The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #326
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Default Re: The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread - Part 2

Really?

Cause I've noticed for the last few midnight shows I've been to (X-Men, Harry Potter, Transformers,..etc), there have always been a healthy mix of gender..

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #327
Flint Marko
Money never sleeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
Really?

Cause I've noticed for the last few midnight shows I've been to (X-Men, Harry Potter, Transformers,..etc), there have always been a healthy mix of gender..
I'm talking about comic book movies. I usually go to every single midnight premiere of superhero movies, and Cap definitely had the largest amount of girls I've seen yet.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 PM   #328
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

There were alot of girls because Chris Evans is a sexy beast. He's a charming, good acting hot guy.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #329
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
There were alot of girls because Chris Evans is a sexy beast. He's a charming, good acting hot guy.
QFT!!

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:15 PM   #330
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Quote:
Is not always like that, I know girls that just like superhero movies. I went with a friend to see First Class and she loved it. Next friday I'm going to see Cap with her.

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #331
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

According to Mojo it's friday breakdown is still heavily male but thats to be expected with these types of films. I know that women do like comicbook movies too and Suzanne and I are a testement to that.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #332
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Quote:
According to Mojo it's friday breakdown is still heavily male but thats to be expected with these types of films. I know that women do like comicbook movies too and Suzanne and I are a testement to that.
Heh heh... Indeed!

I've resorted to a number of sneaky tactics to get my girlfriends to see Captain America in the theater. Like playing up Chris Evans' adorableness as Steve Rogers and his friendship with Bucky. My GFs are suckers for a nice bromance. And talking about the romance angle helped tons!

Already, I've convinced two to check it out and they loved it! These superhero movies need a good dose of females in the seats to make them really succeed. The balance of a well-developed female character, the noble and slightly dorky hero and good action will definitely convince some to check it out.

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #333
Marvel
Side-Kick

http://www.ebertpresents.com/movies/...-first-avenger

They got it right, two thumbs up.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #334
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Good movie.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:15 AM   #335
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

Captain America was a risky property. For one, it was Marvelís biggest character in terms of the Avengers film, heís the leader after all and it just wouldnít do to have their top guy in a failing film. The second was that heís very patriotic (something that has faded significantly since the 40ís) in a colorful red, white and blue outfit. Many had fears that bringing Cap into the modern age of cinema and retaining the outfit would be nearly impossible. Director Joe Johnston had a lot going against him, trying to bring a character like this to the big screen. Despite all that, he managed to pull it off with seemingly ease.

The story starts with a 90lb weakling who is determined to join the army and constantly rejected because of his various health issues and size. Thatís when he is given the opportunity to test the Super Soldier Serum and become the peak of human perfection. Meanwhile, an organization that has broken away from the Naziís calling themselves Hydra, lead by the Red Skull have found the Tesseract. An ancient device once held in Odinís vault. (Remember him from Thor?) This device gives Hydra highly advanced technology, leaps and bounds beyond anything anyone else has in that era.

One thing I particularly enjoyed about the film was the old school action/adventure vibe it comes off as. Very similar in feel to Indiana Jones with "supernatural" powers, Nazi's (and other forces) and over-the-top action that you would find in your typical old school serial. This was a big plus for me.

The pacing of the film may not be what some are used to in todayís age of fast paced filmography. The first half of the film is much slower than the second half, containing only a few action sequences. The director instead chose to focus on helping us know the heart of the man behind the mask first. While these scenes tend to lack action, they are no less interesting. There is plenty of humor to be had and a lot of heart.

When he finally does become Captain America the action really takes off, but thanks to the character development we really get a stronger feel for who Captain America is beyond the shield smashing, super strength patriotic symbol. The action sequences are very well done, giving a great display of his abilities and the use of the shield is ripped right out of the comics. This IS Captain America. Theyíve managed to capture not only the physical, but the mental state of Cap that weíve read about and bring him to life on the big screen.

It should also be noted that Hugo Weaving did a fantastic job as the Red Skull. With a fantastic make-up job and the ability to completely melt into his role. I never once saw him as an Elf or any of his other past rolesÖall I saw was the Red Skull. And he had plenty of screen time to display his acting prowess. Though I had wished for more scenes between him and Cap.

While, I felt the film could have been longer, that doesnít make me like the film any less. I guess I just wanted to see more. Thankfully, we will in The Avengers next year. Btw. Donít forget to stay after the credits for a sneak peak of The Avengers. Overall. This was a strong character film with enough action and heart to pull you in and a love story that never quite gets started due to the way Capís time in the 1940ís ends and I look forward to seeing more in what could have been a disaster of a film, turned out to be a quality product.

9/10

Old 07-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #336
sgaana
Side-Kick

Quote:
Count me in as well. Although, I don't just like comicbook movies; I've been a comics reader for a long time (though, as I related elsewhere, I only really started paying attention to The Avengers within the past year or so).

For Thor, I definitely noticed a pretty healthy age-range in the audience, and a pretty healthy gender split. For Cap, the same seems to be holding true.

The group of us who went was 3 women and one guy. It didn't take any persuasion to get my two female friends to go; they've also been following along through all the MCU movies and watching TA:EMH. I'll probably go back and see it again with my other male friend who couldn't make it yesterday.

sgaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:16 PM   #337
flickchick85
Loose Seal

There are dozens of us! Dozens!

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #338
Raiden
What a bunch of...

I'm not sure if this can be qualified as a movie review or not; it reads like a blog from Forbes. But it's a great read and what's even better is that it is written by a real fan of Capt. America:

Chris Evans Shines as 'Captain America: The First Avenger'

Quote:
I should confess upfront, although I like Chris Evans and thought he was great as Johnny Storm in The Fantastic Four, I wasn't sure how to feel about his casting as Steve Rogers, aka Captain America, in the new Marvel film Captain America: The First Avenger...

Used to seeing a youthful Evans joke around and portray loveable smart alecks, my fear was that he might not radiate the immediate credibility and gravitas that define a "born leader." This is a character who will be giving orders to an Iron Man portrayed by Robert Downey, Jr., and a Thor portrayed by Chris Hemsworth. So Captain America needed to be someone we could all believe Robert Downey, Jr. would respect and defer to, and someone the God of Thunder would prefer to follow rather than lead.

It wasn't a knock on Evans, it was simply that the cast of Captain America was key to making the entire Marvel Universe work on film, and the upcoming 2012 release The Avengers might rise or fall on the credibility of the portrayal of Captain America. Marvel films so far have a perfect batting average in casting, and even in recasting, with Mark Ruffalo stepping into the role of Bruce Banner (aka the Hulk) following Edward Norton's great turn in The Incredible Hulk and Eric Bana's superb, underrated portrayal in Hulk. So it was imperative that the casting for Captain America maintain that perfect trend.

Well, whatever concerns or doubts I had, my humblest apologies to Mr. Evans, because he hit another home run for Marvel.

Let me make explain something at this point. I'm not just speaking as an overall comic book fan now. I started reading Captain America comics during the terrific 1980-1981 run by Roger Stern and John Byrne (and seriously, check out that link to Byrne's official site!), when my older brothers were reading the books and encouraged me to read them, too. After that, I collected Captain America comics every single month for more than a decade, until I was kind of forced to stop in 1989 (college and food took all of my money at the time). I'd read an occasional copy here and there in the subsequent years, but eventually I stopped altogether for more than ten years. Then came Ed Brubaker's stunning, award-winning run in the 2000s, and I was once again eagerly consuming one Captain America comic after another (if you're a comic book fan and haven't had the pleasure of reading this multi-year run, it's collected in a hardcover Omnibus Edition of Brubaker's brilliant first five years on the Captain America comic).

My point is, I'm not merely a "fan" of Captain America. He is in a small collection of character for whom I have a special connection and affinity, and I half expected to come away from any Captain America film thinking it's simply impossible to ever hope to do Steve Rogers justice in real life. The performer would not only have to live up to the character in the books, but more importantly would also have to live up to the character in my mind.

Chris Evans did the impossible. He became Steve Rogers, inside and out. I could not have asked for a more perfect portrayal of not only the hero in uniform, but more importantly the man behind the mask. Every single moment he was on screen, Evans blew my mind with how much he embodied the essence of the character -- not just from the pages of the comics, but the essence I felt in my heart from the time I was a young boy. Watching this film, I felt a joy and a return to that childhood excitement, while my adult demands for strong storytelling and character development were likewise treated to an unexpected but very welcome fulfillment as well.

Captain America: The First Avenger isn't dominated by a costume, or by special effects, or by action scenes. It's dominated by a great performance in a strong characterization of Steve Rogers, a young man who spent his life refusing to back down no matter how beaten and outnumbered he was in life. It is the best superhero film of the year (and I say that as someone who walked out of Thor grinning ear-to-ear, in awe, and shouting, "I need a horse!" at anyone who would listen), but is also one of the best all-around films of the year regardless of genre.

