The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 07-25-2011, 11:24 AM   #51
Kar
Side-Kick

Default Re: A Power Rangers Reboot, done seriously.

In my script the way I went about it was when Rita trapped Zordon in that interdimensional time rift thing he was allowed glimpses of the future where he saw Rita returning to Earth with her monsters and a new team of Rangers (Jason and the gang) defending the planet, which leads him to specifically choosing those kids (kinda like a whole "It's your destiny" type thing).

Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #52
SoulManX
The Inspector!

Loving this thread guys!

Old 07-25-2011, 06:32 PM   #53
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Anyone see Amy Jo Johnson on Flashpoint? Damn. She's hotter now then when she was the Pink Ranger.
She's aged REALLY well.

Can't say the same about her co-stars (save for Walter Jones and her female co-stars like Karan Ashley, Catherine Sutherland and Nakia Burrise). Funny thing is, in one episode her character shares the screen with Chris Violette (Sky from SPD) and I think the Trent guy from PRDT.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 PM   #54
UltimateJustin
The Hype's Black Purist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
She's aged REALLY well.

Can't say the same about her co-stars (save for Walter Jones and her female co-stars like Karan Ashley, Catherine Sutherland and Nakia Burrise). Funny thing is, in one episode her character shares the screen with Chris Violette (Sky from SPD) and I think the Trent guy from PRDT.
This man knows his Rangers.

Old 07-26-2011, 03:55 AM   #55
Russell Nash
Immortal

"THE POWER RANGERS"

The new series would be a heavy sci-fi/action orientated show with serious undertones. Christopher Lambert would play Zordon of Eltar, the corporeal galactic sage who grants five unique teenagers with the power of the universe. The ultimate evil in the galaxy, simply known as "The Repulse" would be played by Jamie Chung, or someone comparable (think galactus but a hot asian chick). Christopher Lambert would teach the five teenagers the powers of the zero crystal in granting them unique abilities enhancing their elemental selves. The group would grow as each discovers the power from within and from each other.

No Japanese mechs, no homoerotic suits. They simply wear color specific ninja suits and have powered crystalline katana's. The putty patrol would be grey CGI masses that form into humans, stealing identities in the process (essentially pod people). At the end of the first season, the yellow ranger would die a gruesome and sorrowing death. At the end of the second season Christopher Lambert would be seduced by "The Repulse" ala Locutus of Borg. There would also be no cuts to anything in the Super Sentai franchise, this is entirely it's own product.

All of this combined with a new rock cover of the original theme would make one of the most enjoyable shows on TV.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #56
Ajendo
Banned User

No need to redo the original rock theme. The full length of that theme is bananas!

Ajendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:01 PM   #57
zeptron
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
She's aged REALLY well.

I know she and Amy Jo have never been onscreen together, but Patricia Ja Lee has also aged pretty well.

zeptron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #58
mclay18
Side-Kick

Hell yeah. Ashley from PRiS (Tracy Cruz) looks good too, albeit a bit different with her nose job.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:35 AM   #59
Dr. House

awesome thread i have had this favorited in youtube for awhile and this needs to happen before i die

Dr. House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:31 AM   #60
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

A 'serious' Power Rangers film doesn't have to mean dark and gritty. A tone similar to something like Transformers, the Star Trek reboot or Pirates of the Caribbean would work.

I'm bumping my idea again (which is essentially a reworking of the origins), just for the hell of it...

Quote:
The Power Rangers

- Zordon is a humanoid alien and not a giant head in a jar.
- Zordon and Zedd are of the same race, perhaps even brothers. They created the power rangers to act as guardians on their factioned/waring planet.
- There were 6 power coins in total and each symbolises a kind of energy/trait - Red - leadership/strength, Black - determination, Blue - intelligence, Pink - kindness, Yellow - loyalty and Green - aggression/rage. The green coin, more powerful than others was only to be used in times of great need.
- The coins were created via channeling planetary energy into the coins. A mishap with the green coin is what led to it being a more powerful/darker coin than the others.
- The coins power/energy would work by wrapping the user in a protective armour and give them a limited hightened strength and reflexes (no powers) and also allow the user to control the respective zords.
- The coins only work with those who have certain 'genetic markers' and were handed out to those who were worthy to act as guardians. Zordon was entrusted as the Red Ranger.
- Zedd doesn't have this marker but unbeknown to Zordon, Zedd is plotting to take over and rule their planet. Inspired by the accident with the green coin, he secretly creates a 7th coin but the same mishap happens on a grander scale and the planets core/energy becomes unbalanced and unstable.
- Goldar is one of the original guardians but is loyal to Zedd. He uses the 7th coin which, due to its mass of power, makes him grow to a gigantic size. In the resulting battle, the planets core starts to tear apart.
- Zordon is entrusted with the 6 remaining power coins and flees his dying planet, and the attacking army of Lord Zedd, in his ship, 'The Alpha-5' which also serves as a command station and houses the Zords.
- Zedd has no powers like in the show, Rita is his queen who is always on the look out for a chance to backstab him and take over his army and Goldar is his loyal general.

