The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #26
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread!

Great movie. Definitely had the most heart out of all the Marvel movies.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Old 07-20-2011, 10:21 PM   #27
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Agreed. It almost didn't feel like a Marvel movie at all. A lot of that had to do with setting, but also because of the heavy emotional element.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #28
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

OK -- here's My Review (only minor spoilers)

First, let's get the basic stuff out of the way: Rating: 8/10

I liked the movie a lot, and it measures up nicely to both Thor and X-Men: First Class I enjoyed it every bit as much as Thor.

The cinematography looked great, and the action scenes were good, although I have to admit I would have liked to see them go on a bit longer than they did with regard to Cap's battlefield scenes. There is a montage of Cap and the Howling Commandos fighting various battles over the course of the War, and it is effective, but it left me wanting more.

As suspected, there were very little actual "Nazis" in the movie, as Red Skull and Hydra are actually shown breaking away from Hitler's authority early on in the film. The four SS officers who come to investigate the Skull's activities before he dramatically makes his independence from Hitler clear are really the only swastika-wearing Nazis in the movie. Even Cap's aforementioned battle montage seems to just involve Hydra soldiers.
But in spite of the fact that we don't see historical Nazi soldiers getting the beat-down from Cap, I ended up not really too bothered by it. It's made clear that there are plenty of stories to tell about the exploits of Cap and the HCs, so that time period could always be revisited again.

This movie is indeed "earnest" and heartfelt, as many critics have said -- and anyone who knows Captain America should be perfectly happy with that. If you prefer your heroes wise-assed, brooding or conflicted, look elsewhere. I was very satisfied with Evans' portrayal of Cap, and it was clear that the writers tried very hard to give Cap fans of different generations something they wanted to see.

So again -- a few scenes where I think some opportunities were missed, mostly in the action department, but overall a very satisfying addition to Marvel's "all-winners" summer of 2011 lineup.

Last edited by The Lizard; 07-20-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #29
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

I'm so pumped for my midnight showing tomorrow! My friends and I might get those shield frisbees and bring 'em to the theater!

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 07-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #30
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

just watched the movie...heres my spoilerish review:

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
first thing i want to let u fans know that is THIS MOVIE WAS AS GOOD AS IRON MAN. well at least in my opinion. this movie reminded me of what a superhero is, rather than just superpower. loved how the story progressed throughout the film. the negative part of the movie, which if fixed would be as good as dark knight, was the character development of red skull and peggy carter. another major con was the underdevelopment of the character of bucky barnes and his death seems so premature and random.... like there should have bin some sign of his demise. There should have bin more shield throwin but i will expect more in the Avengers...
now for the gud part, the action scenes was just right and Chris Evans was just as gud an icon as RDJ as tony stark and Hemsworth as Thor (if only they hadnt replaced Norton)....loved the romance between Cap and Peggy and the ending was just perfect.... i also like the fact on how they left the death of red skull a mystery: on whether hes dead by the cube or sucked by the wormhole....
The entire cast was amazin, especially Tommy lee jones....but hugo weaving didnt feel so threatening....
Heres my rating so far:
Iron Man/ Cap (10/10)
The Incredible Hulk (9.5/10)
Thor ( 9.1/10)
IM2 (8.5/10)
unfortunately my advance screening did not show the Avengers teaser, which i was so hyped and it was really dissapointin...but anyway the movie made up for it

Last edited by darkslayer101; 07-20-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #31
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Glad you dug it Lizard!

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Last edited by Hurm...; 07-20-2011 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:44 PM   #32
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I got more questions.

1. How many times does Red Skull use his human mask?

2. Is the build up to the feud between Cap and Red Skull good?

3. Is there a good exchange of banter between Cap and Red Skull during their final fight?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #33
spanish39
King of the Wicker People

Yep, saw it last night over at Paramount too, small world. I thought it was definitely entertaining.
Hugo Weavings make-up was insane, glad they let him show it for a while after the reveal. He looked dead-pan like his comic counterpart. Was a little pissed off about Bucky. I think there were a few parts, especially in the beginning, that were way to corny and over the top. Getting to see Cap' actually bust heads and move like he did was cool. The comic cube did seem a little wasted. Some things did feel a little forced. There was some drag but it picked up about right where it should and never looked back.
All that said, it was still pretty cool if you were in the frame of mind that it took to watch a fake WWII film. I'm glad it's done and out of the way, cause Chris looks bad ass in that NEW Avengers Cap' suit.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 PM   #34
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
I got more questions.

1. How many times does Red Skull use his human mask?
He wears it for pretty much the whole first half of the movie until he meets Cap. He is shown in shadows not wearing it while he is being painted in a portrait too, but you can't see his face then.