Marvel continues to put out one great film after another, bringing their universe to life and building up to an Avengers film that increasingly looks like it's going to easily be one of the greatest comics-to-film moments in history. And their success in the future just got a huge boost with the addition of Chris Evans, who rose above my every expectation and hope, and brought my boyhood memories to life again. Thanks for that, Mr. Evans and Marvel.

Captain America: The First Avenger enjoyed a $25.7 million opening day, which tops Thor's first-day total and bodes well for a possible run at $500 million box office. Reviews have been mostly very positive, and word of mouth is particularly strong, all of which is well-deserved. This isn't just a superhero film, it's a war film and a period piece and a romantic drama, as well as just a great tale of a man in search of his destiny and striving to live up to his sense of decency and responsibility in a world torn apart by darkness and war.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:39 PM   #339
Son of Coul
They call me Mr. Pym

I like.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #340
ladyloki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
There are dozens of us! Dozens!
I agree and I am proud to say I am one of them , you dont need to convince me to see captain america , I couldnt wait to see thor which I loved and x men first class was fantastic.

I grew up watching the cartoons like x men transformers spiderman, and now I am a fan of Thor and I know I am a fan of Captain America and I have not seen the movie yet lol .... plus I am counting down the days until Avengers .

ladyloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #341
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

annnnnd pretty soon it will go Certified Fresh

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:14 AM   #342
shinlyle
King of the Haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne78 View Post
Heh heh... Indeed!

I've resorted to a number of sneaky tactics to get my girlfriends to see Captain America in the theater. Like playing up Chris Evans' adorableness as Steve Rogers and his friendship with Bucky. My GFs are suckers for a nice bromance. And talking about the romance angle helped tons!

Already, I've convinced two to check it out and they loved it! These superhero movies need a good dose of females in the seats to make them really succeed. The balance of a well-developed female character, the noble and slightly dorky hero and good action will definitely convince some to check it out.
Also, how about the fact that Peggy Carter is the first girl in a superhero movie to NOT be kidnapped or attacked by the villain during the film! She actually saved the hero's butt! That's a strong woman, and a wonderfully unique approach to a female character....especially considering it was during WW2!!!

My wife said it was "all right", and then she couldn't shut up about it. She's even gone around telling everyone how great it was, now. Also, she let out a slight "Mmmm" when she saw Chris Evans shirtless. Whatever...I got to see the movie. I'm sure she wouldn't go after him....right?!

Check out my art!
http://shinlyle.deviantart.com/
shinlyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:26 AM   #343
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinlyle View Post
Also, how about the fact that Peggy Carter is the first girl in a superhero movie to NOT be kidnapped or attacked by the villain during the film! She actually saved the hero's butt! That's a strong woman, and a wonderfully unique approach to a female character....especially considering it was during WW2!!!

My wife said it was "all right", and then she couldn't shut up about it. She's even gone around telling everyone how great it was, now. Also, she let out a slight "Mmmm" when she saw Chris Evans shirtless. Whatever...I got to see the movie. I'm sure she wouldn't go after him....right?!
Don't feel bad, us ladies just can't help it.

And she'd probablywould go after him. Sorry.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #344
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:

You sure you aren't talking about yourself?

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #345
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Saw this a second time yesterday. Still love it as much as when I saw it at the midnight premiere!

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #346
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Cap is currently at 74% on RT
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain-america/

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #347
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

So in the end not even close to being rotten. Shows how stupid those early RT tweets were declaring it rotten after 6 reviews!

Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM   #348
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Eh, Paramount shouldn't have hidden the film.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #349
sgaana
Side-Kick

Quote:
Also, how about the fact that Peggy Carter is the first girl in a superhero movie to NOT be kidnapped or attacked by the villain during the film!
Jane Foster in THOR? Was never kidnapped. And at the end the Destroyer was not specifically attacking her at all. It was targeting Thor. (And while Thor wanted to get her out of the town to safety, it wasn't because she was being attacked personally; it was because the Destroyer was causing so much collateral damage to the entire town that she was in danger. That whole sequence did a pretty good job of showing that Thor wanted ALL the Midgardians to get out to safety, including Jane; it wasn't that Jane herself needing saving.)

In several ways, Thor was more the "damsel in distress" in his film, and it was really nicely refreshing.

sgaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #350
Rowsdower!
Mightiest Mortal?

I still want to know how the hell this movie is ranked (even slightly) lower than Superman Returns on the Tomatometer. I mean seriously, this movie had better casting, better acting, a better story, better action, better direction and better special effects... what did critics like so much about SR? I've never been able to figure that out.

Rowsdower! is offline   Reply With Quote