The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Films

Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #76
TheDreamMaster
Pain is Power

Default Re: A Power Rangers Reboot, done seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I think you can do a more... clever Power Rangers. Like have more intelligent / mature writing. But you really can't turn it into something too serious. And a big budget could go a whole long way.

The whole concept is rather ridiculous. And if you make it too serious, you might as well call it something else. You can make it a bit more grown up, but only so much.
Here's the thing, I wouldn't mind a Transformers-style take on this, under the circumstance it does none of the awful stuff Transformers did. In other words, cut out the overtly sexual chracters and tension, cut the lame jokes, cut the drug references and overtly adult humor, and certainly cut any racial sterotypes.

I like the GL/Avengers idea above. You can make this serious without making it non-kid friendly. Hell, the TF movies were way too much for kids in some places and they still sell massive amounts of toys. All it needs is a decent cast, a director who can seriously adapt the material, and a writer that can balance the campy fun of the original show with the new, darker material. If a film like Tron Legacy can run on a PG, this could too, but I wouldn't mind shooting for PG-13 if it had to.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #77
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

Love all of your ideas guys!
Even though she's kinda campy, I'd like Rita to be the villain in the first film however, having Lord Zedd in the sequel.

Here's my dream cast for a possible reboot:

Channing Tatum as the Red Ranger
Jamie Chung as the Yellow Ranger
Ryan Merriman as the Blue Ranger
Lyndsy Fonseca as the Pink Ranger
Chris Brown as the Black Ranger

I'm sure most of you don't like Chris Brown, neither do I. But I think he fits the bill. The others are quite obvious. I chose them by the looks.

What do you think?

Kaya Scodelario for Mary Jane Watson!!
DerSpider-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #78
Blackman
C'mon Son

BY looks I mostly say
But when I factor in skill I say :

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #79
Kar
Side-Kick

How does Chris Brown fit the bill? Besides him being able to dance

Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #80
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar View Post
How does Chris Brown fit the bill? Besides him being able to dance
I was talking about his resemblance to the original Zack.
And of course his dancing skills
Zack was a gifted dancer

Old 12-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #81
Drizzle
Assemble Again

Hell to the ****ing no to Chris Brown. Zack is supposed to be likable. Why not Brandon T. Jackson?

Or better yet, Donald Glover?

Old 12-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #82
Blackman
C'mon Son

Michael B Jordan from The Wire and Chronicle? He'd be good. There are bunches of better choices than Chris Brown

Old 12-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #83
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

He's from Percy Jackson right?
Doesn't seem likable to me in that pic though

I think I could live with Donald Glover

Old 12-25-2012, 05:00 PM   #84
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Tatum? =/

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #85
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

Yeah why not?
he's quite buff and would make a good leader

Old 12-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #86
Blackman
C'mon Son

Tatum is 30 and doesnt look like he can play high school (they even pointed it out in 21 JUmp Street) and while I liked his work this year. He still hasnt proved to me that he can be a good lead in an action movie

I mean there are better choices for Jason Liam Hemsworth or Josh Hutcherson to name two

Are you choosing by looks or skill. At first you said: "I chose them by the looks" but then you said Tatum would make a good leader

Old 12-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #87
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackman View Post
Tatum is 30 and doesnt look like he can play high school (they even pointed it out in 21 JUmp Street) and while I liked his work this year. He still hasnt proved to me that he can be a good lead in an action movie

I mean there are better choices for Jason Liam Hemsworth or Josh Hutcherson to name two

Are you choosing by looks or skill. At first you said: "I chose them by the looks" but then you said Tatum would make a good leader
Primarily by the looks

I don't think age is a problem. We're talking about Hollywood! They made 28 year old Garfield look like a high schooler in The Amazing Spider-Man

Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #88
Blackman
C'mon Son

Garfield looks a lot younger than he is. Obviously play younger, but Tatum looks about his age maybe 5 years less. He would not make a convincing high schooler in a non comedy film

EDIT: In fact I dont think Ryan Merriman would make a good high schooler either.