Quote:
2. Is the build up to the feud between Cap and Red Skull good?

3. Is there a good exchange of banter between Cap and Red Skull during their final fight?
There's not a whole lot of dialog between the two (not as much as, say Green Goblin and Spidey in the first Spidey movie), but what there is works well. I laughed at one exchange: Skull: "Don't you ever give up?!" Cap: "Nope."

Old 07-20-2011, 11:55 PM   #35
spanish39

Saw some questions, here's some answers:

Yes, the Skull's transformation is in a flashback

1. once
2. it's good, though there isn't much history involved, it' s like they find one another and know of only their reputations, then they build from there. It basically perceived as Skull is being annoyed to all hell by Cap' cause Cap' won't let up, then they fight.
3.They do talk yes, not to much, not to little (I feel)

Old 07-20-2011, 11:58 PM   #36
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

I got two more questions, what are the easter eggs that are in the movie?

Does Red Skull say schnell at any point in the movie?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:01 AM   #37
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
I got another question, what are the easter eggs that are in the movie?
There is no "stinger" clip at the end of the credits. Only a caption reading "Captain America will return in The Avengers".

Old 07-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #38
spanish39

Not really any I can think of. I mean, this is the beginning of all superheros', before Captain America existed (in Marvel world) there were only Gods. So there isn't much to show ya know. As far as the future, well, not much there either.

Oh, and they never say if the black guy in the Howling Commandos is supposed to be Nick Fury or not. You would have to think that if it was though, Nick would be like 90. Anyway...

Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #39
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanish39 View Post
Oh, and they never say if the black guy in the Howling Commandos is supposed to be Nick Fury or not. You would have to think that if it was though, Nick would be like 90. Anyway...
It's not. It's Gabe Jones.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:09 AM   #40
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Quote:
Not really any I can think of. I mean, this is the beginning of all superheros', before Captain America existed (in Marvel world) there were only Gods. So there isn't much to show ya know. As far as the future, well, not much there either.

In the comics...isn't there some anti-aging thing going on with Fury? Like he has a device or a mutation that makes it so he ages slower...or he just doesn't age after a certain point?

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
More to come...eventually
Old 07-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #41
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-X View Post
In the comics...isn't there some anti-aging thing going on with Fury? Like he has a device or a mutation that makes it so he ages slower...or he just doesn't age after a certain point?
He took the Infinity Formula which caused him to age slowly....it got to all the HC and thats how they continued to operate after the war

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 AM   #42
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Does Cap address anyone as "son" even once in the entire film?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:23 AM   #43
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
He took the Infinity Formula which caused him to age slowly....it got to all the HC and thats how they continued to operate after the war
awesome! thanks for explaining that...it's been bothering me for the longest time. I wonder if they'll do something similar to this with the movie universe to explain why he was around (if he is actually around in WW2 in this movie).

~ Malcom Reynolds

Do you like movie reviews, trailers, etc? If so, might I recommend my oh-so-tasteful movie blog: Reel Hero
Old 07-21-2011, 12:27 AM   #44
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-X View Post
awesome! thanks for explaining that...it's been bothering me for the longest time. I wonder if they'll do something similar to this with the movie universe to explain why he was around (if he is actually around in WW2 in this movie).
he's not in WW2

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 AM   #45
Spider-X
Big damn hero

Quote:
he's not in WW2
...well that settles that mystery!

~ Malcom Reynolds

Old 07-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #46
Compi716
The SHH! Jew

Quote:
Yep, saw it last night over at Paramount too, small world. I thought it was definitely entertaining.
Hugo Weavings make-up was insane, glad they let him show it for a while after the reveal. He looked dead-pan like his comic counterpart. Was a little pissed off about Bucky. I think there were a few parts, especially in the beginning, that were way to corny and over the top. Getting to see Cap' actually bust heads and move like he did was cool. The comic cube did seem a little wasted. Some things did feel a little forced. There was some drag but it picked up about right where it should and never looked back.
All that said, it was still pretty cool if you were in the frame of mind that it took to watch a fake WWII film. I'm glad it's done and out of the way, cause Chris looks bad ass in that NEW Avengers Cap' suit.
Why are you pissed about Bucky?

I write for this talent agency's blog. Read it, 'cause it's awesome: http://atbtalent.blogspot.com/
Old 07-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #47
roach
I am the night

so is the Avengers trailer not attached or was that just with the special screenings?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:44 AM   #48
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
so is the Avengers trailer not attached or was that just with the special screenings?
They didn't have it attached for special screenings.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 AM   #49
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

So its just in the normal screenings?

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #50
Slick
Monster King

I hope so I'm going to the midnight showing and I've been hyping the teaser so much to my friends.