate someone who begins by arguing with a straw man. You've already proven your own bias by lauding TDK and Inception as the pinnacle of cinema (what in the hell does Inception have to do with anything?), so it's difficult to reason with a Nolan zealot.

Taste is subjective. Take my taste for example. I find Batman Begins to be vastly superior to the Dark Knight. I understand and accept that I am in the minority with this opinion, and I don't go wagging my finger at folks who claim that the Dark Knight is the greatest film of all time. Just as you are in the minority in the claim that every Marvel film since the first X-Men are mediocre films. How you could find Spiderman 2, X-Men 2 and First Class, and Iron Man as mediocre is beyond me, but you are welcome to that opinion.

What you're not welcome to is outright condemnation of those that disagree with you. You know, there's nothing wrong with simple popcorn entertainment. There's nothing wrong with enjoying dumb fun (not that I'd categorize most of the films you described as dumb fun, but I'm playing Devil's Advocate here). After all, comic books were originally designed as just that: dumb fun. They may have evolved beyond that, but when a guy in a silly costume takes himself way too seriously as you believe all comic book heroes should, it sometimes comes off as silly.

I can't describe my child-like giddiness at watching the first Spiderman in the theater and seeing a hero ripped straight from the pages seem so real without coming off as cheesy. Watching him swing through the city for the first time was like the fulfillment of a childhood dream. It was exactly as I pictured it, and it was beautiful. THAT is good film-making. I look forward to that same giddiness when another one of my favorite superheroes finally gets the film treatment he so richly deserves. So, with all due respect, to hell with you and to hell with your judgmental attitude. Good day.
I am in TOTAL AGREEMENT with you about Batman Begins.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #114
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG View Post
The Herald never mentioned any thing about reviews being embargoed. All they mentioned was that the Press screenings for Cap weren't until the 20th and that late press screenings were a bad sign. But they were wrong since at least one major news source is screening the movie before that (today, actually.)

They were probably just misinformed.
Probably upset they didn't get their press screening last month when Paramount screened the film to the bulk of the major press outlets and websites who were then embargoed.

Wednesday the 20th is when they're having their advance screenings for contest winners, pass holders, anybody lucky enough to snag a ticket from advance pass websites and yes, local press papers.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #115
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastAvenger View Post
It's hard to debate someone who begins by arguing with a straw man. You've already proven your own bias by lauding TDK and Inception as the pinnacle of cinema (what in the hell does Inception have to do with anything?), so it's difficult to reason with a Nolan zealot.

Taste is subjective. Take my taste for example. I find Batman Begins to be vastly superior to the Dark Knight. I understand and accept that I am in the minority with this opinion, and I don't go wagging my finger at folks who claim that the Dark Knight is the greatest film of all time. Just as you are in the minority in the claim that every Marvel film since the first X-Men are mediocre films. How you could find Spiderman 2, X-Men 2 and First Class, and Iron Man as mediocre is beyond me, but you are welcome to that opinion.

What you're not welcome to is outright condemnation of those that disagree with you. You know, there's nothing wrong with simple popcorn entertainment. There's nothing wrong with enjoying dumb fun (not that I'd categorize most of the films you described as dumb fun, but I'm playing Devil's Advocate here). After all, comic books were originally designed as just that: dumb fun. They may have evolved beyond that, but when a guy in a silly costume takes himself way too seriously as you believe all comic book heroes should, it sometimes comes off as silly.

I can't describe my child-like giddiness at watching the first Spiderman in the theater and seeing a hero ripped straight from the pages seem so real without coming off as cheesy. Watching him swing through the city for the first time was like the fulfillment of a childhood dream. It was exactly as I pictured it, and it was beautiful. THAT is good film-making. I look forward to that same giddiness when another one of my favorite superheroes finally gets the film treatment he so richly deserves. So, with all due respect, to hell with you and to hell with your judgmental attitude. Good day.
While I personally feel TDK is slightly better than BB I have to agree with the overall premise of your response, very well said sir!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #116
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
While I personally feel TDK is slightly better than BB I have to agree with the overall premise of your response, very well said sir!
I also want to support your overall premise as well,
I just focused on BB because I am usually alone on my opinion about BB being better than TDK , but I agree with everything you said.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #117
Dr. Sid Jawtug
Banned User

The fellow who interviewed Evans on MTV had already screened the movie. Seemed to me that he really enjoyed it, so that blows an embargo theory out of the water. Go troll someplace else.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #118
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Probably upset they didn't get their press screening last month when Paramount screened the film to the bulk of the major press outlets and websites who were then embargoed.

Wednesday the 20th is when they're having their advance screenings for contest winners, pass holders, anybody lucky enough to snag a ticket from advance pass websites and yes, local press papers.
Bingo! I have gone to local press screenings/advanced ticket pass winners screenings before. This is a common practice. The major outlets have already seen it, or are about. Local press or less important press tend to have to wait til the week of the movie's release to see it, and in this case. I have seen no rumor on an embargo from any sources, and I don't think there is one. We'll prob start seeing reviews starting Monday or Tuesday, which is my guess. They prob want to roll them out after the Potter buzz this weekend.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 PM   #119
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Bingo! I have gone to local press screenings/advanced ticket pass winners screenings before. This is a common practice. The major outlets have already seen it, or are about. Local press or less important press tend to have to wait til the week of the movie's release to see it, and in this case. I have seen no rumor on an embargo from any sources, and I don't think there is one. We'll prob start seeing reviews starting Monday or Tuesday, which is my guess. They prob want to roll them out after the Potter buzz this weekend.
I actually believe we will start seeing some this weekend, buuuuuut I agree latest will be monday/Tues but you seem to know about the system than I so I will concede to your prediction

Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #120
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godman View Post
I promise this movie will not be more than a 7 out of ten for me as i hate marvels film catalog and their style of adaptation. i predicted thor would be a 6 to me and it was just that, i predicted hulk would be a 6 to me and it was just that, i predicted Ironman 2 would be a 7 to me and it was just that. same as all that date back to xmen 2000. none have surpassed the 7/10 mark to me.

I dont tolerate lack luster or easy audience pleasers. i believe all movies dont have to LOOK like TDK, but damn sure should be presented in the same manner of quality, story telling, acting, and innovation. I never want to hear "its just a comic book movie, what do u expect?". only ignorant shallow fools make such statements. Inception proved that a summer block buster can have substance...so there is no excuse to get what Thor or Incredible Hulk were. NO EXCUSE AT ALL!!!!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #121
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkull View Post
pretty much the dumbest post I've read in the past week...saying something considering the TDKR trailer hype
You'd think he was talking about Bayformers or something.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 PM   #122
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
I actually believe we will start seeing some this weekend, buuuuuut I agree latest will be monday/Tues but you seem to know about the system than I so I will concede to your prediction
I think we MIGHT start seeing them this weekend...but I can see them waiting til Monday so Potter fever won't be in full force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
LOL! I almost fell out of my chair!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 PM   #123
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Best. Meme. Ever!!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #124
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Owned by House!

Old 07-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #125
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

can we get one of those Y U NO LIKE MARVEL MOVIES pics?

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
Closed Thread