Last edited by Blackman; 12-25-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #89
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Yeah why not?
he's quite buff and would make a good leader
I can't even buy him as Duke.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #90
DerSpider-Boy
T.u.f.k.a. Goran

Casting a new Tommy is very difficult imo
I couldn't think of any suitable actor.. :/

Old 12-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #91
Blackman
C'mon Son

My Cast Ideas

Josh Hutcherson. (The Hunger Games & The Kids Are Allright) as Jason

John Boyega. (Attack the Block) as Zack

Emma Roberts. (Scream 4 & It's Kind of a Funny Story) as Kimberly

Dylan O'Brien (Teen Wolf & The First Time) as Billy

Malese Jow (The Social Network & The Vampire Diaries) as Trini

Last edited by Blackman; 12-25-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #92
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

I actually wanna see a proper sequel to the original film with the original actors, where the characters, having retired in times of peace, have to come back 20 years later to protect the Earth again from Lord Zedd...

I was actually discussing a pretty cool idea along these lines with someone but I can't really go into details here/right now...

But whenever a Power Rangers reboot is brought up I always like to pimp the reboot idea I had... And an Avengers/Transformers tone/style would work great for a PR film.

- Zordon is a humanoid alien and not a giant head.
- Zordon and Zedd are of the same race, perhaps even brothers. They created the power rangers to act as guardians on their factioned/waring planet.
- There were 6 power coins in total and each symbolises a kind of energy or trait - Red - leadership/strength, Black - determination, Blue - intelligence, Pink - kindness, Yellow - loyalty and Green - jealousy/rage. The green coin, more powerful than others was only to be used in times of great need.
- The coins were created via channeling planetary energy into the coins. A mishap with the green coin is what led to it being a more powerful coin than the others.
- The coins power/energy would work by wrapping the user in a protective armour and give them a degree of hightened strength and reflexes (no powers or anything) and also allow the user to interface the respective zords.
- The coins only work with those who have certain 'genetic markers' and were handed out to those who were worthy to act as guardians. Zordon was entrusted as the Red Ranger.
- Zedd doesn't have this marker but unbeknown to Zordon, Zedd is plotting to take over and rule their planet. Inspired by the accident with the green coin, he secretly creates a 7th coin but the same mishap happens on a grander scale and the planets core/energy becomes unstable.
- Goldar is one of the original guardians but is loyal to Zedd. He uses the 7th coin which, due to its mass of power, makes him grow to a gigantic size. In the resulting battle, the planets core starts to tear apart.
- Zordon is entrusted with the 6 remaining power coins and flees his dying planet and the attacking army of Lord Zedd, in his ship - 'The Alpha-5' - which also serves as a command station and houses the Zords.
- Zedd has no powers like in the show but would be played as a great general and scheme similar to Loki. Rita is his queen who is always on the look out for a chance to backstab him and take over his army and Goldar is his loyal general.

- Zordon crash lands on earth, dying, he is confined to a life support chamber in his ship, which would slightly resemble the chamber from the series. Fearing Zedd will try to take over their planet, he gives the power coins to 5 teens who happen to be near to or investigating the crash site. From this chamber he would interact and guide the teens, similar to the series, without being a giant head in a tube.
- The team would involve either the 1st or 2nd group of characters but miss out Tommy until the 2nd film. Although Tommy can feature in the background.
- The group, from the local high school, are familiar with each other but aren't friends as they all belong to different social groups. Jason - athlete/jock, Zack - party guy, Billy - science whizz, Kimberly - cheerleader, Trina - musician. So the movie would be about them shedding their perceptions of each other (for example, while Zack is a party guy, underneath he wants to buckle down and make something of himself) and learning to come together as a team just as much as the action.
- The zords would be based on the dino zords from the first series. The zords, as part of the power of the coin, have the power to 'morph' into what each new user desires (so the zords whilst in use on Zordons planet would look like the Shogun Zords). Dinozords are chosen, when Billy is the first to touch the coins and, being a science buff, they pick up on his hobby/fascination with dinosaurs.
- While the zords would resemble the Dinozords they would have a more alien looking influence (similar to how Oozes Metamophocons were alien looking bugs in the first movie).
- The rangers, on a training mission, end up using the zords to help out when an earthquake causes the suspension bridge to start breaking up, where they gain media coverage and thus gain the moniker, 'Power Rangers'.
- Zedd, following Zordon to earth would send out his putty men to try and track down the teens and the power coins
- The putty men who would act as minor villains are Zedds army, a group of his dead people that he turned into zombie-like beings to do his bidding. The putty men would not be as 'dumb' as in the series and while not a major threat, would be somewhat harder to beat. Once defeated the putty men would become 'dead' again thus, giving Zedd the need to replenish his ranks whenever possible.
- The final showdown would be between the giant Goldar (who is bigger than the zords seperately but equal to the Megazord) and the Megazord.

The sequel would see Zedd finding the green power coin (lost in the crash of the Alpha-5 in the first film) which is the coin for the Dragon Zord, the biggest and most powerful Dinozord. Zedd would recruit Tommy and corrupt him with the power of the Green Coin. The 2nd film would basically be the whole Green Ranger saga... Leaving the 3rd film open to bring Tommy back as the White Ranger.

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #93
Vapor
Omlette Du Fromage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goran View Post
Casting a new Tommy is very difficult imo
I couldn't think of any suitable actor.. :/
They could always go just a little older than the others for Tommy but depending if you think he can pass for a high schooler or not (and I dunno if he could do a convincing american accent) I reckon Iwan Rheon from Misfits and Game of Thrones (although I haven't seen him in this) could make a pretty good Tommy/Green Ranger..

Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinkin' of Wilma.
Lister: This is stupid. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

~ R.I.P Venom_UK
Vapor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #94
Blackman
C'mon Son

i also think that they should use different types of martial arts. Like the rangers should have different styles

Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #95
xisaacx
trademarks us miserable

Ooof never thought id say this but Michael Bay could do this justice, all those big machines like transformers.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #96
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisaacx View Post
Ooof never thought id say this but Michael Bay could do this justice, all those big machines like transformers.
I imagine we'd like to be able to tell what dinosaur inspired a given zord.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #97
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

If Pacific Rim does well, you'll hear word of a reboot more than likely.

terry78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #98
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisaacx View Post
No thank you. We'd probably get someone like her as the Pink Ranger then.

Power Rangers may not be the most sophisticated form of entertainment, but I don't want it to turn into brain dead cinema either.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #99
PunisherFC
Side-Kick

heres what i'd do IMO:

Title: MMPR

cast:
Jason:Steven Strait
Zack:Kevin Duhaney
Billy: Dylan O'Brien
Kimberly: Kat Dennings
Trini:Wenwen Han
Lord Zedd: Tim Curry
Rita: Lucy Liu
Zordon:Tom Hiddleston
Tommy: Dane DeHaan

- Opens on a distant planet, devoured by war and seeing its final moments. An alien king is led to a council, where a suspect is on trial for war crimes. The king enters the chambers to see the figure seated and cloaked. The king begins questioning the figure, who claims he is simply a herald for the "old one". The king calls the suspect a fool, and asks him if he realizes he is on trial and surly would be sentenced to death. The figure claims the "old one" is coming for Rita, and that THEY will meet a fate much worse then his own if they don't turn her over.
The king and the council mock the figure, laughing at him and his belief in the existence of the "old one". The council questions him on why he brought this war to them, and who really sent him. The figure mumbles some things in his native tongue, and appears to be talking to someone. the figure claims HE is here, and that the last few minuets of their pathetic lives they should give the "old one" what he wants.
The sky turns a pale grey, as the clouds swirl in an ominous way. A loud deep howling can be heard, the roar vibrating the huge glass windows. The king rushes to the window to see parts of a serpent body, circling around the skies through the clouds. The king demands to know whats going on from the figure, as the figure whispers in the kings ear "ZEDD". The doors explode off the hinges and the room goes dark, an army of disfigured creatures storm the room which is lit by flashes of lazer gun fire. The creatures Maim everyone but the seated figure and the king, in the after math the king begs the figure to stop this massacre.
The figure stands tall vastly larger then the king, and uncloaks to reveal his red putrid flesh. Incrusted with shards of metal, acting as an almost ecto skeleton. The figure who's face we can't fully see, stares down at the king who claims "ZEDD? the old one". Zedd chuckles to himself before getting the information from the king, that he had come here for. The information leads him to Earth, Zedd fades out of the room almost like a hologram. The king then last minute sends a distress message to Zordon. In the last few seconds we go to the sky to see Serpentera. The large serpent circling the planet, it is ominous and armored. Zedd gives his orders from his throne to destroy it. Serpentera destroys the planet.

- the first act we meet the angel grove seniors Jason, Zack, Billy,Trini and Kimberly. Jason and Zack are best friends, Zack loves women and is part of his schools hip-hop dance club. easy going and lovable, friends with almost everyone. Jason is the un-jock like jock, who is team lead on the varsity lacrosse team and martial arts senior student in the karate club at Angel Grove High. Jason keeps the other teammates from picking on Billy, Billy is looked at as the school geek. That couldn't be further from the truth, as Billy is into science and inventing. However he prefers working on devices to prove existence of aliens and other dimensions. Almost like a conspiracy theorist but with facts. Trini is his best friend since childhood, and has been his neighbor since they were in 1st grade. After her parents died, Billy's family took her in as their own. Kimberly is the popular by many, but most trashed talked about behind her back in the school. Kim looked at as the hot school gymnastics lead by the guys, the girls think she is a hoe. She in fact feels very insecure, and can't relate to the peers she is supposed to like. Kim and Jason have a brief past, a relationship where Jason broke things up.
Enter Tommy, the new kid who not much is known about yet. Tommy competes with jason's ego, and plays with him mentally by using Kimberly.

- Angel Grove has a small meteor shower, the meteors get a little too close and some crash around Angel grove.
- Crews are hired to repair some damage to the streets and buildings, one repair crew uncover Rita's prison chamber imbedded in the meteor remains. They call for someone to come in to look at it.
- Billy breaks a transmission code, believed to be from an alien race. he convinces Trini to help him locate the source using a device he created, which appears to be coming from the outskirts of Angel Grove.
- Billy and Trini uncover the signal deep in a mountain, that is in the old forbidden rock formation called Mount Zeo.
- They uncover the command center, and in a hilarious encounter they meet Alpha 5. the signal came from the command centers radar inceptor becon thing, that was responding to the coming of Rita.
-They receive a distress signal from the king, who informs them Zedd is headed to earth.
- Rita's container is being researched by a team, they are close to breaking the sophisticated seal.
- tommy Joins Jason's Karate Club and have a not so friendly sparring match, Kimberly watches in aww of Tommy. Zack is rooting for Jason while the seal on Rita's container is broken.
- Rita unleashed watches as Goldar maims everyone in the room, they exit the building to see where they are. using her "star map" she see they are on earth, which she knows is home to the Alien Zordon.
-The command center goes nuts, Alpha brings up images of Rita being swarmed by police and swat, as she starts a huge path of destruction.

-Second act Billy tells Trini they must help evacuate the High School, as Jasons Karate club is going on tonight and Rita's path of destruction is close by it.
-The commotion from the battle draws the attention of Jason, Zack and kim as well as everyone in the school.
-Panic overtakes the school, as alarms go off and the nation guard come roaring by.
-Billy and Trini show up and offer Jason a ride, Zack comes with.
-Tommy ditches Kim to investigate the excitement, she gets a ride from Trini.
- Billy tries telling Jason what they found, and Trini tries to translate for everyone.
-After a few narrow misses from the battle, which the guard wont let them near. Billy takes them all to the command center, by this time they all see Alpha has awaken Zordon.
-Billy gloats that he was telling the truth, as Jason wants to know what the place is and whats going on.
-Zordon explains the situation and Jason and Billy agree that it's their home, they should try to defend it while everyone else is very skeptical.
-The teens are given there ranger gear, and are sent down to stop Rita's first attack. It gets messy, Billy is the only one who seems to quickly be learning how to use it.
-Rita flees and the whole National Guard is aiming at the rangers. They are transported back to the command center.
-They go under training while the city is hunting for the rangers, the teens must keep their identities secret.
-Rita sets up a second mass attack using finster to create a shape-shifting puddy army, whom will use the Xeno-13 parasite to infect the people of Angel Grove into a monster army.
-There is some lack of team effort in the Ranger group, and while at school taking a break from training, Tommy accidentally see's Jason speak with Aplha-5 Thus learning their secret.
-Rita attacks again with the putties, they successfully use the Xeno-13 parasite. it infects a random guardsmen patrolling the streets, and he begins to shape shift horrifically.
-Tommy follows the rangers as they battle the puddies, and try to contain the Xeno-13 from "evolving".
-Tommy narrowly escapes but is questioned by Goldar, Tommy bargains his life for info on the rangers for Rita.

-The third act the rangers lose the Xeno-13, and regroup at the command center.
-it was a hard battle after having to deal with the creature, plus the guard coming at them and the lack of team work. Zordon encourages them that this is serious, and they need to team together their planet depends on it. He tells them a bit of his and Rita's history.
-Tommy gives Rita the identities of the rangers, she offers him to join her. tommy bows to her, as she hands him something. He looks at his hands, and his face is lit with a green light as the sixth coin corrupts him.
-The seaboard of Angel Grove has a massive whirlpool, an enormous creature arises it's the "evolved" Xeno-13 parasite. It attacks the city, smashing into buildings an roaring away.
-The rangers are called in, they try to stop the creature and barely can phase it. The rangers are given there greatest weapon, the PR-93 series Zords. mechs that resemble the ancient god beasts the dinosaurs. The rangers board the zords, and try stoping the monster.
-Finally after an almost defeat, they start to realize true team work and team together to finally stop the creature.
-They use the MegaZord mode, and give the final blow to the Xeno-13 parasite, while also saving the guard and people of angel grove.
- Rita is betrayed by Tommy and her base is destroyed, she is thought to not have survived.
-The Rangers rejoice, as the city the next day celebrates them as heroes.
-The end of the film sees the rangers celebrate, as a worried Alpha-5 talks to Zordon about the Zedd transmission.
-We see a a hidden temple base, taken over by Goldar who walks up to a throne asking the figure what to do next. The figure turns around to see it's Tommy, in full green ranger suit.

-End credit's scene:
A ship enters earth's path, we see Zedd again, this time he fully reveals himself and marks earth for his next conquer. behind his ship follows the massive serpentera.

Notes:
- suits are redesigned, more functional still resemble dinosaurs but it encompasses the design more.
-Zordon is in a tube still, but as part of the Great War he was locked in a dimensional rift, and the tube keeps the portal open for communication. he is freed in the second film.
-the green coin in Rita's possession became fueled with evil, and thus corrupts the user.
-Rita looks very different, she is a space witch so would resemble that.
-Goldar is more monstrous, Zedd is character makeup with Tim curry.
-Battles would be epic.
-PG-13 as the tone would be very dark, yet very epic as there should be a sense of a npt so happy ending if things dont go right.
-Film would explain back story, but would also leave things to be explained in the sequel and Rita is not really dead.

This is just a brief outline, the actual film would have much more meat, and flow real nice with all the action and drama.

PunisherFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #100
Blackman
C'mon Son

I like most of the outline. I'd do things differently, but I like a lot of your ideas. I dont think that Tommy should be in the first film at all. Maybe a small easter egg/cameo but not as a full role.

I think the cast is all over the place though. You have someone born 1995 who is suppose to be the same age as people in their 20s. And most of the people in their 20s dont look like they can play high schoolers.