The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #51
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Default Re: Kurt Johnstad, Jonah Nolan involved with Man of Steel script?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BH/HHH View Post
I dont agree with that at all. Batman Begins is way more comic booky than the Dark Knight.

I maintain that Batman Begins is the better Batman movie but the Dark Knight is a better movie.

I love both those films but I think Batman Begins is more fun to watch, the Dark Knight amps up the seriousness.
Precisely. The film nerd in me adores The Dark Knight, but I love Batman Begins for its loyalty and entertainment factor.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #52
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLantern View Post
Precisely. The film nerd in me adores The Dark Knight, but I love Batman Begins for its loyalty and entertainment factor.
Same here mate, tbh depending on my mood I tend to always prefer one to the other but they're both amazing films.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:54 PM   #53
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

The thing is as an aspiring screenwriter both films present qualities that are worth admiring, since there's different aspects they bring to the table.

Personally I'd have liked to see Goyer contribute to the script for The Dark Knight Rises just so that it bookends the trilogy nicely, but I guess he was more needed for The Man of Steel.

That being said, I'll admit most of Goyer's work outside of Batman Begins, Blade and Dark City isn't worth mentioning.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #54
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
The thing is as an aspiring screenwriter both films present qualities that are worth admiring, since there's different aspects they bring to the table.

Personally I'd have liked to see Goyer contribute to the script for The Dark Knight Rises just so that it bookends the trilogy nicely, but I guess he was more needed for The Man of Steel.

That being said, I'll admit most of Goyer's work outside of Batman Begins, Blade and Dark City isn't worth mentioning.
I like both those films and the first Blade is the best one.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #55
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

Blade, Blade II and Dark City were very well written, though admittedly Blade and Blade II haven't aged very well.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #56
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Blade, Blade II and Dark City were very well written, though admittedly Blade and Blade II haven't aged very well.
Well I dont really care much for Blade II but I still like the first Blade. I haven't seen Dark City for years so you might be right.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #57
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Dark City is amazing. It's aged fine.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:56 PM   #58
BlueLantern
Hope Burns Bright

It has indeed. I don't think the Blade series has. Just like the first Spiderman film. These films just feel off now.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #59
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I could have enjoyed Batman begins a lot if Goyer hadn't put the cheese out there, and those pretentious "with great power"-wannabe morals (why do we fall, it's what I doooooo, etc). Some scene have terrible dialogue, like the one with little Bruce and his father on the monorail. Let alone the one-liners. That destroyed Batman begins's so-called seriousness for me.

In TDK he was barely involved, and it showed.
As producer, writer and director, Nolan is responsible for every line. Heís under no obligation to use any clunky dialogue that Goyer might have come up with.

On movies with multiple writers, itís very hard to determine who contributed what. The best you can do is try to spot trends over several films. So... compare Nolanís work against Goyerís (separate) stuff - and see where the quality has a tendency to follow.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #60
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Jones View Post
Dark City is amazing. It's aged fine.
Goyer was (only) one of three writers on that movie, no?

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:09 PM   #61
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Goyer was brought into Dark City by New Line to "make it less weird."

Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #62
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
He was an integral part of Begins but had very little involvement in TDK and TDKR.
Other than co creating the storylines...

He may not be writing the dialogue, but they are still partly his 'inventions' with Nolan, if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I did like 'why do we fall' and the callback from Alfred was great.
I know some people find parts of BB cheesy or forced, but i'd completely disagree. It's lines like the 'why do we fall' thing that gave the film more heart than TDK IMO.

At no point in TDK do I feel emotional. The whole film has you intrigued in this psychological and philosophical way that almost makes you detatch from the characters. Even when Rachel dies, you don't really feel the weight of her death... just the weight of what it sets into motion, like it's a move in a game of chess.

In BB, there were a lot more instances in which I could actually see the main characters on an emotional level.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #63
7heBoss
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post

He may not be writing the dialogue, but they are still partly his 'inventions' with Nolan, if you will.

I know some people find parts of BB cheesy or forced, but i'd completely disagree. It's lines like the 'why do we fall' thing that gave the film more heart than TDK IMO.

At no point in TDK do I feel emotional. The whole film has you intrigued in this psychological and philosophical way that almost makes you detatch from the characters. Even when Rachel dies, you don't really feel the weight of her death... just the weight of what it sets into motion, like it's a move in a game of chess.

In BB, there were a lot more instances in which I could actually see the main characters on an emotional level.
Yeah, I was actually talking to someone about this a while back. I was saying how Nolan is an incredible director however I dont think I have ever felt emotionally involved watching any of his movies. Even when Rachel died I didn't give a crap, good riddance I'll say. Anyway, Nolan's movies are very Cerebral. However as far as being Visceral, I feel Snyder does a better job.

7heBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #64
--Zero-Ethic--
Side-Kick

Quote:

I've been saying this for a good while because the level of emotion is one of my few worries for Man of Steel.
I want to care about Superman and have an emotional reaction if he's in trouble, or succeeding.

..Checkmate!"
--Zero-Ethic-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #65
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:

I agree with this. TDK is a great film but I'm not emotionally invested in alot of it. Harvey and Gordon gave it heart but I never cared when that annoying Rachel character died, despite a far better actress playing the role. I love it for the plot driven, well acted film that it is but it's mostly pretty cold and thats fine because it still works.

I think that Superman should have way more heart and be a far more sentimental film than TDK.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #66
Rodrigo90
Smartest Guy In The Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I agree with this. TDK is a great film but I'm not emotionally invested in alot of it. Harvey and Gordon gave it heart but I never cared when that annoying Rachel character died, despite a far better actress playing the role. I love it for the plot driven, well acted film that it is but it's mostly pretty cold and thats fine because it still works.

I think that Superman should have way more heart and be a far more sentimental film than TDK.
Say this on the Bat-forums, and they'll kill you before breakfast!

I agree though. The only thing that makes me emotional in TDK is just seeing poor Heath

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #67
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Let's not forget that despite the critical success that the Nolans and Goyer helped bring to the current Batman franchise, that they did add/change/modify certain things of the Batman canon; so we should expect the same for Superman as well.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Batman ever having studied under Ra's prior before becoming Batman; Joker's white face paint was self induced, along with his smile, and his origins had nothing to do with Batman, Harvey was supposedly great friends with Bruce in the comics but not so much in the film...

So my point is that, I hope that we're all ready for the changes that they'll bring to the well known canon.

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #68
Karelia
We Are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Let's not forget that despite the critical success that the Nolans and Goyer helped bring to the current Batman franchise, that they did add/change/modify certain things of the Batman canon; so we should expect the same for Superman as well.

I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall Batman ever having studied under Ra's prior before becoming Batman; Joker's white face paint was self induced, along with his smile, and his origins had nothing to do with Batman, Harvey was supposedly great friends with Bruce in the comics but not so much in the film...

So my point is that, I hope that we're all ready for the changes that they'll bring to the well known canon.
I'm totally cool with that. As long as it makes for good story telling, it's all good.

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #69
souvlaki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post

The one about Harvey really depends on who is writing the story. In modern continuity Harvey had a relationship with Batman, and looked down upon Bruce. Pretty much the same relationship they had in TDK. It's been that way since Year One, and that relationship was carried over to Long Halloween. The only exception I can think of was the animated series. As for the rest of the changes, most of those were pulled off fine. Joker's changes were mostly superficial. He was still pretty much the same character he was in the comics. In the case of Ra's I actually thought it was an improvement on Bruce's origin. If these type of changes are the worst we have to worry about then I'd say Superman is in good hands.

souvlaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:36 AM   #70
Frontier
Arkham Asylum Inmate

It sounds as if Goyer did the first past, Jonah did the re-write, and now Snyder is having his boy Johnstad re-write Jonah Nolan.

Frankly, I'd have trusted in the team that gave us Batman Begins and Dark Knight rather than continuing to tweak something.

Writing is one of those things you can screw up with too many people doing it...

Old 07-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #71
Octoberist
point blank

I think the script will be fine ad long as Berlanti and his Green Lantern writing team don't touch Superman with their hack hands.

Octoberist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #72
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
It sounds as if Goyer did the first past, Jonah did the re-write, and now Snyder is having his boy Johnstad re-write Jonah Nolan.

Frankly, I'd have trusted in the team that gave us Batman Begins and Dark Knight rather than continuing to tweak something.

Writing is one of those things you can screw up with too many people doing it...
Well every Batman filmm has had 3 writers. Just be thankful they didn't go with four different writers writing different sections of the script *cough* Green Lantern *cough* .

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #73
Sgt.Pepper
Nowhere Man

Hopefully the rewrites is done by the time the movie stars filming.

I just don't like the idea of tweaking the script while the movie is shooting, although the script for X-Men: First Class was tweaked during filming and it turned out well, but I just want to be on the safe side and hoping that the re-writes is done before Man of Steel starts filming.

Last edited by Sgt.Pepper; 07-19-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Sgt.Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #74
Karelia
We Are Groot

Maybe they're tweaking action sequences. :P

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:10 PM   #75
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karelia View Post
Maybe they're tweaking action sequences. :P
That would be awesome