Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 04:18 PM   #76
camp Blood
For your health!

Default Re: The Official Costume Thread - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen K. Hone View Post
Apart from the belt/waistline treatment, I quite like this. It is close enough to what I consider classic is, but at the same time puts a fresh spin on that look.

The seams psuedo armour doesn't bother me, because at least to my eyes, it doesn't look like actual armour. It actually might be one of the best proposals I ever seen. I imagine rendered in real (movie) life, it could look quite spectacular.
on one hand i agree i just see a form fitting high shine fabric

on the other hand i see this kind of armor

http://www.zazzle.com/toxicavenger/tshirts

Old 07-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #77
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
No, it is an artistic preference. All-Star Superman, Birthright, etc, are modern comics written by people who understand Superman, and I think they are excellent. It also proves that a classic Superman works in a modern setting,
Birthright is one thing....but All-Star?!?! Really? You would characterize All-Star as a Modern setting?

Quote:
Batman became more popular because he stayed true to his origins as a grim detective with a crusade against crime.
That doesn't answer his point. Simply going back to your origins/roots doesn't automatically mean you're doing what is best and/or what is necessary to make the character more relevant.
I joked about it early...but i don't think even you could seriously suggest that every serialized fictional character would be better off going back to their roots. Some....absolutely. Most....uhhhhhhh.....maybe. All....don't make me laugh.

Besides; Batman as he exists today in popular culture is the culmination of many decades worth of writers and artists input and additions to the mythology. Yes, he in many ways has gone back to his roots, but their still exist...rightly so perhaps, elements from the goofier days of the caped crusader that are in some ways just as iconic.
I say this....because I think a lot of people feel that is the approach Superman really needs.

Quote:
As I said before, I'm done here. We're just going around in circles with you repeating what DC and books like Wizard proclaimed for years as the truth about Pre-Crisis Superman, and nothing I try to teach about the history of Superman is doing any good.
Maybe it's not working because you're not really even answering any point brought against you, but instead you're just repeating your same arguments ad nauseam to anyone who would challenge them.

Just a thought.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #78
blueboy2010
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker2007 View Post
guys, check out this insane cgi superman flight test.

I cannot believe this CGI was done by someone without a hollywood budget.

It wipes the floor with anything in Superman returns, and makes a mockery of the view that they couldn't put the s shield on the cape.

Snyder bet look at this cgi if he insists on using a cgi superman for some scenes.

astonishing

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
This guy's work is amazing. Love how he puts Chris Reeve's face onto Superman and uses a really beautiful classic version of the suit.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #79
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Your ignorance is amazing. Comic sales in general is down, but the point is Superman's market share is way down. From top ten to mid-thirties is a huge decline.
And your ignorance and arrogance in ignoring other factors, such as how dark and gritty characters became popular in the 80's and 90's, thus moving people away from the bright and cheery and optimistic Superman in general, as well as the domination of Marvel, continues to boggle even the greatest of minds.

So Jimmy Olsen outsold Spider-Man huh? Man, if only Spidey had more Turtle Boy moments. Then he could have been more successful...

Quote:
Sales on Superman titles began to decline in the early 80's when they longtime Superman writers Elliot S! Maggin, Cary Bates, and Marty Pasko left the titles and were replaced with lesser Marvel writers like Gerry Conway and Marv Wolfman. Some of those same writers convinced the executives at DC that Superman and the DCU in general was fundamentally flawed, which led to COIE and the Superman revamp. 25 years and 5 universal reboots later, DC is still a distant #2 to Marvel and Superman comics are bland, middle of the road selling books.

As for Grant's new direction, I expect good things from it but unfortunately the lawsuits will limit just how iconic their Superman will be...they're losing a lot of key components.
AS ONLY I, KUROSAWA, BELIEVE!

There. Just put that at the end of every one of your posts. That will greatly decrease the critical amount of smug, whining, arrogant and self important fan boy that reeks from every single one of your posts. And please realize that not everything you say is a fact, even if you believe it.

Also, COSTUME THREAD!