- Zordon crash lands on earth, dying, he is confined to a life support chamber in his ship. Fearing Zedd will try to take over their planet, he gives the power coins to 5 teens who are near to or investigating the crash site. From this chamber he would interact and guide the teens, similar to the series, without being a giant head in a tube.
- The team would involve either the 1st or 2nd group of characters but miss out Tommy until the 2nd film.
- The group, from the local high school, are familiar with each other but aren't friends as they all belong to different social groups. Jason - athlete/Jock, Zack - party guy, Billy - science nerd, Kimberly - cheerleader, Trina - musician. So the movie would be about them shedding their perceptions of each other (for example, while Zack is a party guy, underneath he wants to buckle down and make something of himself) and learning to come together as a team just as much as the action.
- The zords would be based on the dino zords from the first series. The zords, as part of the power of the coin, have the power to 'morph' into what each new user desires (so the zords whilst in use on Zordons planet would look like the Shogun Zords). Dinozords are chosen, when Billy is the first to touch the coins and, being a science buff, they pick up on his hobby/fascination with dinosaurs.
- While the zords would resemble the Dinozords they would have a more alien looking influence (similar to how Oozes Metamophocons were alien looking bugs in the first movie).
- The rangers, on a training mission, end up using the zords to help out when an earthquake causes the suspension bridge to start breaking up, where they gain media coverage and thus gain the moniker, 'Power Rangers'.
- Zedd, following Zordon to earth would send out his putty men to try and track down the teens and the power coins
- The putty men who would act as minor villains are Zedds army, a group of his dead people that he turned into zombie-like beings to do his bidding. The putty men would not be as 'dumb' as in the series and while not a major threat, would be somewhat harder to beat. Once defeated the putty men would become 'dead' again thus, giving Zedd the need to replenish his ranks whenever possible.
- The final showdown would be between the giant Goldar (who is bigger than the zords seperately but equal to the Megazord) and the Megazord.

The sequel would see Zedd finding the green power coin (lost in the crash of the Alpha-5 in the first film) which is the coin for the Dragon Zord, the biggest and most powerful Dinozord. Zedd would recruit an introduced Tommy and corrupt him with the power of the Green Coin. The 2nd film would basically be the whole Green Ranger saga with the 3rd film, Tommy becoming the White Ranger - using a neutralised green power coin, hence the 'white'.

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK

Last edited by Vapor; 07-05-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:53 AM   #61
Kane52630
Nightcall User

Pretty much it needs to be like The Avengers, snappy dialogue + humor + great action.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Kane52630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #62
dark_b
Side-Kick

yeah it should be like Avengers. then it also has a chance making money

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #63
Blackman
C'mon Son

yeah the Avengers/Star Trek tone is perfect for a film

Who owns the rights to Power Rangers now?

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #64
Incrediblejeff
Still Incredible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
yeah the Avengers/Star Trek tone is perfect for a film

Who owns the rights to Power Rangers now?
Saban brought it back from Disney.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #65
marvelman2006
Banned User

I dunno I would have to see costume designs, actors, trailer or test footage and a script before passing judgement. Its almost impossible to take it seriously though because there teenage high school kids who are chosen to become ninja warriors and fight evil but it is so campy from what the chinese and U.S. tv show was. If it was done with action like the avengers where they found a way too make it fun but not campy then yes but I get the feeling we would get more closely to the green lantern.

marvelman2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #66
Dark Sentinel
Banned User

I've always liked the Power Rangers, and even have given some thought to a possible/potention reimagining of the mythology. I want to focus more on the alien aspects of the source of the Rangers' power, and also how this reflects in their own social alienation from each other, and how they must overcome this in order to defeat Zedd (no, I do NOT want to use Rita, she is not a viable enough threat)

I only have a few ideas, but at any rate how I see it playing out:

• Focus on Eltari mythology and culture in the design of both Zordon's Command Center and the Rangers' armor.