Old 07-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #80
KyleDW2
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think Superman should be recognizably developed based in his core principles like Batman is. Batman flourished when he was taken back to his roots as a grim detective. Superman likewise needs to go back to his roots. They need to return to what made people like the character in the first place.
Or maybe, and I really want you to think about this part, because you always ignore it, people just changed their tastes and started liking grim characters in general? Look at what happened when Superman sales began to decline. Watchmen skyrocketed. V for Vendetta. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. Dark Knight Returns. Spawn. Venom. Wolverine. You know what stopped selling? Traditional cape comics. Because people wanted dark and gritty. Convenient how that happened at the exact time you are talking about.

But no, it must be because everyone in the world feels exactly how Kurosawa does about Superman. What a visionary he must be to tap into the public conscience so.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #81
Karelia
We Are Groot

I like the new Superman comics... Every character changes over time.

Best thing you guys can do is ignore Kurosawa and discuss the costume design. I don't believe many people feel the way he does that are under the age of 25 anyways.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Old 07-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #82
camp Blood
For your health!

this is getting heated, lets try and get back to to costumes

here is a multi blue costume with larger red clasps, no gold trim on the boots which i tried to fill to and make them look less like socks

most important is the depth of the shield

Last edited by camp Blood; 07-16-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #83
Motown Marvel
Crimson and Clover

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker2007 View Post
guys, check out this insane cgi superman flight test.

I cannot believe this CGI was done by someone without a hollywood budget.

It wipes the floor with anything in Superman returns, and makes a mockery of the view that they couldn't put the s shield on the cape.

Snyder bet look at this cgi if he insists on using a cgi superman for some scenes.

astonishing

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
dont be ridiculous.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #84
fixxxer1022
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp Blood View Post

here is a multi blue costume with larger red clasps, no gold trim on the boots which i tried to fill to and make them look less like socks

we need a lighter blue and the trunks are pulled up to high. the red straps on the belt need to go too.

Old 07-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #85
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:

This is damn near perfection. The only problem is I'm not sure about the two tone on the legs. The design seems off for some reason. The two tone on the upper body is perfect.

I really like that shied, but not sure about the "clasps".

Old 07-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #86
camp Blood
For your health!

made the blue 20% stronger and got rid of the belt loops and lowered the trunks for fixxxer, eldude i put the clasps in because i like them and feel it makes the cape look for "attached" and not just tucked in
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

and i found this online looking for superman concepts not sure how i feel about it but figured some might like it on here

Last edited by camp Blood; 07-16-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:46 PM   #87
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:

and i found this online not sure how i feel about it but figured some might like it on here
Terrible. Find whoever made and slap them with a glove.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #88
TheIncredibleSk
Hard hitting opinions.

Quote:
There is no possible way YOU could ever say anything that is over MY head when it comes to comics, sorry. All you've done is repeat old 80's and 90's Wizard Magazine bullet points without a single original thought. To put it most directly, you don't know what you're talking about and no interest in learning. There's no reason for us to discuss these matters further.

No, it is an artistic preference. All-Star Superman, Birthright, etc, are modern comics written by people who understand Superman, and I think they are excellent. It also proves that a classic Superman works in a modern setting, and works much better than Byrne's Marvelized character who lost what made him unique.

I'm no fan of the silly stuff of the Silver Age but I do support the core principles of Superman which were in effect from his creation, through the Silver Age and onto the Bronze Age. The Silver Age was the height of his popularity but Superman was himself from 1938-1986. The Marvelized Superman from 86-2002 or so is the version I dislike. The last 10 years have been a flux version with elements of everything but they never stuck with one approach long enough. This new origin will be the 5th in the last 10 years. Even though I disliked Iron Age Superman, at least he had stability.

As for comparing sales of movie tickets to comic book sales, that's apples and oranges and best done with the original Superman movie anyway-and a lot of people WOULD argue that it is the template for depicting Superman, although I would disagree with them.

And actually Superman himself was fine in Superman IV, it was the rest of the movie and the low budget that hurt it.

Batman became more popular because he stayed true to his origins as a grim detective with a crusade against crime.

As I said before, I'm done here. We're just going around in circles with you repeating what DC and books like Wizard proclaimed for years as the truth about Pre-Crisis Superman, and nothing I try to teach about the history of Superman is doing any good.
We are done here since you never even argued my points. You just said the same BS you've always been saying.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #89
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Top 25 is not top ten. And while a straight Silver Age Superman might not have been a top ten seller in that era, a more Bronze Age Superman would have. Bronze Age Superman is what the modern Superman should be.

Check out the 60's sales on that link. Here's a sample: 1965:

1) Superman DC 823,829
2) Superboy DC 672,681
3) Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane DC 556,091
4) Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen DC 554,931
5) Action Comics DC 525,254
6) Adventure Comics DC 520,440
7) Archie Archie 467,552
8) World's Finest Comics DC 465,842
9) Batman DC 453,745
10) Walt Disney's Comics & Stories Gold Key 410,209

Are you freaking serious?
What world do you live in?
Do you understand that you are quoting numbers ,that are nearly
FIFTY YEARS OLD?
Do you really think those numbers are relevant in any way in 2011?

Do you seriously believe what worked for audiences in 1965 would work in 2011?

Wow.

You need to step out and interact with real people in the real world.
If you really believe that Superman sold more comics in the sixties because he was better written, then you are out of touch with reality.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #90
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
made the blue 20% stronger and got rid of the belt loops and lowered the trunks for fixxxer, eldude i put the clasps in because i like them and feel it makes the cape look for "attached" and not just tucked in

and i found this online looking for superman concepts not sure how i feel about it but figured some might like it on here
That looks horrendous.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #91
camp Blood
For your health!

the thing that works is that it doesn't look like a blue leotard

Old 07-16-2011, 08:27 PM   #92
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

I appreciate what you're trying to do with the two tone blue, but If I could make a suggestion;
I think the two tone works a lot better when you keep the darker more saturated color on the inside, and the lighter color on the exterior of the suit. But in this one you have it reversed. Take the concept for Superman Earth-one as an example:

Looks more natural imo.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:29 PM   #93
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaoth View Post
Are you freaking serious?
What world do you live in?
Do you understand that you are quoting numbers ,that are nearly
FIFTY YEARS OLD?
Do you really think those numbers are relevant in any way in 2011?

Do you seriously believe what worked for audiences in 1965 would work in 2011?

Wow.

You need to step out and interact with real people in the real world.
If you really believe that Superman sold more comics in the sixties because he was better written, then you are out of touch with reality.
It was relevant to his argument. Though posting the sales figures and awards of All-Star Superman.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #94
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOS View Post
The Bronze Age and EARLY Byrne-era(not the crap it's evolved into by the late 90s) is my favorite Superman era.
My favorite era began with Byrne's Man of Steel #1 and ended with Reign of the Supermen.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #95
GreenKToo
In the fire

@ camp Blood.
Man I dunno. I get a serious Flash Gordon vibe from it.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #96
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

As a continuous run Geoff Johns has the best in modern times. Birthright along with that. We're good for Man of Steel. Best story ever: All-Star, eight ways to Sunday.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #97
The Batman
The Dark Knight

As far as i'm concerned....posting 90's sales figures is just as outdated as posting ones from the 60's. Which is generally a problem with this board. People either want 60's Superman or 90's Superman...when today's Superman is trying to be the best of both worlds, so the discussion is pretty much moot anyway.

I do agree with Kuro that taking Superman back to his core will help him, and characters are rarely hurt when going back to their core characterisitics. Hal Jordan went from being a constant self doubter and villain back to his core of being a hotshot fearless pilot....and hes never been more popular. JMS brought Thor back to his core roots, and Thor has been a best seller these past few years.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #98
The Sage
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Debating which era was better in the costume thread...

Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #99
Sabaoth
Master

Quote:
There is no possible way YOU could ever say anything that is over MY head when it comes to comics, sorry. All you've done is repeat old 80's and 90's Wizard Magazine bullet points without a single original thought. To put it most directly, you don't know what you're talking about and no interest in learning. There's no reason for us to discuss these matters further.
It's already been established that you are out of touch and live in your own personal world irrelevant of what is going on in the real world.
I think the people who are responding to you (such as myself) are not trying to change your mind, but are simply trying to provide factual information, so that newer readers do not make the mistake of thinking you know what you are talking about.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #100
ALP
In The Mountains

While I do like the new Spidey look, I really do not want Snyder to make a lot of changes to the classic suit just to be different from the other movies.

"We want to see the newest things. That is because we want to see the future, even if only momentarily. It is the moment in which, even if we don't completely understand what we have glimpsed, we are nonetheless touched by it. This is what we have come to call art." -Takashi Murakami

God has a name...and it is CHRISTOPHER NOLAN
Closed Thread