• The Power Rangers (or simply "Rangers") were a chosen group of Eltari youths, guided by a Mentor (Zordon), and tasked with the protection of the Eltarian Power Crystals. I imagine the Eltari system was a hostile collection of planets vying for possession of the Crystals, and the Rangers were almost a monastic order that kept the Crystals from fallin into anyone's hands.

• Zedd attacked the Rangers' home world, killing them and forcing Zordon to send the Power Crystals off to the Sol System (our solar system), along with himself and Alpha 4 (who would be later reassembled on Earth as "Alpha 5"). Zordon, however was gravely injured in the attack, and had to place himself in a "vitality stabilizing crystal" in order to remain alive.

• As for the kids themselves, I want to keep as close to the original show as possible (ie, Jason=Red Ranger, etc). Yes, even keep Zack as the Black Ranger (maybe in the "assignment" scene have him make a "yo that's racist" comment--tongue in cheek of course ). However, I want to flesh out their characterization as a team by emphasizing their isolated social backgrounds (jock, nerd, thug, prep, outsider) and that causing conflict within the group, leading to their defeat on their initial outing. I will cite The Avengers as an excellent point to start from.

• Zedd is after the Eltari Power Crystals, which would make him near-invincible. I do think it would be cool to introduce the Green Ranger through Zedd's story, thus allowing Tommy to join with the other Rangers by the end of the film after redeeming himself.

As far as the plot goes, I'd have to write it down and try to generate something. I still have nothing for the Zords, but time will tell. I can't dwell on this anyway, I've got a book to write haha

Thoughts?

Dark Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:19 AM   #67
Van Petrol
Side-Kick

I could get behind this. Power Rangers were a big part of my childhood, and I just look at the Transformers films and imagine how epic a Megazord-Villain battle could look with the technologies available these days.

Van Petrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:30 AM   #68
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incrediblejeff View Post
Saban brought it back from Disney.
Since Power Rangers licensed its costumes and footages from Toei, the Japanese company that produced Super Sentai which was adapted into Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and beyond, if they do make a big-budgeted movie I think they'll have to pay Toei for the rights as well. I can't imagine Toei oppose to this, though, since they'll probably receive millions in return.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:12 AM   #69
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

As a huge fan of the series from the first three seasons, I feel that the Abrams' Star Trek approach is the best route to go. It was the perfect mix of fun and emotional moments, and character interactions. The Rangers are similar to The Avengers but the unsuspecting teenagers from Angel Grove weren't established superheroes with inflated egos.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ‘Batman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:50 AM   #70
Call Me Darkman
He's a Freak!

For a "serious" Power Rangers movie to be made, you'd have to ignore the TV show. Nothing about the series makes any sense. It relies entirely on the camp value. Elements from the show could be used, but for most part, the filmmakers would have to start from scratch.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #71
DoomsdayApex
Ćzrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Yeah, the campy elements have to go and the 'selection' process has to be re-tweaked. If the director and writers were to follow the TV show, then prepare for a flop and universal panning from the critics.

DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:22 AM   #72
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

I see the Power Rangers movie working as sort of a Green Lantern(comic, not the movie)/The Avengers mix. Five different youths from different backgrounds, with different skill sets and personalities, gain extraterrestrial powers through alien technology (like the rings in Green Lantern) and have to set aside their differences in order to stop a common threat (The Avengers).

With a lot of the basic concepts from the show as the framework, a lot of reworking (like some of the ideas posted earlier), and a great director and scriptwriter behind it, it could work beautifully.

5-.-2-.-14

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #73
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Even the goofiest thing can be rebooted in a more serious manner. Remember that Space Ghost origin comic? Bumped this due to having Power Rangers on in the background on Nicktoons earlier.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 PM   #74
gkokujin
Side-Kick

hell the Power rangers source material is a bit more "serious" than the american redeaux.

Ive always hated Power Rangers FOR its campiness. So when i found out about its original footage, I hunted for it and thus began my love affair with Toku!

Garo is a prime example of Power Rangers taken serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 PM   #75
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I think you can do a more... clever Power Rangers. Like have more intelligent / mature writing. But you really can't turn it into something too serious. And a big budget could go a whole long way.

The whole concept is rather ridiculous. And if you make it too serious, you might as well call it something else. You can make it a bit more grown up, but only so much.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote